PDA

View Full Version : There's nothing better than taking a newbie out for a good ride

fnfalman
07-02-2008, 01:00 PM
We didn't scratch the pegs, didn't do burnouts, didn't pop wheelies, but it was still a nice long ride. My protege bought a Ninjette last year so that she can go riding with her boyfriend, but they ended up splitting up so she didn't ride and didn't want to sell the bike at great loss. So I told her to saddle up and get her trained. It's been six months or so since she last rode and pretty much forgotten everything she learned in the MSF course, so we started out with the friction zone and all that good jazz in the parking lot then we hit the road. She didn't want to go on the freeway at first, but at the end of the day she was doing fine cruising at 80+. Hell, we put on like 230-miles:rockwoot: It helped a lot that the beach weather was nice, cool and sunny.

I even took her to the twisties albeit let her ride at her own pace which is not much over the posted speed limits, but it gave her the opportunity to do some cornering (the old Slow-Look-Press-Roll method).

Sorry, no pics for the perverts.:panic:

Trip
07-02-2008, 01:02 PM
It's always a good day when you get another person addicted.

the chi
07-02-2008, 01:13 PM
Aww, thats oustanding, its nice to hear something that positive!! She's off to a good start!

neebelung
07-02-2008, 01:14 PM

Says the man who just asked for nekkid pics on MY ride thread. :nee:

Shift
07-02-2008, 01:14 PM
:withstupid: Always fun teaching a :newbie: how to ride.

ceo012384
07-02-2008, 03:45 PM
It's always a good day when you get another person addicted.

:iagree:... seeing them take their helmet off, the look on their face reminds me of the first time I rode.

That's why I want to instruct MSF eventually.

Shift
07-02-2008, 04:10 PM
:iagree:... seeing them take their helmet off, the look on their face reminds me of the first time I rode.

That's why I want to instruct MSF eventually.

:scared:
Those poor poor :newbie:S

Audiomechanic
07-02-2008, 05:25 PM
Nice, fnfalman! Did you at least take her home for some more riding?

fnfalman
07-02-2008, 06:26 PM
Nice, fnfalman! Did you at least take her home for some more riding?

She's my PROTEGE, and not a pin cushion. I value my salary too much to eat where I shit.

Phenix_Rider
07-02-2008, 07:00 PM
I even took her to the twisties albeit let her ride at her own pace which is not much over the posted speed limits, but it gave her the opportunity to do some cornering (the old Slow-Look-Press-Roll method).

Slow? :panic: Knew I was forgetting something! I think my riding style is more toward the "look-zoooommmm" side :whistle:

Good job lookin' out for the noobs man!

Audiomechanic
07-02-2008, 09:24 PM
She's my PROTEGE, and not a pin cushion. I value my salary too much to eat where I shit.

Good point. Just checkin. Just lookin out for the little guy...err....nevermind. :panic:

OneSickPsycho
07-02-2008, 11:39 PM
A couple weeks ago I was on a group ride with some noob chick with three weeks experience... It made me want to slit my wrists, jump on a treadmill, and set my nuts on fire... It's probably different when it's with someone you know and/or like.

itgirl
07-03-2008, 12:55 AM
We didn't scratch the pegs, didn't do burnouts, didn't pop wheelies, but it was still a nice long ride. My protege bought a Ninjette last year so that she can go riding with her boyfriend, but they ended up splitting up so she didn't ride and didn't want to sell the bike at great loss. So I told her to saddle up and get her trained. It's been six months or so since she last rode and pretty much forgotten everything she learned in the MSF course, so we started out with the friction zone and all that good jazz in the parking lot then we hit the road. She didn't want to go on the freeway at first, but at the end of the day she was doing fine cruising at 80+. Hell, we put on like 230-miles:rockwoot: It helped a lot that the beach weather was nice, cool and sunny.

awww. i bet you helped boost her confidence. it's awesome that you took her under your wing. :dthumb:

jalaan1
07-03-2008, 07:45 PM
fnfalman, yur a good man Charlie Brown.

A couple weeks ago I was on a group ride with some noob chick with three weeks experience... It made me want to slit my wrists, jump on a treadmill, and set my nuts on fire... It's probably different when it's with someone you know and/or like.

:dvrofl:talk about painting a picture.

FT BSTRD
07-06-2008, 11:45 PM
If we were lucky, we were all taken under someone's wing at first.

Way to pay it forward!

ceo012384
07-08-2008, 05:06 PM
If we were lucky, we were all taken under someone's wing at first.
It wasn't the case when I first started riding and was just dicking around on the streets, because I mostly rode alone (and still do on the streets)...

but the second I started going to the track, ever since then, I have met some of the nicest and coolest down-to-earth folks I've ever met. It's a pretty awesome community. Between track day riders, racers, and guys who own parts/service/paint/etc shops that deal mostly with racers... everyone is nice, everyone wants to help. I think that helped to fuel the addiction.