PDA

View Full Version : First slip on the Bridgestones.

Rider
06-20-2008, 10:37 AM
Ok so I had a scary moment yesterday on the new bike. I was out at lunch and it was a cool day, about 55-60 I'd guess. I had left work and was about 2 miles from work. I was at a stop sign making a left turn. I take of and get about 3/4 of the way through the turn and my rear tire stepped out on me about a foot for so. I was probably about half throttle and 5-6K rpm so I was no where near pushing it hard so I kept the throttle steady and just rode out of it. It was a scary moment for me. :panic: I never had that happen on the Kawi. Not sure if the Bridgestones suck or it they just take longer to warm up, but the PP's NEVER stepped out like that. Anyway all is good, but I am going to be a little more cautious on these tires. If it happens again, I'm going straight in for some new tires.

No Worries
06-20-2008, 01:04 PM
It takes nerves of steel to stay on the throttle when the rear steps out, but it is the best way to avoid a spill. Good save.

NONE_too_SOFT
06-20-2008, 03:57 PM
same thing's happened to me a couple times, but gravel was to blame. not a lot, as i never saw it, but you sure can feel it.

R1up0n1
06-20-2008, 04:12 PM
It was a mixture of 2 things.... one the pavement wasn't hot or your tires.
I've had MANY Bridgestone and Michelin PP's....the PP's take the cake on being the best.

DLIT
06-20-2008, 05:23 PM
I put 548 miles on my R6 before I put the PP's on it. I knew how good they were from having them on my '04. I replaced the stocks after 548 miles, not because they sucked, but because I knew how much the PP's rock.

ceo012384
06-21-2008, 12:19 AM
I put 548 miles on my R6 before I put the PP's on it. I knew how good they were from having them on my '04. I replaced the stocks after 548 miles, not because they sucked, but because I knew how much the PP's rock.

I put 4k miles and 3 track days on my stock tires.

Now I've done a couple track days on the corsa IIIs and HOLY SHIT are those stock tires pieces of shit in comparison.

Although with the dual compound the softer outer compound is wearing pretty heavily though in comparison to the harder middle compound... I hope I can get some good mileage out of them.

Cutty72
06-21-2008, 11:45 AM

Now I've done a couple track days on the corsa IIIs and HOLY SHIT are those stock tires pieces of shit in comparison.

Although with the dual compound the softer outer compound is wearing pretty heavily though in comparison to the harder middle compound... I hope I can get some good mileage out of them.

If you get 4K miles, consider yourself extremely lucky.
3K on the rear with, front may last through another rear...
But i LOVE how they stick! Only had it step out once on the track, and I got WAY too happy with the throttle. Damn V-twins.

Trip
06-21-2008, 02:11 PM
The PPs that you are use to warm up very quickly and don't take much to warm up. So you won't get slippage as easy. The bridgestones may take some hard miles to warm up to operation for twisties and such. I doubt you went beyond the tires ability, probably just didnt get to operating temp.

Cutty, Ceo has a 600, his bike doesn't spin the rear like yours bike will. You are just throttle happy with a much bigger motor.

DLIT
06-21-2008, 03:11 PM
The PPs that you are use to warm up very quickly and don't take much to warm up. So you won't get slippage as easy. The bridgestones may take some hard miles to warm up to operation for twisties and such. I doubt you went beyond the tires ability, probably just didnt get to operating temp.

Cutty, Ceo has a 600, his bike doesn't spin the rear like yours bike will. You are just throttle happy with a much bigger motor.

He has the same size motor as his old Kawi. Ceo's bike will spin that motherfucker.

Cutty72
06-21-2008, 03:14 PM

I know full well that I got throttle happy. Just saying that with a torquey Vtwin, I got about 3K street miles. With his 600, and track days thrown in, that's a realistic number to hit.

DLIT
06-21-2008, 03:23 PM
I forgot Trip was talkin to Cutty, my bad on that same size motor as his Kawi comment.

ceo012384
06-22-2008, 01:16 AM
If you get 4K miles, consider yourself extremely lucky.

Yeah that was with the shitty stock tires which are a harder compound, and for the first few thousand miles I was still a new rider.

These tires (the corsa IIIs), based on the fact that they're seeing mostly track use, are not going to last 4k miles ;)

Although maybe.... because if I rip the shit out of the edges with track days, and then ride a lot of street which takes care of the middle... I could really get the most possible out of them. Might be 4k.

DLIT
06-22-2008, 02:16 AM
Yeah that was with the shitty stock tires which are a harder compound, and for the first few thousand miles I was still a new rider.

These tires (the corsa IIIs), based on the fact that they're seeing mostly track use, are not going to last 4k miles ;)

Although maybe.... because if I rip the shit out of the edges with track days, and then ride a lot of street which takes care of the middle... I could really get the most possible out of them. Might be 4k.

The heat cycles will eat those tires up if you do that.

pickle.of.doom
06-22-2008, 10:41 AM

Now imagine how nice it will feel when you step up to a real tire, like say a Michelin Pilot Power? :whistle: :D

Trip
06-22-2008, 10:47 AM
Now imagine how nice it will feel when you step up to a real tire, like say a Michelin Pilot Power? :whistle: :D

:lol: a corsa III pwnz a regular PP. 2CT is it's equal.

Cutty72
06-23-2008, 12:34 AM
I'm contemplating powers for my next tire. Figure they should last the rest of the season at least. Just not sure if i want to go to a sport touring tire on that beast...

Hey drewp, what kinda mileage do you get out of powers on your RC?

dReWpY
06-23-2008, 12:55 AM
front is pretty good, honestly- about 7k now, and its fine

rear maybe 4-6k depending on what and how i ride, but now that i am in TN i would be lucky to see 3-4k since i live in twisty heavin

now m3's were nice but were gone at 5 of easy riding, the pp will last longer
but the m3 was a sticky tire

the pilot race i just put on, holy shit omg i think i am in love, sick traction- thing is i can figure on only 1k out of it :lol:

Cutty72
06-23-2008, 12:58 AM
I'll probably try powers then... and hope for a bit over 5K.
If not, well... I'll ride the SV with the Road 2's to see if i like them enough to put on mine.

dReWpY
06-23-2008, 01:01 AM
you want what i think is the best combination, a pp front and a road 2 rear

Cutty72
06-23-2008, 01:03 AM
you want what i think is the best combination, a pp front and a road 2 rear

I'm a little worried about my over active right wrist overpowering the traction of the road though...
And wondering if the road will stick enough to work on the track.

Oh yeah, and you still haven't answered my question about what cruise you have. :tt:

dReWpY
06-23-2008, 01:07 AM
their is a guy here running around on road 2's and he is faster then shit and has td them and said they were up to snuff for that kinda shit

the cruise control is a vista cruise i think... checking, sorry been super busy and not having a pc of my own till july when i pick my comp up from OH

yeah vista cruise

Cutty72
06-23-2008, 01:08 AM
their is a guy here running around on road 2's and he is faster then shit and has td them and said they were up to snuff for that kinda shit

the cruise control is a vista cruise i think... checking, sorry been super busy and not having a pc of my own till july when i pick my comp up from OH

yeah vista cruise

Cool thanks.

May be puttin the PR2's on it then.. we shall see.

dReWpY
06-23-2008, 01:09 AM
the turn in with the r2 front sucks comparaed to the pp so the pp would be the way to go for the front, just word on the street

Cutty72
06-23-2008, 01:12 AM
the turn in with the r2 front sucks comparaed to the pp so the pp would be the way to go for the front, just word on the street

turn in on with the 1125 is pretty quick as it... From guys that have run them, PP's are almost TOO quick on it, but we'll see.

No Worries
06-23-2008, 01:52 PM
Tires are only part of the traction equation. Of course, correct tire pressure is super important for preventing heat build-up, having the correct contact patch, and proper flex. Tire temperature is also important. At high temperatures, the rubber can degrade and leach oil (tire got greasy). When cold, the rubber becomes hard and doesn't conform to the peaks and valleys in the road. Tires also become harder with age. The tire profile and size also influence traction.

But road conditions (concrete, asphalt, rain grooves, etc.) also influence traction, as does the suspension of the bike. When braking, most of the load is on the front wheel, and when accelerating, most of the load is on the rear wheel. The lean angle also affects traction. But the lean angle of the bike can be reduced by hanging off, which changes the center of gravity of the bike.

ceo012384
06-24-2008, 03:08 PM
The heat cycles will eat those tires up if you do that.
Why would the heat cycles matter if I'm essentially just using them as takeoffs for the street?
The corsaIII isn't a real tire? :panic:

CW AF 03
06-25-2008, 03:14 PM

I'm not a Michelin fan anymore. The Power Race has a softer carcass so the tire soaks up the bumps. I couldn't feel what my tires were doing and it always made me feel uneasy. With the Dunlops 209/211, the carcass is harder so you can feel the suspension working and you know EXACTLY what kind of grip you have. Freakin' awesome!:rockout:

Cutty72
06-25-2008, 06:52 PM
For race tires, i've heard great things about the dunlop Ntecs. :idk:

Never tried them (or any race tire) but CRA guys are switching from Pilot Races to the N tecs.