PDA

View Full Version : AMA members select USA's BEST ROADS

Trip
03-18-2011, 05:28 PM
Stole this from ADV

countdown of the top 15 routes:

15. Washington Route 129 and Oregon Route 3, Clarkston, Wash., to Enterprise, Ore.

14. Ohio Route 170, Calcutta to Poland.

13. California Route 58, McKittrick to Santa Margarita.

12. U.S. Route 33, Harrisonburg, Va., to Seneca Rocks, W.Va.

11. Natchez Trace, from Natchez, Miss., to Nashville, Tenn.

10. Angeles Crest Highway, California Route 2.

9. U.S. Route 12, Lolo Pass, Idaho and Montana.

8. California Route 36.

7. Cherohala Skyway, North Carolina and Tennessee.

6. Going to the Sun Road, Glacier National Park, Montana.

5. California Route 1, Pacific Coast Highway.

4. U.S. Route 550, from Ouray to Durango, Colo.

3. U.S. Route 129 — The Tail of the Dragon — on the North Carolina-Tennessee border.

2. Blue Ridge Parkway, North Carolina.

1. Beartooth Highway, Montana and Wyoming.

Right now I got:
7. Cherohala Skyway, 3. U.S. Route 129, and 2. Blue Ridge Parkway

Need to go visit drewpy and get:
11. Natchez Trace

I will be adding these in June:
5. California Route 1, 4. U.S. Route 550, and 1. Beartooth Highway

Beartooth looks sick, but I bet it's a tourist nightmare.

Anybody else want to go to Cali in June?

derf
03-18-2011, 06:09 PM
I got:

12. U.S. Route 33, Harrisonburg, Va., to Seneca Rocks, W.Va.

10. Angeles Crest Highway, California Route 2.

7. Cherohala Skyway, North Carolina and Tennessee.

5. California Route 1, Pacific Coast Highway.

3. U.S. Route 129 — The Tail of the Dragon — on the North Carolina-Tennessee border.

2. Blue Ridge Parkway, North Carolina.

I can think of a few roads out there that are better than the ones listed not many, and the ones they selected seem to be the touristy popular roads. Really though a pretty good list. Most of the best roads really are the malibu canyon roads in Cali, Topanga, Piuma, Tuna canyon etc... Really the whole area is littered with great roads. Also bear mountain NY, a few of the roads surrounding the ski resorts in VT and the poconos.

Trip
03-18-2011, 06:25 PM
You need to do the rest of the BRP in NC. It was a ton better down the road from where you went and probably the section this article is referencing.

It's an AMA list, so you know they wanted the most touristy roads.

Cutty72
03-19-2011, 10:05 PM
Beartooth is awesome, but you will get stuck in traffic, and any but the mid summer months leaves a chance of ice and snow.

Sixxxxer
03-20-2011, 03:17 PM
I've ridden Two.

And I'd LOVE to ride Cali...I really wanna figure out how to get MY bike to Hawaii.

derf
03-20-2011, 04:03 PM
I've ridden Two.

And I'd LOVE to ride Cali...I really wanna figure out how to get MY bike to Hawaii.

http://www.jamescargo.com/motorcycle_transportation/

Yeh I would love to actually ride MY bike in california, But borrowing one also makes for a decent day

Sixxxxer
03-21-2011, 10:47 AM
Thats easy Derf....Just RIDE it to Cali.

OneSickPsycho
03-21-2011, 02:08 PM
Nothing in FL... go figure...:suicide:

Cutty72
03-22-2011, 12:14 AM
Nothing in FL... go figure...:suicide:

Or ND...

No Worries
03-30-2011, 01:09 AM
They must be afraid of Mormons too. In Utah, you can spend the night camping at Goblin Valley and swear you are on Mars. In the morning you can ride from Hanksville to Hurricane and go through three National Parks: Capital Reef, Bryce Canyon, and Zion.

Plus, you also go through part of the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument, and near Glen Canyon National Recreation Area. Almost 3 million acres of incredible geology. And that's not including going to Arches and Canyonlands National Parks. There's a one month trip, and two sets of tires and you haven't even left the state.

Cutty72
03-30-2011, 12:17 PM
They must be afraid of Mormons too. In Utah, you can spend the night camping at Goblin Valley and swear you are on Mars. In the morning you can ride from Hanksville to Hurricane and go through three National Parks: Capital Reef, Bryce Canyon, and Zion.

Plus, you also go through part of the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument, and near Glen Canyon National Recreation Area. Almost 3 million acres of incredible geology. And that's not including going to Arches and Canyonlands National Parks. There's a one month trip, and two sets of tires and you haven't even left the state.

Been through the Zion Nat'l Park. Some awesome roads and views there!
Roads got a little sketchy the further up you went though....