PDA

View Full Version : Gear + your passengers

neebelung
07-14-2008, 08:38 AM
All too often, we see sportbike riders who are mostly-to-fully geared (right down to good boots and a top-notch helmet), riding with a passenger who either has NO gear, or helmet only (more often than not they're in shorts, tank top, flip flops and sunglasses though). Now I know, they're hot, so the rider wants to show them off.... but (as we often say) road rash isn't hot, so if you care about your passenger, get her some gear! (or make her buy her own!)

A fatality here in Jax on this morning's news has me thinking about this... it was 2 cars versus motorcycle; rider is apparently okay, but passenger died. When they showed the bike, it was upright and looked fine, and the rider's helmet and jacket were placed on the bike (intact)... so I have to wonder what gear (if any) was the passenger wearing (or was he/she fully geared, and just thrown from the bike :shrug: )?

So what about you - do you require your passengers to wear gear? Helmet only? Or don't give it so much as a thought?

(poll will be private, so answer as honestly as you wish).

Rider
07-14-2008, 08:41 AM
I dont ride with passengers...

papapoi
07-14-2008, 09:39 AM
no one rides bitch with me. they can buy there own bike.

z06boy
07-14-2008, 09:44 AM
I ride the R1 and the wife rides the R6 mostly and we don't carry passengers.

IF we ever do ride a passenger...they have to wear a helmet because that's the law but as far as the rest...it's their call but I'd prefer them to wear gear.

Dnyce
07-14-2008, 10:30 AM
depends how long the trip is, but they wear what i wear.

just the other day i went somewhere, on the way back she was like "its way too hot 4 that jacket" and i told her you're wearing the jacket or you're walking lol

fnfalman
07-14-2008, 10:31 AM
I got a medium brain bucket (HJC or some shit like that), a spare set of small gloves (plus my regular medium gloves), and a Joe Rocket medium textile jacket that a chick can use. If it doesn't fit her perfectly then tough titties. I don't wanna take passenger anyway.

Phenix_Rider
07-14-2008, 10:42 AM
I haven't taken a passenger yet, but when/if I do, they'll wear at least as much as I am. Bare minimum would be heavy denim jacket, leather gloves, leather boots, jeans and a helmet.

FT BSTRD
07-14-2008, 10:50 AM
Love my wife. Love her best with skin on.

Lid, gloves, armored jacket, over the ankle boots, jeans.

Veritable gear nazi, I am.

neebelung
07-14-2008, 11:13 AM
Love my wife. Love her best with skin on.

Well said. :D

NONE_too_SOFT
07-14-2008, 11:42 AM
i dont ask people to ride with me. But if somebody asks me and i feel like taking somebody for a stroll i'll offer to swimg by with a spare helmet and jacket if they want it. If they want to go NOW, fine. Take a few bugs to the face at sixty and get back to me about it.

I dont ride hard with a meatbag on the spare bucket, so typically im not worried about crashing. Guardrails cant get me unless i'm willing to spit in their face. other drivers? well that'd be a tragedy, but so is children starving in africa. I dont do anything about that either.

neebelung
07-14-2008, 11:51 AM
I dont ride hard with a meatbag on the spare bucket...

:dvrofl:

Cutty72
07-14-2008, 12:50 PM
comonboys doesn't like the pass seat on Vader, so no worries there (and she has her own)
Any others... well, for sure pants and shoes, preferably a helmet and jacket too.
But I'm not too worried about it, can't remember the last time the solo cowl came off Vader.

Dave
07-14-2008, 05:49 PM
heh usually my pass wears as much or more than i do. im chivalrous with my jackets, did buy my girl her own joe rocket mesh and matching gloves though. she worked a deal to have her uncle give her money for a lid she likes and i offered to pay the difference for a higher end model :)

Audiomechanic
07-14-2008, 06:33 PM
Don't have true gear for the little lady, but I don't let her on the bike without boots, jeans, a pretty thick jean jacket, and my spare full face lid.

BTW, no poll is complete without a "Tater's whore of an Ex wife" option. Where's the whore?

t-homo
07-14-2008, 06:33 PM
I haven't had a passenger yet, but when I do it will be helmet jacket and gloves for sure.

Cutty72
07-14-2008, 06:34 PM
Don't have true gear for the little lady, but I don't let her on the bike without boots, jeans, a pretty thick jean jacket, and my spare full face lid.

BTW, no poll is complete without a "Tater's whore of an Ex wife" option. Where's the whore?

speaking of... where's tater been?:idk:

FT BSTRD
07-14-2008, 07:27 PM
I dont ride hard with a meatbag on the spare bucket,

I'm pretty sure "ride hard" and "meatbag" shouldn't be in the same sentence.

Ever.

OneSickPsycho
07-14-2008, 11:29 PM
I'm pretty sure "ride hard" and "meatbag" shouldn't be in the same sentence.

Ever.

Actually I was thinking it was perfect.

Audiomechanic
07-15-2008, 11:38 AM
speaking of... where's tater been?:idk:

:idk: no clue. Guess he feels intimidated by the massive jailbate stash in the Dark Alley.

itgirl
07-15-2008, 03:30 PM
so far the only passenger i haul regularly is my 9 yo daughter, and you can damn sure bet she is all geared up. i plan on having her around for a very long time.

PhiSig1071
07-17-2008, 07:51 PM
You've seen me with a passenger, so you know my answer ATGATT! They're wearing as much gear as I am or they're not on the bike! (And yes I have a complete set of passenger gear)

MikeSP1
07-17-2008, 08:15 PM
I've got two bikes and I ride both of them pretty hard. The cruiser is passenger capable, the RC is not (and was not designed with passengers in mind). I haven't had a passenger in over a year and half, and everyone I care to ride with already has their own bike so I don't need to worry about it.

Pretty much boils down to this, I am proficient enough to take a passenger who knows what they're doing (ie one thats smart enough to gear up). But generally I have absolutely NO desire to take another passenger (unless necessary), just too much to worry about. I'd rather concentrate on enjoying the ride and the company of those that I have the privelege of riding with.

BobTheBiker
07-17-2008, 09:05 PM
as much gear as they have. helmet+jacket minimum or NO RIDE. full leathers are ideal, but not absolutely freakin required.

Dnyce
07-18-2008, 12:17 AM
the RC is not (and was not designed with passengers in mind).

isnt that a rear seat on the rc in your avater? is that a 954 tail?

PiZdETS
07-18-2008, 04:55 AM
I dont ride with passengers. A girlfriend could hypothetically change this but probably not. I keep the rear seat cowl on full time and the passenger pegs were removed when I bought them so I'd have to buy a set. Screw that.

MikeSP1
07-18-2008, 05:00 PM
isnt that a rear seat on the rc in your avater? is that a 954 tail?

It is a rear seat, but no matter if you ride an RC30, 45, or 51, it was never truly designed as a passenger bike. Only reason I rock a rear seat is because I don't have a cowl yet. And the tail is stock, just abused.

Dnyce
07-18-2008, 05:26 PM
It is a rear seat, but no matter if you ride an RC30, 45, or 51, it was never truly designed as a passenger bike. Only reason I rock a rear seat is because I don't have a cowl yet. And the tail is stock, just abused.

my bad, didnt know they came with seats. thats the 1st one i seen with a seat honestly

Smittie61984
07-18-2008, 06:50 PM
I rarely ride passengers. Infact I hadn't had a passenger since I started riding which was before gear. The one girl I did ride for more than a neighborhood had her own Joe Rocket Textile and HJC helmet since her ex use to ride. And I believe she had some girly mechanics gloves. But both of us in Blue Jeans.

Yesterday I saw some joker on a F4i who I think could barely ride himself. Shifted horrible, all over the road, etc. Anyways on the back was this cute little tanne girl who had to be between 16-18 and probably weighed 100lbs at the most (She looked short). She had on cheerleader shorts, spaghetti strap, decent helmet, and a Hello Kitty backpack. I thought she was going to look real cute skidding across the road.

But I really didn't want to see those two skididng across the road so I got ahead of them since I didn't feel like scraping them up.

Also I do get weird looks from the non-geared crowd (90% of the people here) when it's 100degrees and I am in a black motorcycle jacket, full gloves, boots, full face helmet, and blue jeans (At the least). If I pull up next to them at a stop light I'll see them scan me up and down. Then I scan them up and down and say "Nice Abercrombie Gear". I get really weird looks when I'm in full leathers looking like a Power Ranger on a 100degree 90% humidity no wind day in bumper to bumper traffic.

MikeSP1
07-18-2008, 11:19 PM
my bad, didnt know they came with seats. thats the 1st one i seen with a seat honestly

Not a prob.

dReWpY
07-19-2008, 01:22 AM
yeah imagine a piece of paper folder in half you have the size and thickness of the rear seat

MikeSP1
07-19-2008, 11:25 AM
Drewpy, are you on speedzilla yet?

ceo012384
07-19-2008, 01:54 PM
I rarely have passengers, but if I do, no fucking way would they got on my bike without at least a jacket, lid, jeans, and gloves.

And if that IS all they're wearing, I'm going to ride accordingly, aka like a huge pussy.

If they have full leathers, I'll wick the pace up a bit.

Cutty72
07-21-2008, 10:54 PM
yeah imagine a piece of paper folder in half you have the size and thickness of the rear seat

so similar to that of the 1125R then.

comonboys
07-21-2008, 11:13 PM
so similar to that of the 1125R then.

This does really feel like riding on a 2 x 4 with it shoving up your ass. It's so uncomfortable that I will not complain not riding with you.....

t-homo
07-22-2008, 02:01 AM
This does really feel like riding on a 2 x 4 with it shoving up your ass. It's so uncomfortable that I will not complain not riding with you.....

and how would you know what that feels like?

comonboys
07-22-2008, 11:25 PM
and how would you know what that feels like?

I really don't know what a 2 x 4 feels like. i m just saying that bike is so damn uncomfortable

OneSickPsycho
07-23-2008, 12:10 AM
I really don't know what a 2 x 4 feels like. i m just saying that bike is so damn uncomfortable

Damn... for a minute I thought Cutty was THE MAN!

t-homo
07-23-2008, 12:42 AM

no joke.

WildKat
07-23-2008, 11:47 AM
If you're riding with me you need a helmet, jeans, boots, and jacket. Very least is minus the gloves but that's pushing it. Since my wife is the only one riding with me she knows to be safe anyways.

Cutty72
07-23-2008, 06:23 PM

:cry: :leaving:

comonboys
07-23-2008, 07:16 PM
:cry: :leaving:

Well, yes comparable to a 2x4. up the ass not so much.......