PDA

View Full Version : Factory pro v-stack install and mini review

Dave
07-15-2008, 06:19 PM
came home from work today to find this lovely little box just chillin on my doorstep

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b369/Khajjathefang/0715081625.jpg

open her up and inside are my new shorter stacks and a couple of stickers

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b369/Khajjathefang/0715081625a.jpg

quick inspection reveals that these guys are made from the same quality plastic as the factory ones, sweet. looking a little closer i can see where someone hand sanded off any trace of casting flash. good, attention to quality is hard to find sometimes now lets go compare them to the stockers

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b369/Khajjathefang/0715081643.jpg

good lawd! are those intakes or the business end of a pipe organ? these guys are held in place by three screws and its a gasketless design. should be easy but you know how that one goes :whistle: 4 out of 6 screws were extra loose, yikes! of course, the hard to reach ones in the back are on gorilla tight...fuckers...some wd40 later and we get em out nice and easy. now we can do a nice side by side comparo

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b369/Khajjathefang/0715081658.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b369/Khajjathefang/0715081658a.jpg

signifigant differences here, the FP stacks are shorter so they ought to move the meat of the powerband further up the rev range. sounds good to me, but wait! look at the #4 stack from the stockers! half the damn trumpet is missing cause of clearance issues with the stock airbox. looks like my honda came stock with only about 3 1/2 cylinders worth of airflow.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b369/Khajjathefang/0715081724.jpg

new guys in, nice and tight. bolt everything back together...check my work and its time for a test ride...woohooo! first impressions, the motor is running smoother...lots smoother, and shes feeling more powerful everywhere as well, specially on top! best part though is the sound, its subtle but shes taken on a more even scream under throttle, sounds ferocious, gotta be cause the stacks are even height. huge grins all around. anyway, in summary:

price: $200 shipped...decent
fit and finish.............excellent
power increase..........good
sound change............awesome
bling.........................minimal
install time.................15 minutes
satisfaction................lots

great mod, i'd highly recomend it to just about anyone. well, with a 954 anyway. results may differ with other bikes :dthumb:

t-homo
07-15-2008, 06:58 PM
Explain velocity stacks to me. What difference would the height make on them? Either way, isn't the same amount of air going to go through the filter and into the engine??

Dave
07-15-2008, 09:53 PM
Explain velocity stacks to me. What difference would the height make on them? Either way, isn't the same amount of air going to go through the filter and into the engine??

i started trying to explain it but my words suck, this article i found however does an excellent job of putting things in laymans terms.

The intake system on a four-stroke car engine has one main goal, to get as much air-fuel mixture into the cylinder as possible. One way to help the intake is by tuning the lengths of the pipes.

When the intake valve is open on the engine, air is being sucked into the engine, so the air in the intake runner is moving rapidly toward the cylinder. When the intake valve closes suddenly, this air slams to a stop and stacks up on itself, forming an area of high pressure. This high-pressure wave makes its way up the intake runner away from the cylinder. When it reaches the end of the intake runner, where the runner connects to the intake manifold, the pressure wave bounces back down the intake runner.

If the intake runner is just the right length, that pressure wave will arrive back at the intake valve just as it opens for the next cycle. This extra pressure helps cram more air-fuel mix into the cylinder -- effectively acting like a turbocharger.

The problem with this technique is that it only provides a benefit in a fairly narrow speed range. The pressure wave travels at the speed of sound (which depends on the density of the air) down the intake runner. The speed will vary a little bit depending on the temperature of the air and the speed it is moving, but a good guess for the speed of sound would be 1,300 feet per second (fps). Let's try to get an idea how long the intake runner would have to be to take advantage of this effect.

Let's say the engine is running at 5,000 rpm. The intake valve opens once every two revolutions (720 degrees), but let's say they stay open for 250 degrees. That means that there are 470 degrees between when the intake valve closes and when it opens again. At 5,000 rpm it will take the engine 0.012 seconds to turn one revolution, and 470 degrees is about 1.31 revolutions, so it takes 0.0156 seconds between when the valve closes and when it opens again. At 1,300 fps multiplied by 0.0156 seconds, the pressure wave would travel about 20 feet. But, since must go up the intake runner and then come back, the intake runner would only have to be half this length or about 10 feet.

Two things become apparent after doing this calculation:

1. The tuning of the intake runner will only have an effect in a fairly narrow RPM range. If we redo the calculation at 3,000 rpm, the length calculated would be completely different.
2. Ten feet is too long. You can't fit pipes that long under the hood of a car very easily.

There is not too much that can be done about the first problem. A tuned intake has its main benefit in a very narrow speed range. But there is a way to shorten the intake runners and still get some benefit from the pressure wave. If we shorten the intake runner length by a factor of four, making it 2.5 feet, the pressure wave will travel up and down the pipe four times before the intake valve opens again. But it still arrives at the valve at the right time.

There are a lot of intricacies and tricks to intake systems. For instance, it is beneficial to have the intake air moving as fast as possible into the cylinders. This increases the turbulence and mixes the fuel with the air better. One way to increase the air velocity is to use a smaller diameter intake runner. Since roughly the same volume of air enters the cylinder each cycle, if you pump that air through a smaller diameter pipe it will have to go faster.

The downside to using smaller diameter intake runners is that at high engine speeds when lots of air is going through the pipes, the restriction from the smaller diameter may inhibit airflow. So for the large airflows at higher speeds it is better to have large diameter pipes. Some carmakers attempt to get the best of both worlds by using dual intake runners for each cylinder -- one with a small diameter and one with a large diameter. They use a butterfly valve to close off the large diameter runner at lower engine speeds where the narrow runner can help performance. Then the valve opens up at higher engine speeds to reduce the intake restriction, increasing the top end power output.

Dave
07-15-2008, 11:25 PM
interesting, i kinda expected more responses and maybe a discussion, eh whatever. i know you guys are more into software upgrades than hardware ones. still, im planning to finish the exhaust, add an air filter and a pcIII and have the whole thing tuned by ricky. should be fun getting there ;)

t-homo
07-16-2008, 12:36 AM
Thanks a ton man. Sounds pretty interesting.

Dnyce
07-16-2008, 01:03 AM
i run stacks, stacks are great to tune with...

not much to discuss tho, easy install, pretty straightforward explanation...u left no room for discussion lol, it was too gd. ill ask this tho-is the engine offset in the frame? seems like if u had to cut one for clearance, the other one should have to be cut too. oh yea, does the opening in the base of yours perfectly match the opening of the intake?

as far as stacks in general-whats with 2 of the stacks being longer? i see some guys put the short ones on the inside, other guys put the long ones on the inside. doesnt apply to your 954 cuz they are equal height, but most stack kits ive seen are like that.

Gas Man
07-16-2008, 02:32 AM
Remember boys...

your motor is nothing more than a big air pump.

air/fuel in
air out

The quicker you can get the air in and out, the more power you can make.

Simple.

Dave
07-16-2008, 07:51 AM
i run stacks, stacks are great to tune with...

not much to discuss tho, easy install, pretty straightforward explanation...u left no room for discussion lol, it was too gd. ill ask this tho-is the engine offset in the frame? seems like if u had to cut one for clearance, the other one should have to be cut too. oh yea, does the opening in the base of yours perfectly match the opening of the intake?

as far as stacks in general-whats with 2 of the stacks being longer? i see some guys put the short ones on the inside, other guys put the long ones on the inside. doesnt apply to your 954 cuz they are equal height, but most stack kits ive seen are like that.

2 long 2 short is a comprimise designed to stretch the powerband wider at the expense of overall power. two tuned for mid and two for high. as for the slash on the stockers, i didnt cut them thats how they came from honda. not sure why they did it though. and the fp stacks perfectly match the stockers from flange down :dthumb:

z06boy
07-16-2008, 09:20 AM
Kinda funny to see this thread. I was just looking at velocity stacks for the
R1 lastnight after receiving a new parts catalog in the mail.

I just installed different exhaust last weekend and am planning to add a BMC filter and a PCIII and wondered if these stacks would help any. I'll research it on the R1 forum first but am interested...thanks for posting.

Dave
07-16-2008, 09:30 AM
hey no prob man. not sure its gonna help you any though, im pretty sure the r1 went to a variable length system in 05. Def check it out before you buy anything, gl!

OneSickPsycho
07-16-2008, 10:05 AM
So how narrow of an RPM range is affected?

Dave
07-16-2008, 10:32 AM
With the way this bike moves i almost never look at the tach when im on it. Ill be able to answer this one better after i have it tuned at gadsons. at least then i'll have dyno sheets for specifics

OneSickPsycho
07-16-2008, 11:03 AM
Doesn't the manufacturer give you some idea?

Dave
07-16-2008, 01:46 PM
not that i know of, if i had to guess is say the real hit is between 9 and 12k

6doublefive321
07-16-2008, 02:09 PM
I would imagine with the drastic cut in length, you would have a noticeable drop down low. Is this the case?

Dave
07-16-2008, 03:17 PM
actually no, like i said it feels good everywhere. my guess is that with more space between the top of the airbox that there were more gains besides just moving the powerband. might just be that #4 now has a properly shaped funnel. no idea

z06boy
07-16-2008, 03:53 PM
hey no prob man. not sure its gonna help you any though, im pretty sure the r1 went to a variable length system in 05. Def check it out before you buy anything, gl!

I was considering a different brand that has them specifically for my bike. I had never even cosidered stacks until lastnight and then today I see this thread. :yes:

Dave
07-16-2008, 04:19 PM
ahh, gotcha

Cutty72
07-16-2008, 11:44 PM
my bike no have stacks...

good write up tho!

Dave
07-17-2008, 12:04 AM
my bike no have stacks...

good write up tho!

oughta have 2 actually ;) dont make me pull up the airbox schematics and check :whistle:

z06boy
07-17-2008, 12:30 PM

...after further review...looking at Factory Pro's website I don't see them listed for R6's after 2005 or for R1's after 2006. :idk:

I think the catalog I was looking at them in had a misprint...it listed through 07 but that has to be wrong.:panic:

t-homo
07-17-2008, 02:31 PM
...after further review...looking at Factory Pro's website I don't see them listed for R6's after 2005 or for R1's after 2006. :idk:

I think the catalog I was looking at them in had a misprint...it listed through 07 but that has to be wrong.:panic:

Possibly still being fine tuned. They don't come out with them immediately I doubt.

Dnyce
07-17-2008, 05:46 PM
Possibly still being fine tuned. They don't come out with them immediately I doubt.

for bikes with variable length stacks, it would be a step backwards. =variable length means the shit changes according to throttle position and such. all that electronic goodness.

on those bikes id assume the ability to adjust how and when they change length would be a key point.

Dave
07-17-2008, 06:45 PM
right, id be looking for a controller of some kind. not likely to exist though :(

Dnyce
07-17-2008, 07:00 PM
right, id be looking for a controller of some kind. not likely to exist though :(

get mr. adams on it

Cutty72
07-17-2008, 07:05 PM
oughta have 2 actually ;) dont make me pull up the airbox schematics and check :whistle:

:idk: i see no stacks... just two big as butterfly valves... no wonder he's so thirsty...

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa150/Cutty72/1125R/1125rnew006.jpg

Dnyce
07-17-2008, 07:09 PM
your stacks arent removeable, it seems the throttle body and stack is one piece.

Cutty72
07-17-2008, 07:10 PM
your stacks arent removeable, it seems the throttle body and stack is one piece.

Fair enough.

All I know is when i open the throttle, it sounds like my nuts are gonna get sucked in!

Dnyce
07-17-2008, 07:14 PM
All I know is when i open the throttle, it sounds like my nuts are gonna get sucked in!

so your buell wants to blow u?
hmmm...buells blow....
:whistle:

lol j/k

Cutty72
07-17-2008, 07:19 PM
so your buell wants to blow u?
hmmm...buells blow....
:whistle:

lol j/k

nope, it wants to suck me

and it must be doing something right, cause it gives me a hardon every time i ride it!

:kawi:

Dnyce
07-17-2008, 11:30 PM
nope, it wants to suck me

and it must be doing something right, cause it gives me a hardon every time i ride it!

:kawi:

:lol:

hey do those to big ram air things feed into each thottle body separately, or do they both feed into the airbox to both at the same time?

Cutty72
07-17-2008, 11:34 PM
:lol:

hey do those to big ram air things feed into each thottle body separately, or do they both feed into the airbox to both at the same time?

by "big ram air thingys" I assume you are talking about the pods on the side.
If so, no. They don't feed into the airbox at all. They are cowls to force the air across the parallel mounted radiators for increased cooling.

The ram air duct is center mounted behind the fork. It's not a straight shot into the airbox however, so probably not too helpful.

I removed the inner airbox cover, didn't make a difference in power, but it sounds way cooler now!

Dnyce
07-18-2008, 12:07 AM
i said things, not thingys. jeez, making me sound like a dumb blonde

must run hot to need all that air eh? seems like they would use one for cooling, one for intake, as big as they are

Cutty72
07-18-2008, 12:10 AM
i said things, not thingys. jeez, making me sound like a dumb blonde

must run hot to need all that air eh? seems like they would use one for cooling, one for intake, as big as they are

2 radiators, one on each side
Yes it runs hot. 90 deg day, it's 215 + stop and go.
90 deg day, 190ish on the highway

Dnyce
07-18-2008, 12:14 AM
damn-must make cold weather riding easy

dReWpY
07-18-2008, 01:47 AM
yeah having a build in heater is nice

Dave
07-18-2008, 03:17 AM
wow made it to page 3 before we went o/t. i think thats a record for this site :D

Cutty72
07-22-2008, 09:54 PM
damn-must make cold weather riding easy

yeah having a build in heater is nice

yup, most definatly.