PDA

View Full Version : Brp october 9-11

Trip
09-21-2010, 04:47 PM
Anyone up for it? Pure camping. This is columbus day weekend.

Going to ruin north to south. Interstate up saturday and take my time coming back.

derf
09-21-2010, 05:58 PM
Where to where?

I might be up for it. Meet saturday night, then ride down sunday and leave to head home on monday

Trip
09-21-2010, 06:50 PM
Somewhere in virginia to cherokee north carolina. Blue ridge parkway. Its 500 miles.

derf
09-21-2010, 08:24 PM
can you can be a little more specific with your plans

Trip
09-21-2010, 08:34 PM
Yeah I can, looks like it starts in Waynesboro, VA.

http://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/directions.htm

http://www.blueridgeparkway.org

Here is the NPS map that shows camping:
http://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/loader.cfm?csModule=security/getfile&PageID=115070

Not going to do Skyline drive, no interest. The best part of the BRP is near Cherokee anyway.

I plan on riding up pure interstate saturday and camping somewhere near the Waynesboro, VA side. I am thinking Sherando Lake or Otter Creek for the first night.

Second night would be decided if you come. If you want to get home quicker, we could ride more sunday and get further south. If not, I will just go around half distance.

I was thinking Linville Falls, but we could go to Mt Pisgah or soemthing.

derf
09-21-2010, 09:08 PM
If you stop somewhere near christinsburg va then maybe, wouldnt be able to get you a definite answer for another week or two, but tentatively yes. It would also mean that I would need to go get my camping stuff from my parents basement, all I have here is my cooking stuff, and sleeping bag.

Trip
09-21-2010, 09:11 PM
If you stop somewhere near christinsburg va then maybe, wouldnt be able to get you a definite answer for another week or two, but tentatively yes. It would also mean that I would need to go get my camping stuff from my parents basement, all I have here is my cooking stuff, and sleeping bag.

Why christinsburg?

derf
09-21-2010, 09:54 PM
point on a map, that looks like the 1/2 way point on the BRP

derf
09-21-2010, 09:55 PM
If nothing else, I can ride out and camp out saturday night, ride a bit sunday and just turn around after lunch and head home

Trip
09-21-2010, 09:58 PM
point on a map, that looks like the 1/2 way point on the BRP

oh, would you head back home from there? Doughton Park is close to halfway. That's closer to Wytheville.

Linville Falls is way over halfway and Mt Pisgah is about 60 miles from the end of it.

derf
09-21-2010, 10:08 PM
Wythville is close to christianburg. Yeh lemme see what my work schedulle is like, I think I might be in MS that week.

marko138
09-22-2010, 08:25 AM
Trip, I'm gonna be very close to where you are starting on that Saturday the 9th. Won't have bike with me (shocking, I know). But I'll be within probly 20 minutes of your location.

Trip
09-22-2010, 08:30 AM
Trip, I'm gonna be very close to where you are starting on that Saturday the 9th. Won't have bike with me (shocking, I know). But I'll be within probly 20 minutes of your location.

You should come hang out then.

marko138
09-22-2010, 09:12 AM
You should come hang out then.
You should come hang out.

Trip
09-22-2010, 10:49 AM
You should come hang out.

hey I am riding 100s of miles up an interstate and got to set up camp for the night

It will depend on what time I get there, I need light to setup camp.

marko138
09-22-2010, 11:02 AM
hey I am riding 100s of miles up an interstate and got to set up camp for the night

Listen guy, I'm driving hundreds of miles down the interstate. :lol: I'll get ahold of you. I'll be in Bridgewater, VA getting ink work.

tommymac
09-22-2010, 11:04 AM

What you fail to realize here is markos actualy leaving the state of PA. This is a very rare occurance :lol:

marko138
09-22-2010, 11:08 AM
What you fail to realize here is markos actualy leaving the state of PA. This is a very rare occurance :lol:
Fuck you. I leave the state all the goddamn time. Just not on a motorcycle because I don't really give a fuck about racking up miles. I also don't feel the need to alert this entire forum of my comings and goings.

tommymac
09-22-2010, 11:14 AM
Fuck you. I leave the state all the goddamn time. Just not on a motorcycle because I don't really give a fuck about racking up miles. I also don't feel the need to alert this entire forum of my comings and goings.

Sounds like I struck a nerve :lol:

marko138
09-22-2010, 11:14 AM
Trip, never mind...you're not coming as far north as I thought. I'll be 40 minutes away. Probly not happening unless you're coming up a little farther.

Trip
09-22-2010, 11:20 AM
Trip, never mind...you're not coming as far north as I thought. I'll be 40 minutes away. Probly not happening unless you're coming up a little farther.

yeah, I don't want to spend that much time on the interstate, sorry.

marko138
09-22-2010, 11:20 AM
yeah, I don't want to spend that much time on the interstate, sorry.
It's not meant to be. I'm fine with it.

derf
09-22-2010, 09:21 PM
I'm definately in for the first night, second night is up for debate

Trip
09-22-2010, 09:23 PM
I'm definately in for the first night, second night is up for debate

Sweet, if stopping short works better for you we can go that route.

Mr Lefty
09-22-2010, 09:31 PM
I MIGHT be able to ride up... but I doubt it... I'll try though.

derf
09-22-2010, 09:42 PM
Sweet, if stopping short works better for you we can go that route.

There is a chance I might have to fly to MS either late sunday or monday

Mr Lefty
09-23-2010, 10:03 PM
chances are getting better and better

Trip
09-23-2010, 10:39 PM
chances are getting better and better

For what, you may come? That would be sweet.

Switch
09-24-2010, 08:45 AM
I might be up for this.

Mr Lefty
09-24-2010, 10:22 PM
yeah... I may come. some shit hit the fan at work... was told I was "fired". then today told that was not the case... but not sure I want to go back. at the very least I'm gonna take some time off...

only question now is can I afford it

Trip
09-25-2010, 12:46 AM
yeah... I may come. some shit hit the fan at work... was told I was "fired". then today told that was not the case... but not sure I want to go back. at the very least I'm gonna take some time off...

only question now is can I afford it

How can you get fired in the military?

Mr Lefty
09-25-2010, 07:47 AM

I'm in a special duty... they can take my rope (it's what signifies me as an MTL, and send me back to my career field)

basically, we had a troubled airman who was being discharged for spice use (it's incense that people smoke, not traceable but illegal for military) he named 45 other airmen when he was caught... but told those airmen he never said anything. when all those airmen got a copy of the police report, there was this airman's name pointing the finger at them.

So he doesn't have many friends. on top of that, he doesn't listen to us, so we have him sit in a chair for 12 hrs because that's all we trust him to do. well shit kinda hit the fan on Wed and he got his nose where it shouldn't have been.

A co-worker of mine was reprimanding him, and he was arguing with her. I got up and got loud, reminded him that he is an airman talking to an NCO (non commissioned officer) and that he was on his way out the door. all this happened in the presence of my supervisor, and the other NCO

That night the airman cut himself. and I was called in the next morning with my supervisor and the NCO who was originally reprimanding him and our asst Flight Chief. after my Squadron Commander listened to our side of the story, he stated "I don't think you crossed the line, I don't believe you did anything wrong. However we need to learn from this collectively." so we left his office at 1030 and headed back to work.

at 1730 I'm called into my asst. flight chief's office and told my Group Commander(my squadron commander's boss) said I'm no longer an MTL. I was furious. I mean how does it go from me doing nothing wrong to your not an MTL anymore.

longer story long... I wasn't fired... my asst flight chief (who's a complete piece of shit) made that part up and now considering I showed up to meet my commander with out my rope and he asked me why, is probably gonna end up in a world of hurt.

they had to do an investigation and interview the airman around (none could hear) but didn't want me there, as it could "influence" the outcome. that I understand.

still not sure I want this job if an airman does something drastic and my head goes straight to the chopping block ya know? especially AFTER my commander says I was in the right.

sorry... still a bit fired up about it.

but yeah gotta see if I can afford the ride up and back. are we camping?

tommymac
09-25-2010, 07:55 AM
You need to go full metal jacket on this guy :rockwoot:

derf
09-25-2010, 08:41 AM

You can get fired, it hurts your career but thats about it, you wind up with shittier jobs after that.

I got fired from on of my jobs back in 98, long story short I had a real cush job, fell asleep, someone else got in trouble and needed help, I wasnt awake, shit hit the fan and I had to burn shit (literally stir kerosene into shit so it would burn) for almost a month before I was able to move back to something that didnt suck.

Its also know as being relieved of your duties.

Mr Lefty
09-27-2010, 01:52 PM
were you planning on camping or what?

I'm probably out... finances are kinda tight, but just trying to figure out what I've got to play with

Trip
09-27-2010, 02:05 PM
camping is a definite every night, this is a 2011 test trip for me. See how my gear works. Want to camp cook, but I don't have gear for that.

derf
09-27-2010, 05:25 PM
camping is a definite every night, this is a 2011 test trip for me. See how my gear works. Want to camp cook, but I don't have gear for that.

I got a coleman dual fuel stove.... still new in the box

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Stove-Dual-Fuel-1-Burner/9870598

Switch
09-28-2010, 12:03 PM

Well if you're cookin...

Are you going to start on the 8th after work?

Trip
09-28-2010, 12:33 PM
Well if you're cookin...

Are you going to start on the 8th after work?

No, leave in the morning of the 9th. Camp near the start of the blue ridge on the 9th. Depending on if Derf comes or not will determine how far we get on the BRP on the 10th and camp somewhere on it. Finish up on the 11th.

The 11th is a government holiday, so we have it off.

derf
09-28-2010, 01:12 PM
No, leave in the morning of the 9th. Camp near the start of the blue ridge on the 9th. Depending on if Derf comes or not will determine how far we get on the BRP on the 10th and camp somewhere on it. Finish up on the 11th.

Yeh I'll be there

Switch
09-28-2010, 01:12 PM

Well aren't you special.

I don't have it off, so I would have to either take vacation or go it alone...

Trip
09-28-2010, 01:14 PM
Well aren't you special.

I don't have it off, so I would have to either take vacation or go it alone...

vacation

Mr Lefty
09-29-2010, 03:19 AM
yeah I'm not going

Trip
09-29-2010, 08:10 AM
good

Switch
09-29-2010, 08:40 AM
yeah I'm not going

Your story sounds like it needs its own thread. I want to read the conclusion.

good

I'm 90% in.

Trip
09-29-2010, 08:41 AM
I'm 90% in.

You're 10% gay.

Switch
09-29-2010, 08:43 AM
You're 10% gay.

I'm a 1%'er, and I'm gonna show you that on our camping expedition.

Switch
09-29-2010, 09:25 AM
I'm in, give me a list of shit I need to bring.

Trip
09-29-2010, 09:54 AM
I got a two man tent, but no snuggling is allowed. You can bring your own if you got it. You will need a at least a bag. I suspect it will be cold on the ridge, so warm clothes for night is a must. Clothes and gear. I am still undecided about camp cooking, it might just be easier to use restaurants. I don't have any of the gear to cook.

Switch
09-29-2010, 11:39 AM
I got a two man tent, but no snuggling is allowed. You can bring your own if you got it. You will need a at least a bag. I suspect it will be cold on the ridge, so warm clothes for night is a must. Clothes and gear. I am still undecided about camp cooking, it might just be easier to use restaurants. I don't have any of the gear to cook.

I can bring cooking stuffs. It's all dependent on if we can get a fire started...

derf
09-29-2010, 12:36 PM
I have a one burner stove and some small travel ready silverware and cookware, enough for 3 people, all I need is 1/2 liter of gas to cook for a few people

Switch
09-29-2010, 03:02 PM
That's for vaginas. We are cooking the real way. With a cast iron skillet and a fire.

BOOYAH.

Also, I'm sharing your tent, because mine sucks. A lot.

Gas Man
09-30-2010, 10:05 AM
That's for vaginas. We are cooking the real way. With a cast iron skillet and a fire.

BOOYAH.

Also, I'm sharing your tent, because mine sucks. A lot.
Agreed. Getting the fire going can be a bitch, trust me I just went thru it. But it's so worth it. Nothing better than a camp fire at the end of the day. Soothing.

And you better watch out talking about sharing a tent, regardless of reason... you'll be called a homo!

marko138
09-30-2010, 10:07 AM
Agreed. Getting the fire going can be a bitch, trust me I just went thru it. But it's so worth it. Nothing better than a camp fire at the end of the day. Soothing.

And you better watch out talking about sharing a tent, regardless of reason... you'll be called a homo!

It's true.

Switch
09-30-2010, 10:16 AM
It's true.

Don't care.

Trip
09-30-2010, 10:17 AM

Well that's cause you are, Uma called you out for it on facebook.

marko138
09-30-2010, 10:18 AM
Don't care.
Good for you. Don't hide it.

Gas Man
10-01-2010, 12:01 AM
Well that's cause you are, Uma called you out for it on facebook.
Proof or it didn't happen!

Trip
10-01-2010, 10:10 AM
Proof or it didn't happen!

sure thing, will you now start waving your rainbow flag proudly?

Gas Man
10-01-2010, 11:48 PM
WTS is that crap! She's got some explainin to do! or I'm just :skep: as well.

Uma
10-02-2010, 11:54 AM
Trip, I'm sorry but he just doesn't love you. He loves me. Instead of trying to falsify his nonexistant love for you, you should love him enough to let him go. Time will heal your wounds.

Trip
10-02-2010, 12:13 PM
Trip, I'm sorry but he just doesn't love you. He loves me. Instead of trying to falsify his nonexistant love for you, you should love him enough to let him go. Time will heal your wounds.

You got me confused with ginger.

derf
10-02-2010, 12:26 PM
I figured out how to pack my bike, camping gear and other equipment in the right pannier, clothes inside a drybag on the left. Chair, sleeping bag, tools, tent, sleeping pad, extra dry bag, tarp and plenty of room left over for other stuff in the dry bag on the seat, misc stuff in the tank bag. Spare gas tank srapped to the left pannier. Assorted tie straps, bungee chords and nets in the left bag on the crash cage.

the camping gear in the pannier consist of an ax, stove, first aid kit, cookware, silverware, gerber, rope, duct tape, air pump, poncho, sneakers and flip flops.

Nothing is packed too tight and there is plenty of room left in the right pannier and the red dry bag, and i haven't actually put clothes in the left pannier yet.

Gonna take it out for a spin later to see how it feels like that.

I also ordered a bunch of stuff last week that should be here next week that I wanted to put on the bike, subframe upgrade bolts, brushgaurds, handgrip heaters, higher ft lb rear spring, shock rebuild kit, vista cruise, extra cables to route next to the stock ones, and I forget the rest.Prolly just going to put on the subframe upgrade and brushguards for now

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs359.snc4/44258_434781842395_652142395_5661420_2864838_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs067.snc4/34705_434781797395_652142395_5661418_2456258_n.jpg

Mr Lefty
10-02-2010, 01:27 PM
when you pack for real, if you're gonna pack the extra fuel there, you're gonna have to make sure you compensate for it... riding around on short trips won't be a big deal... but off road, on a long day, with a bike you can barely flat foot... you could be asking for trouble if it's not balanced well...

even on the DRZ on my long trips I gotta be careful almost dropped the bitch a couple times and FUCK is that bitch heavy when loaded up!

derf
10-02-2010, 01:45 PM
I can easily flat foot it the way it is, actually depending on how it fairs next weekend I might raise it back up. I also have a 2.5 gal water bottle to stick on the other side, its a colapsable one, I'm currently looking for a blue version of that gas tank (or I might buy another gas tank and spray it blue)

Gas Man
10-02-2010, 09:02 PM
You got me confused with ginger.
You're the one photoshopping luv notes for yourself... "just sayin"

Trip
10-02-2010, 09:06 PM
You're the one photoshopping luv notes for yourself... "just sayin"

That's what you call a burn, your warped gay mind see's it as a love note. LOL

Gas Man
10-04-2010, 12:46 AM
That's what you call a burn, your warped gay mind see's it as a love note. LOL
Nah... just being nice...

Particle Man
10-11-2010, 03:03 PM
will there be a full ride report? I need to live vicariously through others because I've been spending most of my time in airports and hotels far from home :rant:

Trip
10-11-2010, 05:29 PM
will there be a full ride report? I need to live vicariously through others because I've been spending most of my time in airports and hotels far from home :rant:

yeah, just got home. I am fucking tired. We bull rushed the last 230 miles today and then fucked off all the way through the GSMNP, so it's eat, shower, maybe lurk a bit, and sleep.

Switch
10-11-2010, 05:33 PM
yeah, just got home. I am fucking tired. We bull rushed the last 230 miles today and then fucked off all the way through the GSMNP, so it's eat, shower, maybe lurk a bit, and sleep.

I'm making bacon...

derf
10-11-2010, 06:04 PM
Just got home too. Lots of drama, bought a tank of bad gas and the bike stopped on the highway and barely ran, right next to the natural bridge exit (fuck that place). I replaced the spark plug and rebuilt the fuel petcock and it still ran like shit. Then I dumped the gas and bought a new tank and the bike ran fine all the way home.

Gonna make me some bacon flavored eggs for dinner

Trip
10-11-2010, 06:17 PM
damn, that sucks dude.

I uploaded all my pics to facebook.

derf
10-11-2010, 06:25 PM
it wasnt too bad, but I did see a dozen or so cars on the side of the road at the same spot, I'm sure they all had teh same experience I had

Trip
10-11-2010, 06:28 PM
it wasnt too bad, but I did see a dozen or so cars on the side of the road at the same spot, I'm sure they all had teh same experience I had

where was this at? i'd sue and get them to repay you.

derf
10-11-2010, 06:34 PM
they were spread out over the 10 miles after the gas station

Particle Man
10-12-2010, 09:37 PM
shitty gas station. There are a few like that here (the ones with the cheaper gas - go figure)

derf
12-27-2011, 09:12 PM
This is the detour we missed at natural bridge

http://io9.com/5084491/the-alternate-history-theme-park-where-dinosaurs-fought-in-the-civil-war

Switch
03-04-2012, 11:15 AM
Let's do this again this year

derf
03-04-2012, 02:51 PM
Let's do this again this year

ok

Switch
03-04-2012, 03:46 PM
ok

I'm not cooking this time :)

derf
03-04-2012, 04:13 PM
I'm not cooking this time :)

I wouldnt eat that crap anyway, so I think we are both in agreement

Switch
03-04-2012, 06:22 PM
I'm just gonna bring protein bars.

Trip
03-04-2012, 11:50 PM
I say lets just do what we did for the rally last year. Cut out the boring parts of the BRP and stay in a shitty motel where we can gank rooms again, then move to the hotel where Captain can hit on his woman.

tommymac
03-05-2012, 01:16 AM
I say lets just do what we did for the rally last year. Cut out the boring parts of the BRP and stay in a shitty motel where we can gank rooms again, then move to the hotel where Captain can hit on his woman.

wanna share a room again :lol:

Switch
03-05-2012, 01:40 PM

I like camping.

I would also like to do a better job of documenting the trip and check out more of the forest/fire roads.

Trip
03-05-2012, 05:58 PM
I like camping.

I would also like to do a better job of documenting the trip and check out more of the forest/fire roads.

If you want to ride a lot more, camping is just a pain in the ass and eats a lot of time, space, and comfort for the ride.

Switch
03-05-2012, 07:26 PM
How so? You gotta pitch a tent and sleep in it. Then pack it up and leave. It's worth having an additional duffel bag, IMO.