PDA

View Full Version : Loud colors save lives....

NeonspeedRT
07-03-2008, 03:17 PM
Alot of this confirms what we already know.

From the British medical journal...

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/reprint/328/7444/857.pdf

"— Wearing reflective clothing, a white or light coloured helmet, and using headlights during the day can reduce serious injuries or death from motorcycle crashes by up to one third, according to research from New Zealand in this week's BMJ.

The study included 463 motorcycle drivers involved in crashes leading to hospital treatment or death and a further 1,233 motorcycle drivers randomly selected from roadside surveys in the same region and time period.

Several factors including age, years of on-road riding experience, weather conditions and some risk taking behaviours (such as alcohol consumption) were taken into account.

Drivers wearing reflective or fluorescent clothing had a 37% lower risk of crash related injury than other drivers. Compared with wearing a black helmet, use of a white helmet was associated with a 24% lower risk, and daytime use of headlights was associated with a 27% lower risk.

There was no association between risk of crash related injury and the frontal colour of drivers' clothing or motorcycle.

Increasing the use of reflective or fluorescent clothing, white or light coloured helmets, and daytime headlights are simple, cheap ways to increase the visibility of motorcycle riders on the roads and could considerably reduce motorcycle crash related injury and death, conclude the authors."

Shift
07-03-2008, 03:23 PM
:bsflag: My bikes damn near neon green in the light and my leathers are white. People still don't see me. :idk:

itgirl
07-03-2008, 07:09 PM
i guess it can't hurt to be flourescent. if only that's all it took to stay alive out there...

jalaan1
07-03-2008, 07:11 PM
:bsflag: My bikes damn near neon green in the light and my leathers are white. People still don't see me. :idk:

'heard that.
can't get any brighter than Kawi green and white leathers.:whistle:

fnfalman
07-07-2008, 12:16 PM
I think that reflective vests/stripes work best at night, but as far as bright colors go, I've had people looking straight at me and proceed to change into my lane.:idk:

Gas Man
07-07-2008, 12:22 PM
I call BS

The only reason why they see a decrease in accidents due to peeps where reflective stripes and all this other BS. Is cause these asshats are the old geezer BMW touring riders and they aren't out hot roddin or doing anything but putting down more miles. Therefore fuckin the % all to hell with the stupid fagitivly reflective clothing!

Ride like the cage is out to kill you like the nazi motherfuckers they are and you will do fine!

WARputer
07-07-2008, 12:24 PM
I think that reflective vests/stripes work best at night, but as far as bright colors go, I've had people looking straight at me and proceed to change into my lane.:idk:

I concur.....light colors and the reflective stuff helps at night. The one thing I've found that helps during the day is HID high beam....they can not miss you if you're blinding the shit out of them. :whistle:

rider76
07-07-2008, 12:26 PM
Yes, the lady driving the minivan while, talking on the phone, drinking coffee and changing the dvd for her kid is public enemy #1.... I have encountered said enemy... not a pretty outcome

WARputer
07-07-2008, 12:26 PM
And just for kicks...in 22 years of street riding, I've been hit twice ......both times were in broad daylight and both drivers were females.....:willy:

Rider
07-07-2008, 12:51 PM
I don't have any issue with visibility. My gear is red and people can see me a mile away. Yeah, I may look like a power ranger with my solid red helmet, but it's easy to see in the daylight. Fire engine red FTMFW. :dthumb:

Mr Lefty
07-16-2008, 08:42 PM
I can't say I totally agree that brighter is better... as many have stated... people will still run you off the road... but... every little bit helps in my mind... so I'll dress in bright colors to a point... but no way in hell am I gonna rely on it to save my ass...

dReWpY
07-18-2008, 03:05 PM
i perfer camo, they never saw what they just hit

:bonk:

:squint: just kidding, thats the only time i would justify neons is at night going down the road you are more likly to be seen

Dave
07-18-2008, 06:10 PM
i perfer camo, they never saw what they just hit

:bonk:

:squint: just kidding, thats the only time i would justify neons is at night going down the road you are more likly to be seen

my bike has em, actually legal in pa as long as they arent strobing to help peeps see ya but i'll continue to rely on my 140 or so db pipe to let people know theres a bike about

Sixxxxer
07-22-2008, 09:28 PM
Neons are actually Legal In jersey as well...On Motorcycles...I'm thinking aboutdoing it on the Zixxer...I actually Like the look on Bikes but not so much on car, I dunno why.

And I agree on the Loud Pipes Save Lives...Cant really Miss a Bright Blue Bike either and I wear Black gear, But it probably helps that I'm 6'5 i'm like goddamn Giraffe on my bike, Kinda Hard to Miss!

Dnyce
07-23-2008, 09:14 PM
Neons are actually Legal In jersey as well...On Motorcycles...I'm thinking aboutdoing it on the Zixxer...I actually Like the look on Bikes but not so much on car, I dunno why.

And I agree on the Loud Pipes Save Lives...Cant really Miss a Bright Blue Bike either and I wear Black gear, But it probably helps that I'm 6'5 i'm like goddamn Giraffe on my bike, Kinda Hard to Miss!

6'5? probably looks like a monkey trying to hump a football lol

those led kits r on ebay cheap

Sixxxxer
07-24-2008, 08:40 PM
Lol, Not quite that Bad...But Some say they've seen me Duck when riding under an overpass...But The world will never know!!! :)