PDA

View Full Version : Watch for Falling Rock - Cali Trip Blog

Trip
05-19-2011, 12:53 PM
If you want to keep up with me, I am not going to be updating on forums much, but I will be uploading pics and you can get to my spot page at my blog I have set up

http://www.watchforfallingrock.net

My Spot Tracking Site (http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0XfYhcNcmQ0bkknyZE37fKygL9Hc6mp ZR)

Departure is next friday.

2d0e4dd6b0b608b3e

Gas Man
05-19-2011, 09:44 PM
Awesome!!

tallywacker
05-19-2011, 09:53 PM
Well when I get my GS I'm down to abandon life for awhile as well.

Mudpuppy
05-19-2011, 10:12 PM
fuck that shit mr too good to update the forums.. i deleted my ability to bookmark pages just so i don't have to click on your fucking blog.. fuck you and your blog.. just kidding.. good idea.. will check it out..

Trip
05-19-2011, 10:13 PM
fuck that shit mr too good to update the forums.. i deleted my ability to bookmark pages just so i don't have to click on your fucking blog.. fuck you and your blog.. just kidding.. good idea.. will check it out..

hahahhahahahhhaa

Particle Man
05-19-2011, 10:17 PM
Cool!

Trip
05-19-2011, 10:36 PM
Added my spot link to the first post.

Trip
05-20-2011, 10:41 PM
Apparently there is a site called Spotwalla, which has much better features than Spot's actual page, but uses Spot's tracks. I have embedded the spotwalla map into this thread.

Particle Man
05-21-2011, 07:53 AM
Apparently there is a site called Spotwalla, which has much better features than Spot's actual page, but uses Spot's tracks. I have embedded the spotwalla map into this thread.

Phew - explains this, huh?

http://prtclmn001.smugmug.com/Other/SmugShots/i-nHPvmtC/0/L/smugshot509679-L.jpg

Trip
05-21-2011, 08:47 AM
Phew - explains this, huh?

http://prtclmn001.smugmug.com/Other/SmugShots/i-nHPvmtC/0/L/smugshot509679-L.jpg

Once I go in the trip and start tracking that message will stop

Particle Man
05-21-2011, 09:25 AM
Once I go in the trip and start tracking that message will stop

Hurry up already :lol:

Captain Morgan
05-24-2011, 05:29 PM
You taking Chewy on the whole trip? Or at least picking him up somewhere along the way? Hope so, caust that pic of the dog playing with Chewy on the front page is due for a change!!

Trip
05-24-2011, 06:17 PM
You taking Chewy on the whole trip? Or at least picking him up somewhere along the way? Hope so, caust that pic of the dog playing with Chewy on the front page is due for a change!!

No, derf's got him. I got too much to worry about anyway, don't want to have to deal with chewy.

derf
05-24-2011, 08:16 PM
No, derf's got him. I got too much to worry about anyway, don't want to have to deal with chewy.

I can overnight him down if you want, I asked 2 weeks ago if you wanted it.

Trip
05-24-2011, 08:28 PM
I can overnight him down if you want, I asked 2 weeks ago if you wanted it.

yeah I don't need him, I got enough things I want to capture besides chewy.

Captain Morgan
05-24-2011, 09:11 PM

then at least get rid of the pic on the front page. :lol:

Trip
05-24-2011, 09:37 PM
then at least get rid of the pic on the front page. :lol:

Get derf to do a write up of his time with chewy.

derf
05-24-2011, 09:53 PM
Get derf to do a write up of his time with chewy.

http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=8284&highlight=chewy&page=27

He's been sitting in my garage ever since. Did the BRP when I forgot to give him to you

Trip
05-27-2011, 09:20 PM
I am in Shawnee, OK. I learned a lot about long distance riding and the faults of my gear. This is going to be a long hard trip. I am over 10% done as far as mileage though.

No Worries
05-28-2011, 12:56 AM
Have you heard about the weather out west? We had hardly any snow this winter in Denver, but the mountains got hit hard all over the western US. 50 feet of snow at one ski area. They usually have Mount Evans road and Trail Ridge road open for Memorial Day. Not this year. Although Independence Pass is open. We had one of the coldest and wettest May's ever, so none of the snow melted. I don't know the current status of Pike's Peak road, but you can try 1-800-318-9505.

Trip
05-28-2011, 06:30 AM
Have you heard about the weather out west? We had hardly any snow this winter in Denver, but the mountains got hit hard all over the western US. 50 feet of snow at one ski area. They usually have Mount Evans road and Trail Ridge road open for Memorial Day. Not this year. Although Independence Pass is open. We had one of the coldest and wettest May's ever, so none of the snow melted. I don't know the current status of Pike's Peak road, but you can try 1-800-318-9505.

Thanks for the number, I will give them a call. Stupid snow. I know it's been bad out there because Tioga Pass and Beartooth Highway openings are delayed pass memorial day for the first time in a long time tooo.

Gas Man
05-28-2011, 12:33 PM
What's wrong with the gear?

I know that gear is where it's at when you hit non-sunshine weather.

Captain Morgan
05-29-2011, 02:49 PM
You're in some beautiful country right now, riding through Gunnison area. I hope to move back out that way at some point, either to Colorado or Utah. Hope the ride is going well!!

Trip
05-29-2011, 08:34 PM
Staying in Mesa Verde tonight, today's ride was my best ever.

Captain Morgan
05-29-2011, 09:39 PM
Staying in Mesa Verde tonight, today's ride was my best ever.

I bet it was. You traveled through some beautiful country today.

Trip
05-30-2011, 11:41 PM
Staying at the Grand Canyon Lodge on the North Rim. Watched the sunset off by myself on a little rock ledge. One of the most amazing sites I will ever witness. Definitely was right for having it in the top ten of my bucket list. Check out my blog for pics. I have a ton more pics I will post when I get home.

Trip
05-31-2011, 07:26 PM
Vegas, bitches.

derf
05-31-2011, 07:43 PM
how much did you spend on these so called vegas bitches?

Captain Morgan
05-31-2011, 08:56 PM
how much did you spend on these so called vegas bitches?

:lol:

Glad to see you went up into Zion National Park. Southern Utah is also gorgeous, although not much will compare to the Grand Canyon. The redwoods will be awesome, I'm sure.

Gas Man
06-01-2011, 04:45 AM
Great man... can't wait to see pics... enjoy it

Trip
06-02-2011, 09:19 PM
I spent all day in Vegas yesterday and found out that place is not for me. I am not a gambler, I like my money. The hotels/streets/everywhere you go annoy the ever living shot out of me because of people constantly bombarding you with sales pitches. It's like never leaving a hhgregg. The people who aren't trying to sell you shit, aka other tourists, are some of the most desperate people on earth. The entire city just rubbed me the wrong way. This could be my only trip to Vegas.

Today was a long day. I had to make up some mileage due to the closure of Tioga Pass because of snow. I wanted to hit Death Valley so I had to choose between going to tahoe and crossing the sierras and most likely adding a day to my trip or go south around the Sierras in no mans land.

I got to Death Valley and after everyone warning me how it would suck and don't do it. I throughly enjoyed it. It was good scenery and I had great temps in the low 80s. Beat the shit out of Vegas.

After I cleared the Valley, I decided to try south and gain some time instead of the nothern route. Tahoe didn't interest me after my Vegas adventure. I probably made a stupid choice. The route I took was out of a horror film. There was literally not much for 100 miles or more and then the little towns I ran across were pretty much all boarded up. It was creepy shit.

However, I made good time and ended up in Oakhurst, CA just outside of Yosemite. So I will hit up Yosemite in the morning and probably end up in or near San Francisco tomorrow night.

anthonyk
06-02-2011, 10:21 PM
Yosemite's going to be beautiful. I bet the waterfalls will be going strong. Watch out for idiot tourists stopped in the middle of the road around blind corners.

101lifts2
06-03-2011, 01:32 AM
How many miles to a tank?

What is the list of shit you take on long trips like this?

Gas Man
06-03-2011, 03:58 AM
I'm with ya Trip on Vegas. I do want to go thr once more time, maybe with some friends... But I don't gamble and I too rather keep my money.

However, there are lots of places to see, shows to see, etc that can entertain you if you're there with wifey & another couple.

Just put on some more miles and it will make up for shitty vegas time.

Particle Man
06-03-2011, 06:49 AM

motorcycle
you
your shit

G-Rex
06-03-2011, 08:06 AM

Clothes
Cameras
Camcorders
a few basic tools
zip-ties
duct tape
GPS
first aid kit
paper map
Mag Light
flask with your favorite post-ride adult beverage

I'm about to begin a test pack of my load for heading to Alaska. I'll make a detailed list of that and post if anybody cares. What I wrote above covers most of what I usually take on my trips.

derf
06-03-2011, 08:32 AM
motorcycle
you
your shit

excellent list, covers all the major areas

Clothes
Cameras
Camcorders
a few basic tools
zip-ties
duct tape
GPS
first aid kit
paper map
Mag Light
flask with your favorite post-ride adult beverage

I'm about to begin a test pack of my load for heading to Alaska. I'll make a detailed list of that and post if anybody cares. What I wrote above covers most of what I usually take on my trips.

Looking forward to seeing it. you need to post up a time lapse video of you loading your bike up.

Trip
06-03-2011, 09:07 AM
I'm with ya Trip on Vegas. I do want to go thr once more time, maybe with some friends... But I don't gamble and I too rather keep my money.

However, there are lots of places to see, shows to see, etc that can entertain you if you're there with wifey & another couple.

Just put on some more miles and it will make up for shitty vegas time.

My wife was there with me. Still sucked. She agreed we are done with Vegas. Too many other places to see first.

derf
06-03-2011, 01:05 PM
Have fun in san fransisco, its a lot like vegas, you are gonna hate it

Trip
06-03-2011, 09:48 PM
Have fun in san fransisco, its a lot like vegas, you are gonna hate it

I am already out of San Fran. I loved it, cause I didn't actually go into the city proper. I went up onto Skyline Blvd and went to Alice's Restaurant. Sorta the Deals Gap of San Fran. It was pretty cool. Then I went to the Golden Gate and got the shit out of San Fran. LOL!

derf
06-03-2011, 09:55 PM
I thought I saw a picture of you up at Coit tower

Trip
06-03-2011, 10:23 PM
I thought I saw a picture of you up at Coit tower

That was from Golden Gate Park. I never went downtown.

G-Rex
06-03-2011, 11:13 PM
That was from Golden Gate Park. I never went downtown.

Good thing. Downtown San Francisco is a shithole ghetto.

Trip
06-04-2011, 12:40 AM
Good thing. Downtown San Francisco is a shithole ghetto.

95% of California is a shithole so far. Yosemite and Death Valley were epic fun though. I miss Colorado/Utah/Arizona.

Captain Morgan
06-04-2011, 01:10 AM
95% of California is a shithole so far. Yosemite and Death Valley were epic fun though. I miss Colorado/Utah/Arizona.

I want to move back out west. Absolutely loved living in Utah. Colorado would work too.

Particle Man
06-04-2011, 07:30 AM
95% of California is a shithole so far.

I could've told you that and saved you the trip :lol:

Trip
06-04-2011, 09:11 AM
I could've told you that and saved you the trip :lol:

Wouldn't of worked. People told me not to go to death valley cause it sucked and it ended up being one of my favorite stops so far.

Captain Morgan
06-04-2011, 01:51 PM
surprised you didn't ride up Hwy 1

Trip
06-04-2011, 08:31 PM
surprised you didn't ride up Hwy 1

weather forced me too.

San Fran area was getting hammered with rain/thunderstorms/wind. I wanted to get out of that shit and not sit in beach traffic in it.

I really wanted to, I got a taste of it in Northern Cali.

Captain Morgan
06-04-2011, 08:39 PM
weather forced me too.

San Fran area was getting hammered with rain/thunderstorms/wind. I wanted to get out of that shit and not sit in beach traffic in it.

I really wanted to, I got a taste of it in Northern Cali.

That makes sense. Glad you got to ride a little bit of it. Nice pic of the redwood. Can't wait to see the rest of the pics.

derf
06-04-2011, 10:59 PM
Your spot only shows 7 days worth of travels, its missing the first few days

Captain Morgan
06-04-2011, 11:06 PM
Your spot only shows 7 days worth of travels, its missing the first few days

set it for two weeks and it shows it all

Trip
06-04-2011, 11:20 PM
I am getting really tired of left coast gas transactions. It seems most of the pumps are unable to recognize my card... California has the stupid heavy vapor guards for the mentally retarded... Oregon pumps the gas for you. I am ready to get back to normal gas and go....

derf
06-04-2011, 11:23 PM
set it for two weeks and it shows it all

havnt been able to do that. I also cant see where it lets you show the entire trip in one screen. Ive seen it on others spot pages before, I'm just lost on this one

Trip
06-04-2011, 11:37 PM
havnt been able to do that. I also cant see where it lets you show the entire trip in one screen. Ive seen it on others spot pages before, I'm just lost on this one

Just use the spotwalla window in the first post. Switch it to all and zoom out.

Gas Man
06-05-2011, 07:30 PM
I am getting really tired of left coast gas transactions. It seems most of the pumps are unable to recognize my card... California has the stupid heavy vapor guards for the mentally retarded... Oregon pumps the gas for you. I am ready to get back to normal gas and go....
Even at full service places in new england I just pumped it myself and the attendee didn't have a problem with it.

Porkchop
06-05-2011, 08:19 PM

I love Arizona and Colorado. Never been to Utah.

No Worries
06-05-2011, 11:02 PM
I love Arizona and Colorado. Never been to Utah.

Utah has to be the most under-rated state in the Union. It was always my favorite place for off-roading. It would be unbelievable on a dual-purpose bike.

Captain Morgan
06-05-2011, 11:10 PM
Utah has to be the most under-rated state in the Union. It was always my favorite place for off-roading. It would be unbelievable on a dual-purpose bike.

I absolutely loved living in Utah.

G-Rex
06-06-2011, 07:10 AM
Utah has to be the most under-rated state in the Union..

What he said.

Trip
06-09-2011, 10:26 PM
Made it back home. Pretty much did an iron butt today with detours and some extra riding thrown in, Omaha - Lenoir City was 900 miles, so I finished up the 100 and got over 1000. Not sure how I am going to fill out the paperwork though.

Will start up a day by day write up this weekend with more pics than whats on the blog.

G-Rex
06-09-2011, 10:35 PM
Made it back home. Pretty much did an iron butt today with detours and some extra riding thrown in, Omaha - Lenoir City was 900 miles, so I finished up the 100 and got over 1000. Not sure how I am going to fill out the paperwork though.

Will start up a day by day write up this weekend with more pics than whats on the blog.

Glad you made it home! I hope the trip was as epic and worth it as you imagined!

The only bad thing I find after being on the road that long, is that for the first few days, I don't really feel *at home*. I feel like I belong *out there*. Once you've been *there*, you know what I mean.

Trip
06-09-2011, 10:41 PM
Glad you made it home! I hope the trip was as epic and worth it as you imagined!

The only bad thing I find after being on the road that long, is that for the first few days, I don't really feel *at home*. I feel like I belong *out there*. Once you've been *there*, you know what I mean.

It was epic, some of it was better, some of it was worse. All in all it was the best I could ever hope for. I still can't believe my luck in weather. I had perfect weather for 99% of the trip. I got a little rain on the first day and a little in San Francisco. The rest of the trip was 40s-90s. Easily handled by my gear. I was never in a situation where I was too cold. I did get a little toasty coming in today when it was high 90s from Mizzou to Tenn. Nashville rush hour traffic was the worst weather I had.

G-Rex
06-09-2011, 10:45 PM
BTW I saw your helmet pic. I still see a few blank spots in there. Lookin' good though!

Trip
06-10-2011, 08:05 AM
BTW I saw your helmet pic. I still see a few blank spots in there. Lookin' good though!

Yea, I need to work on it more

Gas Man
06-11-2011, 06:33 AM
Glad you made it back without incident. Can't wait to see more on the trip.