PDA

View Full Version : Help! Heading to the Gap for first time.

snobuny
09-06-2010, 08:07 AM
So, my husband and I have the week off. We were planning on riding/fishing in Michigan and Canada but the weather up here sucks so we are going South.

I have no reservations and have never been there. We are packing the truck, throwing the bikes in the trailer and driving south. We are going to have 4-5 days of riding and will be heading home next weekend.

Any assistance on places we should see, good place to stay, etc. would be extremely helpful. We would like a quiet place to stay that will accomidate the truck/trailer parking, nothing fancy needed just a bed and a hot shower, but wireless internet would be nice.

Other than wanting to ride the dragon once when there we are open for suggestions. I will be in the truck for 10+ hours so will have plenty of time to study the map.

Thanks, Lynne

Trip
09-06-2010, 10:06 AM
Fontana village is great and in the middle of everything.

If you want real quiet. Rent a cabin in townsend.

I am not at home right now but I can give you some more pointers tomorrow. There are tons of options.

09-06-2010, 01:06 PM
The Gap? Last time I went, they had some nice Polo shirts on sale. I got 4.

caveman
09-11-2010, 12:26 AM
I want to go back to the gap. Whats it like in the later months, Trip? Like in October?

Trip
09-11-2010, 12:45 AM
I want to go back to the gap. Whats it like in the later months, Trip? Like in October?

Better than summer, you should get gas man to come on halloween or the weekend after to watch some fiddy racing.

less crowds, better temps

derf
09-11-2010, 08:46 AM

Thank god the people were my biggest negative about the place

snobuny
09-11-2010, 09:23 PM
On the way home right now.

We did it right. Rode Monday through Friday! Basically saw very few bikes/traffic except for Friday. Had an awesome time. Hit tons of great rodes I.e. wayah, 28, 321, 129, foothills parkway, 73. And many more. Had a couple of 300 + mile day.

All together a great trip! Not bad for just packing our gear and picking a spot. Can't wait to do it again.

dReWpY
09-12-2010, 12:19 AM
Were you around last night and today? I was in the silver wrx and it was horrible out

snobuny
09-12-2010, 11:37 AM
We left saturday morning in the rain.......missed the crappy weather but will have to wash the truck/trailer today.

We saw several bikes riding in the rain.....not my idea of a good time. Yes I am a trailer snob and a fair weather rider! My bike was snug and cozy in her covered trailer and I won't have to clean her too much today.

We are back in Michigan and will work for 3 days then off to Parkersburg, WV for a long weekend next week. I love fall riding!

Gas Man
09-12-2010, 10:26 PM
Better than summer, you should get gas man to come on halloween or the weekend after to watch some fiddy racing.

That would require me having days off.

Let's see what I have...

Coming soon... weekend off for a preplanned mc trip
Oct weekend... going south with wife & dog to visit some out of state friends
Next weekend off is Nov. = SUCK

snobuny
09-16-2010, 05:22 PM
for those that are interested just a few pics we took on our little trip

http://www.mook-photo.com/webs/sumo/dealsgap2010/

can't wait to get back there!!!!!

z06boy
09-17-2010, 09:43 AM
Nice pics and looks like you guys had a blast. I know the wife and I do when we're out riding.

Trip
09-17-2010, 10:00 AM
looks like yall had fun.

Stay away from the butterflies though, they really like to hang out in shit.

Looni2ns
09-22-2010, 07:24 PM
Great pics! Glad you were able to meet up with Stephanie. Meet up with any others that were there for the Women's Sportbike Rally?

snobuny
09-22-2010, 09:31 PM
no, we didn't even realize that it was going on that weekend. Then it rained cats and dogs on saturday so we headed home. Just a fluke that I recognised Stephanie's leathers. I haven't seen her since she moved to WV. It definately was a nice suprise.

It may be a yearly trip from now on as long as the weather holds out. We really enjoyed that week after labor day....not too many people and the temps were great. Gonna tentitvely put it on the calendar for next year!