PDA

View Full Version : Dyno Day.

Cutty72
06-04-2008, 12:08 AM
Well, hit a local bike night tonight, and low and behold they had a dyno set up.
$20 for a run, and the guys went nuts when I told them what I was riding.

3 runs in 5th gear. 129.85 hp and topped out at 154 mph in 5th.

I got video of it and the dyno sheet, but no way to get either on here, as I'm on a military computer :no:

If i can figure out where to hook up to get a tach signal, he'll run it again for free to get the torque specs as well.

I was high man for the night, until a kid on an 05 Busa showed up.
Full Yosh TRS exhause, no PC or filter. 162 hp.
05 CBR 1000 Repsol Hotbodies exhaust - 142 hp.
05 GSXR 1000 Full Micron exhaust - 150 hp.

t-homo
06-04-2008, 12:16 AM
Congrats man. I really want to get mine dynoed sometime, just to see what it really has.

Cutty72
06-04-2008, 01:03 AM
here's some vids and pics

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa150/Cutty72/1125R/buell001.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa150/Cutty72/1125R/buell002.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa150/Cutty72/1125R/th_buell007.jpg (http://s203.photobucket.com/albums/aa150/Cutty72/1125R/?action=view&current=buell007.flv)

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa150/Cutty72/1125R/th_buell008.jpg (http://s203.photobucket.com/albums/aa150/Cutty72/1125R/?action=view&current=buell008.flv)

PiZdETS
06-04-2008, 01:08 AM
Love that first vid with the guy getting a lesson on what bike it is.
"is that the new one" "no aftermarket pipe yet" "how high does it rev?...-really with a harley engine? ...oh"

Sounds okay, definatley need a pipe to let it sing properly. Maybe just gut the stock muffler if you're short on funds for now.

Mr Lefty
06-04-2008, 03:44 AM
PIMP. yeah I can't wait to hear that bitch with an aftermarket pipe!

marko138
06-04-2008, 08:54 AM
Buell claims 134hp. 129 is not bad at all. Now...if KD could just get his shit together and put a pipe out for that thing.

Mr Lefty
06-04-2008, 09:00 AM
I imagine it's a pain to not fuckup that bueltifuly flat torque... ya know?

z06boy
06-04-2008, 09:36 AM
:rockout: Nice bike. I would have liked to have seen the torque #'s on that thing.

DLIT
06-04-2008, 05:13 PM
You only have 5 gears on your bike?

Cutty72
06-04-2008, 07:01 PM
You only have 5 gears on your bike?

no, 6. he runs it one down from top gear. 6th on the 1125 is over a 1 to 1 ratio.

ran the harleys in 4th
ran the other sport bikes in 5th as well.

Sounds okay, definatley need a pipe to let it sing properly. Maybe just gut the stock muffler if you're short on funds for now.

Yeah, I'd love to open it up, but it's all welded... so cutting and rewelding would be required. not my thing.

wish I had the funds for a Saron pipe... the numbers look great and the pipe isn't bad looking or sounding.

t-homo
06-04-2008, 07:07 PM
Thanks Cutty. What is the secret? I figured copying the code from there would work.

Cutty72
06-04-2008, 07:10 PM
Saron Pipe

FAIL

Saron
Roughly $1400 to get

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQlpb8ewnRk

D&D
About $600

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0A9nbjnCpo

t-homo
06-04-2008, 07:14 PM
See two posts above.

Cutty72
06-04-2008, 07:15 PM
See two posts above.

copy the web address not the code
it auto embeds it for ya

No Worries
06-04-2008, 09:36 PM
...129.85 hp and topped out at 154 mph in 5th...If i can figure out where to hook up to get a tach signal, he'll run it again for free to get the torque specs as well...
130 hp at the rear wheel is very nice. Couldn't he take a tack reading off a spark plug wire?

Just to refresh everyone about engines: Engines make torque, not horsepower. The dyno measures torque and uses a formula to convert the torque to horsepower. Torque x engine speed/5,252 = HP. Therefore, torque and horsepower at 5,252 rpm are always equal. And an engine is most efficient near it's torque peak.

Cutty72
06-04-2008, 10:23 PM
130 hp at the rear wheel is very nice. Couldn't he take a tack reading off a spark plug wire?

Just to refresh everyone about engines: Engines make torque, not horsepower. The dyno measures torque and uses a formula to convert the torque to horsepower. Torque x engine speed/5,252 = HP. Therefore, torque and horsepower at 5,252 rpm are always equal. And an engine is most efficient near it's torque peak.

Yup. Have to tear off the whole airbox assembly to get at the front one.
Didn't realize (until tonight) how easy it is to get at the rear... just remove the seat. :panic:

Provided there is no rain, I'll run it tomorrow night.

Mr Lefty
06-04-2008, 10:31 PM

so then how did they caculate the hp with out knowing the torque?!

marko138
06-05-2008, 08:56 AM
D&D sucks. And the Saron looks like butt. Someone (DRUMMER!) needs to get one worked up that stays under the bike where it belongs.

Cutty72
06-05-2008, 10:37 AM
D&D sucks. And the Saron looks like butt. Someone (DRUMMER!) needs to get one worked up that stays under the bike where it belongs.

:iagree:

The saron is under the bike, but could be better looking.

I'm waiting for drummer or special ops to get something done.

No Worries
06-05-2008, 11:06 AM

The dyno measures torque. You mean: How did they calculate hp without knowing the rpm? According to the formula, they have to know the engine's rpm in order to calculate the hp.

Mr Lefty
06-05-2008, 04:14 PM
The dyno measures torque. You mean: How did they calculate hp without knowing the rpm? According to the formula, they have to know the engine's rpm in order to calculate the hp.

yeah that's what I meant... I wasn't questioning you NW... I know your right... I'm just wondering how the hell they got any reading at all... :idk:

Cutty72
06-05-2008, 04:34 PM
I'm guessing they get it somehow off of the speed.

Mr Lefty
06-05-2008, 04:37 PM
... huh... so you going back tonight to do it again?

fnfalman
06-05-2008, 04:37 PM
Okay, let's back it up here and allow me to correct a few things. Without going into the whole course of thermodynamics and calculus and all that shits, I just want to say that the engine makes both TORQUE and HORSEPOWER.

Yes, it's true that you multiple torque by whatever number to get horsepower, BUT that does not mean that an engine makes only torque and horsepower is some sort of foofoo affair.

An engine makes Work (in this case known as torque). This Work (energy with unit of measurement such as Pound-Feet, Newton-Meter, Joule, etc.) generated over an amount of time (seconds, minutes, hours, months, years, etc.) equals Power. Power has many units of measurements (Watts, Horsepower, etc.) and in automotive we just happen to use Horsepower.

In the simplest thermodynamics terms, Energy = Work (not all the times but in this case it is) = Force x Distance. Hence you have Pound-Feet or Newton-Meter (aka Joules). Work/Time = Power (Joules/Second = Watt and Watt can be converted to Horsepower or any other units of measurements for Power).

Cutty72
06-05-2008, 04:40 PM
... huh... so you going back tonight to do it again?

Provided the thunderstorms and tornado's hold off...

fnfalman
06-05-2008, 04:41 PM

That's why the dyno has the weighted drum that your bike's rear tire turns. That drum is weighted and calibrated. How fast it turns is calculated into horsepower. That's why it doesn't require your bike to have the RPM (aka attaching the clip to the sparkplug wire) to calculate for horsepower. However, it doesn't KNOW how fast your engine is turning, so if you were to want torque measurement then it needs to know your RPM via the spark plug connection thingie so that it can calculate backward from horsepower reading at the rotating weighted drum against your engine's RPM in order to calculate for your bike's torque.

Mr Lefty
06-05-2008, 04:56 PM
intresting... I know when I did my dyno runs they had trouble getting my tank off and said with out the RPM's they couldn't do anything... could just be diffrent dyno :idk:

good to know fnfalman

fnfalman
06-05-2008, 06:45 PM
intresting... I know when I did my dyno runs they had trouble getting my tank off and said with out the RPM's they couldn't do anything... could just be diffrent dyno :idk:

good to know fnfalman

Could be. I'm only familiar with the Dynojet dyno, and I know that they don't need your bike's RPM to measure horsepower.

Phenix_Rider
06-05-2008, 09:36 PM
the spark plug connection thingie

Amp Clamp or Gausse Loop (or Hall Effect sensor for DC). Detects current by the magnetic field it creates moving through a conductor.

Cutty72
06-06-2008, 12:30 AM
Ok... night started out nice, so I went

Ran it again.

129.59 hp
74.35 ft/lb of torque.

Very respectable, and just about everyone was supprised by the numbers.:whistle:

I will scan in the dyno chart when I get home next week.

Also ran a 06 GSXR 750... 117 hp
05 R1 with Yamaha race baffles 140 hp.

see story of afterwards in my blog...

marko138
06-06-2008, 08:45 AM
Ok... night started out nice, so I went

Ran it again.

129.59 hp
74.35 ft/lb of torque.

Very respectable, and just about everyone was supprised by the numbers.:whistle:

I will scan in the dyno chart when I get home next week.

Also ran a 06 GSXR 750... 117 hp
05 R1 with Yamaha race baffles 140 hp.

see story of afterwards in my blog...
Thats great man. Show some fucking respect for the Buell.

Cutty72
06-06-2008, 08:49 AM
Thats great man. Show some fucking respect for the Buell.

Thanks.

DLIT
06-06-2008, 04:41 PM
What kind of dyno was it? Just roll up and run it or did they hook up wires and shit, then run it?

Cutty72
06-07-2008, 02:48 AM
What kind of dyno was it? Just roll up and run it or did they hook up wires and shit, then run it?

DynoJet
Roll up, strap down, hook up wires for tach signal (if you could get at 'em) throw a sniffer in the pipe for air/fuel (again if possible) and then run it.

What other kind is there?

DLIT
06-07-2008, 03:46 AM
DynoJet
Roll up, strap down, hook up wires for tach signal (if you could get at 'em) throw a sniffer in the pipe for air/fuel (again if possible) and then run it.

What other kind is there?

Here's my dyno sheet from the 1st time.
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g189/DLIT_2006/IMG.jpg

A couple weeks after there was a place giving out free dyno runs. But this place didn't hook ANY wires up. You rolled it on the dyno and they ran it straight like that. I guess they got their numbers from the movement of the wheel only, maybe something else, but I got a 111 on that day. I'm sticking with the 108 because I had all the wires hooked and all that, that's why I asked what they did for you.

marko138
06-07-2008, 11:21 AM
I didn't have any wires hooked up either when I did the Zuk. Just roll up and run.

Cutty72
06-07-2008, 12:39 PM
The only thing you gain by "hooking up the wires" is your torque spec. They hook up the wire to get a tach signal to read RPM's.
Without that, all you get is HP.

I love the fact that I have more torque at the start than you have anywhere. :lol: twins FTW

marko138
06-07-2008, 02:53 PM
The only thing you gain by "hooking up the wires" is your torque spec. They hook up the wire to get a tach signal to read RPM's.

I love the fact that I have more torque at the start than you have anywhere. :lol: twins FTW
Twins for the MOTHERFUCKING WIN. I make nearly double the R6 torque at 6,000 rpm.

DLIT
06-07-2008, 03:47 PM

You have a lot to learn, my friend. Your bike will never be better than mine. Why? 80% rider, that's why.

Cutty72
06-07-2008, 06:54 PM
You have a lot to learn, my friend. Your bike will never be better than mine. Why? 80% rider, that's why.

SO... we put a good rider on your bike, then let him ride mine, and see what happens.

Never said I was a great racer, hell, I'm signing up for my first track day next week when I get back home.

Mr Lefty
06-07-2008, 09:36 PM
I know your results for the dyno depend on altitude... but are the numbers higher or lower at sea level?

My Dyno reads less than several others who have the same bike but a slip on and I have a full system... granted I know it could be I really am putting out less... but just wondering. I really need to get it dyno tuned

DLIT
06-07-2008, 09:50 PM
SO... we put a good rider on your bike, then let him ride mine, and see what happens.

Never said I was a great racer, hell, I'm signing up for my first track day next week when I get back home.

Everybody knows what'll happen except you. There's a reason why you don't see Buell in the AMA.

t-homo
06-07-2008, 09:52 PM
Not positive, but I think sea level will get you better numbers. Because the air is more dense.

Dnyce
06-08-2008, 01:28 AM
make more power at sea level.
less humid, make more power.
few other weather things, but thats the main 2 i think

Cutty72
06-08-2008, 03:15 AM
Everybody knows what'll happen except you. There's a reason why you don't see Buell in the AMA.

ummm... cause until now the only engine option was air cooled and only reved out to 6K?

Give them time. The 1125 is on par with the Duc's for handling. A couple years and I belive they'll put up a good showing.

Hell, could even be sooner. Found this on badweb.

Monday, May 26, 2008

This just in from Daytona Motorsports Group:

Daytona Motorsports Group
Daytona Superbike Equipment Rules and Regulations

All machines eligible for participation in Daytona Superbike must be approved by AMA Pro Racing and homologated by the manufacturer. Approval of homologation will require acontingency awards program that rewards the first five finishers competing on the homologated machine, by brand and model. Machines currently eligible for homologation by their manufacturer or distributor for competition in 2009 are:
Aprilia Tuono
BMW HP2 Sport
Buell 1125R
Ducati 848
Ducati S4R
Honda CBR600RR
Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R
KTM Super Duke
MV Brutale 910S
Suzuki GSX-R750
Suzuki GSX-R600
Triumph Daytona 675
Yamaha YZF-R6

Don't know why you're hating on the Buell so bad.
Is it cause it's a twin?
Is it cause it's (somewhat) American made?
Or is it just cause it's not what you ride....

Mr Lefty
06-08-2008, 03:21 AM
cause he's Dlit...

Dlit= Mad hater status

Cutty72
06-08-2008, 03:22 AM
cause he's Dlit...

Dlit= Mad hater status

The Yamaha R6 could be the only bike in the world, and his would still be better :lol:

DLIT
06-08-2008, 08:45 AM
cause he's Dlit...

Dlit= Mad hater status

Fuck that. Everybody thinks Buell is the shit because they have high torque numbers. That shit isn't gonna matter when they don't have the hp to carry them into real speeds. The 1125 is WAY better, performance wise than the older Buells and I respect that. But that upper kills me. Doesn't flow with the rest of the bike, which looks cool.

The Yamaha R6 could be the only bike in the world, and his would still be better :lol:

I'm actually a humble guy, but I speak my mind.

Mr Lefty
06-08-2008, 09:18 AM
I don't think Buell is the shit... I just like Vtwins... I love the sound... and the torque is nice for everyday riding... and... with the exception of Drewpy's RC51 and I guess the 1125R... they get a little better gas milage... or at least from what I've seen.

I'm still tentive about Buell... especially with all the first year jitters in the 1125R. I think I may look pasta when my time comes...

DLIT
06-08-2008, 09:20 AM
What an 1125 cost?

Mr Lefty
06-08-2008, 09:22 AM
$12k... some are as high as $14...

I was think'n of putting a deposit on one here... through the exchange sales and picking it up in October 09... (wouldn't start paying or financing till I pick it up)... but too many issues to solve before i do that...

think'n maybe an older Tuono

marko138
06-08-2008, 11:04 AM
Fuck that. Everybody thinks Buell is the shit because they have high torque numbers. That shit isn't gonna matter when they don't have the hp to carry them into real speeds. The 1125 is WAY better, performance wise than the older Buells and I respect that. But that upper kills me. Doesn't flow with the rest of the bike, which looks cool.

I'm actually a humble guy, but I speak my mind.
What the fuck are real speeds? My XB will do 130. Tell me where the hell you are gonna need to go faster than that? Oh thats right...no where.

DLIT
06-08-2008, 11:29 AM
What the fuck are real speeds? My XB will do 130. Tell me where the hell you are gonna need to go faster than that? Oh thats right...no where.

Um...Miller Motorsports Park. The front straight is literally almost 1/2 a mile. But that's the track, street you really don't need it. I need it because I like going 160 on deserted roads in the middle of nowhere and there's plenty out here to do it on.

Cutty72
06-08-2008, 01:27 PM
What an 1125 cost?

MSRP is $11995. Some guys were paying over that... they were dumb.
I got mine for $12000 out the door.

1125 put down 165 on the dyno. So figure 155-160 on the street.

Should find out at BIR, if i have the cojonas. Experienced guys are going into turn one at 180-200... middleweights go in redline 6th gear...

DLIT
06-08-2008, 02:19 PM
Got a layout of BIR?

Cutty72
06-08-2008, 03:53 PM
Got a layout of BIR?

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa150/Cutty72/Forum%20stuff/layout.jpg

and I found a youtube vid of the track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9hFbYmRL8I

marko138
06-08-2008, 04:39 PM
The problem is most of you clowns need to check your ego and come out of the clouds and get back to reality. Perhaps realize that you are not and never will be Valentino Rossi.

DLIT
06-08-2008, 05:30 PM
The problem is most of you clowns need to check your ego and come out of the clouds and get back to reality. Perhaps realize that you are not and never will be Valentino Rossi.

Problem is, because a guy has more experience, you think he's got an ego.

marko138
06-08-2008, 06:20 PM
I don't give a shit about how much experience a guy has. I look out for number 1.

PiZdETS
06-08-2008, 06:55 PM
All the interviews I've read with Erik Buell stated that he has no immediate plans to go racing. He designs buell's to be great on the road and I haven't met a buell owner who doesn't love the shit out of them. As the designers stated intent was to make a bike that was fun to ride first and foremost as opposed to track dominating; it's an error to start benchracing with buell's in mind for this reason, they arent racing machines.

A lot of sportbikes are good on the track and good on the street but to be really good on the track it seems like there's a point where you start sacrificing street usability in exchange for track prowess.
Really seems like with the 1125R they're going in the direction of track ability and most of the mag reviews I read of it were held at tracks. Just because it can't hang with the jap and Italian makers on track doesn't mean it can't be as fun or more fun than them on track with the use of clever designs and user friendliness. Lap times aint everything!

Honestly though I don't blame Buell for holding off on getting into racing- look at how deep the market is for homolagated track specials, full to the brim of Japanese and Italian makers oozing cash and experience.
Also- to survive in the liter class they would have to undergo the penalty of displacement reduction which would be game ending as they only make 130 hp with the additional 125 cc's over I4 literbikes as is- a deficit of nearly 40 horsepower compared to the newest crop of literbikes. They could possibly get a rule exception as Ducati did in WSBK since they're running fewer cylinders.
Obviously the new engine needs some development in reliability and power to be competitive as the old guard of sportbike makers has been releasing bikes you can beat the shit out of ontrack without much additional maintenance problems for nearly 10 years now.

Trip
06-08-2008, 07:15 PM
Thing with about the street is a scooter can be fun as you want it to be. Pretty much anything can be fun on the street including cruisers.

DLIT
06-08-2008, 07:17 PM
I don't give a shit about how much experience a guy has. I look out for number 1.

Give some of them a chance, you might learn something.

Cutty72
06-10-2008, 11:58 AM
Thing with about the street is a scooter can be fun as you want it to be. Pretty much anything can be fun on the street including cruisers.

Almost forgot, they dyno'd a little scooter after my buell.
125cc (i think) took it awhile to get up there, but put down 7.8 hp and topped out at 72 mph. Took over a minute to get up to that speed though! :lol: