PDA

View Full Version : My Gas Cap Won't Unlock

Becca_007
07-16-2008, 03:58 PM
Has this happened to anyone else? I know a couple of times it was real hard to get it to open but right now it will not budge. It's almost like I'm putting the wrong key in the hole. Thought I'd be smart and removed the bolts that appeared to be holding it in place, but that won't let me in either. I've only got 2 bars of gas left and I was suppose to go for a group ride tonight (need to leave in about an hour). Any suggestions? I'm going to try and look in the manual...

Rider
07-16-2008, 04:01 PM
Make sure your key isn't bent and try putting some graphite in the lock. Other than that.. :idk: Maybe try your spare key

Good luck.

Becca_007
07-16-2008, 04:05 PM
Spare key might be at my mom's house. Grr. I couldn't get there and back and they don't get home til later.

I managed to bend the key trying to get it open but then bent it back. Thing fits in the ignition just fine.

Graphite? Do i just grind up some pencils? Lol.

Rider
07-16-2008, 04:10 PM
Spare key might be at my mom's house. Grr. I couldn't get there and back and they don't get home til later.

I managed to bend the key trying to get it open but then bent it back. Thing fits in the ignition just fine.

Graphite? Do i just grind up some pencils? Lol.

I'm sure that could work. You don't keep graphite in the locks of your car in the winter? You should.. Unless you have keyless entry.

Becca_007
07-16-2008, 04:31 PM
I give up. Tried some WD-40 but it still wouldn't disengage. I'll have to see about getting the other key and hopefully that will work.

Even my old 1990 Lumina had keyless entry ;). I do remember taking a lighter to the locks of my 1989 Cavalier though.

No Worries
07-16-2008, 06:19 PM
The best bet is to ride to a locksmith and have him fix it permanently. You don't want to have that happen on empty.

Becca_007
07-16-2008, 06:48 PM
Yay! It finally opened. I won't be able to clean it out and give it a good lubing until after this weekend but now i can gas up so I can ride back and forth to work. WD-40 to the rescue. I still don't know why it happened though.

Amber Lamps
07-16-2008, 06:57 PM
Yay! It finally opened. I won't be able to clean it out and give it a good lubing until after this weekend but now i can gas up so I can ride back and forth to work. WD-40 to the rescue. I still don't know why it happened though.

That little "door" that used to slide closed when you took your key out probably quit sliding so when you bike gets wet (rain,washing,etc) a little water finds it's way into the hole. You are supposed to lube that hole when you change your oil. Start doing that and this will probably never happen again. Besides the key recess makes a great little pool for water to hang out in and get into your keyhole!

DLIT
07-16-2008, 07:46 PM
I put one on I saw at a gas station just laying on a pump. Dumb move. I pried it off with a prybar really easy.

6doublefive321
07-16-2008, 10:40 PM
My old Zuk was hard to open. The trick was to push down on the cap as you are trying to turn the key. The cap is spring loaded, so it puts a lot of tension on the latch. Pushing down relieves some pressure on the mechanism, and makes it easier for the key to turn.

Gas Man
07-17-2008, 03:12 AM
I've had this happen before... once on my 9R. They don't get lubed. People forget about it. But forget fuckin WD40... get some decent lube.

And the reason it worked later was cause it was able to soak in.

Becca_007
07-17-2008, 07:29 AM
I didn't forget about it. I never knew/thought about it! But now it's added to my little list of things to check over.

Before yesterday pushing down did work, but the WD-40 is the only thing that got it open I think. In fact, it opens easier than it has in the year I've had it. I'm packing for a camping trip so don't know if I'll have time to get to it or not tonight. I know there is some tri-flo around here somewhere but the WD-40 is what was handy yesterday.

Thanks for explaining to me what was up. And, may this never happen again.

Gas Man
07-17-2008, 04:04 PM
Yeah, its a common problem.

dReWpY
07-18-2008, 02:43 AM
its a kawi, i had the same thing happen to the ignition key, kinda acommon problem from what i gathered about the kawi and the sliding trap door thingy

nhgunnut
07-18-2008, 06:29 AM
Couple of things first lubricate a lot Graphite dry, silicone anything but LOTS of it as if you are trying to wash crap out.
Next try vibration, PLan 1 insert your key grab it with a par of vice grips using something that offers a lot of rythmic vibration, a finishing sander or something of that sort hold the vibrating item against the vice grip and gently work the key back and forth. Vibration 2 use a cheap electric tooth brush and a key blank slot the tooth brush for the blank and repeat..
Lastly have you really pissed anyone off lately? Not long ago one of our clients exes super glued every lock on his 99 honda. This involved find a small basting syringe and filling it with acitone and "washing" the locks. which sucked cause acitone takes the paint right off.

Amber Lamps
07-18-2008, 06:42 AM
its a kawi, i had the same thing happen to the ignition key, kinda acommon problem from what i gathered about the kawi and the sliding trap door thingy

Yea that's what I said. I think it happens to all bikes unless you lube the cap and ignition. Ok everyone let's make tomorrow the official TWFix lube your holes day! Woot!