PDA

View Full Version : Gear indicator

Crazy
07-10-2008, 08:35 PM
I know there are gear indicators on teh market for around $100... but I'm an ECE major (actually computer eng), and it seems like a lot of money for something that is probably a very simple circuit. so I'm kinda curious if anyone knows any info about the speed/rpm/other signals that go to the dashboard... I guess I could just hook up my bike to an oscilloscope??

not that I really need one, just would be a fun project.

Trip
07-10-2008, 08:46 PM
From what I have read, the fancy ones use the tach and speedo to calculate gear. That would be more chip programming than I would care to get into and the cost to get the software and hardware to do this would warrant the $100 to buy one. If you planned to sell them, then it could possibly be worth it.

Crazy
07-10-2008, 09:05 PM
yeah thats what i've found so far, but its kinda hard to mount an oscilloscope to your bike and ride around to figure out the details of the signal...

true its probably not worth doing money and effort wise but if i can do it for anything less than $150 i would do it, most of them are priced from 100- 150 and up. I probably have more free time than you :lol:

and i've done some basic microcontroller programming before , but really need to know the signal details first.

Amber Lamps
07-10-2008, 09:22 PM
yeah thats what i've found so far, but its kinda hard to mount an oscilloscope to your bike and ride around to figure out the details of the signal...

true its probably not worth doing money and effort wise but if i can do it for anything less than $150 i would do it, most of them are priced from 100- 150 and up. I probably have more free time than you :lol:

and i've done some basic microcontroller programming before , but really need to know the signal details first.

Well,if you know a friendly dyno owner...... or if you're REALLY,REALLY smart you could crack the programming in the computer since most,if not all FI bikes send that info to the bikes computer along with throttle position, o2 info, rpm, speed,etc.

Crazy
07-10-2008, 09:40 PM
good point tigger, actually just searching around, it looks like there is a gear position sensor which gives different resistances to the ECU. tap the wire and then use a circuit like this:

http://www.bluegauges.com/gpi_stuff/gpi_schematic.gif

so then you'd have an led counter, 1 led on for 1st gear, 2 on for 2nd etc.

I think that would work... :idk:

I should probably invest in a manual for my bike first heh

No Worries
07-10-2008, 10:12 PM
My 75 Suzuki GT550 and 76 GT750 had digital gear indicators. No idea how they worked, but they were definitely kool. Could probably find them in a junk yard, but they were five-speeds.

Trip
07-10-2008, 10:18 PM
good point tigger, actually just searching around, it looks like there is a gear position sensor which gives different resistances to the ECU. tap the wire and then use a circuit like this:

http://www.bluegauges.com/gpi_stuff/gpi_schematic.gif

so then you'd have an led counter, 1 led on for 1st gear, 2 on for 2nd etc.

I think that would work... :idk:

I should probably invest in a manual for my bike first heh

Hell that site is everything you need, it's already setup for suzukis

Crazy
07-10-2008, 11:06 PM
it might need some tweaking, but the basic idea is there.. and all for < 10$ in parts im sure. then I just need to find a good way to mount the LEDs. only possible concern is any damage i could do to the bike by tapping the Gear Pos. Sensor

Gas Man
07-11-2008, 12:43 AM
I had one on the 9R. Installed it myself... it was AWESOME!!

Don't have any pics or links here at work... Will have to post up some info on it when I get home.

Amber Lamps
07-11-2008, 06:00 AM
My 75 Suzuki GT550 and 76 GT750 had digital gear indicators. No idea how they worked, but they were definitely kool. Could probably find them in a junk yard, but they were five-speeds.

Yea,my '81 Seca 750 had a gear indicator, a gas gage, and self canceling turn signals (or was that my '88 V-Max?),anyway,it's always irritated me that the OEMs stopped putting that stuff on bikes and have only recently brought back gear indicators. Heck,my Maxim X had a built in security chain that stored in the frame and used the ignition key!

Gas Man
07-15-2008, 02:01 PM
Acumen DG8 is what I had. Comes in red or blue displays.

Here's one from KD its a Datatool
http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Datatool_DiGi_Digital_Gear_Indicator--56-DIGI-2.html

And i can't find my damn pics!!

Rider
07-15-2008, 02:13 PM
Buy a bike with an OEM gear indicator. :whistle:

Dnyce
07-15-2008, 05:53 PM
looks cool, but whats the purpose? i would guess so u dont downshift all the to 1st by accident, or so u dont try to shift up to a imaginary 7th gear?

i know on some bikes if you add a tre or something, the oem indicator stays in 6th gear. kinda pointless.

Crazy
07-15-2008, 06:49 PM
theres not really a point for me, its just for fun mainly. and the imaginary 7th gear.

t-homo
07-15-2008, 07:13 PM
theres not really a point for me, its just for fun mainly. and the imaginary 7th gear.

7th gear is always a bad deal. Then the times you are in 5th, but think you are in sixth.

Dave
07-15-2008, 10:05 PM
Acumen DG8 is what I had. Comes in red or blue displays.

Here's one from KD its a Datatool
http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Datatool_DiGi_Digital_Gear_Indicator--56-DIGI-2.html

And i can't find my damn pics!!

acumen also comes in white overseas. might be more difficult but def available if you find the right supplier

Dnyce
07-16-2008, 01:21 AM
imaginary 7th isnt bad-the bike just doesnt shift :idk:

and you can "hear when you're in 1st, in case u missed the lil green neutral flash out the corner of your eye.

i cant see spending 100bucks on one, but if you make your own, thats pretty sweet. go for it

Gas Man
07-16-2008, 02:15 AM
It was a nice function to have. For the reasons listed already.