PDA

View Full Version : Frame Sliders...

Mrs. Colleen
07-13-2008, 06:56 PM
My husband was telling me that people have different opinions of frame sliders...some love them and some think they do more damage than good. His bike has them so I was asking him if he thought it would be a good idea for me to get some too. Anyway........

I know very little about frame sliders so I want to hear your input. Good stories, bad stories, pics, anything.

Teach me the ways of the sliders! :cheers:

Mr Lefty
07-13-2008, 07:48 PM
frame sliders are good for tip overs... for slides... it depends on the quality what they're made of and how they mount. the cheaper ones will snap.... the "bling" are usually metal and tend to dig in and either bend what ever they're mounted to or snap off in the hole. bikes that require cutting usually have a few cheaper alternatives that mount to a fairing tab or what ever and are called NO-Cutt sliders (for obvious reasons) but they are mounted to structurally weak points and usually cause more damage than you'd have gotten with out them.

good sliders aren't crash cages... they help REDUCE damage... not prevent them. they're to keep your FRAME from sliding on the ground... NOT YOUR FAIRINGS! you can buy new fairings with insurance money... but a scratched frame = salvaged title.

I have some cut ones that cost me $160 cause I had to get a new coolant bottle as the slider mounts right in the middle of it. but I got it for the parking lot tip overs and low speed downs... wouldn't expect them to save shit in anything over 60mph. IMO

all of this is based on my gathering of info from here and several other websites... don't have any real life experience with sliders... but I will say that I I had my bike fall over and break a foot peg, rear brake lever, front brake lever, and scratch the hell, and crack my right fairing, as well as scratched my exhaust. all would have been saved had I had sliders. or at the very least... greatly reduced

NONE_too_SOFT
07-13-2008, 08:01 PM
frame sliders saved my bike, even though the puck wasnt even on cause somebody stole it. without them i would have to replace the shift linkage, rear sets, back tail, mid section and probobly more. like ebbs said, they dont save the fairings, but they do help. a little rash is a better then a lot of rash and cracks and such.

As far as doing damage in a crash, yea they COULD damage the frame in a VERY hard impact, but in that event the least of your worries will be a bent frame. Those types of crashes are bike killers anyways.

Dave
07-13-2008, 08:13 PM
saved my bike completely when i lowsided. i have lockheart phillips sliders on the bar ends, frame, and swingarm. i wouldnt want to ride without em

fnfalman
07-13-2008, 08:38 PM
Good frame sliders are worth their weights in gold. I prefer Woodcraft and RhiniMoto.

Phenix_Rider
07-13-2008, 08:45 PM
They wouldn't have done me any good- you could see that from the damage. Smashed headlight surround would not have been saved. 35mph low side.

On the other hand, they DID save an '02 GSXR on the track. He had aluminum woodcraft sliders. The slider wore down a bit, and the bolt bent, but the only damage on the bike was a few scratches that are barely noticeable. His swingarm spool broke off, but the swingarm was clean. 30 mph high side.

Amber Lamps
07-13-2008, 08:47 PM
Good frame sliders are worth their weights in gold. I prefer Woodcraft and RhiniMoto.

Have you "crash tested" the Woodcrafts? I'm waiting to see what Suzuki does with the '09 GSXR1000 asit's a remodel year but if it's similar to what they have now,I'm going to keep my bike and totally re-do it. I really like the closed end look of them.

Cutty72
07-13-2008, 11:06 PM
I have the LP sliders on the SV, and they help, mostly to save the radiators as there is not much for plastic on it.

the 1125 came from the factory with "sliders"
Them big ugly pods everyone bitches about are designed to take the impact, and at only $50/each its not too bad.

Mr Lefty
07-13-2008, 11:10 PM
really? damn didn't realize they were designed to take the impact... I was wondering how they were gonna figure out sliders... pretty cool...

Cutty72
07-13-2008, 11:24 PM
really? damn didn't realize they were designed to take the impact... I was wondering how they were gonna figure out sliders... pretty cool...

yup, about the only good thing about them.

guess they work pretty well too, from what i've heard.

Mr Lefty
07-13-2008, 11:26 PM
well that and the wind protection... :lol:

go test them... it's only $50 :lol:

Cutty72
07-13-2008, 11:29 PM
well that and the wind protection... :lol:

go test them... it's only $50 :lol:

They work in a tip over. only other scratch was little one on the clutch cover.

FYI, on the 1125, when it's in 2nd, you don't have to hold in the clutch to start it.

Mr Lefty
07-13-2008, 11:32 PM
:lol: taking it the second caused the first

Cutty72
07-13-2008, 11:34 PM
:lol: taking it the second caused the first

yup, puttin on helmet reach down hit starter, boom, bike on ground. huh...
Now i check the Neutral light before hitting start button...
still don't know why i left it in 2nd :idk:

oh and ebbs, looks like you need a shower. :lol:

Mr Lefty
07-13-2008, 11:38 PM
yeah went to mudfest... I'll have more pics later on... I didn't take many... so I gotta get them from a friend.

got fuck'n fried though...

lots of gorgeous korean girls in bikini's... YUM... was in the ER with a bad case of Yellow Feaver :lol:

ceo012384
07-14-2008, 12:13 AM
Frame sliders are good if you get decent ones.

Don't buy no-cuts. They will help you in a tip-over but if you have any sort of serious crash they can fuck your bike over real bad.

Get woodcrafts. And don't spring for the metal pucks, they are worse. You want delrin pucks. I'm actually surprised woodcraft even offers the metal bling pucks... they are usually all about functionality.

DLIT
07-14-2008, 12:49 AM
The no-cuts mount to your engine kount, Ebbs, not weaker points. Most of the no-cuts out there have shitty adapters and they aren't locked in place, making the adapter move up or down during a wreck and do more harm. This happened on my first bike, I had shitty no-cuts. So I smartened up and put Vortex on there during the fix. Vortex are a very good slider. They can handle a high speed wreck if it's just sliding on the tarmac or street. The person who bought my '04 R6 had a veru high speed wreck and the frame slider worked excellent. It slid and slid on it preventing much more potential damage. It was worn half way down, but it was still in the perfect cylinder shape, unlike many shitty quality sliders, they'll just warp and make it real hard to get it off.

I would say the best kind to get are the ones with the metal base and the puck attaches to it, like Vortex or Woodcraft. I had a buddy go down at the track this past Saturday and his frame slider held up pretty damn good preventing a bunch of damage, he just replaced his right rear set and he went back out.

Frame sliders are definately a great idea...as long as they're top quality ones.

Mr Lefty
07-14-2008, 02:45 AM
The no-cuts mount to your engine kount, Ebbs, not weaker points. Most of the no-cuts out there have shitty adapters and they aren't locked in place, making the adapter move up or down during a wreck and do more harm. This happened on my first bike, I had shitty no-cuts. So I smartened up and put Vortex on there during the fix. Vortex are a very good slider. They can handle a high speed wreck if it's just sliding on the tarmac or street. The person who bought my '04 R6 had a veru high speed wreck and the frame slider worked excellent. It slid and slid on it preventing much more potential damage. It was worn half way down, but it was still in the perfect cylinder shape, unlike many shitty quality sliders, they'll just warp and make it real hard to get it off.

I would say the best kind to get are the ones with the metal base and the puck attaches to it, like Vortex or Woodcraft. I had a buddy go down at the track this past Saturday and his frame slider held up pretty damn good preventing a bunch of damage, he just replaced his right rear set and he went back out.

Frame sliders are definately a great idea...as long as they're top quality ones.

actually... most no cut sliders I've seen mount to fairing tabs... not to the motor... :idk: could be that most I've seen were for my bike and that's the easiest bolt to mount to

Amber Lamps
07-14-2008, 06:44 AM
Yea I had Haris no cuts and the adapter bracket wrapped around the frame so it didn't move when I crashed. I think you can get good quality no cuts but I agree that for the most part you're better off with the cut in ones.

Trip
07-14-2008, 07:31 AM
I highsided my bike at 108 mph and it stayed on the asphalt for the entire slide. I had R&G no cut sliders on the bike and I only sustained minimal rash to the bike and a broken rearset peg.

Sliders in general won't do a thing if a bike goes into gravel/grass and starts to tumble.

z06boy
07-14-2008, 09:41 AM
My wife dropped the R6 while turning at low speeed in the driveway and the frame sliders saved the bike from any damage.

They more than paid for themselves right there.

I know they are designed to protect the frame...not the fairings...that's why they're not called "fairing sliders"...but none the less they saved the fairings in this case which is an added benefit. :dthumb:

Hopefully we won't ever get a chance to crash test them.

DLIT
07-14-2008, 12:57 PM
Yea I had Haris no cuts and the adapter bracket wrapped around the frame so it didn't move when I crashed. I think you can get good quality no cuts but I agree that for the most part you're better off with the cut in ones.

Yup. I got the Graves no-cut that wrap around the frame a bit to keep the adapter in place.

Mrs. Colleen
07-14-2008, 04:28 PM
Thanks for all the info everyone! :cheers:

Dave
07-14-2008, 05:15 PM
actually... most no cut sliders I've seen mount to fairing tabs... not to the motor... :idk: could be that most I've seen were for my bike and that's the easiest bolt to mount to

i dont think they even make a cut slider for the 954, engine mount is right inside a hole in the fairing

Mr Lefty
07-14-2008, 05:27 PM
well but they're probably just called SLIDERS not NO CUT sliders... as it's obvious you don't need to cut... :lol:

Dave
07-14-2008, 05:39 PM
troof troof and of course its prob a moot point anyway since the only other 954 owner on here i can think of is osp and in some wierd way he would probably like the bike more if it got banged up so he had a good excuse to do some fightering'

Mr Lefty
07-14-2008, 06:05 PM
:lol: very true

Amber Lamps
07-14-2008, 06:53 PM
troof troof and of course its prob a moot point anyway since the only other 954 owner on here i can think of is osp and in some wierd way he would probably like the bike more if it got banged up so he had a good excuse to do some fightering'

his bike came with sliders...

Dave
07-14-2008, 07:00 PM
i know, i was making funnies :p

Amber Lamps
07-14-2008, 07:46 PM
i know, i was making funnies :p

oh...