PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Ninja ZX-10R on Technical Hold

acalliste
12-11-2010, 04:54 PM
IRVINE, Calif. (Dec. 11, 2010) — Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A. is placing a technical hold on the 2011 Ninja® ZX™-10R sportbike. The company is proactively addressing a remedy which reflects Kawasaki’s commitment to excellence and its relationships with its highly valued customers and dealer network.

The following actions are being initiated through the Kawasaki dealer network:

• Unsold units will be returned to KMC warehouses. The units will be redistributed once Kawasaki is 100 percent confident they reflect company standards for this highly technical, race-bred machine.

• Those who have taken delivery of a unit will be instructed to return the unit to the dealership for a full refund and will be among the first to have the option of receiving a new unit once the technical hold has been lifted.

Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A. (KMC) markets and distributes Kawasaki motorcycles, ATVs, personal watercraft, utility vehicles and recreation utility vehicles through a network of more than 1,400 independent retailers, with an additional 8,000 retailers specializing in Kawasaki power products and general purpose engines. KMC and its affiliates employ nearly 3,100 people in the
United States, with 300 of them located at KMC's Irvine, California headquarters.

Kawasaki’s tagline, “Let the good times roll.™”, is recognized worldwide. The Kawasaki brand has become synonymous with powerful, stylish motorcycles for over four decades. Information about Kawasaki’s complete line of recreational products and Kawasaki affiliates can be found on the Internet at Kawasaki Motorcycles, ATV, Jet Ski Watercraft, Utility Vehicles, Recreational Utility Vehicles (http://www.kawasaki.com).

Dave
12-11-2010, 05:08 PM
Rumor is bikes got in the wild with the derestricted euro spec ecu...

acalliste
12-11-2010, 05:10 PM
Well, that would be pretty wild, but according to my contact, this is a world-wide issue and not limited to the US spec bikes.

Dave
12-11-2010, 05:42 PM
Well, that would be pretty wild, but according to my contact, this is a world-wide issue and not limited to the US spec bikes.

Hrm that puts a damper on the zxforums theory

OTB
12-21-2010, 09:05 AM
Apparently they blew up a bike during the press launch at Qatar, and found a motor issue during the autopsy....

z06boy
12-21-2010, 11:39 AM
I knew the dyno #'s were BS !! :rofl: :rofl: I keed...I keed !!

shmike
12-21-2010, 01:29 PM
Apparently they blew up a bike during the press launch at Qatar, and found a motor issue during the autopsy....

Yep.

Pistons cracking & rings allowing blow-by.

I've also heard of cracking frames and misplaced welds.

Dave
12-21-2010, 02:24 PM
Yep.

Pistons cracking & rings allowing blow-by.

I've also heard of cracking frames and misplaced welds.

Wonder how much of that's coming from bmw owners? :lol:

Trip
12-21-2010, 03:24 PM
Wonder how much of that's coming from bmw owners? :lol:

fuck you, i dont care about kawasucki

:lol:

Porkchop
12-21-2010, 04:40 PM
Hmmmm..... wasnt there a massive S1000RR recall last year???? :whistle:

Dave
12-21-2010, 05:54 PM
fuck you, i dont care about kawasucki

:lol:

Now now farmer trip, you know damn well I wasn't Maligning you or your big blue tractor :lol

Amber Lamps
12-21-2010, 06:52 PM
and the Suzuki man says, "Sometimes it's better to rest on your laurels...":lol:

Dave
12-21-2010, 07:13 PM
and the Suzuki man says, "Sometimes it's better to rest on your laurels...":lol:

Any more resting and they're gonna start shipping unsold srads as new models :lol:

Amber Lamps
12-21-2010, 07:15 PM
Any more resting and they're gonna start shipping unsold srads as new models :lol:

True... I honestly wonder what the deal is? :idk: At least they have a bike this year-paint and graphics are the only changes though...

http://suzukicycles.com/Product%20Lines/Cycles/Products/GSX-R1000/2011/GSXR1000.aspx?category=sportbike

Dave
12-21-2010, 07:23 PM
True... I honestly wonder what the deal is? :idk:

Dunno. Car biz and the bad choices in racing must be chewing up their cash.

Homeslice
12-21-2010, 09:24 PM
The Zuk rider only demands top-shelf graphics, not top-shelf technology :lol:

goof2
12-21-2010, 10:02 PM

:lol

acalliste
12-30-2010, 07:28 AM
Update -

For Immediate Release

SALES HOLD ON 2011 NINJA® ZX-10R TO BE LIFTED IN JANUARY

Kawasaki dealers to resume sales as normal.

IRVINE, Calif. (Dec. 29, 2010)---Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A. today announced that the recent sales hold placed on the 2011 Ninja ZX-10R sportbike is expected to be lifted in late January and that sales of the highly-anticipated unit will resume as normal.

According to Kawasaki engineers, the proactive sales hold resulted from a finding that indicated possible surging of the intake valve spring when the unit is operated under unique riding conditions, such as on a racetrack. The surge could cause the intake valve to seat improperly, resulting in poor engine performance.

The camshaft, valve springs, and spring retainers are being replaced to prevent the valves from surging, without affecting engine performance.

Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A. (KMC) markets and distributes Kawasaki motorcycles, ATVs, personal watercraft, utility vehicles and recreation utility vehicles through a network of more than 1,400 independent retailers, with another 8,000 retailers specializing in Kawasaki power products and general purpose engines. KMC and its affiliates employ nearly 3,100 people in the United States, with 300 of them located at Kawasaki’s Irvine, Calif. headquarters.

Kawasaki’s tagline, “Let the good times roll.”, is recognized worldwide. The Kawasaki brand has become synonymous with powerful, stylish motorcycles for over four decades. Information about Kawasaki’s complete line of recreational products and Kawasaki affiliates can be found on the Internet at www.kawasaki.com.

Particle Man
12-30-2010, 07:39 AM
Nice to find it now rather than later...

Dave
12-30-2010, 09:05 AM
Why swap cams on a valve float issue? I hope the specs are the same or better

goof2
01-08-2011, 01:01 PM
Why swap cams on a valve float issue? I hope the specs are the same or better

There are a few possible reasons. The original profile could have been too aggressive allowing the valve to lose contact with the cam. As I understand it this can be corrected with stiffer valve springs, but after a certain point this will effect wear. Kawi may have already been at that point. The original profile could have also been creating harmonics Kawi couldn't work around. This is all speculation on my part though. Either way they must have had a pretty good reason as the cams are something I'm sure they didn't want to change.