PDA

View Full Version : Gm owned !!

Homeslice
03-09-2011, 12:59 PM
Quite a lot of GM's on this list. What say you, 101? redflip

TommyHotWheel
03-09-2011, 06:38 PM
That list is very broad for the years listed. But if you think about the volume of vehicles made during that time period, its not that bad. I do agree that most of those vehicles were complete and utter shitboxes.

Amber Lamps
03-09-2011, 06:41 PM
One thing I'll say is that there really is only a couple GM models being represented here. The Colorado, Canyon, and H3 are all on the same chassis. You'll notice that it's the 4WD models that are the problem.:idk: Plus several other multiple models are in fact the same vehicle.

101lifts2
03-10-2011, 01:48 AM
Quite a lot of GM's on this list. What say you, 101? redflip

I say most of those models are history. Look to the future slice!redflip

Al is correct...many of those are on the same chassis.

I'm surprised about the Impala...

Cutty72
03-10-2011, 10:06 PM

If you notice, it's the V8 model, so the old body style, back when it was a full size car.

pauldun170
03-10-2011, 10:21 PM
If you notice, it's the V8 model, so the old body style, back when it was a full size car.

No...you could get the 5.3 in the Impala up to last year

Cutty72
03-10-2011, 10:29 PM
No...you could get the 5.3 in the Impala up to last year

huh, didn't know that.

pauldun170
03-10-2011, 10:38 PM
huh, didn't know that.

Some reviews

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2007/01/impala-ss/
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2008/06/20/090553.html

101lifts2
03-11-2011, 12:02 AM
When I was car shopping I test drove a CTS, STS, Impala SS, Grand Prix GTP and a Buick. I ended up buying the 08 Caddy STS, but the Impala was hella fast for a big car.

pauldun170
03-11-2011, 09:50 AM
When I was car shopping I test drove a CTS, STS, Impala SS, Grand Prix GTP and a Buick. I ended up buying the 08 Caddy STS, but the Impala was hella fast for a big car.

You and I have different taste in cars but i can definitely see an Impala SS as an entertaining car.

Gas Man
03-11-2011, 10:39 AM
Which impalas are we talking abt? The newer front drive ones are blah. The older mid 90's rear wheel drive are sweet.

pauldun170
03-11-2011, 10:57 AM
Which impalas are we talking abt? The newer front drive ones are blah. The older mid 90's rear wheel drive are sweet.

The newer front drive ones

101lifts2
03-11-2011, 11:17 AM
You and I have different taste in cars but i can definitely see an Impala SS as an entertaining car.

You don't know what taste in cars I have...unless you want to guess.

Gas Man
03-11-2011, 11:29 AM
I hvnt drove a frnt ss version. But the regular versions are. Blah

pauldun170
03-11-2011, 12:05 PM
You don't know what taste in cars I have...unless you want to guess.

come on man...

All these years of talking cars there have been plenty of examples where we've shown different preferences...

Homeslice
03-11-2011, 01:54 PM
An Impala with a V8? Didn't even know it existed, but no thank you. A V8 with FWD is just dumb.

pauldun170
03-11-2011, 02:04 PM
An Impala with a V8? Didn't even know it existed, but no thank you. A V8 with FWD is just dumb.

Depends on yer preference

Homeslice
03-11-2011, 02:12 PM
Erm yeah, that model really succeeded.

The only reason it's considered cool today is because it's rare.

Particle Man
03-11-2011, 02:31 PM

They're not bad to drive with the V8 and the management system that reduces it to 4 when cruising if you're into that sort of thing.

Homeslice
03-11-2011, 02:36 PM
Torque steer FTL. Even a simple V6-powered G6 has too much torque steer.

Particle Man
03-11-2011, 02:37 PM
Torque steer FTL. Even a V6-powered G6 has too much torque steer.

take a look at the demographic of folks buying those suckers new - I don't think they're worried about torque steer ;)

pauldun170
03-11-2011, 03:40 PM
Torque steer FTL. Even a simple V6-powered G6 has too much torque steer.

take a look at the demographic of folks buying those suckers new - I don't think they're worried about torque steer ;)

Considering how over boosted and numb steering racks are in certain GM vehicles, does it matter?

I think the draw on those (hi po shoved in fwd) is effortless power and point and shoot ability in conditions typical of that encountered by the car buying public.

Gas Man
03-11-2011, 03:47 PM
The old ones are cool. But I meant the mid 90's version of the SS
http://pics.hoobly.com/full/3EKVTY4LWOIDKU9J3Q.jpg

pauldun170
03-11-2011, 03:59 PM

Member of the extend family has one.
Those cars still have road presence but outside of looks and sound need a lot of work to keep up with Camry in the next lane.

At the very least, if you are going to dump money into a car, they are cool candidates.

Gas Man
03-11-2011, 06:36 PM
And there are plenty of those DONE up.

Particle Man
03-12-2011, 12:17 AM
Considering how over boosted and numb steering racks are in certain GM vehicles, does it matter?

I think the draw on those (hi po shoved in fwd) is effortless power and point and shoot ability in conditions typical of that encountered by the car buying public.And they end up being fleet cars anyhow.

Homeslice
03-12-2011, 09:03 AM

Considering how over-aggressive GM throttles typically are, for the first few millimeters of travel? Yeah I'd say so.

101lifts2
03-12-2011, 03:16 PM
Erm yeah, that model really succeeded.

The only reason it's considered cool today is because it's rare.

Sorry..but that car is badass...

come on man...

All these years of talking cars there have been plenty of examples where we've shown different preferences...

I tend to prefer older GM makes from the 70s, but gas is so fucking expensive here I can't see driving one.

101lifts2
03-12-2011, 03:18 PM

The one I test drive has nearly 0 torque steer from a dead stop and hauled all the way to 100 very quickly.

101lifts2
03-12-2011, 03:21 PM
Considering how over-aggressive GM throttles typically are, for the first few millimeters of travel? Yeah I'd say so.

It's in the torque converter. From my experience, the hydramatics tend to have a lower stall speed than the Jap counterparts. I'm not sure if it's a design issue with the Jap stuff tho.

Homeslice
03-12-2011, 04:00 PM
The G6 with the big engine yanks the wheel even when simply trying to pass on the highway. The result of inferior geometry of the driveaxles & tie rods.

101lifts2
03-12-2011, 04:08 PM
The G6 with the big engine yanks the wheel even when simply trying to pass on the highway. The result of inferior geometry of the driveaxles & tie rods.

That does not make any sense. The torque is a function of the force on the half shaft. And the torque steer occurs because only the lesser force of the two shafts results in the wheel that spins.

Most Japanese makes if you notice you have to rev the engine in order for the vehicle to move. This is a function of either a higher torque converter stall speed or a less efficient torque converter.

Homeslice
03-12-2011, 04:32 PM
How does it not make any sense? Torque steer is not caused by the torque converter...... You can have torque steer even with a manual transmission.

I'm no engineer, but from what I've read, torque steer needs to be engineered out by making good decisions with the length of the 2 driveaxles (equal vs. unequal), as well as the mounting location of the steering rack & associated hardware.

Gas Man
03-12-2011, 04:41 PM
And LSD transmissions....

I know I have one in my HHR SS. It will torque steer like a mad man... then the LSD kicks in and puts it back in line. But it makes it a handfull in gears 1-3. Pulls left hard, you compensate and it jerks right as it moves power to the other wheel.

Racerboy
03-12-2011, 06:17 PM
Depends on yer preference

That car is bad ass...My grandfather workd for Oldsmobile and had the #9 Toronado car off the assembly line in 1966 when they came out. I wanted them to give that to me so badly when I was could drive. I took my driving test and then went to the prom when they still had it.

Someday I will get another one.

101lifts2
03-12-2011, 10:26 PM
How does it not make any sense? Torque steer is not caused by the torque converter...... You can have torque steer even with a manual transmission.

I'm no engineer, but from what I've read, torque steer needs to be engineered out by making good decisions with the length of the 2 driveaxles (equal vs. unequal), as well as the mounting location of the steering rack & associated hardware.

You were talking about torque steer....then changing the subject to GM thottle response, which I said is more a function of the torque converter. Never said anything about the torque converter and torque steer. Reading comprehension. redflip.

But...if the torque converter stall is low like in GM makes I would believe that the torque steer would be more prevalent off the line vs a Jap car which would move the vehicle slower. But of course the half shaft lengths and trans to CV joint angle makes the difference.

Apoc
05-10-2011, 01:04 PM

Word. I own one, and its been completely reliable, never a bit of maintenance aside from regular stuff (brakes, rotors, and one ball joint). My dad owned one which had 300k KM when he sold it and bought his truck, and it too was completely reliable, and only needed a little bit of work near the very end of its life. My mom is buying mine from me (taking over the payments, I was planning on keeping it after getting the truck because its so good on gas, but she wanted it.). My granfather also has one, has never had a problem with it. My uncle has an 08 Impala SS, and its been perfect so far, and he drives a shit ton.

I just dont see how anyone can say that the Impala is unreliable. They are a HUGE seller here in Canada, and I have never heard anything but good about them. As a matter of fact, the reason they sell so well up here is because they have a reputation for being a great, reliable car. Me thinks this list is shit.

That said, they are horribly boring cars, for sure.

tommymac
05-10-2011, 01:20 PM
Word. I own one, and its been completely reliable, never a bit of maintenance aside from regular stuff (brakes, rotors, and one ball joint). My dad owned one which had 300k KM when he sold it and bought his truck, and it too was completely reliable, and only needed a little bit of work near the very end of its life. My mom is buying mine from me (taking over the payments, I was planning on keeping it after getting the truck because its so good on gas, but she wanted it.). My granfather also has one, has never had a problem with it. My uncle has an 08 Impala SS, and its been perfect so far, and he drives a shit ton.

I just dont see how anyone can say that the Impala is unreliable. They are a HUGE seller here in Canada, and I have never heard anything but good about them. As a matter of fact, the reason they sell so well up here is because they have a reputation for being a great, reliable car. Me thinks this list is shit.

That said, they are horribly boring cars, for sure.

See a lot of impalas as taxis and cop cars too so they have to have some sort of solid reliability to take the punishment in those fields.

derf
05-10-2011, 01:35 PM
See a lot of impalas as taxis and cop cars too so they have to have some sort of solid reliability to take the punishment in those fields.

Not really, nyc has been bitching that their cop impalas are crap. The taxi commission buys taxis in bulk by contract, I think they only bought for a year or two and switched to something else

tommymac
05-10-2011, 01:38 PM
Not really, nyc has been bitching that their cop impalas are crap. The taxi commission buys taxis in bulk by contract, I think they only bought for a year or two and switched to something else

Still see alot of them out here in nassau, but the countys so screwed up right now they prolly cant afford newer cars, I dont think they even have the chargers yet.

NYPD has a bunch of different cars now, I think they even have soem toyotas

derf
05-10-2011, 02:35 PM
Toyotas, crown vics are sorta still being produced, impalas, chargers, magnums, the 4 door chevy smaller than the impala, and I think the honda accord

Tmall
05-10-2011, 02:47 PM

I met this guy on vacation in the Dominican Republic. He wanted to buy a Vette, his wife didn't want him to. Said, "Spend money on the Impala instead"..

http://www.ron.verbaas.com/

Homeslice
05-10-2011, 03:34 PM

Cops usually prefer RWD cars, so when someone stuck them with a FWD fleet contract they probably got pissed.