PDA

View Full Version : Very surprised at how different a sportbike is than a standard

Kaneman
03-14-2011, 11:37 AM
I've owned a bunch of different bikes, the fastest being an FZ1. Also had a ZRX1200, Bandit1200S and even an old 1993 ZX6D....but the CBR F4i I picked up (for $1,600 bitches!! :lol:) rides so much differently than anything I've owned it really took me by surprise.

First of all, I fucking love to ride it. I feel much more connected to the bike than others I've had. If you sneeze the bike responds. When you want to corner you just think about it and put a little weight on the inside butt cheek and it just turns right in. Full-lock slow speed turns are very easy. The responsiveness is amazing.

Speed-wise I'm not sure how it compares in a straight line to my old FZ1, but it 'feels' faster. In fact, it feels so fast that I haven't even really got to open her up yet...I can't even imagine what you psychos riding ZX10s and GSXR1000s feel when you crack the throttle open.

I'm sold. Sportbikes for life.

Particle Man
03-14-2011, 11:39 AM
My best friend since Jr. High had and F4i as a first bike (blah, blah, start small, etc etc)

I rode it a few times and it was a very fun ride for sure.

Kaneman
03-14-2011, 11:41 AM
My best friend since Jr. High had and F4i as a first bike (blah, blah, start small, etc etc)

I rode it a few times and it was a very fun ride for sure.

The kid I bought this one from had it as a first bike too. Very common I think. After riding it I'm amazed that anyone could learn to ride a motorcycle on this bike and survive it, so mad props to anyone that started on a 600SS and lived to tell the tale. :lol:

Particle Man
03-14-2011, 11:43 AM
The kid I bought this one from had it as a first bike too. Very common I think. After riding it I'm amazed that anyone could learn to ride a motorcycle on this bike and survive it, so mad props to anyone that started on a 600SS and lived to tell the tale. :lol:

I, uh, may or may not have wound it out in the first few gears for it's first time ever and, uh, may or may not have brought the front wheel off the ground a few times...

Trip
03-14-2011, 11:44 AM
You should try a new generation 600 or even better a motard. Flickability is just something a big fat pig bike can't replicate.

Homeslice
03-14-2011, 11:45 AM
Faster than an FZ1? Not even close...

The bent-forward position makes you think it's faster

the chi
03-14-2011, 11:46 AM
:rofl: Glad you like it. Alot of folks down in FL where I was at started on those, said they were great for beginner riders but I thought the same thing. Then again, alot of them didnt make it as riders long...they all graduated to "big boy" bikes like busas, and proceeded to crash and quit riding. Or got arrested for being dumb. :lol:

G-Rex
03-14-2011, 11:53 AM
I can't even imagine what you psychos riding ZX10s and GSXR1000s feel when you crack the throttle open.

I'm sold. Sportbikes for life.

I'm the opposite. The sportbikes in my collection are the Hayabusa and the TLR. I probably will not buy another sportbike ever again. I'm not selling them, I just won't be buying more like them. I love the BMW I recently picked up, and that bike will make me happy for years to come. The KLR is a means to an end. Not sure what will happen to it when I come back from Prudhoe Bay later this year. I guess how it treats me on the trip will determind that.

I tell ya what though, cracking the throttle open and running full tilt through the first 5 gears on a Busa is a spiritual experience. I shut it down just as I shifted into 6th, as the crosswind at 170mph was beginning to get a bit rough.

Particle Man
03-14-2011, 11:59 AM
I tell ya what though, cracking the throttle open and running full tilt through the first 5 gears on a Busa is a spiritual experience. I shut it down just as I shifted into 6th, as the crosswind at 170mph was beginning to get a bit rough.

I'd hurt myself.

KSGregman
03-14-2011, 12:10 PM
...I probably will not buy another sportbike ever again. I'm not selling them, I just won't be buying more like them.

/offtopic

Same...

My riding tastes have changed over the years. I used to be all over the agility...and raw power of a sportbike. Now, I compromise....the M109-R has a more comfortable riding position...but has a ton of power and torque. It gives away agility...but still acquits itself well in the twisties. I honestly still am in love with the lines of that bike too.

That said, though...my mind has been daydreaming all winter of a new Kawasaki Concours 14.....in black, of course...and several motorcycle vacations this year. I figure big changes in life require big changes in riding preferences....and being out on the open road to parts unknown really REALLY appeals to me right now.

/ontopic

What did you have to do to get the ECU situation sorted with that bike? Buy a new harness altogether? Did it have a title too?

Kaneman
03-14-2011, 12:15 PM
/offtopic

Same...

My riding tastes have changed over the years. I used to be all over the agility...and raw power of a sportbike. Now, I compromise....the M109-R has a more comfortable riding position...but has a ton of power and torque. It gives away agility...but still acquits itself well in the twisties. I honestly still am in love with the lines of that bike too.

That said, though...my mind has been daydreaming all winter of a new Kawasaki Concours 14.....in black, of course...and several motorcycle vacations this year. I figure big changes in life require big changes in riding preferences....and being out on the open road to parts unknown really REALLY appeals to me right now.

/ontopic

What did you have to do to get the ECU situation sorted with that bike? Buy a new harness altogether? Did it have a title too?

My last bike was a '95 Magna, so this is a big change. The FZ1 started being very uncomfortable to me, and I've owned 4 bikes with very similar ergonomics. Hopefully I'll be comfy on the CBR...but the seat is a bitch.

I bought a used ECU from a local motorcycle salvage place for $200. Popped it in, turned the key and still the fuel pump didn't run. I bypassed the tip (bank) sensor by connecting some wires and she fired right up. Runs like a champ now.

Clear title, in hand, not salvaged...almost too good to be true.

KSGregman
03-14-2011, 12:19 PM
My last bike was a '95 Magna, so this is a big change. The FZ1 started being very uncomfortable to me, and I've owned 4 bikes with very similar ergonomics. Hopefully I'll be comfy on the CBR...but the seat is a bitch.

I bought a used ECU from a local motorcycle salvage place for $200. Popped it in, turned the key and still the fuel pump didn't run. I bypassed the tip (bank) sensor by connecting some wires and she fired right up. Runs like a champ now.

So you're hooked up for $1,800 or so.....strong work! :rockwoot:

Kaneman
03-14-2011, 12:24 PM
So you're hooked up for $1,800 or so.....strong work! :rockwoot:

I'm $2,100 into it after replacing the tires and ECM, changing the oil, coolant and brake pads, and putting some new grips on. I still need to order a fairing bolt kit ($50 from Lockhart Phillips).

But yea, she's completely road worthy for around half the price of other comparable bikes.

CasterTroy
03-14-2011, 12:35 PM
The sportbikes in my collection are the Hayabusa and the TLR.

To be fair..those aren't even in the same category as a supersport bike. And having owned both of those I can say with authority, NEITHER are anything CLOSE to the performance of a supersport 600.

My BIL owned an F4i while I had my TLR, and we rode them at the track...that's him in the background while I chased down a duck

http://www.troybaker.com/tlr/caster2.jpg

The F4i "FELT" 200 pounds lighter than the TLR. Was slimmer and had a MUCH better feel on the track.

On the ROAD the TLR and busa rode better because of their weight, but that 600 was a KNIFE on the track. Even after spending all the money I DID on my TLR, I had to work 3 times as hard to get that TLR around the track at the same pace I could that F4i
And having owned an R1 & GSXR 750 I now realize what a totally different world a TRUE sportbike is.
And like Trip said…..the same surprise overwhelmed me when I rode a TRUE supermoto bike!

OH...BTW...GREAT buy man!

pauldun170
03-14-2011, 12:49 PM
Congrats on getting a good deal (tip over sensor FTW!!! :lol:)

Reminds me of moving to the CBR from the ZX-11.

I cant think of a negative thing to say about any Honda CBR600. 80's up until today.
Maybe the CCT but thats about it.

Kaneman
03-14-2011, 12:52 PM
What's a CCT and what's wrong with it in regard to the CBR?

Particle Man
03-14-2011, 12:54 PM

Cam Chain Tensioner.

G-Rex
03-14-2011, 12:54 PM
CCT = Cam Chain Tensioner.

Honda has a history of poor tensioners. Lots of people go to manual tensioners, but they require more than just *put it on and go* like the stocker.

shmike
03-14-2011, 12:55 PM

CCT= Cam Chain Tensioner.

Certain year CBR's were prone to failure. Installing a manual tensioner fixed the problem.

I don't remember which years were affected but a quick Google search should tell you.

Edit: Fuck you guys are fast.

Mental note: Two lines or less from now on. :lol:

Dave
03-14-2011, 12:56 PM

Cam chain tensioner. They suck on hondas, you can get a fixed one pretty cheap that cuts down on the top end rattle.

And litres aren't all that different. The power is just more abundant and shows up earlier.

KSGregman
03-14-2011, 12:57 PM
I've read accounts of Japanese Zero pilots who claimed that their planes felt like extensions of their bodies....that they and the plane became one in dog fights....and I felt that way on my GSX-R750....not all the time as a lot of the performance curve of the machine was above my skill/confidence level...but when it was "right", it felt like zen....not riding anymore....but almost like flying...at one and in rhythm with the bike.

Kaneman
03-14-2011, 01:00 PM
Its like you guys were just sitting, salivating over this thread, waiting for me to ask what a CCT was. :lol:

I can not detect any rattle whatsoever from the motor. I had a loose cam chain in my ZX6D so I'm familiar with that sound.

CasterTroy
03-14-2011, 01:02 PM
Its like you guys were just sitting, salivating over this thread, waiting for me to ask what a CCT was. :lol:

:lol

A lot like when someone buys a BMW and then asks what's the deal with the final drive failure :lol:

pauldun170
03-14-2011, 01:30 PM
:lol

A lot like when someone buys a BMW and then asks what's the deal with the final drive failure :lol:

:lol:

Memories of forums past

On ZX-11 board -
New guy on forum: "Hey guys, just bought a ZX-11. whats the deal with the 3rd rod?"

On any fireblade board -
New guy on forum: "Hey guys, so whats the deal with charging problems..."
OTHER New guy on forum: "Hey guys, so whats the deal with oil consumption on these bikes...I'm burning a qt every 20 miles"

On any older Kawi board -
New guy on forum: "Is the top end supposed to be this loud?"

CasterTroy
03-14-2011, 01:33 PM
Doncha LOVE that shit?

Seems like no matter HOW much I research something beforehand, the "known issues" never seem to come to light (for me) until I've bought the damn thing :skep:

Particle Man
03-14-2011, 01:36 PM
:lol: I kept it under a line and got in first :lmao:

jtemple
03-14-2011, 03:41 PM
I loved my sportbikes when I had them. But, honestly, I just got bored. The roads out here suck (mostly straight). I can only take so much "go fast in a straight line" until I get sick of it. I'm happier on my DS.

Particle Man
03-14-2011, 03:49 PM
I loved my sportbikes when I had them. But, honestly, I just got bored. The roads out here suck (mostly straight). I can only take so much "go fast in a straight line" until I get sick of it. I'm happier on my DS.

That's okay, I'm keeping your boots nice and broken in :lol:

goof2
03-14-2011, 04:24 PM
To be fair..those aren't even in the same category as a supersport bike. And having owned both of those I can say with authority, NEITHER are anything CLOSE to the performance of a supersport 600.

My BIL owned an F4i while I had my TLR, and we rode them at the track...that's him in the background while I chased down a duck

The F4i "FELT" 200 pounds lighter than the TLR. Was slimmer and had a MUCH better feel on the track.

On the ROAD the TLR and busa rode better because of their weight, but that 600 was a KNIFE on the track. Even after spending all the money I DID on my TLR, I had to work 3 times as hard to get that TLR around the track at the same pace I could that F4i
And having owned an R1 & GSXR 750 I now realize what a totally different world a TRUE sportbike is.
And like Trip said…..the same surprise overwhelmed me when I rode a TRUE supermoto bike!

Didn't Tracy used to have that Duc 748 he rebuilt too though? That may have given him a somewhat similar experience to a 600.

CasterTroy
03-14-2011, 04:38 PM
Didn't Tracy used to have that Duc 748 he rebuilt too though? That may have given him a somewhat similar experience to a 600.

Yes he did.

And they're a whole different animal to try and tame :lol:

Dave
03-14-2011, 06:12 PM

Memories of forums past

On ZX-11 board -
New guy on forum: "Hey guys, just bought a ZX-11. whats the deal with the 3rd rod?"

On any fireblade board -
New guy on forum: "Hey guys, so whats the deal with charging problems..."
OTHER New guy on forum: "Hey guys, so whats the deal with oil consumption on these bikes...I'm burning a qt every 20 miles"

On any older Kawi board -
New guy on forum: "Is the top end supposed to be this loud?"

Don't forget the fuel pumps on carbed hondas and the shitstorm of dumbass that always spawns

Sixxxxer
03-14-2011, 07:35 PM

I started on a ZX7R :wtfru:

Then "Downgraded" to a ZX6R

I dig the Cruiser stuff but If i ever got one it'd totally be a V rod...and Trips Beemer was def nice...although HUGE compared to my bike but I def could see myself on one. Gas's HD was a goddamn Cadillac on two wheels. And Ebb's DRZ was loud as fuck but def looked like a blast to ride...altho not for anything longer than a few Hundred miles.

derf
03-14-2011, 09:30 PM
I started on a ZX7R :wtfru:

Then "Downgraded" to a ZX6R

I dunno, I really like the zx7r, much more than the zx6r. Not that the 600 isnt a better bike, it's superior in almost every way, but when I was last shopping for a sport bike I did a bunch of camparison shopping, and rode a few bikes, and really fell in love with the 750.I really thought the 7r would have been a better bike for me it just had personality. Then I wound up on a honda, the bike equivalent of rainmans personality

Porkchop
03-14-2011, 10:47 PM
When I switched from my R6 to the VF it was like night and day. Just the suspension technology and thin tires alone. While the vf has a sporty feel, the flickability just isnt there.

Im really feinding to get on this SV. I know the power output is almost no different, but a better suspension and big tires would be amazing....

101lifts2
03-14-2011, 10:58 PM

Now it's an 1800 dollar bike . redflip

Homeslice
03-15-2011, 12:19 AM
I prefer the forward riding position........The wind props you up. So you're not slouching like so many guys do on standards & cruisers. Especially the retards with ape-hanger customs. From a side view it's like their body is curved in a "C" shape, because both their arms and their legs have to reach far forward. Looks like all their weight is on their tailbone. Retarded.

A sport riding position takes the impact forces off your back & tailbone, and onto your abs & thighs where it belongs.

101lifts2
03-15-2011, 01:27 AM
I dunno, I really like the zx7r, much more than the zx6r. Not that the 600 isnt a better bike, it's superior in almost every way, but when I was last shopping for a sport bike I did a bunch of camparison shopping, and rode a few bikes, and really fell in love with the 750.I really thought the 7r would have been a better bike for me it just had personality. Then I wound up on a honda, the bike equivalent of rainmans personality

I had 2 ZX7Rs....the riding feel is just hard to describe....it just feels good.

03-15-2011, 03:32 AM
I've owned a bunch of different bikes, the fastest being an FZ1. Also had a ZRX1200, Bandit1200S and even an old 1993 ZX6D....but the CBR F4i I picked up (for $1,600 bitches!! :lol:) rides so much differently than anything I've owned it really took me by surprise.

4 pages in, and no one else has said it...odd.

What bike? I see no bike.

No pic, no bike.

Dave
03-15-2011, 04:00 AM

No pic, no bike.

pics were in the other thread

jtemple
03-15-2011, 08:44 AM
That's okay, I'm keeping your boots nice and broken in :lol:Haha, good! You should see the cheap shits I replaced them with:

http://images.motorcycle-superstore.com/ProductImages/300/2010-Fly-Racing-Kinetic-MX-Boot-Black.jpg

One of these days, I'll get some Sidis. But Sidi MX boots are $$$$

jtemple
03-15-2011, 08:48 AM
I prefer the forward riding position........The wind props you up. So you're not slouching like so many guys do on standards & cruisers. Especially the retards with ape-hanger customs. From a side view it's like their body is curved in a "C" shape, because both their arms and their legs have to reach far forward. Looks like all their weight is on their tailbone. Retarded.

A sport riding position takes the impact forces off your back & tailbone, and onto your abs & thighs where it belongs.I found the sportbike riding position to be very comfortable and controlled, as long as the pace was good. Tooling around town sucked, though.

azoomm
03-15-2011, 09:13 AM
Josh, come on down here with it sometime. :wink:

goof2
03-15-2011, 10:36 AM

No pic, no bike.

http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=18533

tommymac
03-15-2011, 10:53 AM

I hope you passed that ducati :lol:

CasterTroy
03-15-2011, 10:58 AM
I hope you passed that ducati :lol:

After he motioned me by (control rider I was getting a lift from) :rockwoot:

He also had an MV agusta in his diamond plate trailer pulled by a range rover softop african special.

That guy was loaded!

He dropped the MV in the first turn on the first lap of the first session (CMP is REAL bad for that) and cracked the cover spilling oil everywhere :tremble:

z06boy
03-15-2011, 11:05 AM
After he motioned me by (control rider I was getting a lift from) :rockwoot:

He also had an MV agusta in his diamond plate trailer pulled by a range rover softop african special.

That guy was loaded!

He dropped the MV in the first turn on the first lap of the first session (CMP is REAL bad for that) and cracked the cover spilling oil everywhere :tremble:

Well I was going to say "hate him" out of sheer jealousy :lol: until I read the last part...ouch !!

To the OP...nice pick up...especially for that little bit of coin. :rockwoot:

I had an F3 and an F4 but not the "i" version.

CasterTroy
03-15-2011, 11:12 AM
Well I was going to say "hate him" out of sheer jealousy

Yeah if memory serves, that was either a 998S or a 998R

It had Carbon fiber fairings

Kaneman
03-15-2011, 11:58 AM

No pic, no bike.

My bad, my bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSQ62EwLL1I

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g8/PsychoMedic/DSC_3753.jpg

Archren
03-15-2011, 04:00 PM
This thread makes me miss my little CBR. So did riding Sean's 675.. those bikes handle like they're on rails.

But I do like the option of triple digits in third gear... :D

Particle Man
03-15-2011, 04:17 PM
This thread makes me miss my little CBR. So did riding Sean's 675.. those bikes handle like they're on rails.

But I do like the option of triple digits in third gear... :D

What? I couldn't hear you over your clutch...

:nee:

pauldun170
03-15-2011, 04:31 PM

Archren
03-15-2011, 04:31 PM

If I wanted any shit from you I would have squeezed your head. redflip

KSGregman
03-15-2011, 04:36 PM
If I wanted any shit from you I would have squeezed your head. redflip

From the top of a ladder maybe. :lmao:

You're only getting teased because you mentioned your hot ass bike without sharing any pics of it....again. :lol

Particle Man
03-15-2011, 04:44 PM
*rattle, rattle, rattle*

Eh? :nee:

You're only getting teased because you mentioned your hot ass bike without sharing any pics of it....again. :lol

pretty much :lol:

Archren
03-15-2011, 04:56 PM

Eh? :nee:

pretty much :lol:

Fuckers, both of yas. :nee: I'd have recent pics, but my photography 101 prof specifically said we can't take pics of our vehicles for this class. Retarded, I know, but I want to keep my A+. Next quarter I have a lighting class... wonder if the Art Institute will let me wheel the bike into the studio. :D

Particle Man
03-15-2011, 05:03 PM
Fuckers, both of yas. :nee: I'd have recent pics, but my photography 101 prof specifically said we can't take pics of our vehicles for this class. Retarded, I know, but I want to keep my A+. Next quarter I have a lighting class... wonder if the Art Institute will let me wheel the bike into the studio. :D

If they complain, tell 'em it's a Ducati, not a Harley. It won't leak.

Sorry, Josh. You can have your thread back now :lol:

tommymac
03-15-2011, 05:08 PM
If they complain, tell 'em it's a Ducati, not a Harley. It won't leak.

Sorry, Josh. You can have your thread back now :lol:

gotta love that :lol:

Kaneman
03-15-2011, 05:56 PM
Anybody know where the idle adjustment is on this thing? I'm idling around 2k. Plenty of info on how to modify it, but I'm having trouble finding info on where exactly it is. A post on SBN says by the transmission on the clutch side...but I'm not seeing it.

Homeslice
03-15-2011, 06:06 PM
On most sportbikes it's a screw or white knob sticking out under the fuel tank

Particle Man
03-15-2011, 06:36 PM
Anybody know where the idle adjustment is on this thing? I'm idling around 2k. Plenty of info on how to modify it, but I'm having trouble finding info on where exactly it is. A post on SBN says by the transmission on the clutch side...but I'm not seeing it.
Black knob, left side. kinda sticks out away from the motor (kinda on a stalk).

Porkchop
03-15-2011, 06:50 PM

I was about to say a bit earlier that the idle sounded a bit high in the video.

I had an F3 and an F4 but not the "i" version.

How did you like the 4? There is a freaking spotless F4 sitting right next to the SV I want to buy at the dealers.

Fucking awesome. I just spit up water all over my couch I was laughing so hard.

pauldun170
03-15-2011, 07:03 PM
unless it broke off

Kaneman
03-15-2011, 07:15 PM
unless it broke off

I'm thinking it must have, because I can't find any knobs. It's been down on that side, so very possible...

It was pretty chilly last night, maybe that's why it was idling high? I just fired it up and let it run for a few minutes, idle was a steady 1,500. Hmmm....

the chi
03-15-2011, 07:55 PM
And its a honda...IIRC my honda always was a higher idler than any other bikes I've had...and the one sitting in the garage idles higher than the suzi sitting next to her. I always noticed the Honda heated my ass up alot faster than anything else I've ridden too. All personal experience of course, not technical facts...

Particle Man
03-15-2011, 08:36 PM
I'm thinking it must have, because I can't find any knobs. It's been down on that side, so very possible...

It was pretty chilly last night, maybe that's why it was idling high? I just fired it up and let it run for a few minutes, idle was a steady 1,500. Hmmm....

Here you go:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/9625/img3134dv1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://cbrforum.com/forum/showthread.php%3Fp%3D850002&usg=__MOckvUG-ETZYrU6mRktzhDpQ4J8=&h=480&w=640&sz=151&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=7qbo6Lkx4kVcOM:&tbnh=140&tbnw=192&ei=4wWATZ_rKcKjtgfO8ZnkCA&prev=/images%3Fq%3DCBR600F4i%2BIdle%2Badjustment%2Bknob% 26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1201%26bih%3D567%26tbs% 3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=337&vpy=230&dur=2037&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=63&ty=219&oei=5ASATb2bBemV0QHJpaXzCA&page=1&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:7,s:0

Hydrant
03-15-2011, 09:59 PM
Kaneman, I think I have the dealers service manual on CD around the house somewhere. If you want it just shoot me a PM

Its for my 02 F4i, but to my best knowledge there is no difference other than paint schemes.

Hydrant
03-15-2011, 10:02 PM
I don't recall seeing an idle adjustment on the 02. It's been a while since I've messed around with it.

Kaneman
03-15-2011, 10:05 PM
Here you go:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/9625/img3134dv1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://cbrforum.com/forum/showthread.php%3Fp%3D850002&usg=__MOckvUG-ETZYrU6mRktzhDpQ4J8=&h=480&w=640&sz=151&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=7qbo6Lkx4kVcOM:&tbnh=140&tbnw=192&ei=4wWATZ_rKcKjtgfO8ZnkCA&prev=/images%3Fq%3DCBR600F4i%2BIdle%2Badjustment%2Bknob% 26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1201%26bih%3D567%26tbs% 3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=337&vpy=230&dur=2037&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=63&ty=219&oei=5ASATb2bBemV0QHJpaXzCA&page=1&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:7,s:0

Yea, my bike doesn't have that. :lol:

Particle Man
03-15-2011, 10:17 PM
Yea, my bike doesn't have that. :lol:

it's defective. Ship it to me for proper, um, disposal. :D

Homeslice
03-16-2011, 02:39 AM
I would leave the idle a little on the high side...........makes it a little less jerky when you let off the gas

G-Rex
03-16-2011, 06:23 AM
I would leave the idle a little on the high side...........makes it a little less jerky when you let off the gas

If you don't know how to operate the clutch/throttle together maybe. If you do, then it should be a non-issue.

Particle Man
03-16-2011, 07:01 AM
If you don't know how to operate the clutch/throttle together maybe. If you do, then it should be a non-issue.
That's how a lot of the local squid-types ride at low speeds: they keep the idle turned up instead of learning throttle control.

OneSickPsycho
03-16-2011, 10:02 AM
That's how a lot of the local squid-types ride at low speeds: they keep the idle turned up instead of learning throttle control.

That's hilarious and something I would never even think about doing... Seems like some extra effort to do something the wrong way...

Particle Man
03-16-2011, 10:06 AM
That's hilarious and something I would never even think about doing... Seems like some extra effort to do something the wrong way...

They're busy revving the throttle to the red-line at lights to worry about low-speed maneuvering...

pauldun170
03-16-2011, 10:17 AM
Nothing like reving it up as you enter the gas station parking lot.

Got let people know you have arrived and you need gas.
loud pipes save lives
loud pipes helps pump gas
(They also help turn red lights to green...that is why you gotta constantly rev your engine at the stop light...especially fuel injected bikes)
...All info presented in this post is 100% FACT

Particle Man
03-16-2011, 10:20 AM
Nothing like reving it up as you enter the gas station parking lot.

Got let people know you have arrived and you need gas.
loud pipes save lives
loud pipes helps pump gas
(They also help turn red lights to green...that is why you gotta constantly rev your engine at the stop light...especially fuel injected bikes)
...All info presented in this post is 100% FACT

I was walking out of a meeting last week on 6th Ave on my way back to Penn and there was dude sitting at a light doing that - I made fun of him doing that but nobody with me got the jokes. Damn corporate world :lol:

Gas Man
03-16-2011, 10:30 AM
Revvin the motor came from carbs. But the trend stuck as a "habbit" or "the cool thing".

pauldun170
03-16-2011, 10:44 AM
Revvin the motor came from carbs. But the trend stuck as a "habbit" or "the cool thing".

No...I dont think so.
It came from doochebags.
Carbed bikes idle just fine.

Dave
03-16-2011, 10:46 AM
No...I dont think so.
It came from doochebags.

All of mine sure did

OneSickPsycho
03-16-2011, 10:49 AM
I do it because the sound of my bike gives me a boner... and who doesn't want a boner?

Dave
03-16-2011, 10:51 AM
I do it because the sound of my bike gives me a boner... and who doesn't want a boner?

Lesbians

OneSickPsycho
03-16-2011, 11:03 AM
Lesbians

Not true... they like ones of the rubber variety with safety belt and harness.

Homeslice
03-16-2011, 11:28 PM

Been riding almost 10 years, but thanks for your concern. When I say high idle I don't mean 2K, I mean maybe 200-300 more than stock. Whatever someone feels comfortable with. For example, if they don't like how their front end behaves when they get on & off the gas during spirited canyon/twisty riding, then by all means experiment with it. It is something I've heard from several riders better than me. Or perhaps their bike has an off-idle stumble, or perhaps they just prefer a smoother idle, as opposed to a lumpy one that feels like it is about to stall out. Personal preference -- it certainly isn't harming anything. And I have never heard of "squids" doing it. If someone is a squid they probably wouldn't even know that the idle COULD be adjusted.

Dave
03-16-2011, 11:40 PM
Been riding almost 10 years, but thanks for your concern. When I say high idle I don't mean 2K, I mean maybe 200-300 more than stock. Whatever someone feels comfortable with. If they don't like how their front end behaves when they get on & off the gas during spirited canyon/twisty riding, then by all means experiment with it. It is something plenty of riders better than me do. I have never heard of "squids" doing it. If someone is a squid they probably wouldn't even know that the idle COULD be adjusted.

tbh the only time ive ever fucked with it was when we were doing no throttle drag racing in the traffic jams at myrtle beach bike week.

oh, and the time i broke the throttle pull cable on the CM. cranked the idle up to 6 grand and slipped my way home :lol

Gas Man
03-17-2011, 08:33 AM
No...I dont think so.
It came from doochebags.
Perhaps... but how far back are you thinking...

Honestly I'm not sure why it started... I'm tossing ideas here.

I think perhaps OSP may indeed be right. I like the sound of many bikes... they do give me at least a 30% stiffy.

pauldun170
03-17-2011, 09:22 AM
Perhaps... but how far back are you thinking...

Honestly I'm not sure why it started... I'm tossing ideas here.

I think perhaps OSP may indeed be right. I like the sound of many bikes... they do give me at least a 30% stiffy.

Erections while riding are really uncomfortable.
If you happen to tuck in the wrong way prior to getting on the bike it can be downright painful.

I call BS on the boner claim.

Dave
03-17-2011, 09:25 AM
If you happen to tuck in the wrong way prior to getting on the bike it can be downright painful.

Heh 954's got a seat that's angled right to the tank, no sitting back on it. Makes me glad I've got a grower :lol

G-Rex
03-17-2011, 09:41 AM
Been riding almost 10 years, but thanks for your concern.

Easy there Skippy, I wasn't talk about you directly and I know you've been around the forums and riding as much as me. :P

I just meant in general. 200-300 rpm as you mention is a non-issue in my book. Sure, it's annoying and wastes fuel, but if if helps someone to get the hang of things, so be it. 2000 rpm is definitely dumb.

Trip
03-17-2011, 10:14 AM
All of mine sure did

He rides a harley, they don't do things like idle properly or run.

Kaneman
03-17-2011, 10:28 AM
Went through my first full tank....only got 36mpg.....hmmmm...

pauldun170
03-17-2011, 10:34 AM

I think that is on the low side but it does fall in the range for that bike.
I would expect it to average 40.

(Still cracks me up that my old fat ZX-11 would average 46-50mpg and all the modern lightweights are averaging in the 30's)

Dave
03-17-2011, 10:34 AM

They ought to. The 450 idled fine and all I did to put it running again from its 10 year nap in the mud hole I pulled it from was clean the fuck out of the stock carbs. I didn't even replace any of the 20+ year old boots or gaskets, just submerged them in oil for a few days.

G-Rex
03-17-2011, 10:37 AM
....The responsiveness is amazing....

....Speed-wise I'm not sure how it compares in a straight line to my old FZ1, but it 'feels' faster. In fact, it feels so fast that I haven't even really got to open her up yet....

There's your answer. LOL. I managed a tank at close to 58 mpg on my BMW, but every other tank has been 38-42. Flukes happen. *shrug*. Hopefully yours just went the opposite direction since it's new and you're no doubt beating up on it a little harder than you otherwise might.

Dave
03-17-2011, 10:41 AM

You can try running some seafoam through Her. Probably a ton of shit on the back of the valves from sitting

Kaneman
03-17-2011, 10:44 AM
You can try running some seafoam through Her. Probably a ton of shit on the back of the valves from sitting

So funny man, I just picked up a can for that very reason. :lol: Seems to be running very smoothly, but its worth it just to be safe.

Trip
03-17-2011, 10:50 AM
(Still cracks me up that my old fat ZX-11 would average 46-50mpg and all the modern lightweights are averaging in the 30's)

Doesn't really make me laugh considering how much power and revs they are getting out of them nowadays.

pauldun170
03-17-2011, 11:29 AM
Doesn't really make me laugh considering how much power and revs they are getting out of them nowadays.

Well...I am more easily amused than you.

Dave
03-17-2011, 11:34 AM
So funny man, I just picked up a can for that very reason. :lol: Seems to be running very smoothly, but its worth it just to be safe.

Nice :lol: I gotta get another can for mine.

Particle Man
03-17-2011, 04:03 PM

*cough*throttleflogging*cough*

Gas Man
03-18-2011, 08:33 AM

Nah... just shake it out...

Some truth to that... the ole pushrods require a bit of stroking from time to time.

Sixxxxer
03-21-2011, 12:04 PM

Thats about where I average...And I've ridden an entire tank Riding it like a Fairy Godmother and Ridden it Like a bat out of hell...the difference was not worth the Fairy Godmother mode...I was getting around 40 on my Trip with Tommy in 09'

I can Squeak Triple Digits out of 2nd but it's screaming at 16k RPM's doing so.

I like the red. Good luck with it!