PDA

View Full Version : Dragon (not what it is cracked up to be)

Trip
06-10-2008, 05:14 PM
Arcticle FPZX sent me to upload, don't have time to read it.

fpzx10
06-10-2008, 05:18 PM
Thanks Trip.

Got that from the new Sportrider mag. Thought I would share.

the chi
06-10-2008, 05:23 PM
after this last trip, that writer is 100% right. There are many other roads just as exciting and technical as the Dragon, the only difference being a lack of professional photogs. We only rode it once this weekend due to heavy LEO presence and I am just as happy to have ridden all over the rest of the planet as I was to strictly ride the dragon last year!!

Cutty72
06-10-2008, 05:28 PM
Yeah, sounds about right.

What I'm wondering is how can pulling someone over on an already tight and technical road be safe at all? Is it not congesting an already tight roadway?
Just my thought, never been there.

NONE_too_SOFT
06-10-2008, 05:32 PM
Yeah, sounds about right.

What I'm wondering is how can pulling someone over on an already tight and technical road be safe at all? Is it not congesting an already tight roadway?
Just my thought, never been there.

theres plenty of pull offs, but when the red and blue lights do pull someone over they pretty much fuck EVERYBODY.

the chi
06-10-2008, 05:35 PM
theres plenty of pull offs, but when the red and blue lights do pull someone over they pretty much fuck EVERYBODY.

fuck yeah, specially when ya come flying round the corner and everyone is STOPPED for an accident, or to gawk and try not to get pulled over too, or not crash...SOOOO exciting...

Cutty72
06-10-2008, 05:48 PM
fuck yeah, specially when ya come flying round the corner and everyone is STOPPED for an accident, or to gawk and try not to get pulled over too, or not crash...SOOOO exciting...

"flying" at a calm 29 mph, so as not to exceed the speed limit right :lol:

JoJoYZF
06-10-2008, 06:36 PM
I just noticed the dude in the picture has the same helmet as nts.

And on a side note Ive yet to get my new issue of sport rider, now im pissed.

fpzx10
06-10-2008, 11:30 PM
I was glad to see that article. It may discourage a lot of people from going up there. Hence, decrease in traffic, decrease in law enforcement. I'm sure the locals would like it.

the chi
06-11-2008, 10:14 AM
"flying" at a calm 29 mph, so as not to exceed the speed limit right :lol:

EXACTLY!!! I mean, who actually speeds right??!!:whistle:

fpzx10
06-11-2008, 10:23 AM
EXACTLY!!! I mean, who actually speeds right??!!:whistle:

You lawless hooligan

the chi
06-11-2008, 11:07 AM
You lawless hooligan

who me?? *bats eyelashes* I have no idea what you may be referring to!!

NONE_too_SOFT
06-11-2008, 11:20 AM
who me?? *bats eyelashes* I have no idea what you may be referring to!!

that eyelash move is kick ass when you're in a jam.

the chi
06-11-2008, 11:41 AM
that eyelash move is kick ass when you're in a jam.

:rofl: like needing alcohol, benedryl and a mechanic to stay open late??!!

perhaps we should test it next time we run into a cop, but it doesnt work on girls! we call on your skills for that!

NONE_too_SOFT
06-11-2008, 12:00 PM
my skills? my skills would land me in jail for public indecency.

DLIT
06-11-2008, 12:01 PM
iT'S REALLY THAT BAD?

Trip
06-11-2008, 12:03 PM
iT'S REALLY THAT BAD?

on weekends it is, it's like one big parade up there.

pickle.of.doom
06-11-2008, 01:40 PM
I was glad to see that article. It may discourage a lot of people from going up there. Hence, decrease in traffic, decrease in law enforcement. I'm sure the locals would like it.

Yeah, everyone except for all the ones who opened businesses that cater to the massive motorcycle population the area gets.... What the fuck else would you visit that ass backwards, no alcohol havin, banjo music playin from the hills deliverance style, haven't seen a dentist since 19freakin72 part of the country anyway?

Trip
06-11-2008, 02:03 PM
Yeah, everyone except for all the ones who opened businesses that cater to the massive motorcycle population the area gets.... What the fuck else would you visit that ass backwards, no alcohol havin, banjo music playin from the hills deliverance style, haven't seen a dentist since 19freakin72 part of the country anyway?

blue hairs, nature enthusiasts, hunters, fishing, kayakers, and various other outdoors minded people vacationed here long before motorcyclists. It's home to the appalachain trail and all kinds of other outdoor activities. The GSMNP is one of the most visited parks in the country if not the most visited.

dReWpY
06-11-2008, 02:07 PM
havent read it yet, but next week from tuesday through sunday, ill be there, we have s study site in townsend and im going ot be camping at deals gap since they are reasonably close and cheap, ill get my milage paid for, camping paid for and food all recomped... not to mention being at the dragon during the week at night

Trip
06-11-2008, 02:22 PM
havent read it yet, but next week from tuesday through sunday, ill be there, we have s study site in townsend and im going ot be camping at deals gap since they are reasonably close and cheap, ill get my milage paid for, camping paid for and food all recomped... not to mention being at the dragon during the week at night

Be warned that is Honda Hoot and R1/R6 rally week. It's going to be bad that week. I chose to stay away for just the R1/R6 rally. With both of them there this year, it's going to be hell on earth. I would also recommend reserve where you want to camp now. Knoxville and the surrounding area gets flooded with bikes during the Honda Hoot. Add in the McCoys and their squidly forum members and you have a recipe for disaster.

Mrs. Colleen
06-11-2008, 02:44 PM
That is how I always imagined the Dragon to be...except for the 30 mph speed limit, I did not know that! :willy:

We have a stretch of road around here that I am working my way up to. My husband goes with his buddy as much as he can. He said this last trip was the first time he ever saw a cop up there...and it was a SUV cop on the side of the road wondering around in the dirt...not traffic related.

Oh and the other great thing...there is a speed limit sign that says "End 45 mph zone" and from then on there is no speed limit...within safe limits I guess.

When the hubby and my newbie-ass go riding we do the 192 to the 50 and then head home. The 33 is the road I am working towards and it is right after the 50...for those that may know the area. :cheers:

pickle.of.doom
06-11-2008, 02:47 PM
blue hairs, nature enthusiasts, hunters, fishing, kayakers, and various other outdoors minded people vacationed here long before motorcyclists. It's home to the appalachain trail and all kinds of other outdoor activities. The GSMNP is one of the most visited parks in the country if not the most visited.

Everything around the gap is tied to motorcycles and the road though. Hunters and fishers aren't going to keep every hotel in the area full all summer long. You aren't going to pay extra money for a room with a bike garage attached to sight see some wildlife. You aren't going to stop at wheelers to get some windshield washer fluid for the RV and 36 more rolls of film. You know it would be a huge hit to the local economy if motorcyclists didn't flock there.

Trip
06-11-2008, 02:59 PM
Everything around the gap is tied to motorcycles and the road though. Hunters and fishers aren't going to keep every hotel in the area full all summer long. You aren't going to pay extra money for a room with a bike garage attached to sight see some wildlife. You aren't going to stop at wheelers to get some windshield washer fluid for the RV and 36 more rolls of film. You know it would be a huge hit to the local economy if motorcyclists didn't flock there.

Actually I think cagers are going to push motorcycles out of this area as tourism keeps exploding in the area especially with the travel price crunch that is going on with cost of travel growing and more and more people looking to easy trips. Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge/Cherokee/Maggie Valley/Townsend is creating a huge spilloff to other areas. Motorcycle tourism is very minimal in the area when you consider the immediate area around this very small section of road. Most profitability in the direct area is pretty much all related to cruiser riders and very little to sportbikers at all. Which is very evident by DGMR putting in fake tennis courts so they can be classified as a resort so they can serve beer to that crowd. Even DGMR's profits aren't that great at all compared to other tourism in the immediate area and as the spilloff grows, the direction of these locations will direct their attention to those groups which offer the greater profit. The law enforcement of the area will expand driving out motorcyclists and bringing in more leaf lookers and nature people. The golden age of the gap is done. For those that got to experience it, it was awesome. For those that didn't get a chance, enjoy what you can while you can.

pickle.of.doom
06-11-2008, 03:04 PM
Well, until they tear the road down, nothing is going to keep people from coming.

Trip
06-11-2008, 03:08 PM
Well, until they tear the road down, nothing is going to keep people from coming.

I think they will eventually either do that if I-3 ever gets built or eventually we could see speed cameras or something similar to end the man power they have to throw up there every weekend. I don't see how they can keep throwing money at that place with all the gas it costs and manpower you have to take from other areas of the state to patrol it as much as they do. They haven't written nearly as many tickets to cover the cost of them being there this year.

dReWpY
06-11-2008, 08:05 PM
yah, i thought about staying & riding over the weekend, but the roads here are awesome and no cops

t-homo
06-11-2008, 09:05 PM
I want to go at some point, no matter how bad the tourism gets. Even if I'm not riding hard, I still love to cruise through beautiful scenery, which there seems to be tons of.

rider76
06-11-2008, 09:12 PM
I have been alot of places in this world but this is not one them... Someday I will make down there.....

t-homo
06-11-2008, 09:34 PM
Well shit. If you are still in StL in a year or so, lets do that shit.

rider76
06-11-2008, 09:35 PM
alright... cool

t-homo
06-11-2008, 09:42 PM
alright... cool

Do you think you will still be around at that time? It will be a record time in one place for you, from what you were saying.

the chi
06-11-2008, 10:40 PM
even if you stay away from the dragon, you will still have the time of your life...and if you want scenery...OMG this place has scenery, some of the most beautiful country on gods green earth...i'm in love...anyone want to give me a job and a place to live so I can move up there??!!

pickle.of.doom
06-12-2008, 12:31 AM
So with all the cops in the area patrolling the gap its probably pretty much smooth sailing on all the other sweet roads in the area? Well except for the skyway of course...

Trip
06-12-2008, 08:39 AM
So with all the cops in the area patrolling the gap its probably pretty much smooth sailing on all the other sweet roads in the area? Well except for the skyway of course...

Well it's about the same everywhere else as it use to be. NC doesn't really give a damn because they dont have the dragon to patrol. TN really gets fucked on the situation. They take in very little tourist dollars from the road itself and then have to shell out all the cash to take care of it. It's pretty funny. They also have stepped back patrols from what they did last year. Only about 5 cops on weekends instead of the whole damn state up there patrolling.

dReWpY
06-12-2008, 12:06 PM
this is why im thinking of just taking a state vechicle instead of my bike, too many idoits out to ride and why waste the tire? :idk:

rider76
06-12-2008, 06:12 PM
Do you think you will still be around at that time? It will be a record time in one place for you, from what you were saying.

I am not for sure... I MIGHT be heading to Colorado, although there is a chance I could go to Bilioxi.... If I go to Bilioxi I could proably meet you there.... Although the way shit seems to be goin, I could still be right where I am. I got hurt the last time I deployed, and dont know how well I will pass a physical or P.T anymore...:idk:

Smittie61984
06-14-2008, 06:29 PM
I went up there during the Florida Sportbike rally. I wasn't there for that I was just bored and went up. Either way the Florida Sportbike rally was interesting.

My first time up to the Gap was on Superbowl sunday this year. I didn't see a single cop on the Gap or on the Skyway. Nor where there many bikes, cars, or even bicycles. I'll make a bunch of trips up there during late fall, winter, and early spring. Might make 1 or 2 this summer but will keep an eye out on the Rally's and go during rally's I feel are going to have the least amount of idiots.

For example if I hear of a V-strom rally I wouldn't care to much. If I hear of a "Gixxer" or Civic rally I'm going to stay put.

But yeah the good roads get fucked up during the summer. Our Georgia loop (GA60/GA180/US129) is completely mucked up right now. Even worse than Deal's Gap. They had a Helicopter patrolling the road and cordinating the cops as they went down the road this past weekend. Plus waaaay more fatalities and idiots up there.

Mainly because 5miles away from the Loop(Which can be compared to the Gap) is a fake german town named Helen in which people on a weekend getaway go up and get plastered on beer then go ride a twisty road (Normally the Harley crowd and we have lots more Harleys than the Gap has ever dreamed of). It's only an hour or two away from anywhere in Atlanta so you get every city dwelling wheelie popping squid up there to prove how fast their 1st bike (R1) is. And on US129 (Which is often 3 lanes) you can hit 150mph easy then go into a turn that requires you to be at 50mph if you can really push the bike. So they'll get drag racing on the 3 lane section against their buddy. Hit 150mph then realize a tight turn is in front of them and SPLAT.