PDA

View Full Version : Cali Trip 2011

Trip
03-27-2011, 09:47 PM
I am really starting to go in high gear in preparing. I have purchased a ton of equipment and going to work overtime like crazy during my upcoming refueling outage this april to have it paid off before I even go. Going to try and work the maximum 72 hours a week we are allowed due to a silly fatigue rule we have in place now. Route is about 95% final. Still debating the portions from Vegas to San Fran. Trying decide between death valley (want to do it but everyone says its stupid, but all those people did it anyway too) and going through 375 to see where Area 51 is. Also how I am going to go from Yosemite to San Fran.

Planning on leaving May 26th or 27th. If anyone is bored and wants to tag along for any portion. Hit me up via PM.

Purchased:
Video Camera
P&S camera
portable hard drive
camping gear
spot tracker
Sena Headset
Rev It Tornado suit
new lid
alpinestar ds boots
dual USB car charger to power video camera and headset/phone
netbook
tires

To be purchased:
a few more underarmour gear
maybe on a heated vest

tommymac
03-27-2011, 09:53 PM
would love to but its a little out of the way for me.

derf
03-27-2011, 10:02 PM
I wear bicycle shorts for really long days in the saddle, makes for a much easier ride. They feel like you took a shit in our pants and are walking around in them, but when on the bike they feel great.

Trip
03-27-2011, 10:03 PM
I wear bicycle shorts for really long days in the saddle, makes for a much easier ride. They feel like you took a shit in our pants and are walking around in them, but when on the bike they feel great.

The Russell Day Long saddle is my easy ride.

Mr Lefty
03-27-2011, 10:10 PM
don't forget about the Devils Tower in the north east corner of Wyoming... near your flag...

if you want to save some $ there's a camp ground in the northern part of texas near your hotel stay.... can't remember the name but just search for state parks in TX.

don't push your day too long, trust me you'll regret it when the trip is over. I mean you'll enjoy the trip... but you'll enjoy the trip more if you're not rushed and you have a bit more time to take in the scenery.

Trip
03-27-2011, 10:16 PM
don't forget about the Devils Tower in the north east corner of Wyoming... near your flag...

if you want to save some $ there's a camp ground in the northern part of texas near your hotel stay.... can't remember the name but just search for state parks in TX.

don't push your day too long, trust me you'll regret it when the trip is over. I mean you'll enjoy the trip... but you'll enjoy the trip more if you're not rushed and you have a bit more time to take in the scenery.

Yeah I have a bunch of POI that aren't on that map that I will be stopping at. I am going to Alice's Restaurant and Apple in San Fran.

With how much overtime I am working for the outage, I plan on hotel stays almost every night after how much I found I hate camping. Money won't be an issue this trip thankfully. I am bringing my gear just in case I get curious. One month of being stuck at work to be able to enjoy the trip will be awesome. Sucks you can't go, I would offer you the same deal I gave drewpy.

Yeah, this last one is going to be the hardest. The route may adapt as I go. I told work two weeks, but I may length it if I need to slow up to see some things. I will just email in and say I got behind or had trouble.

Sixxxxer
03-27-2011, 10:29 PM
And I was just about to say...Trip camp?? Haha.

Take TONS of pictures...And enjoy it.

Doing it alone?

Trip
03-27-2011, 10:33 PM
And I was just about to say...Trip camp?? Haha.

Take TONS of pictures...And enjoy it.

Doing it alone?

Yeah, ask Derf how much I enjoyed camping on the BRP trip. I like camping up until you have to sleep. I just don't sleep well outside. If I could sleep, I would love camping.

I will be taking a ton of pics and video. I got lanyard to hold my camera around my neck, so I can shoot mid ride.

I am mounting my video camera to the bike and will be filming the whole trip.

Yep, doing it alone. Unless Drewpy mans up and decides to come.

G-Rex
03-27-2011, 10:35 PM
If you're comin' across northern Oklahoma during the weekend, I'll ride with ya out to Colorado. :D I won't be leavin' for Prudhoe Bay until July sometime.

I assume you'll stop at the Lil' Ale'inn in Rachel, Nevada when you make way up the Extraterrestrial Highway. Hopefully they have cleaned up the sign on the south end out of Vegas.

Also, when you get to Alice's, get the chocolate cream pie! Nom nom!

Mr Lefty
03-27-2011, 10:35 PM
you could always scale back the trip... like say skip death valley, or blast through Vegas... after all (with vegas) you can always Fly there, and not loose any of the WOW factor

derf
03-27-2011, 10:58 PM
Yeah, ask Derf how much I enjoyed camping on the BRP trip. I like camping up until you have to sleep. I just don't sleep well outside. If I could sleep, I would love camping.

Yeh, you were not meant to camp. You were scared of every sound, wind, acorns, that gigantic bear that was sitting outside your tent all night

http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/rha/lowres/rhan967l.jpg

Trip
03-27-2011, 10:58 PM
you could always scale back the trip... like say skip death valley, or blast through Vegas... after all (with vegas) you can always Fly there, and not loose any of the WOW factor

Andrea is going to Vegas for the week with her family. So we are meeting up there. Death valley really won't be the stop. Got to go through there to get to yosemite.

Trip
03-27-2011, 11:32 PM
If you're comin' across northern Oklahoma during the weekend, I'll ride with ya out to Colorado. :D I won't be leavin' for Prudhoe Bay until July sometime.

I assume you'll stop at the Lil' Ale'inn in Rachel, Nevada when you make way up the Extraterrestrial Highway. Hopefully they have cleaned up the sign on the south end out of Vegas.

Also, when you get to Alice's, get the chocolate cream pie! Nom nom!

I will either be coming across Oklahoma on friday or saturday. So if you want to tag along. We will have to arrange a meet up.

Yeh, you were not meant to camp. You were scared of every sound, wind, acorns, that gigantic bear that was sitting outside your tent all night

Two rough nights on that trip. The screaming people and kids the first night and the wind storm the next.

Captain Morgan
03-27-2011, 11:43 PM
Dude, I completely hate that I can't join you. There's just no way it will work for me. My ex is taking my daughter to florida for a week from june 18 to 25, which is the biggest factor. If I went on this trip, I'd be away from my little girl for a solid month. That simply isn't going to happen. Then there is the whole money issue. I can't earn OT at my job, so have to get a second job if I want to make extra money. I just started that second job about 4 days ago. Really, really wish I could join you. Have a safe ride.

Gas Man
03-27-2011, 11:48 PM
I wish I could join you... I'd do the miles that isn't the issue. I have the Rally in May, then Port Dover the following weekend. And to top all that, I have big changes in my job coming June 1st as the older guy at work (that I directly work with) is retiring.

derf
03-27-2011, 11:58 PM
Two rough nights on that trip. The screaming people and kids the first night and the wind storm the next.

You really gotta try it again where you arent trying to sleep in an open field with tons of other people, aka a camp ground. its much better to just set up off in the woods by yourself. No people to contend with, and no wind because its blocked by other forest

Captain Morgan
03-28-2011, 12:06 AM
You really gotta try it again where you arent trying to sleep in an open field with tons of other people, aka a camp ground. its much better to just set up off in the woods by yourself. No people to contend with, and no wind because its blocked by other forest

Agreed. I camped in a national forest up in Michigan. I had called several campgrounds and most were close to being booked. Found a national forest with about 4 other campers in the 2 dozen+ campsites. Granted, it's really roughing it, as there are no showers, bathrooms, etc., but it was great to just be alone!

Homeslice
03-28-2011, 12:16 AM
Nice. You going to hit Mammoth, Mono Lake, and Crater Lake?

Trip
03-28-2011, 12:18 AM
Nice. You going to hit Mammoth, Mono Lake, and Crater Lake?

yep, I go by all 3 of those.

derf
03-28-2011, 12:25 AM
Agreed. I camped in a national forest up in Michigan. I had called several campgrounds and most were close to being booked. Found a national forest with about 4 other campers in the 2 dozen+ campsites. Granted, it's really roughing it, as there are no showers, bathrooms, etc., but it was great to just be alone!

Thats the shit right there. I have nothing against making a pit stop in a truck stop for a quick shower.

dReWpY
03-28-2011, 12:33 AM
i should be able to do atleast part of that, how much depends on now and then :(

Trip
03-28-2011, 12:55 AM
i should be able to do atleast part of that, how much depends on now and then :(

Save save save. You know you want to do the whole thing.

dReWpY
03-28-2011, 01:13 AM
i do want to do the whole trip, but my prof bumped up my graduation date to December and that means i have to really bust ass to get out, rumor has it he is leaving and is trying to get his grad students out by December because he is looking to switch colleges and doesnt want to leave us with out a prof if he does leave, I had to take three weeks off of bar tending to get my studies inline to take my comps tomorrow and will be startting my acute glochidia tox assasys next week, so another week without work... shit sucks, but ill be out sooner and headed to knoxville by the beginning of the year hopefully

Dnyce
03-28-2011, 01:19 AM
i wanna tag along for some part of, dunno where i can catch u yet tho. its all mostly way out of my way lol

is chewy coming out of retirement to ride with u?

Trip
03-28-2011, 07:09 PM
i do want to do the whole trip, but my prof bumped up my graduation date to December and that means i have to really bust ass to get out, rumor has it he is leaving and is trying to get his grad students out by December because he is looking to switch colleges and doesnt want to leave us with out a prof if he does leave, I had to take three weeks off of bar tending to get my studies inline to take my comps tomorrow and will be startting my acute glochidia tox assasys next week, so another week without work... shit sucks, but ill be out sooner and headed to knoxville by the beginning of the year hopefully

Wuss, lol. Just kidding dude, hope you can find a way to come though.

i wanna tag along for some part of, dunno where i can catch u yet tho. its all mostly way out of my way lol

is chewy coming out of retirement to ride with u?

I have no idea who has Chewy. Derf had him last I knew.

KSGregman
03-28-2011, 07:16 PM
...If anyone is bored and wants to tag along for any portion. Hit me up via PM.

PM sent. :dthumb:

derf
03-28-2011, 07:17 PM
I have no idea who has Chewy. Derf had him last I knew.

I do, hes been on my bike since we rode the brp in Oct. I actually just took him off last week to fix my sticky throttle situation. He was zip tied to my right brush guard.

And here is your reason not to hit death valley

http://jalopnik.com/#!5786422/death-valley-chevrons-540-gas-will-kill-your-wallet

It would actually be cheaper to buy a gas can, fill that up, ride into death valley tapping the extra gas when you need it, then throwing the gas container away after.

Trip
03-28-2011, 08:44 PM
One gas stop won't scare me off of it. I really want to be able to say I rode through it.

Bought a new set of Anakee 2s for the trip today. So new rubber for the ride, shouldn't have to change rubber the whole trip.

Kaneman
03-28-2011, 10:02 PM
Word of advice on taking pics while you ride, I really like to wear the camera around my neck and set it down on the tank bag. Put some velcro on bottom and some on the tank bag so it's always in the same position. Very easy to reach down, grab it, turn it on and shoot that way....its always handy, even in a corner.

101lifts2
03-28-2011, 10:10 PM
Can I go and take my Chinese 150cc scooter?

Trip
03-28-2011, 10:14 PM
Word of advice on taking pics while you ride, I really like to wear the camera around my neck and set it down on the tank bag. Put some velcro on bottom and some on the tank bag so it's always in the same position. Very easy to reach down, grab it, turn it on and shoot that way....its always handy, even in a corner.

Yeah I got the lanyard for around the neck already, good call on the velcro though. Thanks.

Particle Man
03-28-2011, 10:32 PM
wrong part of the country. :rant:

Trip
03-29-2011, 06:06 PM
Totally ordered my tires yesterday at 11am and they were on the porch today. Moto Superstore is fucking fast.

Trip
03-29-2011, 08:28 PM
netbook moves into the ordered position.

Starting up a blog to document everything.

Kaneman
03-31-2011, 10:43 AM
Link to the blog?

Trip
03-31-2011, 11:02 AM
There is nothing on it, yet.

www.watchforfallingrock.net

Dnyce
03-31-2011, 09:18 PM
Pm sent

Trip
03-31-2011, 09:22 PM
Pm sent

Damnit, I knew I forgot something. I read your PM, but had to go to a meeting before I could reply. This is the tentative schedule, could change by a day or so:

5/27 - Eureka Springs, AR 658 miles
5/28 - Boise City, OK 572 miles
5/29 - Pikes Peak, CO 301 miles
5/30 - Grand Canyon, AZ 603 miles
5/31 - Las Vegas, NV 300 miles
6/1 - Day off in Vegas 0 miles
6/2 - Yosemite, CA 407 miles
6/3 - San Francisco, CA 196 miles
6/4 - Redwoods, CA 383 miles
6/5 - Crater Lake, OR 196 miles
6/6 - Jordan Valley, OR 353 miles
6/7 - Yellowstone, WY 565 miles
6/8 - Day off in Yellowstone 0 miles
6/9 - Mt Rushmore, SD 483 miles
6/10 - Sioux City, IA 491 miles
6/11 - Mt Vernon, IL 604 miles
6/12 - Home 388 miles

Dnyce
04-05-2011, 01:51 AM
Maybe I can make somewhat of a loop, here, to grand canyon, to Vegas, and back home. I'll look into that & let u know

azoomm
04-05-2011, 11:06 AM
I have some BMW Dealers along your route - please let me know if you ever need anything from them. Don't worry, we won't feel slighted that you're skipping Texas. We know you'd have too much fun and wouldn't want to leave :lol:

Trip
04-05-2011, 11:08 AM
I have some BMW Dealers along your route - please let me know if you ever need anything from them. Don't worry, we won't feel slighted that you're skipping Texas. We know you'd have too much fun and wouldn't want to leave :lol:

Thanks Zoomie, I may take you up on that.

I'd skip the whole midwest/plains if I could. Really only want to see colorado and west.

KSGregman
04-05-2011, 11:15 AM
Thanks Zoomie, I may take you up on that.

I'd skip the whole midwest/plains if I could. Really only want to see colorado and west.

I can already hear you...cursing inside your helmet as you cross I-35 and continue west into the panhandle of Oklahoma....and I don't want to taunt or upset you...but....the route you have laid in from Boise City, OK to Colorado Springs is much MUCH worse. Eastern Colorado is just BARELY a step above a desert. Geologically it's a "semi arid" area....but....I see far more arid than "semi" when I'm out there. You're golden once you make the distance and get to Colorado Springs though.

I'd meet you near I-35 in Oklahoma and ride on to CO with you if you're up for the company.

Trip
04-05-2011, 11:38 AM
yeah, I expected eastern colorado to be the land of suck.

Sounds good on the meet up.

G-Rex
04-05-2011, 12:27 PM
I'd meet you near I-35 in Oklahoma and ride on to CO with you if you're up for the company.

Rookie. LOL I was thinkin' I'd meet him at the state line, ride to Boise City, ride home and call it a day. :D

KSGregman
04-05-2011, 12:44 PM
Rookie. LOL I was thinkin' I'd meet him at the state line, ride to Boise City, ride home and call it a day. :D

Aside from wanting to meet Trip while he's in the area, I'd like to ride through the Cimarron National Grasslands on the way back....do a recon trip for some free range hiking later in the season. It would be good to meet you too. :dthumb:

Trip
05-16-2011, 08:35 PM
Looks like I might be delaying, the Sierra Nevadas keep getting hammered and hammered with Snow. There is no good route from Vegas to Yosemite that will be open in the near future.

Particle Man
05-16-2011, 08:52 PM
Looks like I might be delaying, the Sierra Nevadas keep getting hammered and hammered with Snow. There is no good route from Vegas to Yosemite that will be open in the near future.

Come on - throw knobbies on that GS :lol:

Trip
05-16-2011, 09:05 PM
Come on - throw knobbies on that GS :lol:

It's 10'+ of snow and they are expecting to get 2 to 3 more TONIGHT. I need a snowmobile, not the GS for that shit.

I may just add a day to the trip and go north towards tahoe and cut across on 88 because it looks like Sonora and Ebbetts is going to be closed for awhile too. They are talking July openings. By July, the rest of the trip will be hot as fuck.

Particle Man
05-16-2011, 09:06 PM
It's 10'+ of snow and they are expecting to get 2 to 3 more TONIGHT. I need a snowmobile, not the GS for that shit.

I may just add a day to the trip and go north towards tahoe and cut across on 88 because it looks like Sonora and Ebbetts is going to be closed for awhile too. They are talking July openings. By July, the rest of the trip will be hot as fuck.

10"? That's it?

Pffft

redflip

Trip
05-16-2011, 09:08 PM
10"? That's it?

Pffft

redflip

no 10' as in feet. Look up Tioga Pass plowing pictures. It's ridiculous how much they got this year. They are talking record breaking.

Particle Man
05-16-2011, 09:51 PM
no 10' as in feet. Look up Tioga Pass plowing pictures. It's ridiculous how much they got this year. They are talking record breaking.

Oops - one less hash mark makes all the difference :lol:

Even with a mountain sled you ain't getting through that :eek:

Tsunami
05-16-2011, 11:08 PM
v By July, the rest of the trip will be hot as fuck.

You can borrow my cooling vest!

tommymac
05-17-2011, 11:40 AM
You can borrow my cooling vest!

I doubt he will fit into it, youre a wee bit smaller than trip :lol:

Trip
05-17-2011, 06:50 PM
Still going, route going through several revisions. Change a little here and there. Got rid of my unpaved sections since I will be in this by myself.

Now doing the northern rim of the Grand Canyon instead of the southern and going to Zion National Park based on several recommendations to change this part.

Going to bypass CA 120 since it's closed and go up to Tahoe and come across 88. It says it's open currently. Will have to watch updates on it.

Gave myself the option to bypass Pikes Peak if I am running behind.

New map at the top

5/27 - Eureka Springs, AR
5/28 - Boise City, OK
5/29 - Pikes Peak, CO
5/30 - Tuba City, AZ
5/31 - Las Vegas, NV
6/1 - Day off in Vegas
6/2 - Tahoe, NV
6/3 - Yosemite, CA
6/4 - San Francisco, CA
6/5 - Redwoods, CA
6/6 - Crater Lake, OR
6/7 - Ontario, OR
6/8 - Yellowstone, WY
6/9 - Day crossing in Yellowstone
6/10 - Mt Rushmore, SD
6/11 - Sioux City, IA
6/12 - Mt Vernon, IL
6/13 - Home

G-Rex
05-17-2011, 07:42 PM
Grand Canyon North Rim and Zion National Park are well worth the stops! I highly recommend them.

Also, it's a shame that you'll miss CA 120. I rode that in 2005 on my way to Laguna Seca, it's a hell of a rollercoaster ride! :D

I'm sure you'll still have a blast! You may still hit some gravel. It's hard to tell from the map you posted on FB, but if you're taking Hwy 41 into Yosemite, well, last July when I was there, they were in the process of repaving about 15 miles of 41 going into the park.

Trip
05-17-2011, 08:31 PM
Grand Canyon North Rim and Zion National Park are well worth the stops! I highly recommend them.

Also, it's a shame that you'll miss CA 120. I rode that in 2005 on my way to Laguna Seca, it's a hell of a rollercoaster ride! :D

I'm sure you'll still have a blast! You may still hit some gravel. It's hard to tell from the map you posted on FB, but if you're taking Hwy 41 into Yosemite, well, last July when I was there, they were in the process of repaving about 15 miles of 41 going into the park.

I will hit some stops where I take gravel, but I got rid of a couple days where I rode a lot of gravel.

No Worries
05-18-2011, 01:15 AM
After going through Yosemite, I would bypass SF and head up to Red Bluff. Take Highway 36 to Ferndale and then up to the redwoods. It's the best road in northern CA. As for Pikes Peak, I would much rather ride up Mount Evans.

Trip
05-18-2011, 07:16 AM
After going through Yosemite, I would bypass SF and head up to Red Bluff. Take Highway 36 to Ferndale and then up to the redwoods. It's the best road in northern CA. As for Pikes Peak, I would much rather ride up Mount Evans.

I want to see San Fran and Pikes Peak, I am being a tourist this trip.

the chi
05-18-2011, 08:55 AM
What happened to the other adventurers?

Trip
05-18-2011, 09:31 AM
What happened to the other adventurers?

Everyone wussed out.

the chi
05-18-2011, 09:35 AM
Aww, Im sorry. When I get a decent bike I'll go with you. Promise.

Trip
05-18-2011, 09:39 AM
Aww, Im sorry. When I get a decent bike I'll go with you. Promise.

Probably won't do this again. Next time we get time, me and Andrea are going to fly out to Denver/Vegas or another city out west, rent a RV, and drive around for two weeks or so.

Andrea really wanted to do the trip, but not on a motorcycle.

G-Rex
05-18-2011, 10:16 AM
Everyone wussed out.

When riding your motorcycle means going further away than the nearest Starbucks, you will find this to be a common occurence.

Trip
05-18-2011, 10:24 AM
When riding your motorcycle means going further away than the nearest Starbucks, you will find this to be a common occurence.

yeah it was expected, the reason I started asking a lot of different people so early. I even offered up free stays on my hotel floor and had everyone back out. LOL

I am use to riding alone and don't have to worry about differing opinions on when to stop and where to eat, so it's not really a bother, but would of been nice to have some company.

marko138
05-18-2011, 10:28 AM
Drewpy seemed so fired up about this trip. What happened? Or did you not really expect him to go from the beginning?

Trip
05-18-2011, 10:30 AM
Drewpy seemed so fired up about this trip. What happened? Or did you not really expect him to go from the beginning?

The subbie getting turned into a pretzel happened.

derf
05-18-2011, 10:48 AM
Sorry, I was questionable from day 1, and it just was never gonna happen

KSGregman
05-18-2011, 11:01 AM
I am use to riding alone and don't have to worry about differing opinions on when to stop and where to eat, so it's not really a bother, but would of been nice to have some company.

I can't make the entire trip out west with you...but I'd still meet you in Oklahoma ride to Colorado with you if you're interested.

Trip
05-18-2011, 11:26 AM
I can't make the entire trip out west with you...but I'd still meet you in Oklahoma ride to Colorado with you if you're interested.

yeah, that's fine, ill pm you my number, pm me yours.

Gas Man
05-18-2011, 08:49 PM
Probably won't do this again. Next time we get time, me and Andrea are going to fly out to Denver/Vegas or another city out west, rent a RV, and drive around for two weeks or so.

Andrea really wanted to do the trip, but not on a motorcycle.

Sounds like Uma

Captain Morgan
05-18-2011, 09:06 PM
I really wanted to go, too. Distance of riding isn't a factor, as I've shown within the first year of having the Strom. Life just basically got in the way. Too damn many things keeping me from going this year. I feel bad that I let you down and still wish I could join you.