PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Kx450F or Yz450F?

Tmall
01-12-2011, 10:30 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm selling the Buell and picking up either one of those. Does anybody have experience with either and if so, what did you think?

Is this just a case of "pick which one looks nicest" because they're practically the same? Or are there known problems with either?

TYEster
01-13-2011, 08:44 AM
The first thing I'd ask is how much dirt experience do you have? I generally wouldn't recommend a 450 for a beginning rider. In fact, I wouldn't ever, lol.

The KX generally tends have much more power on tap, but there are certain areas where it would "suffer" to the YZ. I think handling was one of them. Granted if you have the money and can set them up for your abilities, you won't really experience a difference.

As for general issues I can't think of any that come to mind, but if you're getting a used dirtbike there's always lots of things to look at.

BTW are you dead set on 08s? Because the KX450 came with fuel injection in 2009 along with the Honda 450 and from what I hear the FI on dirtbikes is the fucking tits.

Tmall
01-13-2011, 10:49 AM
I don't actually plan on racing motocross. The majority of my time will be spent dicking around on logging roads. I would prefer the wr or similar Kawi. But, I intend on buying from a shop I like and trust and I'm going by what used stock they have.

TYEster
01-13-2011, 12:29 PM
I don't actually plan on racing motocross. The majority of my time will be spent dicking around on logging roads. I would prefer the wr or similar Kawi. But, I intend on buying from a shop I like and trust and I'm going by what used stock they have.

Then a trailbike would be best suited for your needs. Not a MX'er.

Aside from the bullshit annoyance of the kickstart, you won't have to keep up meticulous maintenance you should be doing. Plus a trailbike should offer a little more comfort.

Are you going to be hauling ass on it or just using it to get around? I'd go with a 250f simply through trees n such because it'll be lighter than a 450, but if you really need the power - stick with that then.

Tmall
01-13-2011, 12:37 PM
Then a trailbike would be best suited for your needs. Not a MX'er.

Aside from the bullshit annoyance of the kickstart, you won't have to keep up meticulous maintenance you should be doing. Plus a trailbike should offer a little more comfort.

Are you going to be hauling ass on it or just using it to get around? I'd go with a 250f simply through trees n such because it'll be lighter than a 450, but if you really need the power - stick with that then.

I spent most of my life riding through the bush on quads and mx'ers and dual purpose/trail bikes.

It's mainly going to be for short jaunts on some trails and screwing around with a buddy of mine.

The power isn't a need, but it is a definite want.

I've been reading reviews and the consensus seems to be that the Yami is a little down on power but handles well. But, I don't think I'd notice it missing any power. It supposedly has very little hours and belonged to the owner of the shop. The salesman says he never rode it much. I'm leaning toward that at the moment.

TYEster
01-13-2011, 12:57 PM
I spent most of my life riding through the bush on quads and mx'ers and dual purpose/trail bikes.

It's mainly going to be for short jaunts on some trails and screwing around with a buddy of mine.

The power isn't a need, but it is a definite want.

I've been reading reviews and the consensus seems to be that the Yami is a little down on power but handles well. But, I don't think I'd notice it missing any power. It supposedly has very little hours and belonged to the owner of the shop. The salesman says he never rode it much. I'm leaning toward that at the moment.

As long as you've actually ridden offroad, that's fine. I just worry about people who jump right on a 450 and think they can hit a triple no prob and then wind up with broken bones or worse.

By down on power they mean 1 to 2.5hp - which in the world of sub-250lb bikes can make a difference if you're racing, but not for what you want it for. And even then, a slip-on pipe and the right gearing would put the YZ ahead of the KX with the same rider.

Really it's just what color scheme you like better.

Krabill
01-21-2011, 03:07 PM
The yzf has more hp than any human in the known universe can possibly handle. The kx has slightly more.

Pick your favorite color.

CasterTroy
01-21-2011, 03:29 PM
I don't actually plan on racing motocross. The majority of my time will be spent dicking around on logging roads..

Then DO NOT under ANY circumstance get a 450 of ANY flavor!

I got my 450 to ride supermoto and to occationally ride in the woods with my son.

I'm now looking for a 250 to ride with the boy because riding a 450 on even a fire road is like cutting a Christmas turkey with a STIHL 880 Chainsaw :lol:

I kid you not, the 450 is STOOPIDLY overpowered and you CAN NOT keep the front wheel on the ground in any gear.

I'm a big guy, and even leaned over the handlebars I get lift in ANY GEAR. Even when I'm geared for motard days (15f 42r) and have a top speed of 105

Look for a 4 stroke 250 for trails and logging roads, and I promise you that you'll be more than happy

Tmall
01-21-2011, 04:25 PM
I can't beat the deal I'm getting. If nothing falls through, I should have a '10 Kx450f for $2200 off sticker and only $1000 off of the price of used 08's.

Edit: Does it really do over 100mph???

goof2
01-21-2011, 05:07 PM
I can't beat the deal I'm getting. If nothing falls through, I should have a '10 Kx450f for $2200 off sticker and only $1000 off of the price of used 08's.

If it is geared right and done up as a supermoto it should. Again, with proper gearing I don't see a reason why a 450 set up for dirt wouldn't, though with that small front brake and dirt tires I can think of a few reasons why one shouldn't.

TYEster
01-21-2011, 07:23 PM

You have to get the biggest front sprocket and the smallest rear and it will hit it at the VERY top of the highest gear.(either 4th or 5th depending on the year 450)

CasterTroy
01-21-2011, 08:15 PM
though with that small front brake and dirt tires I can think of a few reasons why one shouldn't.

Thats why you get the big ass rotor :boobs:

http://www.troybaker.com/dirt/rmz04.jpg

Tmall
01-21-2011, 08:55 PM
I should have assumed if a baby ninja can do it. I just never thought about it. That's pretty insane.

I should hear back from the dealer in a few days. Hopefully everything works out.

goof2
01-21-2011, 11:38 PM
Thats why you get the big ass rotor :boobs:

http://www.troybaker.com/dirt/rmz04.jpg

I get that on a supermoto setup, but like I said when its set up for the dirt with knobbies and small rotor it becomes a less than stellar idea.

Tmall
01-22-2011, 11:42 AM
Picking it up this week. I have no pics yet so here's a stock photo. Ya, that's right a stock photo.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/photogallerys/2010-kawasaki-kx450-5.jpg

karl_1052
01-22-2011, 03:35 PM
With the maintenance schedule for those bikes, no thanks.

http://www.mxguy.com/motorcycle-maintenance/2006-kawasaki-kx450f-service-manual_03-21-2008/

Cylinder head service every 15 hours?
crankshaft inspection at 15hrs?

You will be working on it more than riding it.

TYEster
01-22-2011, 08:26 PM
With the maintenance schedule for those bikes, no thanks.

http://www.mxguy.com/motorcycle-maintenance/2006-kawasaki-kx450f-service-manual_03-21-2008/

Cylinder head service every 15 hours?
crankshaft inspection at 15hrs?

You will be working on it more than riding it.

That's recommended for someone who can ride the bike to it's actual capability. About 80% of 450 motocrossers will never reach that, much less trail riding it.

And it's most likely valve checking every 15hrs in that "cylinder head service", once you have that all open you can just check and see if it's blowing up oil in there. It's good to check valves, but I know plenty who go awhile before any major adjustment. They go can anywhere from 30 to 50 hours. Hell my bike had 58 before the previous owner checked it and only 1 valve(out of 5) barely needing adjusting.

If you motard the bike that will require slightly more frequent checks as you'll be reaching much faster speeds and the motor can be spun up much higher in the RPMs than just sticking to dirt and using the retarded torque it makes.

I do recommend REGULAR air filter changes and depending on what oil you use, you can get away with the full 15hrs. ALSO since it's a brand new bike, please get one of these for it.

http://www.btosports.com/c/HOURMETERS-ELE

They make the WORLD of difference in logging when you need to service it. Have it installed before you even kick the bike over once to ride it.

Tmall
01-22-2011, 08:51 PM
What's your opinion on stainless steel reusable oil filters? I'll definitely be buying an hour meter.

I'll be geared up pretty well. Is there anything else I should be considering?

TYEster
01-22-2011, 08:57 PM
What's your opinion on stainless steel reusable oil filters? I'll definitely be buying an hour meter.

I'll be geared up pretty well. Is there anything else I should be considering?

I use one, they seem to catch just as much as the paper filters. Just make sure to really inspect it each oil change and really clean it good. I use a little cleaner and air nozzle to blow it out in a rag catching any tiny metal particles. At my Cycle Gear they charge $4.95 for 1 paper filter, I have a Moose stainless that was $29.99 that paid for itself twice already.

And even if you don't want to MX, outside of helmet/goggles/boots, neck braces are all the craze in the latest safety technology. Mainly Leatt braces, but Alpinestars and EVS have some out as well.

karl_1052
01-23-2011, 10:33 AM
That's recommended for someone who can ride the bike to it's actual capability. About 80% of 450 motocrossers will never reach that, much less trail riding it.

And it's most likely valve checking every 15hrs in that "cylinder head service", once you have that all open you can just check and see if it's blowing up oil in there. It's good to check valves, but I know plenty who go awhile before any major adjustment. They go can anywhere from 30 to 50 hours. Hell my bike had 58 before the previous owner checked it and only 1 valve(out of 5) barely needing adjusting.

If you motard the bike that will require slightly more frequent checks as you'll be reaching much faster speeds and the motor can be spun up much higher in the RPMs than just sticking to dirt and using the retarded torque it makes.

I do recommend REGULAR air filter changes and depending on what oil you use, you can get away with the full 15hrs. ALSO since it's a brand new bike, please get one of these for it.

http://www.btosports.com/c/HOURMETERS-ELE

They make the WORLD of difference in logging when you need to service it. Have it installed before you even kick the bike over once to ride it.

My point is, that for trail riding a trail bike is so much better and easier to live with.

Tmall
01-23-2011, 11:38 AM
My point is, that for trail riding a trail bike is so much better and easier to live with.

And I'm alright with that. I might not need a Ferrari to go get coffee, doesn't mean I still wouldn't like it.

Apoc
01-23-2011, 12:53 PM
Grats on the new KX man. And dont listen to anyone here. You know damn well you wont be happy unless you go with the biggest and baddest. :p

TYEster
01-23-2011, 01:01 PM

I know I told him over PM.

But it is what it is.

Apoc
01-23-2011, 01:16 PM
I know I told him over PM.

But it is what it is.

Dude. We grew up in the countryside. We both have a ton of experience in dirt (mostly 2 strokes). You guys make it sound like he doesnt know what he's getting into. He asked for advice on 2 different bikes, not advice on how many CC's he should get.

I wouldnt buy anything less than a 450f for dirt either. And yes, I have ridden them on multiple occasions.

TYEster
01-23-2011, 02:32 PM
Dude. We grew up in the countryside. We both have a ton of experience in dirt (mostly 2 strokes). You guys make it sound like he doesnt know what he's getting into. He asked for advice on 2 different bikes, not advice on how many CC's he should get.

I wouldnt buy anything less than a 450f for dirt either. And yes, I have ridden them on multiple occasions.

Ok that's great. Have fun with it, it's not my life so I don't care lol.

I just simply stated if you have 0 experience, it will be too much.

Apoc
01-23-2011, 05:03 PM
Ok that's great. Have fun with it, it's not my life so I don't care lol.

I just simply stated if you have 0 experience, it will be too much.

And he's stated, in this thread already, that he has more than zero experience. Much more.

We grew up in a town where its as easy to get around with a dirtbike as it is with a car. When city kids were riding bicycles, we were riding dirtbikes, quads, and sleds. Off road is nothing new to him or I. I dunno why thats so hard for you guys to understand. I dunno where you get this zero experience idea.

And after riding my friend Cliffords yz450f. i'd have to say its pretty docile compared to 250 and 500 2-strokes.

Tmall
01-23-2011, 05:26 PM
I was thinking about stretching and lowering it. Also thought about polishing the expansion chamber after I rejet the carb and set the gap on the points.

Apoc
01-23-2011, 06:13 PM
I was thinking about stretching and lowering it. Also thought about polishing the expansion chamber after I rejet the carb and set the gap on the points.

Dont forget the chrome and tassles.

TYEster
01-23-2011, 10:46 PM
And he's stated, in this thread already, that he has more than zero experience. Much more.

We grew up in a town where its as easy to get around with a dirtbike as it is with a car. When city kids were riding bicycles, we were riding dirtbikes, quads, and sleds. Off road is nothing new to him or I. I dunno why thats so hard for you guys to understand. I dunno where you get this zero experience idea.

And after riding my friend Cliffords yz450f. i'd have to say its pretty docile compared to 250 and 500 2-strokes.
Alright, I'm done here.

Apoc
01-23-2011, 10:56 PM
Alright, I'm done here.

Thats fine. You still never answered the original question though.

I dont want you to take this the wrong way, because we've been friends here and cf for a long time, but how can you judge what other people should ride when you have never even ridden with them?

If there was a reason behind your opinions, i'd put a little more stock in them. But your talking like your the only person here who rides dirt, and acting like he couldnt possibly handle a 450, when you have no idea what his riding skills are in the first place.

I mean seriously, you've been riding dirt for what, 5 years? We've been doing it since we were 5 years old. We know the difference between a trail and dirt bike, and where each excels. We arent the idiots you seem to be trying to make us out to be.

TYEster
01-23-2011, 11:22 PM
Thats fine. You still never answered the original question though.

I dont want you to take this the wrong way, because we've been friends here and cf for a long time, but how can you judge what other people should ride when you have never even ridden with them?

If there was a reason behind your opinions, i'd put a little more stock in them. But your talking like your the only person here who rides dirt, and acting like he couldnt possibly handle a 450, when you have no idea what his riding skills are in the first place.

I mean seriously, you've been riding dirt for what, 5 years? We've been doing it since we were 5 years old. We know the difference between a trail and dirt bike, and where each excels. We arent the idiots you seem to be trying to make us out to be.

Alright what's the original question - Which bike? I say YZ because I'm a Yamaha fan based on my history and availability of dealerships and the few diehard ones that actually race and sponsor the tracks around here.

I'm not making you out to be idiots. If you have previous experience that's fine. But when he doesn't go into specific detail about some of his questions and comments how am I supposed to respond? I mean, if you're experienced enough as you make yourselves out to be, why ask what kinda gear he needs besides the usual? Well... What's your guys idea of usual? I've seen country side trail riders use a helmet and jeans for gear. But if you go to a certain track with dirt filled with lots of pebbles and stones - a roost protector is listed on the rule sign as part of a "necessary" requirement. These aren't really the type of questions that go along with a 450 purchase so you got my responses.

BTW who else actually rides dirt here and doesn't agree with me? He asked what we thought. If you guys don't like it, don't ask.

Apoc
01-24-2011, 12:00 AM
Alright what's the original question - Which bike? I say YZ because I'm a Yamaha fan based on my history and availability of dealerships and the few diehard ones that actually race and sponsor the tracks around here.

I'm not making you out to be idiots. If you have previous experience that's fine. But when he doesn't go into specific detail about some of his questions and comments how am I supposed to respond? I mean, if you're experienced enough as you make yourselves out to be, why ask what kinda gear he needs besides the usual? Well... What's your guys idea of usual? I've seen country side trail riders use a helmet and jeans for gear. But if you go to a certain track with dirt filled with lots of pebbles and stones - a roost protector is listed on the rule sign as part of a "necessary" requirement. These aren't really the type of questions that go along with a 450 purchase so you got my responses.

BTW who else actually rides dirt here and doesn't agree with me? He asked what we thought. If you guys don't like it, don't ask.

I dont think he was asking about riding gear, I think he was asking about accessories for the bike. Guages, filters, stuff that would make maintaining/monitoring the bike an easier job. I dont think he was asking about helmets, boots, and riding armor. He should damn well know what he needs in that department.

I know that would be my problem with them. I never owned a 4 stroke dirtbike, and I wouldnt know the first thing about accessories for them. 2 strokes were easy. Ride it till it pops, replace the top end, and ride again. Something tells me the 4 strokes arent so simple.

dReWpY
01-24-2011, 12:24 AM
i dont know squat about the new 4 strokes

what i do know is its always funny when debates come up on "this" topic

"this" topic is the hot topic when ever it comes to a hobby, whether it be checking the slid in the gun on youtube, noobs buying 600ss, whether or not the kid will get sick of a 80 mxer or need a 125 2s or a new rider buying a busa and not a 250 cause they were too fat in their minds

its always funny and this is the first thing that comes into mind

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ_0nNpLhPwByoNercNMHXfKAcIlGhNU 9Nni_hyIJ0kkPvfGwHiyw&t=1

CasterTroy
01-24-2011, 08:13 AM

:lol:

Sorry...that right there's just funny

Apoc
01-24-2011, 09:31 AM

Sorry...that right there's just funny

If you think so... Theres a reason the cr/kx500's were called backbreakers. If you think a 450/4 is anywhere near as crazy as a 500/2, then you have obviously never ridden a 500cc 2 stroke.

CasterTroy
01-24-2011, 09:54 AM
If you think a 450/4 is anywhere near as crazy as a 500/2, then you have obviously never ridden a 500cc 2 stroke.

Obviously :lol:

First off...you assume a lot my friend ;)

Second...I never said the 450's WERE as crazy stupid as a 500. I was laughing at the docile comment. You rode ONE 450 and deemed them "docile"

500 I'll give you as being flat out stupid. And no...never rode the CR500. Those you just don't find around here, however, I rode a KX500 at the beach several years ago (sand being much more forgiving and not letting you realize how much power is actually going to the wheel) then again prior to buying the zuke I now have. I was looking for a insane bike to motard out. Drove 4 hours to BUY this last bike with cash in hand, since I had ridden one before. But changed my mind after the ride on actual DIRT.

It had more power (in a very small range of the rpm) than the 450's I rode. But it was a very different power.

The best way to describe it was to compare the 500 2-smoke to a nitrous injected chevy 350 4-bolt main that made 600 hp (when juiced) in a vega. The 450's were 500ci BB's that made 600hp on motor alone in an f-body.

The big block delivers consistent power from 1500rpm to 5000 rpm and throws you back in the seat but with great fury.

The 350 on juice has nothing until 3000 and you hit the button...then the front wheels of that vega develop altitude sickness as the nose of the car suddenly shoots skyward and the left tire hooks up and shoots the car violently into the righthand guardrail
I did not like the delivery on the 500 at all, but I wouldn’t call a 450 docile in comparison. As the 450 will get you in just as much trouble if you're not respecting it.

Now…for the 250 2-smoke, ridden PLENTY of those, and YES a CR250. Owned a 2000 KX250 for several years. And while I loved my KX250 it didn’t have NEARLY the utter POWER and thrust that any 450 I’ve ridden has. To call ANY 450 docile compared to a 250 2-smoke is funny to me. Because if you’re not careful, you WILL wheelie most 450’s in ANY GEAR just above the middle of the rpm range.

BTW...the 250-2 smoke in the comparo would be a 500hp turbo civic drag car :lol:

Apoc
01-24-2011, 12:47 PM
Obviously :lol:

First off...you assume a lot my friend ;)

Second...I never said the 450's WERE as crazy stupid as a 500. I was laughing at the docile comment. You rode ONE 450 and deemed them "docile"

I never said it was docile, I said it feels docile compared to a 2 stroke. Dont get me wrong, the damn things are mean as hell, but they dont have the snap of a 2 stroke. Wheelie in every gear? Hell yes they do. But so does a cr250. Rev fast as hell? Yes, but not like a 2 stroke.

I love the new 4 strokes, they are cool as hell. Much better suspensions, lighter than ever. But they dont have that instant snap that a 2 stroke does.

I would never buy a 250/4, mostly because i'm 6'4, 300lbs (I wouldnt buy any new dirt bike right now actually), but they cant be compared to the smokers in flat out power. At least up till a few years ago, anyway. The yzf I rode is an 06, so perhaps im off base and there has been major improvements, but as of then, not even close. I also owned a 2006 trx450r (honda race quad), and while it was about 75 pounds heavier than a 450 dirt bike, it was close to as fast. A ton of fun? yes. As powerful as, say, a banshee? Not even close.

All im saying is that if you can ride a 250/2, there is no problem to ride a 450/4, and thats pretty much that.

Personally, if I can afford it, im going to pick up either a KX or CR500 this summer, because like Tmall, I want to get out of street riding altogether (between insurance and bike payments, it just isnt worth it to me anymore). I love those old bikes. But if I was going to go new, I wouldnt be looking at 250's, as I spend most of my time in gravel pits and logging roads.

Now, if he wanted something for tight trail riding or trail racing, i'd agree on looking for a 250, but he's not.

And as far as trail bikes, well, personally I hate them. I've ridden a few, and they have done everything well, but nothing great. With a dirt bike, he can do it all, trails, jumps, hard riding, easy riding, and he can even motard it if he wants.

Anyway, im not arguing because I think one kind is better than the other, they are all a ton of fun. Im arguing because he asked a question about 2 different bikes, and got answers that didnt involve any of them. He wanted to know if he should go with the KX450, or the YZ450. And all he got for an answer was 'Get a trail bike' and 'Get a 250'.

CasterTroy
01-24-2011, 01:01 PM
He wanted to know if he should go with the KX450, or the YZ450. And all he got for an answer was 'Get a trail bike' and 'Get a 250'.

And didn't answer when asked what kind of experience he had :idk:

You KNOW him well and know his riding experience so you knew he could handle it..but to US it was just like someone asking you which was better for the city, a GSXR1000 or a busa. Not knowing it was Freddie Spencer asking.

shmike
01-24-2011, 01:02 PM
I never said it was docile, I said it feels docile compared to a 2 stroke. Dont get me wrong, the damn things are mean as hell, but they dont have the snap of a 2 stroke. Wheelie in every gear? Hell yes they do. But so does a cr250. Rev fast as hell? Yes, but not like a 2 stroke.

I also owned a 2006 trx450r (honda race quad), and while it was about 75 pounds heavier than a 450 dirt bike, it was close to as fast. A ton of fun? yes. As powerful as, say, a banshee? Not even close.

I grew up much like you guys, riding all types of dirty toys all kinds of ways they weren't intended. :lol:

I also love me some 2 strokes.

That said, you are flat out wrong about the new 4Ts being down on power vs the old 2Ts.

A stock Banshee makes about 37hp. A stock 450r makes about 39hp.

The old 2Ts were cheap to make fast, they were loud and they hit like a ton of bricks once on the pipe. Just because the new bikes are more quiet and make power in a more linear fashion doesn't mean they are down on power.

Tmall
01-24-2011, 01:19 PM

You KNOW him well and know his riding experience so you knew he could handle it..but to US it was just like someone asking you which was better for the city, a GSXR1000 or a busa. Not knowing it was Freddie Spencer asking.

:boobs:

CasterTroy
01-24-2011, 01:36 PM
:boobs:

You shut the hell up!! We're arguing here.....you have nothing to DO with this

Apoc
01-24-2011, 01:57 PM

You KNOW him well and know his riding experience so you knew he could handle it..but to US it was just like someone asking you which was better for the city, a GSXR1000 or a busa. .

Definitely the Gixxer, unless the Busa is lowered and stretched.

Tmall
01-24-2011, 02:01 PM
I grew up much like you guys, riding all types of dirty toys all kinds of ways they weren't intended. :lol:

I also love me some 2 strokes.

That said, you are flat out wrong about the new 4Ts being down on power vs the old 2Ts.

A stock Banshee makes about 37hp. A stock 450r makes about 39hp.

The old 2Ts were cheap to make fast, they were loud and they hit like a ton of bricks once on the pipe. Just because the new bikes are more quiet and make power in a more linear fashion doesn't mean they are down on power.

The 450's from the last couple years are putting out over 50hp.

I loved how Honda was king of the hill with the 300 and 400 ex. Then Yami came out with the Yfz450r and threw em on their ear.

Tmall
01-29-2011, 02:30 PM
I just picked it up today. Played in the snow a little bit. Unintentionally wheelied it while turning in the road. This thing is going to be a lot of fun!