PDA

View Full Version : Cousin loses leg in motorcycle wreck

Captain Morgan
07-15-2008, 11:49 AM
My cousin and her husband were riding to Yellowstone when they were hit headon by a pickup truck. The elderly guy driving the truck fell asleep at the wheel after driving all night from Reno, NV. He swerved into the oncoming lane, barely missing the people riding with my cousin. My cousin's husband was killed instantly. My cousin survived but her left leg had to be amputated just above the knee. She has MANY broken bones. I don't have the full story and can't find it online, but here are some pics.

the chi
07-15-2008, 11:52 AM
OMG, Cap, I am so so sorry. This brought tears to my eyes. Your poor family, my condolences to you all on your loss, and best wishes for an uneventful and speedy recovery to your cousin.

OneSickPsycho
07-15-2008, 12:11 PM
Motherfuckers. Sorry to hear about your cousin... what's the prognosis?

Rider
07-15-2008, 12:29 PM
Holy shit!!! Man that sucks. Hang in there man, our thoughts are with you and your family.

NeonspeedRT
07-15-2008, 12:30 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that man. My thoughts and prayers go out to your cousin and your family.

6doublefive321
07-15-2008, 12:51 PM
Sorry for the accident. Keep us posted on how your cousin is doing both physically and mentally. I can't begin to imagine what she is going through.

BobTheBiker
07-15-2008, 01:00 PM
WOW! I'm so sorry to hear this happened. I'll be praying for her speedy recovery.

Gas Man
07-15-2008, 02:24 PM
Holy Crap Capt... My family will pray for you and yours. That is just aew struckin. Keep us advised.

fpzx10
07-15-2008, 03:04 PM
Damn, that's terrible. Hang in there Cap, and best wishes to your cousin

dReWpY
07-15-2008, 03:16 PM
Best wishes, and damn that sucks

itgirl
07-15-2008, 03:21 PM
jesus cap'n! i am sooo sorry to hear that! like everyone else above me, you are in my thoughts (as is your family).

fnfalman
07-15-2008, 03:50 PM
I'm very sorry to hear that, Capt. That SOB need to be hung!!!

Mr Lefty
07-15-2008, 04:19 PM
Damn Capt... I'm sorry... hope your cousin recovers as well as can be expected.

I'd love to jump all over the guy that fell asleep... but truth be told I've done the drive all night thing too... I like to think I stop before I get bad enough to completely pass out... but that's probably just me trying to justafy it. in the end... driving on no sleep is as bad as drinking and driving... your reaction time, judgement, and coordination are all greatly reduced...

anyways, again I'm sorry
Hope things get better from here out.

rider76
07-15-2008, 04:23 PM
Sorry to hear it man.... They need to charge that old man with a number of felonies!!!

DLIT
07-15-2008, 04:46 PM
Sorry to hear that, man.

MikeSP1
07-15-2008, 05:09 PM
I hope your cousin recovers soon. It's gonna be hard though, that's a lot of pain to have to absorb both mentally and physically.

Becca_007
07-15-2008, 05:46 PM
Thoughts go out to your family and your cousin who has a lot of physical as well as emotional shit to deal with.

Carolina
07-15-2008, 07:30 PM
I'm very sorry to hear that, Capt. That SOB need to be hung!!!

sorry dude, wow that bike was a mess

2FURYUS
07-15-2008, 10:50 PM
Holy shyt! Sorry for your loss. Thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

Crazy
07-15-2008, 11:21 PM
very sorry to hear that... hope that man gets what he deserves.

Dave
07-15-2008, 11:45 PM
jesus dude, anything we can do? donations or ?

Captain Morgan
07-16-2008, 03:29 AM
Thanks for the kind comments. I don't have much info. They live near Wichita and I don't see them very often at all. This happened a little over a week ago, but it took awhile to get pics.

Debbie's husband was retired military, so the military took care of flying her back to Wichita. The old guy's fucking insurance company tried to give her a flat amount for her husband's death and a flat amount for her medical bills. They were going to make her pay for her own flight back, which was going to be between 5 and 10 grand because it was a medical flight. She was obviously smart enough to get a lawyer and tell the insurance company to eat a dick. It will probably be awhile before she gets anything, but no amount of money can make up for the loss of your spouse or your leg.

They had to amputate her leg because she had no calf muscle left and the lower leg was shattered.

You can see the wheel from the truck jammed up in that mess of a motorcycle.

I'll post up more info when I get it.

z06boy
07-16-2008, 08:36 AM
Wow !!:sorry: Hate to hear stories like this that damper the fun and enjoyment of motorcycle riding. Thoughts are definitely with your cousin and family...that really sucks.

I was in a pretty bad accident a few years back and I remember them telling me they were going to amputate my left leg just below the knee...talk about getting hit with a ton of bricks !! Luckily for me they decided to attempt to save it with several surgeries/skin graphs etc.... and did...even though I still have issues with the leg...ankle and foot.

On a positive note though...stories like this make me realize how lucky I was regardless...mainly because I was riding solo...my wife (then GF) was at work and was supposed to be with me but wasn't. I didn't lose a loved one in the process like you cousin...man I hate to think what she's going to have to go through. http://www.twowheelfix.com/images/smilies/frown.gif

rider76
07-16-2008, 02:00 PM
Fucking insurance companies are some heartless bastards... Hope she gets everything she deserves in the settlement

Gas Man
07-17-2008, 03:06 AM
Capt... does she need anything. I know a few people in Witchita... one person who is very well known in the area. Could have some bikers get her some flowers, or whatever. Let me know... I will call in a few favors. They are bikers so they understand.

NONE_too_SOFT
07-17-2008, 06:32 AM
Jesus. Elderly, teenagers, drunks... So many people out there dont appreciate their privilege to drive.

Hope she has a speedy recovery, and you and yours can get through this okay.

LaFemmes
07-17-2008, 06:55 AM
Im so very sorry to hear.:(
Rip to her husband, I sure hope she gets better soon.
Damn those cagers who drive tired!!:mad:

Rembrant
07-17-2009, 08:03 PM
I just wanted to offer you my condolences Cap, and wish your cousin a good recovery from this tragidy.

Sixxxxer
07-17-2009, 08:09 PM
Wow...May her Husband RIP and My Condolences to you and your Family...as well as your Cousin...

The picture of the bike is absolutely chilling.

G-Rex
07-17-2009, 08:15 PM
Holy old thread batman. First time I've seen it though.

Those pictures make my heart drop. I can't even imagine. I hope your family has made some amount of peace with everything that happened.

shmike
07-17-2009, 08:16 PM
Holy shit, what a tragic story. :(

RIP to her husband.

This thread is almost exactly a year old.

Do you have any updates on your cousin? How has she handled the changes in her life?

Sixxxxer
07-17-2009, 08:17 PM
Hahah wow I didnt even look that it was from 08'

I saw 7/15 and was like oh its not that old...

Can we get an update though??

Rider
07-17-2009, 08:18 PM
Hahah wow I didnt even look that it was from 08'

I saw 7/15 and was like oh its not that old...

Can we get an update though??

Good luck, Avery doesn't come around much anymore.

Ducati Diva
07-17-2009, 09:25 PM
Wow just wow! I am so sorry to hear of the loss to your family. Your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. As said above if there is anything we can do please let us know. A donation fund can be set up with ltl problem if that would help the family. IDK what I could find out but I have friends working in Yellowstone and could try to get more info if you need.

MILK
07-18-2009, 11:08 AM
Holy old thread batman. First time I've seen it though.

Those pictures make my heart drop. I can't even imagine. I hope your family has made some amount of peace with everything that happened.

I wasn't here last year when this was posted. Looking at those pictures made me cry. RIP to her husband and I hope her recovery progress has been good since the accident.