PDA

View Full Version : something else...Fork Seals

jalaan1
06-09-2008, 12:00 PM
ok so i noticed some oil/hydraulic fluid :idk:
coming down the right fork.
i'm guessing i need a new fork seal.

1- is this a job i can do myself?
2- should i get this done asap or can it wait lil bit?

tia.

Trip
06-09-2008, 12:21 PM
If you have a front stand that isn't supported by the forks or have another way to get your bike's front off the ground without using the forks, it's pretty easy to do it yourself.

papapoi
06-09-2008, 03:18 PM
down here it cost 160 per fork to replace the seals and thats with you providing the seal:/ but yeah, sounds its the fork seal i had same thing happen to my 78 Yamaha xs11.

jtemple
06-09-2008, 04:11 PM
I know on my bike you have to have a tool to compress the fork springs to get the legs apart. The official tool is quite expensive. However, I do remember finding instructions somewhere to build your own for next to nothing.

ceo012384
06-09-2008, 05:43 PM
I know on my bike you have to have a tool to compress the fork springs to get the legs apart. The official tool is quite expensive. However, I do remember finding instructions somewhere to build your own for next to nothing.

Yeah if you have inverted forks you need a spring compressor.

You will also want a fork seal driver, and probably a sete of picks because there are lots of little rings and clips and stuff you need to fish around.

It's more difficult than an oil change by far, but doable from what I have seen.

jtemple
06-09-2008, 10:20 PM
For the money it would cost me for tools (I'm a big fan of having the right tool for the job) and the time it would take me to do the work, that's probably something I'd just pay to have done.

jalaan1
06-09-2008, 10:38 PM
For the money it would cost me for tools (I'm a big fan of having the right tool for the job) and the time it would take me to do the work, that's probably something I'd just pay to have done.

yeah, that's what i'm thinking.

Dnyce
06-10-2008, 01:27 AM
i took the forks off and took it to a shop, they charged 25 each fork. if you got the space, you'll save alot just by taking the shop the bare forks. the same place wanted i think 75 per fork if i brought in the bike.

also, get em both done. less hassle for later, bcuz if one is leaking now, the other may not be too far behind....

6doublefive321
06-10-2008, 11:57 AM
Try cleaning the seal before you drop any money on it. Take a business card or some old 35mm film (who the hell has that anymore?), and clean between the leg and the seal. Sometimes, there can be some grit trapped on the seal which causes the leak. Also, flush the leg / seal area with some silicone spray to flush away any grit. I've managed to avoid replacing a seal with this method in the past.

Agreed on removing the fork legs if you get a shop to replace the seals. Half the labor cost is getting the fork legs off.

Good luck.

jtemple
06-10-2008, 02:44 PM
Try cleaning the seal before you drop any money on it. Take a business card or some old 35mm film (who the hell has that anymore?), and clean between the leg and the seal. Sometimes, there can be some grit trapped on the seal which causes the leak. Also, flush the leg / seal area with some silicone spray to flush away any grit. I've managed to avoid replacing a seal with this method in the past.

Agreed on removing the fork legs if you get a shop to replace the seals. Half the labor cost is getting the fork legs off.

Good luck.Truth. The 35mm film trick works and can save you some big bucks.

jalaan1
06-10-2008, 02:47 PM
will def. do.

PiZdETS
06-10-2008, 02:49 PM
i took the forks off and took it to a shop, they charged 25 each fork. if you got the space, you'll save alot just by taking the shop the bare forks. the same place wanted i think 75 per fork if i brought in the bike.

also, get em both done. less hassle for later, bcuz if one is leaking now, the other may not be too far behind....
Sage advice, a good shop will give you a break on the price if you've done the basic prep work for them.

Also- don't be afraid to bargain a little. If they did a good job, quickly for a decent price-don't be a dick but if it's a little steep ask them what they can do for you if you get something from their gear or parts section. I saved 50 bucks on a tire change one time by buying a helmet and talking them into a discount on the work plus gear. Stressing that you're a loyal frequent customer helps.
Obviously you end up spending more money but if it's gear you need anyway...:idk:

Gas Man
06-11-2008, 01:03 AM
Fork seals can be a bitch but they can be done yourself. For me I did my seals this last winter. They were PIA!

I made my own seal pounder....
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/BDM/Fork%20Service/SealsnOil017.jpg
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/BDM/Fork%20Service/SealsnOil020.jpg
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/BDM/Fork%20Service/SealsnOil022.jpg
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/BDM/Fork%20Service/SealsnOil018.jpg
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/BDM/Fork%20Service/SealsnOil025.jpg
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/BDM/Fork%20Service/SealsnOil026.jpg

Then it was a 4# BIG hammer and alot of winging and cussing!!

Would I suggest a novice to do this? NO! I say remove the forks from the bike and take the forks to a shop for the tear down, and rebuild. And have them do the bushings with the seals. Then use a nice Ohlins synthetic oil over standard dino oil. I loved it when I did it on my 9R.

jalaan1
06-11-2008, 07:29 PM
Truth. The 35mm film trick works and can save you some big bucks.

6doublefive321,
i think that may have done it. will know for sure by the weekend.
:ty:

Fork seals can be a bitch but they can be done yourself. For me I did my seals this last winter. They were PIA!

Would I suggest a novice to do this? NO! I say remove the forks from the bike and take the forks to a shop for the tear down, and rebuild. And have them do the bushings with the seals. Then use a nice Ohlins synthetic oil over standard dino oil. I loved it when I did it on my 9R.

yeah, novice, that's me.
thanks G-man.

and again...............:twfix:

No Worries
06-11-2008, 09:26 PM
Nice Gasman. I've never done an upside-down fork before, but I have done damper-rod and cartridge forks. They are not that hard. As long as you do one at a time. Because you need the untampered one to find out how to put the other back together correctly.

The mechanic has to work under the clock. If a fork seal is leaking, it is usually because a rock has formed a burr on the fork. A mechanic does not have the time to use some emery cloth on the fork to smooth it out. But if you do it yourself, you do. A mechanic does not have the time to exactly measure the fluid level to the nearest m.m., but you do. A mechanic does not have the time to align the forks after assembly, but you do.

Plus, I get the self-satisfaction and pride of doing it myself, and crossing it off my list. And I like to make tools like Gasman. Such as the tool to hold the damper rod from turning when loosening the nut under the axle.

6doublefive321
06-11-2008, 10:52 PM
6doublefive321,
i think that may have done it. will know for sure by the weekend.
:ty:

yeah, novice, that's me.
thanks G-man.

and again...............:twfix:

I hope it holds out. I've also found that new oil along with the cleaning works wonders. Fork oil loses its viscosity just like motor oil. In my opinion, fork oil is the most overlooked maintenance item on bikes.

Gas Man
06-12-2008, 12:58 AM
I'm just saying to meet in the middle NW. Remove the forks yourself let them rebuild them. Just get a good mechanic. That may mean looking beyond the stealership to the smaller shops.