PDA

View Full Version : Got a motard today

Akilldema
09-21-2010, 05:30 PM
My 2nd one... 2003 CRF450R - tagged. It's not the prettiest bike I've ever seen, but it rips. Also passed inspection with michelin race tires on it :).

derf
09-21-2010, 05:48 PM
My 2nd one... 2003 CRF450R - tagged. It's not the prettiest bike I've ever seen, but it rips. Also passed inspection with michelin race tires on it :).

Bitch, where are the pictures?

Particle Man
09-21-2010, 06:39 PM
^ what he said.

Didn't happen if there are no pics. :nee:

Akilldema
09-21-2010, 07:06 PM
Have a kickstand, black seat with hump, chain guide, hand guards and black side panels on the way. The trash bag is so it doesn't scuff the wall.

TYEster
09-21-2010, 07:34 PM
They look so weird without handguards.

Akilldema
09-21-2010, 07:50 PM
Yeah.. looking forward to getting all of the stuff, it'll look a lot better then. You know if you can run a fan on the stock electrical system? Or how to create a reservoir to collect and recycle coolant overflow?

TYEster
09-21-2010, 08:16 PM
Yeah.. looking forward to getting all of the stuff, it'll look a lot better then. You know if you can run a fan on the stock electrical system? Or how to create a reservoir to collect and recycle coolant overflow?

I have UFO catch can for the radiator and a Redbull "shot" drink drilled out for the carb vent.

http://www.motostrano.com/ufosucaca.html

http://sneakermaniac.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/red-bull-energy-shots.jpg

Akilldema
09-21-2010, 08:18 PM
Does that UFO recycle the coolant or just catch it?

TYEster
09-21-2010, 11:08 PM
Does that UFO recycle the coolant or just catch it?

Catch only, there's a drain plug at the bottom.

Do they make a recycling coolant system on bikes? I'd think anything that heated when need venting.

Akilldema
09-21-2010, 11:36 PM
I guess what happens is the radiator creates a vacuum when it cools back down and pulls the coolant back in. Gonna buy some engine ice tomorrow and get a bigger catch can. I got the redbull one you posted above, but that thing ain't gonna catch much coolant.. had my buddy pic one up on the way over.

Riceaholic
09-22-2010, 02:55 AM
Me and Pete are gonna be in the Gap area Sunday till' Thursday. I'll test it and give you an honest unbiased opinion...

TYEster
09-22-2010, 07:40 AM
I guess what happens is the radiator creates a vacuum when it cools back down and pulls the coolant back in. Gonna buy some engine ice tomorrow and get a bigger catch can. I got the redbull one you posted above, but that thing ain't gonna catch much coolant.. had my buddy pic one up on the way over.

Well the catch can's are so you can run your bike at the track and not spill a single drop. Typical and required for most any track racing. The UFO one goes on the front for the radiator and the Redbull is for any gas/oil drops that could come from the carb. You don't need a big catch for that because that's simply there to see if anythings spewing out of that which could mean a potential motor issue.

Ideally NONE should ever be used in a perfect world so as long as your motor is tip top and you don't let the bike overheat, you'd never need one.

Akilldema
09-22-2010, 09:18 AM
Me and Pete are gonna be in the Gap area Sunday till' Thursday. I'll test it and give you an honest unbiased opinion...

No truck man.. I'd love to ride up there with you guys, but no way would I ride it there. Still got those A* boots:rockwoot:

Well the catch can's are so you can run your bike at the track and not spill a single drop. Typical and required for most any track racing. The UFO one goes on the front for the radiator and the Redbull is for any gas/oil drops that could come from the carb. You don't need a big catch for that because that's simply there to see if anythings spewing out of that which could mean a potential motor issue.

Ideally NONE should ever be used in a perfect world so as long as your motor is tip top and you don't let the bike overheat, you'd never need one.

If the bike gets stuck in traffic, apparently it overflows.. I haven't seen it yet, but the previous owner told me about it.

marko138
09-22-2010, 09:27 AM
Killer rig.

goof2
09-22-2010, 10:07 AM

I've heard of a few fan solutions for cooling. Most involve mounting a larger computer fan on the rad. If yours has mounting tabs you may be able to do what this guy did.

http://www.rickramsey.net/CRF250Xbigbore.htm#coolingfan

Actually running the fan depends on if you are running the stock electrical system which, as I understand it on the 450r, is basically nothing. Are the lights running off the stator (probably upgraded if so) or are they running off a total loss system (do you have to charge the battery)?

TYEster
09-22-2010, 06:19 PM
No truck man.. I'd love to ride up there with you guys, but no way would I ride it there. Still got those A* boots:rockwoot:

If the bike gets stuck in traffic, apparently it overflows.. I haven't seen it yet, but the previous owner told me about it.

Ya it's fairly common.

If it's midsummer and we go ride MX... If I start the bike to warm it up and go get my gear on. I've found the radiator spewing a few times once I came back ready to ride.

Akilldema
09-22-2010, 06:30 PM
I put the new water wetter in it today, supposed to run cooler than engine ice. Also made an overflow bottle with a "nos" energy drink bottle. Should be a start.

Akilldema
09-23-2010, 10:35 PM
Hit 74 today.. bike is sick, even with leaves on the ground, I was able to go pretty damn fast. It's also been a while since I rode something quick up there. The catch can worked very well.. it got a few ounces of coolant in it during my ride back home and by the time I parked the bike the radiator had sucked it back up.

Akilldema
09-24-2010, 09:19 PM
Bike's starting to come together. Still waiting on some parts.

TYEster
09-24-2010, 11:16 PM
Just sold mine tonight. :(

Akilldema
09-24-2010, 11:28 PM
I don't foresee myself getting out the supermoto thing for a while. Only reason I sold my last one was I wasn't ready for the maintenance schedule and had other bikes I rode a lot. Why did you sell it?

TYEster
09-25-2010, 12:03 AM
I don't foresee myself getting out the supermoto thing for a while. Only reason I sold my last one was I wasn't ready for the maintenance schedule and had other bikes I rode a lot. Why did you sell it?

I need a MX bike for winter. Track season is all but done and I have the RSV for the few remaining days left that I might make out and the motard was track only since I got it. I should have left it street legal, #1 drawback to not getting sold earlier. DO NOT TAKE OFF YOUR LIGHTS & PLATE if you ever plan on selling it, I swear I fielded at least 100 emails asking if it was legal, what it would take to make legal or if I wanted to trade for some POS.

Akilldema
09-25-2010, 12:43 AM
Yeah, I saw some posts on SMJ. I don't know if I'll ever track mine. I live in the mountains, so there are enough roads to keep me busy for a long time. I doubt I'd pull the lights, the value of a street legal CRF around here is pretty high.

Particle Man
09-25-2010, 09:39 AM
That's sweet, dude