PDA

View Full Version : Jump starting a bike.

t-homo
06-17-2008, 11:05 PM
Ok so here is the story. The regulator rectifier on my bike went out a couple of weeks ago and hasn't started since, but worked jump starting it from another bike or pop starting it. I figured out it was the reg/rect after I checked the battery voltage while the bike was on and it was 18v. (Normally would be about 12, then drop to 10 with turning on the key, then starter button drops it to 6) The shop said to wait to order the battery to make sure it wasn't just the reg/rect drawing a shit ton. So I replaced the reg/rect today and its charging at 13.9 (regular). Now my battery should be in on Friday.

Ok so after this whole story, can I jump start my bike from a car battery? There isn't a good hill to pop start my bike at my work but I really want to ride it in.

JoJoYZF
06-17-2008, 11:08 PM
Ok so here is the story. The regulator rectifier on my bike went out a couple of weeks ago and hasn't started since, but worked jump starting it from another bike or pop starting it. I figured out it was the reg/rect after I checked the battery voltage while the bike was on and it was 18v. (Normally would be about 12, then drop to 10 with turning on the key, then starter button drops it to 6) The shop said to wait to order the battery to make sure it wasn't just the reg/rect drawing a shit ton. So I replaced the reg/rect today and its charging at 13.9 (regular). Now my battery should be in on Friday.

Ok so after this whole story, can I jump start my bike from a car battery? There isn't a good hill to pop start my bike at my work but I really want to ride it in.

Im not gonna lie, I love riding to work but at that point I wouldnt go through the hassle.

Dnyce
06-17-2008, 11:29 PM
you could. but id just wait for the battery honestly

OneSickPsycho
06-17-2008, 11:31 PM
Pop it into 2nd, pull in the clutch, push it down the driveway, jump on, pop the clutch and ride to work.

t-homo
06-17-2008, 11:33 PM
That's not the problem. Its once I am at work and wanting to come home. The battery doesn't push enough amps for the starter, and there isn't really a hill at all there. One of my friends would jump me he said, as I jumped his classic truck a couple times.

Dnyce
06-17-2008, 11:34 PM
just have that friend push you. less hassle

Dave
06-18-2008, 10:44 AM
its really not that bad if the bikes design allows easy access...

Trip
06-18-2008, 11:13 AM
you dont need a hill, just get a good run start and hop on before you let go of the clutch

Gas Man
06-18-2008, 01:22 PM
When you jump start it, be sure that the car is not running. Car's put out too much amperage out of their alternators and you can fry things in your bike.

rider76
06-18-2008, 02:41 PM
Gasman is right about the jump starting... Just have a friend give you a push, dont have to get it going very fast to push start it.

azoomm
06-18-2008, 03:15 PM
When you jump start it, be sure that the car is not running. Car's put out too much amperage out of their alternators and you can fry things in your bike.

That's what I was going to say. Jumping it off a running car can create more issues than you have now.

Just bump start it, or grow patience.

DLIT
06-18-2008, 03:42 PM

I jumped my bike while the car was running once and nothing happened to it, but wat you said sounds right. Safe than sorry.

Gas Man
06-18-2008, 11:33 PM
I jumped my bike while the car was running once and nothing happened to it, but wat you said sounds right. Safe than sorry.
Yeah I have done it before with no problems but I have also had it burn out my voltage regulator. No joke.

I suggest jump start over push start if possible.