PDA

View Full Version : Wayne Gardner says Rossi f**ked up...

KSGregman
03-30-2011, 06:56 PM
http://waynegardnerapproved.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=62&Itemid=511

Tough to find much to disagree with here...I think his assessment is spot on.

THE WORST OF BOTH WORLDS
The more I think about it, the more I’m convinced Valentino Rossi’s decision to delay shoulder surgery until the end of 2010 was a huge mistake. Last year I said that with his season effectively over after Mugello, he should have walked away from the second half of the season and had the work done straight away. Had he done that, it would have enabled him to start 2011 fully recovered and, more importantly, fully fit. The reason he opted to continue had a lot to do with his desire to test the Ducati at Valencia in November. With that test painfully acquainting the nine-times world champion with the Desmosedici’s major design faults, it looked like the call may have been the right one. Afterall, if it’s detailed feedback and evaluation Ducati engineers were looking for, they certainly received it in spades. For Rossi, the sacrifice of delaying surgery appeared as though it would pay off in the form of a totally re-configured motorcycle for the start of 2011. That’s why I’m baffled at the current situation the team find themselves in. The bike appears to be virtually the same as last years’. In fact, if you look at the times set in Qatar, you could argue that it’s actually worse. To add insult to injury (or should that be injury to insult?), their star recruit is struggling with a shoulder that still looks to be far from its best. It’s a complete disaster and I can see no significant benefit in Rossi having delayed his surgery to test the bike late last year. If he’d instead been working on his recovery and rehabilitation, at least he’d now be in the position to tackle the Ducati at full fitness – something that would probably enable him to be further up the time sheets. But that’s the wisdom of hindsight I suppose - always a wonderful thing.

Particle Man
03-30-2011, 08:30 PM
hindsight I suppose - always a wonderful thing

Unfortunately, that's sorta how it goes...

smileyman
03-31-2011, 09:53 AM
Maybe after they figure the season is a wash he'll get better treatment and start focusing on the 1000 design. IF he can be instrumental in it's development (who can say if he hasn't already been secretly involved) then 2012 could be a Big Red year...

Dave
03-31-2011, 10:41 AM
Maybe after they figure the season is a wash he'll get better treatment and start focusing on the 1000 design. IF he can be instrumental in it's development (who can say if he hasn't already been secretly involved) then 2012 could be a Big Red year...

I thought a number of the factories had decided to keep the 800s for a bit. They're faster than the 990s so I can't imagine a clean sheet heavier bike keeping up with a well ridden rc212 or m1

smileyman
03-31-2011, 11:08 AM
Would be news to me. It was well published that the organizers wanted a 1000cc rule in 2012 with less rider aids/electronics. Possibly modified production engines in prototype chassis to run alongside the more expensive bikes. Trying to fill a grid I suppose.

Dave
03-31-2011, 11:11 AM
Would be news to me. It was well published that the organizers wanted a 1000cc rule in 2012 with less rider aids/electronics. Possibly modified production engines in prototype chassis to run alongside the more expensive bikes. Trying to fill a grid I suppose.

Last I heard it was a hybrid rule where existing teams could campaign the current stuff or move up and privateers could form new crt teams with production based 1000cc power plants. Which is where that mutant s1krr suter came from.

Part I hate is there's some very anti honda wording in the rules.

smileyman
03-31-2011, 11:48 AM
Last I heard it was a hybrid rule where existing teams could campaign the current stuff or move up and privateers could form new crt teams with production based 1000cc power plants. Which is where that mutant s1krr suter came from.

Part I hate is there's some very anti honda wording in the rules.

Well Honda has always lobbied for rules changes that benefitted them or the direction they were ready to pursue. Perhaps this is a way to convince the other manus that they wont get pushed out like in GP2 and GP3?