PDA

View Full Version : Should MotoGP bikes be more restricted like NASCAR?

L8 Braker
06-08-2011, 10:17 AM
With all the discussion that MotoGP is "boring" or uncompetitive, is there something that can be done to make the races closer at the finish line?...NASCAR has this in place, and no one EVER has a huge lead at the finish line...

So, is that the answer?

L8 Braker
06-08-2011, 10:19 AM
I vote no, BTW...I'm a "run what you brung" kind of guy...

anthonyk
06-08-2011, 10:25 AM
No way. Ease up the fuel restrictions, and/or make the tires crappier.

Dave
06-08-2011, 11:45 AM
Prototype racing is supposed to showcase technology. Restricting that in any way makes it irrelevant

Phenix_Rider
06-08-2011, 11:55 AM
Prototype racing is supposed to showcase technology. Restricting that in any way makes it irrelevant

Ditto. There are plenty off "stock" classes out there. That's what superbike/supersport and Moto 2 ar efor. What makes GP exciting is seeing the development. I WANT to see a team or a mfg run away with races, because next race or next season it forces someone else to step up and push the state of the art.

"Equal" classes are fine, but if they don't have the slightest resemblence to a commercially available vehicle *ahem* NASCAR *ahem* don't pretend they do.

Dave
06-08-2011, 01:30 PM
Ditto. There are plenty off "stock" classes out there. That's what superbike/supersport and Moto 2 ar efor. What makes GP exciting is seeing the development. I WANT to see a team or a mfg run away with races, because next race or next season it forces someone else to step up and push the statie of the art.

"Equal" classes are fine, but if they don't have the slightest resemblence to a commercially available vehicle *ahem* NASCAR *ahem* don't pretend they do.

Exactly, NASCAR rules need to be rolled back to their homogolation racing days. Be better for everyone

smileyman
06-08-2011, 02:29 PM
Ahhhh hells no!

KSGregman
06-08-2011, 02:51 PM
What kills MotoGP, IMHO, is "satellite" team racing. It's stupid to send two Ducatis and 3 or four Hondas and a couple of Yamahas out there on CLEARLY inferior bikes (often with engines and frames that are a season or two old) and then call it "racing."

It's NOT a competition if it's rigged so that only 3 or 4 bikes have a legimate chance to win and the other riders are just out there to "fill out" (though it's embarrassing to say that for MotoGP with only 17 riders when everyone is healthy) the grid.

Honda and Ducati and Yamaha should send everyone out on "factory" bikes.....no glaring technology gaps within the same brand.....you ride for Yamaha, you get the best Yamaha prototype available....same as Honda and Ducati....best rider wins. I honestly don't know how they talk kids into leaving Moto2 or WSB to go ride a bike that they KNOW has NO chance to win in MotoGP.

I think that ridding the field of all the electronic aids would be a HUGE step in the right direction too. What seperates the winners from the losers? The size of their balls and their skill on 2 wheels....not how good their ECU engineer in Japan is.

smileyman
06-08-2011, 03:05 PM
Tony Elias feels your pain...

Particle Man
06-08-2011, 03:54 PM
I vote no, BTW...I'm a "run what you brung" kind of guy...

Both of these.

smileyman
06-08-2011, 04:51 PM
Fortunately with racing motorcycles the style and skill of the rider have a much greater effect in the overall performance than just using the same engines, chassis ect.

Moto2 is a prime example of how you can use the same engine and ecu and get different results thanks partially to open chassis rules but the different rider styles and abilities seem to come out at each circuit.

Not saying that a NASCAR driver doesnt have tracks that his style favors, I am just saying that if that driver has a shit set up that weekend it wont matter how well he wheels a car, someone with the right set up will beat him.

I raced dirt track ovals in cars for about 7-8 years and there is only so much you can do with the car if you miss the set up, usually only about two lines thru a corner thanks to the heavy wide nature of the cars. You can hustle the thing a little but physics takes over eventually.

Bikes have a broader spectrum of lines, styles, and even when you get on a guys bike that owns the lap record, if you dont have his style his set up isnt going to agree but you can still hustle it once you find out how to agree with it (ala Stoner and the Ducati).

OneSickPsycho
06-08-2011, 05:03 PM
Fuck that shit... completely unrestricted... Engine size should be the only standard...

Dave
06-08-2011, 05:05 PM
Fuck that shit... completely unrestricted... Engine size should be the only standard...

Exactly. I'm tired of the extra "anti honda" clauses in the engine rules

Tmall
06-08-2011, 05:28 PM
Are there, or have there ever been completely unrestricted race classes?

TYEster
06-08-2011, 06:24 PM
IMO there should be NO restrictions. Save the rules for the superbike level.

I'd rather my sport keep the restrictions to the customer based level vs the unobtainum. We already can't buy GP bikes(realistically), so I think it would provide more sport/entertainment to see such an awesome level of technology and advancement.

Particle Man
06-08-2011, 09:01 PM
Poll fail. There's no "Fuck No" option.

smileyman
06-09-2011, 09:24 AM
Are there, or have there ever been completely unrestricted race classes?

Not completely but GP has always been kinda wide open...Then there was the 80's AMA when they were running GP 2 strokes against nitrous powered GSXRs and wild creations with almost no rules...

fujimoh
06-10-2011, 08:11 AM
DMG and AMA should be a lesson to us all. We need an unrestricted class. I would like to see a return to 2 strokes! What a series it would be with bikes running 750 to 1k two strokes! I'd watch that

Trip
06-10-2011, 08:20 AM
Moto GP is for prototypes, if you want to watch racing watch superbike.

fujimoh
06-11-2011, 07:30 PM
I would like to watch Simoncelli ride thru the field on a 750 two stroke

fasternyou929
06-15-2011, 02:21 PM
What kills MotoGP, IMHO, is "satellite" team racing. It's stupid to send two Ducatis and 3 or four Hondas and a couple of Yamahas out there on CLEARLY inferior bikes (often with engines and frames that are a season or two old) and then call it "racing."

It's NOT a competition if it's rigged so that only 3 or 4 bikes have a legimate chance to win and the other riders are just out there to "fill out" (though it's embarrassing to say that for MotoGP with only 17 riders when everyone is healthy) the grid.

Honda and Ducati and Yamaha should send everyone out on "factory" bikes.....no glaring technology gaps within the same brand.....you ride for Yamaha, you get the best Yamaha prototype available....same as Honda and Ducati....best rider wins. I honestly don't know how they talk kids into leaving Moto2 or WSB to go ride a bike that they KNOW has NO chance to win in MotoGP.

I think that ridding the field of all the electronic aids would be a HUGE step in the right direction too. What seperates the winners from the losers? The size of their balls and their skill on 2 wheels....not how good their ECU engineer in Japan is.

Agreed. I only started watching racing a couple years ago and the whole "satellite" concept just didn't make sense. Fast forward a couple years and I'm already guilty of just thinking "that's the way it is" and knowing a rookie (not allowed to ride a factory bike unless you have GP or Moto 2 experience) doesn't have a chance in hell of winning. Same as most of the grid.

anthonyk
06-15-2011, 04:06 PM
Agreed. I only started watching racing a couple years ago and the whole "satellite" concept just didn't make sense. Fast forward a couple years and I'm already guilty of just thinking "that's the way it is" and knowing a rookie (not allowed to ride a factory bike unless you have GP or Moto 2 experience) doesn't have a chance in hell of winning. Same as most of the grid.

True, but it does give the factories the opportunity to see who the "best of the rest" is, letting them recruit without having to wonder how that rider will perform on a MotoGP bike.

Plus we can all smile when someone puts a Tech3 bike on the podium once a year or so. :lol:

tkarint
06-17-2011, 05:54 AM
"...we can all smile when someone puts a Tech3 bike on the podium once a year or so"

Can't agree with you more :D or if like say kyle busch were to sell the nascar experience (http://www.racingadventure.com/)