PDA

View Full Version : Driven Grips

R1up0n1
05-31-2008, 10:21 PM
I just ordered a set of black driven gel grips for my R1.
I've been doing some research and everyone is raving about these....so I figured I'd give them a shot. I got them for $17.00 no shipping. Some places were 12, but shipping costs took them over $23.00

I've used progrips in the past, but they always wore down so quickly, and when I wrecked my old R1 both grips flew off to god knows where and no one was ever able to find them...so hopefully these Driven grips will be a lot better.
:dthumb:
http://www.motomummy.com/store/product.php?productid=16142&cat=0&page=1

NONE_too_SOFT
05-31-2008, 10:23 PM
even w/ grip glue they flew off?

R1up0n1
05-31-2008, 10:27 PM
yeah...but I didn't cake on the grip glue last time....I think this time I will, but not too excessive.

However with the speed I wrecked at....those grips probably wouldn't have held on too well with excessive amount of grip glue.

NONE_too_SOFT
05-31-2008, 10:29 PM
dont over do it. too much and you'll get an uneven feel, i've heard.

R1up0n1
05-31-2008, 10:31 PM
dont over do it. too much and you'll get an uneven feel, i've heard.

I'll just put a few strips down the bar that will hold it. I don't want the shit oozing out on the edges.

NONE_too_SOFT
05-31-2008, 10:38 PM
xactly what your looking for.

after all, if you were to go down, is the first thing your going to be thinking about your 17 dollar grips or your 7.5k bike anyways, hah.

Mr Lefty
05-31-2008, 10:54 PM
you might run a little under wear your palm would be but more on the underside where your fingers would be... and for me... since I two finger jones it 99% of the time... I could put a huge glob of glue under where my index finger WOULD be if I just gripped the bar and wouldn't notice shit.

Phenix_Rider
06-01-2008, 09:41 AM
I used hairspray to mount my grips. No problems with them slipping. Just fog the inside, and the liquid spray acts as a lube until it dries. Whatever's cheap is perfect. No lumps or anything.

Mr Lefty
06-01-2008, 09:45 AM
I used hairspray to mount my grips. No problems with them slipping. Just fog the inside, and the liquid spray acts as a lube until it dries. Whatever's cheap is perfect. No lumps or anything.
That's a pretty slick idea...

NeonspeedRT
06-01-2008, 11:32 AM
Aquanet hairspray works awseome. You can buy a big can of it at walmart for around $2. Spray it on the inside of the grip and slide it on. Give it about 30 minutes to dry and you are good to go. The grips won't slip or ever come loose. I've done this with about 4 pairs of grips. It works perfectly every time.

I just ordered a set of black driven gel grips for my R1. I've been doing some research and everyone is raving about these....so I figured I'd give them a shot. I got them for $17.00 no shipping. Some places were 12, but shipping costs took them over $23.00

I got my driven grips from Motomummy as well. I saw everyone on the R1 forums raving about them. So I put them on back in March. I just took them off last weekend. I put about 3000 miles on the bike between March and the end of May. Already they had several spots that were worn down on both grips. I'm talking like totally flat. I never had that happen with any pairs of progrips I ever used.

As far as comfort, I like the "grippy" factor of the grips. But I definatly felt more vibration in the handlebars with them. Even though they were a "gel" style grip. For the money, i'd go with a set of progrips everytime.

DLIT
06-01-2008, 01:51 PM
Who is this guy?

Mr Lefty
06-01-2008, 04:30 PM
I dunno... but he stole R1UPON1's name... bastard :lol:

marko138
06-01-2008, 04:40 PM
I use nothing to glue the grips. Blow them bitches up like a balloon with a compressor and slide them right on. Never had issue with them moving.

R1up0n1
06-01-2008, 04:53 PM
Aquanet hairspray works awseome. You can buy a big can of it at walmart for around $2. Spray it on the inside of the grip and slide it on. Give it about 30 minutes to dry and you are good to go. The grips won't slip or ever come loose. I've done this with about 4 pairs of grips. It works perfectly every time.

I got my driven grips from Motomummy as well. I saw everyone on the R1 forums raving about them. So I put them on back in March. I just took them off last weekend. I put about 3000 miles on the bike between March and the end of May. Already they had several spots that were worn down on both grips. I'm talking like totally flat. I never had that happen with any pairs of progrips I ever used.

As far as comfort, I like the "grippy" factor of the grips. But I definatly felt more vibration in the handlebars with them. Even though they were a "gel" style grip. For the money, i'd go with a set of progrips everytime.

Ehh I hope I don't have those problems with the grips. If I do then it won't be a huge loss...I've wasted more money than $17 before.

Phenix_Rider
06-01-2008, 06:08 PM
I use nothing to glue the grips. Blow them bitches up like a balloon with a compressor and slide them right on. Never had issue with them moving.

The progrips I had slid all over the damn place before I took them off. I didn't like the feel anyway, so I put the stockers back on. Never had a problem since. 10,000 miles on the stock grips and they don't show any wear.

R1up0n1
06-01-2008, 10:14 PM
The progrips I had slid all over the damn place before I took them off. I didn't like the feel anyway, so I put the stockers back on. Never had a problem since. 10,000 miles on the stock grips and they don't show any wear.

My stock grips have 9,100 miles on them now and they are showing wear, and I'm so tired of the virations causing my hands to fall asleep.

R1up0n1
06-04-2008, 08:45 PM
The new grips showed up today so I put them on. I can't test them out since its freakin raining out tonight...I need to let the grip glue dry anyway.