PDA

View Full Version : F**k!! Bike won't start

Phenix_Rider
07-14-2008, 08:03 AM
Gauges sweep, fuel pump primes, starter cranks fine. No FI light. About 150 miles on the tank, so it has fuel. I had to let it sit and take the truck to get to work. Rode about 300 miles saturday, and it rained all day on and off sunday so I didn't ride. Best I can figure is that last fuel stop was shitty stuff- a Speedy Meedys. So I poured a little Sheetz stuff in from the lawnmower can (I filled it about a weak ago, so it's fairly fresh). Didn't help.

Guess I'm tearing the airbox off to clean the filter and pull the plugs when I get home. Maybe get some seafoam or injector cleaner on the way. I'm looking at a parts diagram for the fuel pump/tank, and it doesn't show it, but there must be a fuel filter. Figure I'll change that if I can get to it.

This is the first time I've had any trouble with the bike. It's always started the first time I pressed the starter with no hesitation. Nearly 13,000 miles on it now- I was planning to do most of this when I do the valves at 15k. Just pisses me off that it ran perfect over the weekend, even yesterday to move it out of the way. It's stored inside, so that's not a problem- no leaves or critters to wreak havok.

:sign::tremble:

Trip
07-14-2008, 08:10 AM
Is it even trying to turn over?

Did you make sure you werent doing something stupid like leaving the kickstand down?

Phenix_Rider
07-14-2008, 08:16 AM
Is it even trying to turn over?

Did you make sure you werent doing something stupid like leaving the kickstand down?

haha- no I know all about that. If any of the interlocks cut in, it won't even crank. It's spinning up, and I get popping/chuffing from the exhaust. It's just lighting off properly.

Cutty72
07-14-2008, 01:04 PM
check the plugs me thinks.

fnfalman
07-14-2008, 06:40 PM
I'd also say check the spark plugs and see what's going on. 13,000-miles is a lot for a spark plug.

Cutty72
07-14-2008, 06:42 PM
check the plugs me thinks.

I'd also say check the spark plugs and see what's going on. 13,000-miles is a lot for a spark plug.

:whistle: :idk:

Phenix_Rider
07-14-2008, 07:56 PM
Well, it turned out to be something dumb after all. I was thinking about what I had to tear apart all day. Got home, went straight to work on it. Took off the seat, unbolted the rear of the tank, started to take the side covers off. Dad's there to help unplug the fuel lines, to try not to spill the gallon or so of fuel that's in it. He rests his hand on the throttle and up comes a light bulb.

Not once have I ever had to crack the throttle to get it to start. This time, that's all it takes. He held the throttle open a hair, I hit the starter and it started with some hesitation, then revved free. Shut it down, bolted the tank back down, locked the seat in place, and moved the tool box. Started right up after dinner and took it for a ride. I took it out and ran it up the tach in the first three gears to get things nice and warm. It won't do the ton in first, but well before redline in third. :whistle:

Looks like the plugs fouled slightly from the short run time sunday when I moved it out of the garage. Just needed a little more air and fuel to light off. Never been a problem before. I figure it was a little pissy at me for not taking it out sunday after doing 300 miles saturday. :lol:

Dnyce
07-15-2008, 05:40 PM
sounds like u had a brain fart lol

still, 13000miles on plugs is a long time. change em. i usually change plugs when i change oil...actually, theres no law that says you gotta wait til 15k to do the valves either. 13k is close enough

Phenix_Rider
07-15-2008, 08:20 PM
sounds like u had a brain fart lol

still, 13000miles on plugs is a long time. change em. i usually change plugs when i change oil...actually, theres no law that says you gotta wait til 15k to do the valves either. 13k is close enough

I change oil every 3k. I couldn't believe it, but the periodic maintenance chart says to change the plugs every time you change the oil- 600, 7500, 15k, 24k, 30k. Bullshit. I won't let an engine go that long on old oil, and I'm not changing plugs that often when I have to tear off the tank and airbox to get to them. Especially not at $7 each, and the fuel mileage and performance hasn't changed.

When I do the valves in another 2k, I'll change the oil and plugs and possibly the air filter. Adjust the chain and maybe swap brake pads and bleed them too. Probably take it to a riding buddy's house, and have a garage party. :lol: Figure take one day of a weekend to do everything.

Dnyce
07-16-2008, 01:13 AM
true, plugs last longer than 3k. sounds like u got a big day ahead of u, hopefully when u check the valves, theyre still in spec. that alone will make the day go by faster

Phenix_Rider
07-16-2008, 08:03 AM
true, plugs last longer than 3k. sounds like u got a big day ahead of u, hopefully when u check the valves, they're still in spec. that alone will make the day go by faster

Yeah- that's why I plan to have someone there that's done it before. Doesn't look too difficult, but there's always some little detail that's a pain.