PDA

View Full Version : for the track lovers...

itgirl
06-23-2008, 08:02 AM
wondering how many of you lost it at the track...

PhiSig1071
06-23-2008, 08:24 AM
Yep. I was pushing hard riding with a couple good friends, I passed them on the outside of Turn 1 at Jennings, and shortly thereafter I tucked the front and lowsided. Right in front of them. At about 110mph. Thankfully I was knee down so I didn't have far to fall! :lol:

Now here's the thing, yes, I crashed. At a VERY high rate of speed. And I walked over to my bike (once I finally stopped sliding!), picked it up, waited for the crash truck, put a new rearset on and went back out next session. I lowsided on the street at about 55mph and got so screwed up I got a med-discharge from the Army.

When you're on the track you're usually riding at pretty damn close to 10/10th's pace, and when you're pushing your skill to that edge sometimes shit happens :idk:.

itgirl
06-23-2008, 08:42 AM
i'd love to do a trackday sometime, but i wanted to see how likely it is to crash. i can't afford to wad my bike up on purpose and pay to fix it. but if it happens on the street, well someone else is definately gonna pay for it then. so i take my chances out there (karma, not riding wise).

Trip
06-23-2008, 09:35 AM
i'd love to do a trackday sometime, but i wanted to see how likely it is to crash. i can't afford to wad my bike up on purpose and pay to fix it. but if it happens on the street, well someone else is definately gonna pay for it then. so i take my chances out there (karma, not riding wise).

just depends on how hard you choose to push it, if you go full out you are more likely to go down than if you take it easy

the chi
06-23-2008, 09:51 AM
Dont assume you are going to wreck at the track sweetie, like Trip said, if you go out and really push it, yes your chances are pretty good, but if you go out there, have fun, ride a steady and enjoyable pace for you, its MUCH safer than the street and alot more fun!! No traffic debris, no cars, nothing out there to get you.

Cutty72
06-23-2008, 10:40 AM
I got close on my first track day. It was the last session and I was pushing too hard. Called it quits after that.
Comonboys is thinkging about doing a track day too, but she's unsure if she is confidant enough to do it.
Like I told her, just cause others are doing 160 down the front straight doesn't mean you have to. The track is just like riding anywhere else, ride your own ride.

DLIT
06-23-2008, 11:08 AM
I refuse to check the top one because I haven't crashed but I don't believe 'm the man, the myth and the legend. My time will come. The faster I get the more mistakes will make the higher the possibilty you wreck. Just gotta be smooth out there. I've been off the track 3 times though. Didn't feel good going into the turn or turned in too late so I just rode straight off the track and used my rear brake only in the dirt.

dReWpY
06-23-2008, 12:18 PM
i put down really lucky

pickle.of.doom
06-23-2008, 12:37 PM
I've done at least 15 track days so far, no crashes yet. *fingers crossed*

itgirl
06-23-2008, 02:50 PM
thanks for all the responses so far. gives me something to think about.

Trip
06-23-2008, 02:54 PM
going to the track is definitely worth the risk, it makes you a much better rider. However, be prepared to be addicted and spend all yer moneyz on it.

PhiSig1071
06-23-2008, 03:03 PM
Oh yeah. It's WELL worth it. If you go out there and ride your own ride then the chances that you'll bin it are pretty slim. If you're out there like me, trying to get faster, get better, and constantly improve my abilities then the chances of taking a spill are a little higher. Thankfully you wont be on the track with speed-junkies like me, you'll be on novice.

The thing is, you never really know what your bike can actually DO until you get it on a track, there are so many variables that street riding doesn't do you bike any justice. I think every non-squid/poser sportbike rider should get some track time.

NESBA does a "intro" day for people who have never ridden a track before, it's classroom and a few guided sessions, it's a chance to get out on the track with a lower intimidation factor. Might be worth checking into!

ceo012384
06-24-2008, 03:26 PM
If you don't want to crash, just ride in the beginner group and don't crash. Simple as that.

If you want to get better and faster, ride harder. Your chances of crashing increase. Risk vs. reward.

And yes there are uncontrollables... Shit happens, but the likelihood is FAR less on the track.

Riding on the track and learning the limits of yourself and your machine is an invaluable experience. It will make you a better rider in any and all situations and put everything in perspective. Just do it.

The only thing is.... right before you go to the track, look in your wallet. That's the most money you'll ever have again.