PDA

View Full Version : Absolute worste beginner bike

Smittie61984
06-28-2008, 03:04 PM
I was thinking about this the other day. I've seen newbies go out and get Litre bikes or even Busa and do alright. But got to thinking what some bikes would be that would just absolutely suck for a newbie.

Now assuming the rider isn't a complete moron what would you think. Say he (Going with he so weight/height of the bike isn't an issue) just didn't have any friends to tell him different (For or against) and he wasn't an internet person. He's going to ride somewhat hard but isn't going to leave the shop doing a wheelie down the interstate (On purpose). Saying they have no motorcycle or even ATV experience.

My vote would be the RC51. That or a Ducati 1098. You could regulate yourself with an inline 4 but I think the very low end torque will get a newbie in big trouble.

Cutty72
06-28-2008, 03:07 PM
I still think the powerband hit of an I4 would still be worse.

Sure, the first few times riding the V-twin they are gonna get scared shitless. But with the I4, they will start out riding down low, until they get a bit more comfortable, then they get ballsy and hammer on it. Powerband hits and BAM... there they lay.

PiZdETS
06-28-2008, 06:45 PM
Turbo hayabusa with two-stage throttle activated nitrous, 2 foot extended swingarm and a bald 120 rear tire.

Instant death for a newb.

Dave
06-28-2008, 07:17 PM
first year tlr1000, theres reasons they called em widowmakers

PhiSig1071
06-28-2008, 08:01 PM
first year tlr1000, theres reasons they called em widowmakers

Oh HELL yes.

I want one of those bikes SO bad, I wrote a bit on that bike on here before, I believe that my exact words were:

"More fun than a room full of hookers and a gallon ziploc of X, but almost as likely to get you in trouble"

Aside from that, the VERY worst bike I have ever seen, the biggest bitch to ride, and the greatest potential for a NASTY highside would HAVE to be a Factory CR500X plated supermoto. I also want one of those.

fnfalman
06-29-2008, 12:18 AM
Big ass cruisers - name your brand here.

Dnyce
06-29-2008, 12:20 AM
Big ass cruisers - name your brand here.

boss hoss

DLIT
06-29-2008, 09:29 AM
An I4 will get you in trouble down low still. You make it sound like there's no power at all down low in an I4. Especially for a newbie with no previous MC or ATV (Me) experience. That's why I'd say any, 600 or higher, sportbike could be potentially the worst. Not so much as the litre bikes, but still...My vote would be ZX14 or Busa. If I had ever rode a v-twin litre bike, my vote may be different, but I've only rode an 848 and didn't romp on the gas.

MikeSP1
06-29-2008, 01:57 PM
I'd say either the RC or TLR. On one of these (especially the RC) you can be cruising very low (outside the powerband), smack it, and it will take off like a raped ape, with an I4 if you're cruising at low engine speed and smack it, it'll go, but just take a little longer. Or any big cruiser.

Cutty72
06-29-2008, 02:22 PM
I'd say either the RC or TLR. On one of these (especially the RC) you can be cruising very low (outside the powerband), smack it, and it will take off like a raped ape, with an I4 if you're cruising at low engine speed and smack it, it'll go, but just take a little longer. Or any big cruiser.

1125 fits in that category too.

Smittie61984
06-29-2008, 03:12 PM
I think a Hayabusa is better than a Litre. The Hayabusa doesn't seem to stand up as much. I've always compare it to a jet taking off. It just starts to pull and slowly starts to bring the front end up. On a litre you smack it and the front is coming up.

Now I've ridden an RC51 and a SV1000. The RC51 was harder to ride to me than the SV1000. I loved it but saw great potential for trouble.

My vote would be any 1000cc+ V-twin.

But yes the powerband of the I4s can get you into a lot of trouble too. I just think someone could actually regulate themselves better with an I4 better than a V-twin which is strong power between 2k-12k compared to 11k-15k.

I also wonder about say the Triumph 1050s. Those have got to be monsters

DLIT
06-29-2008, 03:26 PM
Any newbie with no experience will think any bike above 599cc's is potent as fuck.

Smittie61984
06-29-2008, 08:55 PM
Any newbie with no experience will think any bike above 599cc's is potent as fuck.

Wouldn't that be saying a 600rr, R6, ZX6r, GSXR600 be good for a beginner?

JoJoYZF
06-29-2008, 09:04 PM
Wouldn't that be saying a 600rr, R6, ZX6r, GSXR600 be good for a beginner?

Either you missed a word in here or I think you completely misunderstood him. Any sportbike 599 and bigger is too powerful for a newbie.

Mrs. Colleen
06-29-2008, 09:20 PM

:iagree: With newer bikes anyway. The first bike I rode was an 02 F4i 600 and I could tell just in a parking lot that I could get myself in a lot of trouble on that bike. :willy:

DLIT
06-29-2008, 09:33 PM
Either you missed a word in here or I think you completely misunderstood him. Any sportbike 599 and bigger is too powerful for a newbie.

I wouldn't say "too" powerful. Only because that's exactly what I did and I ended up fine. But they're definately potent enough to make things go bad real quick. The trick is to fear and respect the throttle.

Smittie61984
06-29-2008, 09:34 PM

He said a bike ABOVE 599cc. Most Sport 600 bikes are literally 599CCs. I get what he was saying but making a joke.

Which I was asking this question for poops and giggles. I understand how powerful modern 600s are and how any bike can be lethal. But throw a newbie on a GSXR600 vs a Ducati 1098 or even a Monster SR4 and which bike are they most likely to crash?

R1up0n1
06-29-2008, 10:21 PM
I don't totally agree with all that. I started out on an SV650 and it worked out great. I know Trip started out on an SV650 also.

Cutty72
06-29-2008, 10:23 PM
I don't totally agree with all that. I started out on an SV650 and it worked out great. I know Trip started out on an SV650 also.

As did I. I think a new 600 would be far harder to start on.

R1up0n1
06-29-2008, 10:26 PM
As did I. I think a new 600 would be far harder to start on.

I can agree with that.
I know when I started riding the 600's were nothing like they are today. I think the new 600's almost compare to the old liter bikes.

OneSickPsycho
06-29-2008, 11:05 PM
I can agree with that.
I know when I started riding the 600's were nothing like they are today. I think the new 600's almost compare to the old liter bikes.

Yeah except they weight 200lbs less.

t-homo
06-30-2008, 02:40 AM
I started on a blast, and I recommend everyone starts out on a 250, 500, or 650. I did jump up to a R1 after under a year though. I have yet to pull the front wheel off of the ground. The power on it is really predictable and I can control exactly what I want it to do.

Rider
06-30-2008, 08:03 AM
1098R period.

DLIT
06-30-2008, 11:30 AM

Excluding those. They're weak.

Trip
06-30-2008, 11:42 AM
I don't think you can exclude any bike. It's really up to the person if it is a bad bike or not. Someone with a decent amount of natural talent and self control can start out on the most powerful bike and be perfectly fine, it's really more the person than the bike.

DLIT
06-30-2008, 11:55 AM
I don't think you can exclude any bike. It's really up to the person if it is a bad bike or not. Someone with a decent amount of natural talent and self control can start out on the most powerful bike and be perfectly fine, it's really more the person than the bike.

Exactly.

Smittie61984
06-30-2008, 02:50 PM
Well assuming the person has average skills.

Heard another bike. The new V-max

R1up0n1
06-30-2008, 04:40 PM
Excluding those. They're weak.

That they are...I think stock the damn thing only outs out 65hp

PhiSig1071
06-30-2008, 06:19 PM
Honestly, I'm surprised no one said anything about my pick. OK yeah, in the wrong hands a 600 will kill you, but even in the right hands a plated CR500X could kill you. Hell, I'd be a little timid on that bike, and I've been riding for seven years. I think that would be about the worst bike to learn on.

FT BSTRD
06-30-2008, 06:45 PM
Any bike that costs more than $3,000 and couldn't be thrown down at least 5 times is probably a poor beginner bike.

Audiomechanic
06-30-2008, 07:46 PM
This (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=1562) is the worst.

Phenix_Rider
06-30-2008, 09:13 PM
My vote is the B-King. Be damn careful on that throttle, or you're DONE. 1/8-1/2 turn is insane. WOT is afterburner on the SR-71. Brakes are just as good.

Smittie61984
06-30-2008, 10:21 PM
but even in the right hands a plated CR500X could kill you.

Haha. Didn't think about that. Yeah those are stupid fast...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=JBBoJQehzpA

PT996S
07-02-2008, 11:30 PM
To play devils advocate....

Maybe the worst beginners bike is one that is too tame and instills a pre-mature sense of confidence! Such as the before mentioned 65Hp SV650 or any small hp twin (Monster, EX500, GS500). I have seen plenty of people get really F~ed up on those little bikes in Europe just as fast as the big bikes. And if you get yourself into a bad "Damn I really wish I had another 20hp to make this pass before the bus coming the other way makes me a greasy spot" situations the low HP, low tech bikes can be worse.

Not to meantion, they give up so much on the braking and suspension technology. So that in bad corner ing situations that a top end I4 600 could handle because of their race breed heritage and relatively tweeked brakes and suspension. The little low dollar "beginner bikes" end up being really unforgiving of rookie mistakes like jabbing the brake or a rapid line change and now your in the weeds or guardrail.

Am I wrong?

Amber Lamps
07-03-2008, 11:59 AM

Maybe the worst beginners bike is one that is too tame and instills a pre-mature sense of confidence! Such as the before mentioned 65Hp SV650 or any small hp twin (Monster, EX500, GS500). I have seen plenty of people get really F~ed up on those little bikes in Europe just as fast as the big bikes. And if you get yourself into a bad "Damn I really wish I had another 20hp to make this pass before the bus coming the other way makes me a greasy spot" situations the low HP, low tech bikes can be worse.

Not to meantion, they give up so much on the braking and suspension technology. So that in bad corner ing situations that a top end I4 600 could handle because of their race breed heritage and relatively tweeked brakes and suspension. The little low dollar "beginner bikes" end up being really unforgiving of rookie mistakes like jabbing the brake or a rapid line change and now your in the weeds or guardrail.

Am I wrong?

I tried the brakes/suspension argument on the old forum.... good luck buddy! Oh and to start it off,a SV650 still makes enough power to make a pass quicker than any typical passenger car. You can get yourself in a passing situation that having a jet pack won't get you out of if you try hard enough.

Shift
07-03-2008, 12:13 PM

Am I wrong?

Yes, you are. If your having trouble passing a car with one of the above mentioned bikes you are doing either two things. 1) Speeding above the posted speed limit, because the highest rural road is only 65mph and I KNOW any of those bikes can sling you by a car in a second or two because my little old 250 could jump 65-80 pretty quick. or 2) Driving like an ass and trying to make a pass when you really should just wait a few seconds, wait for the apposing car to go by, the proceed to pass the car in front of you. And as for the suspension line, gotta raise the bs flag. Sure they can't compare to the race replicas, but their not as bad as you think. And that throttle and front brake is a lot damn more forgiving

pickle.of.doom
07-03-2008, 12:50 PM
That they are...I think stock the damn thing only outs out 65hp

My bike only puts out @ 30hp and I'll absolutely SMOKE ya through the twisties :D

DLIT
07-03-2008, 03:44 PM
My bike only puts out @ 30hp and I'll absolutely SMOKE ya through the twisties :D

Which one?

pickle.of.doom
07-03-2008, 11:34 PM
The SuMo :D

Dnyce
07-04-2008, 12:44 AM
My vote is the B-King. Be damn careful on that throttle, or you're DONE. 1/8-1/2 turn is insane. WOT is afterburner on the SR-71. Brakes are just as good.

aka the naked busa?
just curious-
why the b-king over the busa?

Phenix_Rider
07-04-2008, 09:10 AM
aka the naked busa?
just curious-
why the b-king over the busa?

I've never ridden the Busa- Haven't found anyone willing to let me on one :whistle: But the B-King is lighter...or not...just looked at their site and the B-K is 15 kilos heavier. Tell me how that makes sense? And the B-K has a 45 mm longer wheelbase...hmmm. Nevermind... The bus must be scary fun. Too bad they make hypersports so damn ugly.

PiZdETS
07-04-2008, 09:28 PM
I've never ridden the Busa- Haven't found anyone willing to let me on one :whistle: But the B-King is lighter...or not...just looked at their site and the B-K is 15 kilos heavier. Tell me how that makes sense? And the B-K has a 45 mm longer wheelbase...hmmm. Nevermind... The bus must be scary fun. Too bad they make hypersports so damn ugly.
And they dulled the engine quite a bit for the B-King like I knew they would.
I remember seeing the original concept unveiled a couple years ago at a big motorcycle show and the bike was supercharged making around 250 hp, (http://www.gizmag.com/go/1287/)that's why it's called the "B-King" which originally meant Boost King. As soon as I saw it I knew it would even never ever get built or be realeased with 30 horsepower less than a stock busa. Shame.

Cutty72
07-05-2008, 12:32 AM
thought they said that it was the same tune as the busa, just different exhaust so it lost a couple hp. :idk:

Phenix_Rider
07-05-2008, 10:35 PM
thought they said that it was the same tune as the busa, just different exhaust so it lost a couple hp. :idk:

Dunno- still way too much for a beginner. :lol: Probably too much for me, but damn, love that torque :drool: Wish they'd quit with the fugly exhausts though.

Gunther1000
07-12-2008, 10:58 PM
Well, not to say I was a newbie but I started out on a 2001 Gsx-R 1000 off the showroom floor and trailered it to a parking lot where I was riding on one tire in 10 mins of launch... Had 3 1000's so far and no major injury (knock on my wood). I did have a long history of thrashing dirt bikes but still a nice bike to learn on the street in my opinion. I think its all up to just how in tuned you are with your suroundings and ability to adapt to change, IE old blue hair pulling out in frount of you.

I really hate it when I see so many people bitch about a young person getting a bike they have dreamed about for years.

Its all up how much info your brain can compute in a short amount of time and space...

Hate hate hate...

P.S. im currently building a 350 twin 2-stroke 125 chassis street bike that should be death for most 1000's in the curves...

DLIT
07-12-2008, 11:39 PM
(knock on my wood)

:lol: