PDA

View Full Version : The "other" 2011 Trip

derf
09-20-2010, 01:31 AM
http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/3573/translabradortripplan2.jpg

interactive map (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=20755&daddr=47.06414,-53.80152+to:50.98061,-56.89203+to:Happy+Valley-Goose+Bay,+NL,+Canada+to:Unknown+road+to:Route+de+ la+Baie+James+to:45.93869,-84.75375+to:Detroit,+MI+to:Niagara+Falls,+Ontario, +Canada+to:Bradford,+PA+to:20755&geocode=FXBxVAIdFfZs-ylfXANRbua3iTG-WHvj7pcTZg%3BFUwkzgId0A3L_CmBOV0n9TYNSzG8iSAW1zMz1 A%3BFQLnCQMdguWb_CnzRhsFl-yBSzGmcgt2dqraNg%3BFUyyLQMd-yhm_CmfM8br9Xp7TDFwfhk0rNwRvA%3BFRDvNAMdtopL-w%3BFXiQMwMdSYFd-w%3BFQL4vAIdqsLy-ikH1JEiAAhKTTGxuDe5Vavtjw%3BFSPthQIdhtIM-yl1HcsQAcokiDHSxLk1ToZ2Vw%3BFeSRkQIdubBJ-ym3M-Yp6mPTiTGzqsW55FqXYQ%3BFTgygAIdNP1P-ylXyaHfM4DNiTG1-kKBqQOZkA%3BFXBxVAIdFfZs-ylfXANRbua3iTG-WHvj7pcTZg&hl=en&mra=ls&via=1,2,6&sll=41.352072,-79.222412&sspn=5.129272,11.634521&ie=UTF8&ll=50.401515,-94.042969&spn=35.04718,93.076172&t=h&z=4)

We are planning on 18 days for me, he would break off in detroit and head into the dakotas to visit with family, he is gonna take a whole month. Gonna camp the whole time, preferably without having to pay for it, and switch from street to dirt tires when the road conditions call for it.

I actually have no clue how much this whole thing is gonna cost. I'm figuring $500 for gas, another $500 for food, and $500 for incidental expenses (ferries, chachkie, and whatever else I buy along the way), does that sound right for a 5000 mile 18 day trip?

anyway the unruly fools who want to undertake this endeavour:

Ebbs on his DRZ

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs082.ash2/37431_400508549481_684869481_4229383_7102534_n.jpg

he can be a dick

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs032.ash2/34976_404894719481_684869481_4342462_1847687_n.jpg

And me and my KLR

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs362.snc4/44564_421398242395_652142395_5364066_3795064_n.jpg

Any other takers?

snobuny
09-20-2010, 05:29 AM
I would add two/three days and go around lake superior.....that trip is well worth taking.

I would also increase the gas budget.....canadian petrol is alot higher than in the US. Last time we were in nothern ontario gas was 1+ a liter......thats 4+ a gallon. The more remote up there the higher the gas prices, I have seen 2.50 a liter in some areas.

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/fmd/exchange.html will get you the most accurate currency rates of exchange. I usually get the best rate from using my ATM/debit card. Credit cards will hit you with a foreign currency fee that my credit union does not.

Have fun....looks like an awesome trip!

derf
09-20-2010, 06:35 AM
I would add two/three days and go around lake superior.....that trip is well worth taking.

I would also increase the gas budget.....canadian petrol is alot higher than in the US. Last time we were in nothern ontario gas was 1+ a liter......thats 4+ a gallon. The more remote up there the higher the gas prices, I have seen 2.50 a liter in some areas.

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/fmd/exchange.html will get you the most accurate currency rates of exchange. I usually get the best rate from using my ATM/debit card. Credit cards will hit you with a foreign currency fee that my credit union does not.

There is only so much you can keep adding. It went from TLH to TLH plus Niagara Falls, to plus detroit, plus Hudson Bay, plus RI, plus VT, plus Mt Washington, plus cabbot trail, plus State welcome signs, funny signs, police, and the whore down the street.

Trip
09-20-2010, 08:26 AM
I would increase your budget a lot. Especially if you are switching tires. If you either of you can't, I would also learn how to spoon a tubed tire on and off properly.

derf
09-20-2010, 09:09 AM
Im planning 2 tire changes, street to knobbies, then back tothe street tires I brought with me leaving the knobbies up there. Gonna bring the tires with me. Also inner tubes too.

Those cost associated with prepping for the trip aren't factored in, tent, bug spray, ridimg gear, oil filters, extra levers, and anything i think i will need. The only things I want to buy is oil, food, and gas

snobuny
09-20-2010, 09:14 AM
skip detroit....the riding sucks! Other than that it look like the trip of a lifetime! Wish I could make that one happen!

Detroit is too much traffic, construction and the roads are straight and full of potholes thanks to our crazy weather. The ride up 75 to the "soo" is straight and boring......300 miles of 4 lane nothing except state police. You would be better off staying in ontario and going up the east coast of Lake Huron but I'm from here so I see it all the time.

HWY 129 across ontario from Sault Saint Marie is twisty but some of the pavement is in poor condition (rode it this summer). The locals use ranger lake road which is dirt but much straighter. Not sure what you prefer on the dual sports.

Your ok with dirt right? Many roads in northern ontario/quebec are not paved, have little traffic and you may need to arrange for fuel, especially toward Hudson bay. We snowmobile up there and there is nothing....I repeat nothing in some of these areas....100's of miles of nothing. But the wildlife and scenery is amazing.

I would check fuel stops with you range prior to making that trip to be safe. Also there is very little cell phone coverage up there! Definately no 3g service and no roadside either We always make sure someone knows our nightly destination and call from the campsite/motel at the end of the day.

I also would not plan on riding at night...moose and caribo are very big to a motorcycle. The good news is that being that far north you have daylight in the summer to 10-11 pm.

Oh, they also get snow in July sometimes. Dress warm. Not winter snowstorm snow but flurries are not that uncommon.

Sorry for the book, Hope this helps and make sure you take tons of pictures.

Trip
09-20-2010, 09:14 AM
I would plan for more money needed just in case still. I would worst case scenario it and see what you need just in case and lower the budget from that some. Heck, you are only planning $27 a day for food. I would up that just in case you eat/drink more.

When are ya'll planning to go?

derf
09-20-2010, 12:24 PM
skip detroit....the riding sucks! Other than that it look like the trip of a lifetime! Wish I could make that one happen!

Detroit is too much traffic, construction and the roads are straight and full of potholes thanks to our crazy weather. The ride up 75 to the "soo" is straight and boring......300 miles of 4 lane nothing except state police. You would be better off staying in ontario and going up the east coast of Lake Huron but I'm from here so I see it all the time.

There is a reason for detroit

Your ok with dirt right?

I have slightly more experience on dirt than Paris Hilton. Seriously i've done like 50 miles on gravel roads on my CBR and like 5 on the KLR. yeh its gonna be a trial by fire, but I have a year to learn.

Many roads in northern ontario/quebec are not paved, have little traffic and you may need to arrange for fuel, especially toward Hudson bay. We snowmobile up there and there is nothing....I repeat nothing in some of these areas....100's of miles of nothing. But the wildlife and scenery is amazing.

I would check fuel stops with you range prior to making that trip to be safe. Also there is very little cell phone coverage up there! Definately no 3g service and no roadside either We always make sure someone knows our nightly destination and call from the campsite/motel at the end of the day.

I would carry either one or two 3 gal gas cans or a built in aux fuel tank

I also would not plan on riding at night...moose and caribo are very big to a motorcycle. The good news is that being that far north you have daylight in the summer to 10-11 pm.

Oh, they also get snow in July sometimes. Dress warm. Not winter snowstorm snow but flurries are not that uncommon.

My sleeping bag is good to 0F, thats also why I'm looking at buying a new textile suit

Yeh i can take pictures

I would plan for more money needed just in case still. I would worst case scenario it and see what you need just in case and lower the budget from that some. Heck, you are only planning $27 a day for food. I would up that just in case you eat/drink more.

When are ya'll planning to go?

I would have more money on hand, but thats what I want to spend on average. I'm guessing cook one meal and eat out one meal each day, with something small for breakfast each morning. Beer and liquor is a seperate factor. I doubt i would drink that much, I'm not really a drinker, my last serious drinking was at the rally a few months back

The current plan is to meet at my house labor day weekend and come back home around the 20th

I have less vacation time available than ebbs so I may have to break off early and head home if we take too long. My go no/go decision points are Quebec, the trail to Hudson Bay, the return trip from Hudson Bay, and Detroit. At any one of these points I can break off and head home if we are falling behind on the schedule. Ebbs has his own, and I wouldn't venture up north without him.

Trip
09-20-2010, 12:27 PM
The current plan is to meet at my house labor day weekend and come back home around the 20th

I have less vacation time available than ebbs so I may have to break off early and head home if we take too long. My go no/go decision points are Quebec, the trail to Hudson Bay, the return trip from Hudson Bay, and Detroit. At any one of these points I can break off and head home if we are falling behind on the schedule. Ebbs has his own, and I wouldn't venture up north without him.

Seems like a bad idea to plan on hurricane season with what Amorok said about hurricane duty. Hope it goes through.

You should be able to do the mileage up there. The dirt roads don't look to terribly challenging from what I have seen on ride reports from advrider.

OneSickPsycho
09-20-2010, 12:40 PM
Take your budget and double it. Then you'll be prepared. Fuck, on my long trip I had to buy another bike. THAT was an expensive trip.

derf
09-20-2010, 12:42 PM
Amorok chose to ride through a hurricane. They dont get hit too bad by hurricane season, usually buy the time storms get up there, thats all they are, windy 1 day storms. if a hurricane hits I would pack it in for a night and either pick up the males later in the trip or cut off a section. We would travel counter clockwise so we do have the option to shave places off.

Also the map lies, it's laid out flat so the northern sections are way stretched out, if you look at the distance legend in the bottom right of the screen it changes distance depending where on the map you are. the distance from my house to RI is roughly the same as the distance up to Hudson bay

The dirt roads are pretty good, except for the freshly graded sections where they get real soft, but ride reports even folks who are new to dirt wind up doing 60mph (possibly 60kph), and slowing down to 30 for the graded sections.

derf
09-20-2010, 12:45 PM
Take your budget and double it. Then you'll be prepared. Fuck, on my long trip I had to buy another bike. THAT was an expensive trip.

I wouldnt buy another bike, just rent a truck and have someone meet me as far north as I could with my truck. Worst case senario, I leave my bike somewhere preferably not just the side of the road, get to quebec or some other larger area and get picked up.

derf
09-20-2010, 12:48 PM
Seems like a bad idea to plan on hurricane season with what Amorok said about hurricane duty. Hope it goes through.

You should be able to do the mileage up there. The dirt roads don't look to terribly challenging from what I have seen on ride reports from advrider.

This is the reason for september, black flies are monsters and will eat you alive, but start dissapearing in august and are mostly gone by sept.

http://gallery.me.com/gregorhalenda/100375/_MG_0246/web.jpg

OneSickPsycho
09-20-2010, 12:52 PM
I wouldnt buy another bike, just rent a truck and have someone meet me as far north as I could with my truck. Worst case senario, I leave my bike somewhere preferably not just the side of the road, get to quebec or some other larger area and get picked up.

Fuck that shit... I REALLY wanted to finish the trip. You've made it halfway through your cross country trip... might as well do everything you can to finish it.

derf
09-20-2010, 12:57 PM
Fuck that shit... I REALLY wanted to finish the trip. You've made it halfway through your cross country trip... might as well do everything you can to finish it.

Thats the differnce between me and you, I have no problem giving up and just going home.

Trip
09-20-2010, 01:02 PM
Amorok chose to ride through a hurricane. They dont get hit too bad by hurricane season, usually buy the time storms get up there, thats all they are, windy 1 day storms. if a hurricane hits I would pack it in for a night and either pick up the males later in the trip or cut off a section. We would travel counter clockwise so we do have the option to shave places off.

Also the map lies, it's laid out flat so the northern sections are way stretched out, if you look at the distance legend in the bottom right of the screen it changes distance depending where on the map you are. the distance from my house to RI is roughly the same as the distance up to Hudson bay

The dirt roads are pretty good, except for the freshly graded sections where they get real soft, but ride reports even folks who are new to dirt wind up doing 60mph (possibly 60kph), and slowing down to 30 for the graded sections.

I was talking about canceling leave. Amorok didn't want us to do the rally during hurricane season cause he may not be able to make it.

derf
09-20-2010, 01:08 PM
I was talking about canceling leave. Amorok didn't want us to do the rally during hurricane season cause he may not be able to make it.

Yeh he's in one of those important-ish jobs, neither ebbs or myself are important. Hell if it rains hard enough I go home early.

Mr Lefty
09-20-2010, 02:05 PM
I would increase your budget a lot. Especially if you are switching tires. If you either of you can't, I would also learn how to spoon a tubed tire on and off properly.

I've done it once or twice, and I'm sure I can do it in an emergency ie a puncture... but I don't have the spoons, thats on the list of things I need to get.

Yes gas will go up... I'm thinking around 800 for gas for me for all 10k miles... that's an average of like $4 per gal for the whole trip... I'll be under for sure.

Im planning 2 tire changes, street to knobbies, then back tothe street tires I brought with me leaving the knobbies up there. Gonna bring the tires with me. Also inner tubes too.

Those cost associated with prepping for the trip aren't factored in, tent, bug spray, ridimg gear, oil filters, extra levers, and anything i think i will need. The only things I want to buy is oil, food, and gas

I will probably wear out a set getting to you(what ever I've been running that summer), so I'll probably ship two sets of tires to your house, throwing the new set on, and packing the other.

Detroit is a must, we're stopping by Gas's and going from there to Niagara Falls... gotta go through detroit. not worried about traffic... we're gonna hit up NYC for some pics too on the way up

HWY 129 across ontario from Sault Saint Marie is twisty but some of the pavement is in poor condition (rode it this summer). The locals use ranger lake road which is dirt but much straighter. Not sure what you prefer on the dual sports.

personally it's 50/50 with the tires we'll have on probably dirt... but broken pavement is nothing on the DRZ for me... don't think twice.

Your ok with dirt right? Many roads in northern ontario/quebec are not paved, have little traffic and you may need to arrange for fuel, especially toward Hudson bay. We snowmobile up there and there is nothing....I repeat nothing in some of these areas....100's of miles of nothing. But the wildlife and scenery is amazing.

I'm fine with dirt... no issues at all... I may go down... but everyone does time to time in dirt... unlike asphalt... no two dirt roads are the same

and that's exactly what we're looking for... NOTHING! the escape... well... at least that's what I'M looking for

I can go about 200-220 miles per tank depending on speed. He can go further... I'll have a 3 gal tank on the back... that'll bring me to 350-370 miles...

I'm planning on buying a spot personal locator beacon... (it sends an "I'm OK" message every so often(adjustable) and can send a SOS with your GPS coordinates if need be.

but yes, I know there is 0 cell service outside of major towns/cities up there.

Yeah we're not planning long days... so should be able to make it to camp and set up well before dark.

Yeah I've lived in AK so I know how Sept can be... I'll be dressed in lots of layers... most of my clothes I will be wearing... with just the undergarments and socks having extra's to pack.

Hurricane season is not a great time for me... but I'm not a critical asset. I do have to shelter with the airmen... but if I'm out of cell reach :blah: they can't call me back :yes:

yeah all the reports I've seen the roads are very manageable. there are some sections of construction... but other than a wait to get by... nothing bad, especially on two small dual sports.

This is the reason for september, black flies are monsters and will eat you alive, but start dissapearing in august and are mostly gone by sept.

http://gallery.me.com/gregorhalenda/100375/_MG_0246/web.jpg

Yes... I'm most def getting a mosquito net!

I hear ya... I'm the same way... for me... all the hardship just adds to the adventure... like I said... it could pour down rain every day and I'd still go...:screwy:

yeah they may cancel if there's on on the horizon... but Amorok left that year with the knowledge that a Hurricane was coming and he may get called back. he was also in a job that made him of vital importance... me not so much... I'm mission essential if i'm here... but if I'm on leave they'll wait until the last minute to call me back (and if they do that... chances are I'll be out of cell service and it'll take me days to get back)

derf
09-20-2010, 02:56 PM
Yes gas will go up... I'm thinking around 800 for gas for me for all 10k miles... that's an average of like $4 per gal for the whole trip... I'll be under for sure.

I did a quick very conservative estimate on the new distances we discussed last night, and at $4 per gallon I would spend $650 for thw whole trip. And thats low balling the mpg the KLR gets. My few long trips on this bike have been at highway speeds 75+ and I've managed to do better than 50mpg with those huge saddle bags, since most of our riding will probably be closer to 50mph I should get 55 or better fully loaded.

and that's exactly what we're looking for... NOTHING! the escape... well... at least that's what I'M looking for

I'm looking for something, just not sure what it is yet. There are a few things I want to see specifically, the Manic Dam system, Mt Washington, Goose Bay, Niagara falls, that recreation of the ancient fishermen, icebergs, whales, moose, caribou. Plus I really get a kick out of talking to locals, I've heard that up there outside of the cities they are really cool and feel a need to sop and talk to all travelers.

I can go about 200-220 miles per tank depending on speed. He can go further... I'll have a 3 gal tank on the back... that'll bring me to 350-370 miles...

My range is 200 at worst to 255 best, those are actually the only two times I have paid attention to my gas mileage when i filled it up, and thats without having to switch to reserve.

Yeah we're not planning long days... so should be able to make it to camp and set up well before dark.

He's not planning any long days, Other than a few small side trips, NYC, a town in CT, I want to get the fuck out of dodge and hightail it out of the northeast as fast as possible and into Canadar. (HINT HINT) I've been up and down the east coast by bike and really there sin't much i want to see, I'm way more interested in getting away from civilization, red lights super highways, rude people, and all the fun stuff. I would prefer to make it as far north as possible hitting all the new england states with a side trip into NYC, in two days, and sleep in Canada the second night. i figure vermont or Maine is the first night, and canada the second. We can get almost to sydney in 2 days, spend day 3 on the cabott trail, then the ferry to newfoundland on day 4 with some more riding that day.

We also have a route figured out that hits every state in the northeast with the only out of the way side venture being VT. MD, DE, PA, NJ, NY, CT, RI, MA, NH, VT, ME all in one day is very doable, the quickest route is 700 miles for all that, it would be a long day (HINT HINT)but it gets the most congested part of the whole ride out of the way in one day.

What we talked about is that most days should be around 300-350 miles.

And i own a mosqito net/shirt its like the one pictured, but with a torso and sleeves.

Trip
09-20-2010, 03:03 PM
most days should be around 300-350 miles.

That's a lot on dirt, especially for a dirt noob. I suggest you take trips to technical dirt roads and practice practice practice. You will be amazed how much energy it takes to ride dirt vs street for the same stretch when you first start out.

derf
09-20-2010, 03:18 PM
I have a few roads around here to play on

marko138
09-20-2010, 04:11 PM
I can show you a better route to get from the Harrisburg area to I-80 if you want. Would only add about a half hour to 45 minutes to your trip.

derf
09-20-2010, 04:21 PM
maybe but if we are gonna hit nyc the easiest route is though de and nj

marko138
09-20-2010, 04:24 PM
maybe but if we are gonna hit nyc the easiest route is though de and nj
Well thats not on your map, jack.

Mr Lefty
09-20-2010, 04:24 PM
I really wanna make it through NYC... I've never been and it would really bring a mark contrast to the trip.

Mr Lefty
09-20-2010, 04:41 PM
from what I've found... the longest distance between gas stops is about 300km or 200miles Goose Bay to Churchill Falls.

--> Repair Shops.

Atlantic Motoplex (only BMW dealer in the Maritimes)
950 Champlain Street, Dieppe, NB E1A 1P8
506-383-1022
www.atlanticmotoplex.ca

RPM Cycle
168 Main St., Dartmouth, NS B2X 1S2
902-434-8516
www.rpmcycle.ca

Steve's Cycle Truro
1279 MacCallum Settlement Rd.,
MacCallum Settlement, B6L 6V4
902-893-2581
stevescycle@z6.com

Adrian's (x-BMW shop)
80 King Street, Moncton, NB E1C 4M6
506-382-0262

(Mike) Milligans Cycle Works
2271 Mountain Road, Moncton?
854 4555

Darren Tapley
All-Euro, Halifax NS

Ed Barkhouse
Procycle, Dartmouth NS

Keith Windsor
The Toy Box
St. John's, NL

Gas Man
09-24-2010, 12:47 PM
Detroit is a must, we're stopping by Gas's and going from there to Niagara Falls... gotta go through detroit. not worried about traffic... we're gonna hit up NYC for some pics too on the way up

I'm glad to hear but don't remember any talk about the trip. :lol: You know you are both welcome as long as you need. Plus you know once in Michigan I'm your embassador.

Anyway, about when will you be in Detroit? How much time to Niagra? Up for joiners? I would consider joining you riding there and then either return from PA or stop by Mark's to steal his wife again!

derf
09-24-2010, 01:00 PM
We were gonna seperate somewhere soon after niagara falls so I can head south and go home and ebbs can go west, I want to stop one night at my brothers house in Bradford PA

Mr Lefty
09-24-2010, 10:29 PM
gas I have 330 days to let you know... sheesh... didn't realize you required reservations out 330+ days! :lmao:

derf
09-24-2010, 10:32 PM
I'm glad to hear but don't remember any talk about the trip. :lol: You know you are both welcome as long as you need. Plus you know once in Michigan I'm your embassador.

Anyway, about when will you be in Detroit? How much time to Niagra? Up for joiners? I would consider joining you riding there and then either return from PA or stop by Mark's to steal his wife again!

Nobody was asking, I was gonna show up on your doorstep and just shove my way in

Gas Man
09-25-2010, 01:09 AM
Ok for both of u. Tt is fine. Have with it. Let me know ur time table. Ur welcome to stay as long as you need or want. And if u want another rider and I can fit it to my sked I will. If not. Oh well.

Mr Lefty
09-25-2010, 07:50 AM
Gas you're more than welcome to come! just know that a large portion (not sure if it's still the majority of it) of the TLH (trans Labrador highway) is gravel. it can be done for sure... just want you aware.

and Derf... that'd be ok... cept for Brinks... and no I don't mean the home security system... well I do... but this one has paws as big as dinner plates.

derf
09-25-2010, 08:44 AM
Ok for both of u. Tt is fine. Have with it. Let me know ur time table. Ur welcome to stay as long as you need or want. And if u want another rider and I can fit it to my sked I will. If not. Oh well.

Who knows, its still along ways off. Depending on the progress we make we will be there somewhere between 15 and 19 Sept 2011, and stay there between 1 and 2 nights, and use your garage to do work on between 1 and 2 bikes, and do either a little or a lot of maintenance. We also plan on eating either a litttle or a lot of your food.

Gas Man
09-26-2010, 01:03 AM
Is tt wierd road gg to be from my place to niagra?

Derf, ebbs is right. Pooch will get u. I'm pretty sure he out weights u.

Tt sounds good on maybe couple nights and wrenching. Actually sounds perfect! Keep me up to date.