PDA

View Full Version : this is BS!!

itgirl
06-24-2008, 07:57 PM
my local newspaper does it again. this editorial appeared in today's paper. i bolded the finer points of the article.

Be aware of more motorcyclists

We have to be honest.

We weren't exactly shocked to hear the number of people who died in motorcycle crashes jumped in the two years that followed the state's repeal of mandatory helmet laws.

And news that motorcycle registrations have been shooting upward both locally and statewide didn't really take us by surprise either.

The increase in motorcycle traffic in recent years has been pretty noticeable (thanks to their exhaust systems, perhaps.) And with gas prices continually hitting new highs, it's understandable if more people would be looking at motorcycles, if only for the fuel-efficient rides they provide.

So with more people on motorcycles - at least some of whom are inexperienced - it's no revelation that the number of motorcycle crashes has gone up.

But no matter how obvious any of these outcomes are individually, when considered together, they are kind of shocking.

The fact that the popularity of motorcycles continues to swell, even as the act of riding them becomes increasingly more dangerous, is as remarkable as it is ironic.

And the thing that makes us feel sort of uneasy about the whole situation is that it's a phenomenon that shows no signs of slowing down.

In Adams County, motorcycle registrations have increased by more than 400 between 2006 and 2007, according to numbers provided recently by the state Department of Transportation. York County took on more than 1,500 new riders during the same period.

And in
Advertisement
both counties, the numbers have continued to push forward, with Adams County taking on almost 70 additional registrations so far this year, and York County taking on nearly 20.

As we have conceded already, there are some darn good reasons for this - like trying to balance a household budget in the face of rampant inflation.

But how many new riders will crash, and how many more crashes will result in death as motorcycles take the road?

In 2004-2005, 131 motorcyclists statewide died from head injuries, which represented a 66-percent increase from the 79 who died from such injuries in 2001-2002, before the state's helmet law was repealed, according to a recent study by researchers at the University of Pittsburgh.

Unfortunately, those numbers have increased locally, as well.

And one can only imagine those numbers will continue to increase as the number of motorcyclists goes up.

A lot of bikers who keep their helmets on the backrests of their bikes say they do so because, if they were to crash, it might keep them alive in some vegetative state or to suffer through horrible injuries. Without a helmet, they say, at least they would rest in peace.

We understand that argument.

Given a choice, we would rather see no crashes and no injuries. But that's something we can guarantee won't happen.

So maybe the most realistic approach is for bikers to be as safe as they can.

New riders should take a safety course; several are offered each year. Helmets and other protective gear are a good idea. And we hear a lot from bikers urging drivers to share the road, but don't forget sharing is a two-part relationship, and the more bikers can do to make themselves visible to drivers, the better chances they have of making it home.

It's dangerous out there on the road, and the more we're all conscious of that, the better off we'll all be.

.................................................. .................................................. ..........................

i am all for new riders (and veterans) taking safety courses and wearing all their gear, but they make it sound like motorcycle safety is solely the responsibility of the bikers. like riding defensively and wearing neon colors will keep cages from hitting us. it sounds like they want us to do all the work so that cagers can be lazy and continue to not look for us.

i got news for them, a full suit of armor and all the classes in the world can't prevent us from stupid drivers. where is the accountability for the motorists?

anyone else get this? or am i just reading in to it too much?

Mrs. Colleen
06-24-2008, 08:03 PM
I did not read the whole thing....but maybe it has to do with the increase of scooter and small cc motorcyclists that are only riding because of gas prices...and their complete lack of safety ANYTHING!

Around here we have a LOT more small bikes around. Most of them are wear 1/2 - 3/4 helmets (and maybe only because you have to in CA) and NO gear. I doubt many of these people have taken the safety course since they do not even bother with ANY gear.

Not saying I agree with the article...and again I did not read all of it...but maybe that is where they are coming from? :idk:

NONE_too_SOFT
06-24-2008, 08:05 PM
i donno but i've never pooped a butterfly.

Mrs. Colleen
06-24-2008, 08:07 PM

Sounds uncomfortable!

itgirl
06-24-2008, 08:09 PM
perhaps i am just being hyper-sensitive now. notice, though, how loud pipes were mentioned yet again in this article. i am contributing to the destruction of others' serenity. :rockwoot:

in my world, you do it all the time. :)

Mrs. Colleen
06-24-2008, 08:12 PM
perhaps i am just being hyper-sensitive now. notice, though, how loud pipes were mentioned yet again in this article. i am contributing to the destruction of others' serenity. :rockwoot:

You should hear mine! :lol: I did not buy it, it came with the bike. It is obnoxious! :lol: I think it is a race exhaust......

OneSickPsycho
06-24-2008, 09:00 PM
I think this article is much better than the first. She kinda misses the boat when talking about making us more visible, but at the same time bitching about loud pipes. Further, most of these articles like to omit a nice chunk of statistically relevant information... Sure bike accidents have increased, but how does that relate to the number of bikes being registered? That's going to tell you the rest of the story. Ex. If fatalities are up 66%, but registrations are up 85%, then one could surmise that safety is improving.

itgirl
06-24-2008, 09:09 PM
this article wasn't written by the same lady. this was written by the editors of the paper themselves. it was an editorial, not a letter to the editor.

No Worries
06-24-2008, 10:22 PM
In accidents where motorcyclists and vehicles crash, motorcycle fatalities have increased because of SUV's. In Colorado, SUV's are very common, are as large or larger than trucks, and can weigh over three tons.

When a car turns in front of a motorcycle, the motorcyclist has a good chance of going over the car. But in crashes with SUV's, the motorcyclist is going into the SUV.

Don't even get me started with the inattentiveness of drivers.

Dave
06-24-2008, 10:24 PM
as i was cruising to my buddy's house this evening, trapped behind two guys dead set on not exceeding 35 in a 45 zone and not in the least bit interested in letting faster traffic by, i started wondering if these guys are really gonna be surprised that im gonna fly by them when i get a chance (not to showoff or let off steam but to simply get away from people who are driving like jackasses) and then i started thinking that, more likely these guys have no clue im behind them no matter how loud my pipe is. basically what im trying to say (badly, gf is calling me and im trying to watch superbikes at the same time) is people who dont ride arent gonna have a clue whatsoever

in my world, you do it all the time. :)

it tickles

OneSickPsycho
06-24-2008, 10:27 PM
In accidents where motorcyclists and vehicles crash, motorcycle fatalities have increased because of SUV's. In Colorado, SUV's are very common, are as large or larger than trucks, and can weigh over three tons.

When a car turns in front of a motorcycle, the motorcyclist has a good chance of going over the car. But in crashes with SUV's, the motorcyclist is going into the SUV.

Don't even get me started with the inattentiveness of drivers.

That sounds like a solid theory, but I'm a numbers guy... without numbers to quanitify it, you might as well be arguing that Miller Lite is less filling or tastes great...

Dave
06-24-2008, 10:35 PM
that reminds me of that ad where it starts raining and dudes are flipping out cause they think its beer

Gas Man
06-25-2008, 09:48 AM
Sounds like you live in a anti-mc community. I tend to not listen to those fucks sense I can't hear them over my pipes anyway... FUCK THEM!!!

Audiomechanic
06-25-2008, 11:54 AM
That sounds like a solid theory, but I'm a numbers guy... without numbers to quanitify it, you might as well be arguing that Miller Lite is less filling or tastes great...

St. Arnolds FTW.

Sounds like you live in a anti-mc community. I tend to not listen to those fucks sense I can't hear them over my pipes anyway... FUCK THEM!!!

The G-Man's got it.

Dave
06-25-2008, 12:01 PM
annd today some old fuck was hypermiling and had a meltdown when some guy in an suv passed him.

i fuckin hate hippies

big problem today wasnt folks not seeing me it was them getting halfway through their dumb manuever, spotting me and then stopping everything like it makes things better. if they are gonna move they need to do it. how the hell ami supposed to predict what they are going to do and safely counter it if they waffle? idiots

fnfalman
06-30-2008, 05:31 PM
In the way, they are right. Safety is THE SOLE RESPONSIBILITY of the rider. After all, we are the ones that get hurt. Would it be nice if all the cagers look out for us? Yes, it would. Can we bet on it? Nope. So it's up to us to keep ourselves safe.