PDA

View Full Version : RIP Simoncelli

Dave
10-23-2011, 06:39 AM
Apparently he fell in lap two, got caught in the bike, helmet came off and drug in the path of edwards and rossi.

This is heartbreaking, I'm gutted. Can't even imagine what vale is feeling right now.

Particle Man
10-23-2011, 07:37 AM
Geez :(

tommymac
10-23-2011, 07:48 AM
Apparently he fell in lap two, got caught in the bike, helmet came off and drug in the path of edwards and rossi.

This is heartbreaking, I'm gutted. Can't even imagine what vale is feeling right now.

How bout edwards he t-boned him prety solid. hard to tell if rossi hit his body or just his helmet after it came off.

L8 Braker
10-23-2011, 09:52 AM
http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/4664/44174678.png

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/3480/90977504.png

azoomm
10-23-2011, 10:27 AM
http://espn.go.com/racing/story/_/id/7140167/marco-simoncelli-24-dies-crash-motogp-malaysian-race

How horrible.

My thoughts are with Colin. There was nowhere for him to go...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkInpkx1hFE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Porkchop
10-23-2011, 11:19 AM
Fuck. My buddy just called to wake me up, and told me about this. I didn't believe it at first. Horrible.

derf
10-23-2011, 11:27 AM
It really looked like a crazy unavoidable accident. Sim just came straight across the line tucked under the bike. Edwards and Rossi both looked like they swerved to the right to avoid him just a little too late. I still don't even know where sim came from. The video I saw showed the 4 or 5 bikes ahead of them and Sim wasnt even there.

Kaneman
10-23-2011, 11:44 AM
:(

Porkchop
10-23-2011, 11:57 AM
It really looked like a crazy unavoidable accident. Sim just came straight across the line tucked under the bike. Edwards and Rossi both looked like they swerved to the right to avoid him just a little too late. I still don't even know where sim came from. The video I saw showed the 4 or 5 bikes ahead of them and Sim wasnt even there.

I heard Sim lost the rear but saved it by planting his knee. When the rear finally grabbed he rode the thing out, trying to save it, but it was arcing back across the track. Thats why it seems like he came back perpindicular to the track, and why he was so low. Just a case of wrong place wrong time. If he would have dumped it in the gravel, he would still be

Tmall
10-23-2011, 12:04 PM
I watched a good version on liveleak. His left foot came off, he fell to the right and into the path of Rossi and Colin. Colin hit him hard, Rossi seemed to clip him or the bike Nd glance off. Colin went down, and simoncelli went sliding face down with no lid.

It was a horrible wreck. The minute I saw it, I could tell he was likely done for.

Porkchop
10-23-2011, 12:23 PM
I watched a good version on liveleak. His left foot came off, he fell to the right and into the path of Rossi and Colin. Colin hit him hard, Rossi seemed to clip him or the bike Nd glance off. Colin went down, and simoncelli went sliding face down with no lid.

It was a horrible wreck. The minute I saw it, I could tell he was likely done for.

Rossi ran over an arm. About that time the helmet could be seen flying off. Cant see what really happened to why it came off...

RACER X
10-23-2011, 03:14 PM
Wow, just wow wreck was tremendous

Godspeed simo

fasternyou929
10-23-2011, 03:38 PM

This onboard footage, combined with the outside perspective shows pretty clear how it happened.

Sad day, and I can't imagine what must be going through the minds of Edwards and Rossi. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDILxnRpdoo&feature=player_embedded

Porkchop
10-23-2011, 03:47 PM
I cant believe this has struck me as hard as it has. Ive been sitting at work all day thinking about it. Because Shoya didnt quite touch me last year. My post on facebook,

Its funny how the death of someone you dont even know can really touch you. It has happened twice recently, most recently with the death of a forum member. The Moto GP community was dealt another blow with the death of Marco Simoncelli today in Singapore. While he was only my 3rd favorite rider, there was always something about him that captivated me, and forced me to root for him. Whether it was his lanky "gorilla on a trycicle"-esqe hunch, his brass and at times bold racing style, or his unwillingness to back down from criticism of said racing style. There was something special about him, he had a certain style on a bike that seperated him from other cookie cutter European riders. And he had that racing fire in him which kept him on the edge at all times. It was either succeed or leave it in pieces. It was that edge and a "right place, wrong time" moment that ended his life. I will dearly miss his afro, goofy italian accent, and talent in the GP paddock. He was a star to be reconed with in the coming years. Rip Marco, Rip Simo, Rip Super Sic....

TYEster
10-23-2011, 05:02 PM
Rossi ran over an arm. About that time the helmet could be seen flying off. Cant see what really happened to why it came off...

After they collide, it looks like his helmet has an extra long strap flapping around as the helmet went tumbling. My guess is the strap mounted to the helmet on one side broke off causing the helmet to go flying. Either way, it's also another reminder to keep your helmet up to the age rule. If it's 4 or 5 years, buy a new one.

RACER X
10-23-2011, 06:12 PM
]Translated per http://www.gpone.com/index.php/201110235329/Il-web-saluta-Marco-Simoncelli.html

There are so many teams and riders, not only from MotoGP, but also WSBK, Motocross, and Formula 1 who have given their thoughts on the web surrounding the loss of Marco Simoncelli. A huge virtual community that has rallied around the family of Sic, sending their love and their suffering.

Here are the messages entrusted on the networks, with the hope they can reach Marco, wherever he is now.

John Hopkins: God Speed #58 Simoncelli .... Your fighting spirit will live on forever !!!

Bradley Smith: Speechless to the news of Marco #58. Such a sad moment..... R.I.P

Jorge Lorenzo: Que mierda.

Toni Cairoli: Non e possibile !!! Non ci sono parole! RIP SIC 58!

Yamaha MotoGp: Rest In Peace Sic....our thoughts are with your family and team..a tragedy...

Carl Fogarty: Devastated to hear that marco simoncelli has died..the guy was a breath of fresh air in moto gp.. Can't believe it.

Leon Haslam: What terrible news. R.I.P. MARCO my thoughts to all his family and friends...

Troy Bayliss: R.I.P Marco.

Ramon Forcada: Impotencia total. El precio a pagar a veces es desproporcionado.

Wayne Gardner: Stunned. Devastated. Huge huge loss for MotoGP and the world

Scott Redding: No no no no marco NO I don't want to believe it !!!!! R.I.P much love to you

Cal Crutchlow: RIP Marco Simoncelli ! A great rider and all round nice guy. My thoughts are with all his family & friends. I will never forget today … #58

Ducati: Ciao, Marco, da Ducati tutta. / Bye, Marco, from everyone at Ducati.

LCR: A great tragedy hits MotoGP world today, we have lost a friend Marco Simoncelli. We cry a friend.

Repsol: It is a very sad day for the motorbike family. We at Repsol join all in feeling the sadness of this terrible loss. RIP Marco Simoncelli.

Marco Melandri: Buon viaggio Marco. Le parole non spiegheranno mai la sofferenza

Paul Denning: #58 - a funny, lovely, genuine guy with massive spirit. No words to describe how smashed everyone feels. Such a tragedy. Go well, Marco...

Pablo Nieto: Joder aun no me lo puedo creer!! Es muy injusto Marco tenia toda la vida xdelante! Acabo de hablar con mi padre y esta todo el mundo fatal!!

DannyWebb: R.I.P marco such a sad situation! What a fantastic rider he was!

Maverick Vinales: Forza Sic!!..:(

Chaz Davies: RIP Marco. Our sport has lost a great rider and all round great guy. My thoughts are with his family.

Timo Glock: What a horrible week after Dan Wheldon now Marco Simoncelli in Moto GP.! My thoughts are with his family and friends! RIP

Williams F1: Thoughts with Marco Simoncelli's family&friends today after the Moto GP rider succumbed to his injuries after terrible crash this morning.

Héctor Faubel: No se k decir la verdad! Xo esto es muy muy fuerte!! Ufff! No tengo palabras... Solo lagrimas... ? super sic un grande y valiente chico

Julián Simón: Mi apoyo total en este momento para familia, amigos, Team gresini que vuelve a revivir el sufrimiento de perder a un piloto y a todo motogp

Fonsi Nieto: Hoy es uno de los peores dias de mi vida.... No es justo que pasen estas cosas de verdad!!!! No es justo!!!!!

Nicky Hayden: Sometimes life just don't make sense... RIP #58 your were a star on & off track we all going to miss you.

Alex Hofmann: What a loss !!! I am thankful for every moment we shared & all those times u made me laugh ... R.I.P Marco Simoncelli

Jorge Lorenzo: No se que decir de un dia asi... Solo se que te echaremos de menos. Descansa en paz Marco.

Aleix Espargaró: Es incre*ble, como cambia la vida en unos segundos.. Siempre te recordaremos Simoncelli 58. Es duro, muy duro, te replanteas muchas cosas...

Kenny Noyes: Terrible, such a great rider and person. I can't believe it.

Sergio Gadea: 58 4ever!!! No entiendo xq la vida es tan injusta!!! Nunca te olvidaremos

Jonathan Rea: Rest in peace Marco Simoncelli! A true inspiration, amazing rider and gentleman! Your legacy will never be forgotten!

Team Pramac: CIAO MARCO Sarai sempre nei nostri cuori

Alex Crivillé: Adiós, 'SuperPippo'

Ben Spies: Super Sic rest easy.....

Hector Barbera: Sin palabras.Lo q diga poco es... Destrozado!Mucha fuerza a su familia amigos y equipo...Lo llevaremos con nosotros siempre...Es injusto

Robertino Pietri: Dia muy triste para la familia del mundo a motor ,Adios Marco , SUPER SIC#58, no tengo palabras,estaras siempre en nuestro corazon

Andrea Dovizioso: RIP Marco. I miei pensieri e le mie preghiere sono rivolti alla famiglia e agli amici di Marco.

Davide Brivio: Non è giusto però.. Ma com'è possibile e poi perché? Non abbiamo parole... ci sono rischi in questo sport però qui una serie di coincidenze

Jason Button: R.I.P Marco... Such an exciting talent lost. My thoughts are with his family, friends and everyone involved in MotoGP.

Alvaro Bautista: Arce Sin palabras...DEP #58

Uccio Salucci: Non ho parole per esprimere il mio stato d'animo in questo momento.Purtroppo il nostro sport a volte e' bastardo,un saluto al Sic.

Luca Scassa: Ciao Marco :(

Pablo Nieto: All the best for simoncelli family! We never forget you sic 58

Alvaro Bautista: SIC era 1grandisimo piloto y tod@s le echaremos d menos.Mucho animo a su familia y amigos #58

Eugene Laverty: Devastated to hear of the death of Marco Simoncelli, one of the best of our generation. Thoughts go out to his family. RIP Marco

FTR: shocked and saddened at the premeture departure of Marco, such a bright talent and huge personality, all our thoughts are with his family.

Lewis Hamilton: RIP #MarcoSimoncelli. My thoughts are with his family, friends and team at this extremely sad time. Another tragic loss at such an early age

Joan Olivé: Hoy es un d*a muy triste,tuve la suerte de compartir equipo con el en 2005,era un gran piloto y muy buena persona.Ánimos para la familia!#58

Ben Bostrom: Quality vs Quantity in life. We could all learn a lesson here. Live w/the passion Simo raced. Never know when your # is pulled. Ciao Sic

defector
10-23-2011, 06:55 PM
Godspeed, racer.

Porkchop
10-23-2011, 07:36 PM
I just found that same picture Defector. Someone is going to PS some wings on him eventually.

Linky with some frames...

http://www.automotive-information.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Picture-Photo-Simoncelli-Crash-and-Death-in-MotoGP-Sepang-Malaysia.jpg

tached1000rr
10-23-2011, 07:49 PM
terrible news, RIP

Porkchop
10-23-2011, 08:29 PM
I'm not sure I even want to post this photo, but someone caught an inside angle. :panic:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/10/23/article-0-0E7EC8AC00000578-723_634x419.jpg

Some other good photos of the Grisini and Simoncelli family after the race...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2052455/Marco-Simoncelli-dead-horror-crash-Malaysian-Moto-GP-Sepang.html

azoomm
10-23-2011, 08:36 PM
I'm not sure I even want to post this photo, but someone caught an inside angle. :panic:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/10/23/article-0-0E7EC8AC00000578-723_634x419.jpg

Some other good photos of the Grisini and Simoncelli family after the race...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2052455/Marco-Simoncelli-dead-horror-crash-Malaysian-Moto-GP-Sepang.html
:(

Amber Lamps
10-23-2011, 09:44 PM
I got up early to watch this race.... This is not what MotoGp needs right now. Marco was by far my favorite rider and I really can't believe it.....

Particle Man
10-23-2011, 09:53 PM
I got up early to watch this race.... This is not what MotoGp needs right now. Marco was by far my favorite rider and I really can't believe it.....

It hasn't been a good couple of weeks for racing, for sure.

Amber Lamps
10-23-2011, 10:00 PM
It hasn't been a good couple of weeks for racing, for sure.

I think that we see them get up and walk away from such horrible crashes that you start to think they are quasi-indestructible.....well they are not. I remember when Kato died... I rode for an hour or so today thinking about how tenuous our hold on life is... Death is just a split second away. Carpe' diem people.....

Trip
10-23-2011, 10:40 PM
I think that we see them get up and walk away from such horrible crashes that you start to think they are quasi-indestructible.....well they are not. I remember when Kato died... I rode for an hour or so today thinking about how tenuous our hold on life is... Death is just a split second away. Carpe' diem people.....

Good to hear from you, Lon. Hope life is treating you well.

quackPOT
10-23-2011, 10:44 PM
How sad... :(

RIP

KSGregman
10-23-2011, 10:51 PM
It was horrible....watching it live on MotoGP.com....from listening to Gav and Ben Spies talk and laugh in the booth....to....THAT.

I can't imagine what Edwards and Rossi are going through right now....particularly Rossi. Just a shit situation. :(

Rider
10-24-2011, 08:11 AM
3 of my favorite riders were involved in that wreck, one of them didn't make it... :(

RIP Sic...

I knew it was bad the moment I saw it on TV. I told my wife, I think I just saw someone killed. Tragic loss for everyone.

RACER X
10-24-2011, 08:19 AM
The rising Italian rider Marco Simoncelli died on Sunday after falling from his bike and being struck by two riders at the Malaysian MotoGP race. In the second fatality to hit motorsport in a week following the death of the British driver Dan Wheldon at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway, Simoncelli appeared to lose control on the second lap at Sepang, veering into the path of the American Colin Edwards and Italy's Valentino Rossi.

Simoncelli, 24, who lost his helmet during the crash, was left lying motionless on the track with tyre marks visible on his neck. The Gresini Honda rider and former MotoGP champion died within an hour of chest, head and neck injuries.

"When our medical staff got to him he was unconscious," said MotoGP's medical director, Dr Michele Macchiagodena. "In the ambulance because there was a cardiac arrest they started CPR [cardiopulmonary resuscitation]."

As the race was cancelled and silence fell at the track, doctors worked to remove blood from Simoncelli's thorax and continued to perform CPR for 45 minutes, but failed to revive him, said Macchiagodena. Edwards suffered a dislocated shoulder in the crash but Rossi was unharmed.

After Simoncelli's death was announced – the first fatality in MotoGP since Japan's Daijiro Kato crashed at the 2003 Japanese Grand Prix – tributes immediately poured in for the rider renowned for his afro-style curly hair, jokey personality and aggressive riding technique.

"I'm so shocked and saddened by the loss of Marco," said the MotoGP champion, Casey Stoner. "When things like this happen it reminds you how precious life is, it makes me feel sick inside."

The Repsol Honda rider Andrea Dovizioso said: "I watched the images and I'm shocked. In a race you fight and push hard and disaster is often around the corner. Marco was a strong rider and he always pushed hard. We raced together since we were kids, I saw him always pushing to the maximum, he crashed many times, but without major injuries, he seemed invincible. What happened today seems impossible."

Simoncelli, from Emilia-Romagna in central Italy, rode motorbikes from the age of seven, taking the Italian Minimoto title at 12. In 2008 he won the 250cc world championship with Gilera before finishing eighth in his debut MotoGP season with Honda last year.

Popular with fans thanks to his good looks, Jimi Hendrix T-shirts and wild hair which forced him to wear a helmet one size larger, Simoncelli's enthusiasm for motorsport – he once said he would race for free or even pay to do to it – won him friends including his fellow Italian rider Rossi, who was in tears at the track in the long minutes before the announcement of his compatriot's death.

At more than 6ft, Simoncelli looked cramped on his bikes, his elbows appearing to graze the track on turns, and his extra weight pushed him into aggressive starts to make up lost seconds. That aggression did not always endear him to other riders. "We are riding at 300 kilometres per hour with a very powerful and very heavy bike," said Jorge Lorenzo after criticising Simoncelli's style this year. "It's not mini-bikes. It's a dangerous sport and you have to think about what you do."

In May Simoncelli collided with Dani Pedrosa in the French GP, after which he conceded he needed to show more caution. On Sunday Pedrosa said. "In a tragedy like this there is not much to say. I just want to give my condolences to his family and all the people who love him. I've been with his father and all we could do was to hug, nothing else matters."

The rising Italian rider Marco Simoncelli died on Sunday after falling from his bike and being struck by two riders at the Malaysian MotoGP race. In the second fatality to hit motorsport in a week following the death of the British driver Dan Wheldon at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway, Simoncelli appeared to lose control on the second lap at Sepang, veering into the path of the American Colin Edwards and Italy's Valentino Rossi.

Simoncelli, 24, who lost his helmet during the crash, was left lying motionless on the track with tyre marks visible on his neck. The Gresini Honda rider and former MotoGP champion died within an hour of chest, head and neck injuries.

"When our medical staff got to him he was unconscious," said MotoGP's medical director, Dr Michele Macchiagodena. "In the ambulance because there was a cardiac arrest they started CPR [cardiopulmonary resuscitation]."

As the race was cancelled and silence fell at the track, doctors worked to remove blood from Simoncelli's thorax and continued to perform CPR for 45 minutes, but failed to revive him, said Macchiagodena. Edwards suffered a dislocated shoulder in the crash but Rossi was unharmed.

After Simoncelli's death was announced – the first fatality in MotoGP since Japan's Daijiro Kato crashed at the 2003 Japanese Grand Prix – tributes immediately poured in for the rider renowned for his afro-style curly hair, jokey personality and aggressive riding technique.

"I'm so shocked and saddened by the loss of Marco," said the MotoGP champion, Casey Stoner. "When things like this happen it reminds you how precious life is, it makes me feel sick inside."

The Repsol Honda rider Andrea Dovizioso said: "I watched the images and I'm shocked. In a race you fight and push hard and disaster is often around the corner. Marco was a strong rider and he always pushed hard. We raced together since we were kids, I saw him always pushing to the maximum, he crashed many times, but without major injuries, he seemed invincible. What happened today seems impossible."

Simoncelli, from Emilia-Romagna in central Italy, rode motorbikes from the age of seven, taking the Italian Minimoto title at 12. In 2008 he won the 250cc world championship with Gilera before finishing eighth in his debut MotoGP season with Honda last year.

Popular with fans thanks to his good looks, Jimi Hendrix T-shirts and wild hair which forced him to wear a helmet one size larger, Simoncelli's enthusiasm for motorsport – he once said he would race for free or even pay to do to it – won him friends including his fellow Italian rider Rossi, who was in tears at the track in the long minutes before the announcement of his compatriot's death.

At more than 6ft, Simoncelli looked cramped on his bikes, his elbows appearing to graze the track on turns, and his extra weight pushed him into aggressive starts to make up lost seconds. That aggression did not always endear him to other riders. "We are riding at 300 kilometres per hour with a very powerful and very heavy bike," said Jorge Lorenzo after criticising Simoncelli's style this year. "It's not mini-bikes. It's a dangerous sport and you have to think about what you do."

In May Simoncelli collided with Dani Pedrosa in the French GP, after which he conceded he needed to show more caution. On Sunday Pedrosa said. "In a tragedy like this there is not much to say. I just want to give my condolences to his family and all the people who love him. I've been with his father and all we could do was to hug, nothing else matters."

Rider
10-24-2011, 08:36 AM
:no:

Archren
10-24-2011, 09:31 AM
Tragic.. all the way around. :( RIP, Marco..

shmike
10-24-2011, 10:14 AM
...there was always something about him that captivated me, and forced me to root for him. Whether it was his lanky "gorilla on a trycicle"-esqe hunch, his brass and at times bold racing style, or his unwillingness to back down from criticism of said racing style. There was something special about him, he had a certain style on a bike that seperated him from other cookie cutter European riders. And he had that racing fire in him which kept him on the edge at all times. It was either succeed or leave it in pieces. It was that edge and a "right place, wrong time" moment that ended his life. I will dearly miss his afro, goofy italian accent, and talent in the GP paddock. He was a star to be reconed with in the coming years. Rip Marco, Rip Simo, Rip Super Sic....

I agree 100%.

I wish there were more like him.

He'll be missed for sure.

RIP Sic. :(

marko138
10-24-2011, 11:10 AM
Does anyone know about how fast they were traveling when the collision happened?

Rider
10-24-2011, 11:21 AM
Does anyone know about how fast they were traveling when the collision happened?

Spies said that was a 140Kph corner but they were accelerating out of that turn so I'm sure they were going faster than that.

KSGregman
10-24-2011, 11:38 AM
Spies said that was a 140Kph corner but they were accelerating out of that turn so I'm sure they were going faster than that.

90 mph + Just brutal....

This will sound dumb...but...I ran over a small dog on my GSX-R750...in El Dorado, Kansas....I was doing maybe 40 mph and he darted out from behind a hedge and I dead centered him....I literally felt every bone in his body break through the bars...I could FEEL it.

I can't IMAGINE what Valentino Rossi is feeling....and Sic was his friend...it's horrible....I read the article where his former manager says stories about Valentino retiring are false....but...I won't be at ALL surprised if he says "enough." And honestly, I wouldn't blame him a bit or think less of him about it if he does.

marko138
10-24-2011, 12:09 PM
Ugh. Just horrible.

azoomm
10-24-2011, 05:53 PM
This is the most well put article I've read about the topic...

http://roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=46460#.TqXRCfts3m8.facebook

Homeslice
10-24-2011, 06:08 PM
wild hair which forced him to wear a helmet one size larger

Possibly a factor.

No matter how "professionally-fitted" his helmet was, there's no way it's going to fit as snugly as it could if he had less hair.

Porkchop
10-24-2011, 08:42 PM
Possibly a factor.

No matter how "professionally-fitted" his helmet was, there's no way it's going to fit as snugly as it could if he had less hair.

That was my thought. You know, I never knew why he kept his hair so long until I read it somewhere yesterday.

JoJoYZF
10-24-2011, 09:34 PM
90 mph + Just brutal....

This will sound dumb...but...I ran over a small dog on my GSX-R750...in El Dorado, Kansas....I was doing maybe 40 mph and he darted out from behind a hedge and I dead centered him....I literally felt every bone in his body break through the bars...I could FEEL it.

I can't IMAGINE what Valentino Rossi is feeling....and Sic was his friend...it's horrible....I read the article where his former manager says stories about Valentino retiring are false....but...I won't be at ALL surprised if he says "enough." And honestly, I wouldn't blame him a bit or think less of him about it if he does.

Rossi appeared to hit mainly his arm, I understand everyones concern for how hes coping with that being his friend but what about Edwards? He "dead centered" him similar to how you hit the dog. Edwards looked distraught even on the side of the track and mildly injured himself.

Regardless of any of that, RIP Marco. While not always my favorite rider, I was definitely looking forward to watching him race for years to come.

Sixxxxer
10-24-2011, 09:36 PM
Even if his helmet stayed on...I honestly dont think it would have helped.

RIP

fasternyou929
10-24-2011, 09:57 PM
Rossi appeared to hit mainly his arm, I understand everyones concern for how hes coping with that being his friend but what about Edwards? He "dead centered" him similar to how you hit the dog. Edwards looked distraught even on the side of the track and mildly injured himself.

Regardless of any of that, RIP Marco. While not always my favorite rider, I was definitely looking forward to watching him race for years to come.

I don't know how anybody could look at the picture in post #20 and call that "mainly an arm". We all know Marco's helmet came off in the crash and an article published in the UK said Marco had a visible tire mark across his neck; that clearly didn't come from where Edwards hit him.

Not saying this to point fingers at all, just explaining why people are so concerned about Rossi moreso than Edwards (not to mention the long friendship they've shared).

JoJoYZF
10-25-2011, 06:40 AM
I don't know how anybody could look at the picture in post #20 and call that "mainly an arm". We all know Marco's helmet came off in the crash and an article published in the UK said Marco had a visible tire mark across his neck; that clearly didn't come from where Edwards hit him.

Not saying this to point fingers at all, just explaining why people are so concerned about Rossi moreso than Edwards (not to mention the long friendship they've shared).

I was going mostly by the video, the picture you can't see his head because it appeared to be more next to rossis bike than under it but none of us can really tell. I never said not be worried about how Rossi is feeling and I acknowledged the friendship they shared. I just said that we should look at the fact that Edwards was clearly upset too but not many people seem to even mention that.

Trip
10-25-2011, 09:02 AM
His head is blanked out in that pic, it got smacked hard and they didn't want you to see it, I got a feeling the real version of that pic is not pretty at all.

The way the medics treated him was aweful. The freakin dropped him and left him out on the track forever...

Look how they dragged him at this point...

marko138
10-25-2011, 09:21 AM
His head is blanked out in that pic, it got smacked hard and they didn't want you to see it, I got a feeling the real version of that pic is not pretty at all.

The way the medics treated him was aweful. The freakin dropped him and left him out on the track forever...

Shameful.

RACER X
10-25-2011, 09:57 AM
happens pretty often, they are trying to get racers off track w/o getting run over themselves.

all the races are like that, none of that immobilize the neck and so on, just get them off.

RACER X
10-25-2011, 10:03 AM
GREAT writeup by Schwantz

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2011/Oct/111024-34-rip-sic.htm

JoJoYZF
10-25-2011, 10:37 AM

That makes more sense about the pic.

That's pretty fucked up, I doubt it would've made much difference in saving him but you would think they'd be a little more careful with a badly injured rider.

Dave
10-25-2011, 10:57 AM

Its just like when Tomi died...

Trip
10-25-2011, 11:23 AM
happens pretty often, they are trying to get racers off track w/o getting run over themselves.

all the races are like that, none of that immobilize the neck and so on, just get them off.

This wasn't like that. He remained on the track for awhile after he went down. They placed crash bags around him. The red flag was out for awhile before they moved him. He wasn't under threat of getting hit again or the crew getting hit. There were other numerous reports of poor corner working for this track in other races too. These guys just plain didn't know what the fuck they were doing out there.

shmike
10-25-2011, 12:24 PM
GREAT writeup by Schwantz

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2011/Oct/111024-34-rip-sic.htm

Thanks for posting, Ed.

fasternyou929
10-25-2011, 12:27 PM

Blanked out? I think it's just behind Rossi's front wheel and out of sight. You can see the chest logo on his leathers just fine.

I saw the video of his removal from the track. Un-freakin-believable; they dropped him from waist height. And like you said, the track was cold by then so there was no reason to rush.

Sixxxxer
10-25-2011, 08:16 PM
Again, Not to sound like an insensitive person...But from the video and the picture he looked to be Deceased on Impact from Edwards...If you watch the video he's lifeless laying on the track after edwards and rossi are no longer entangled with him.

Unfortunate as it is...He most likely went quickly and without much pain.

Hydrant
10-25-2011, 09:49 PM
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/95668

Paolo Simoncelli pays his respects to a 'special, honest and pure' son
By Michele Lostia and Sam Tremayne Tuesday, October 25th 2011, 18:50 GMT

Marco SimoncelliPaolo Simoncelli has paid his respects to a 'special, honest and pure son' and expressed his gratitude at the outpouring of grief following Marco Simoncelli's fatal accident in the Malaysian Grand Prix.

Speaking to Italian media, Paolo Simoncelli said the support shown in the wake of the accident had provided comfort, and insisted there was no blame to be apportioned.

"Marco was a very special person, and perhaps people have understood what he was like. If he had to swear he would, he was like that. Most of all he was honest, he was really pure," said Simoncelli Sr.

"On top of that he was a warrior, and maybe that's why he died. Had he let the bike go...but last Sunday he wanted to win. He was again the Marco we had at the beginning of the season, but now he knew what to do, he knew everything."

Greeted by hundreds of fans when he landed in Rome with his son's body, Paolo said: "Honestly I couldn't believe it: it would be bullshit if I said I'm happy, but it pleases me. We didn't realise all this, but it's a very nice thing.

"Tomorrow evening, after the end of the funeral, we'll be alone. It'll be terrible. But now I have you and all the people that come visit us. That can only please us.

"Marco was always available with all the journalists, as with all the people that would come to disturb him while he was eating. In fact he would scold me when I complained. That's how he was.

"Marco was never judged badly, he was always judged for what he was and for the way he presented himself. I loved him, and he loved me. Marco was great and that's it. What a shame.

"He needed everything around him to work. He needed Aligi Deganello - his guru and chief technician - his team, and his dad, who would piss him off sometimes, as he would say. Before the start we would shake hands and hug. I did that on Sunday too, but I guess I got something wrong. It didn't go as usual.

"He enjoyed all the simple things he had: he liked his house, his dog, the grass... in fact on Sunday he told me 'I'm tired, I want to go back home', because we had been away to prepare for Malaysia, which for him has always been difficult: nutrition, he took an ice bath to cool down before the race... It was perfect, he was sure he would do well. But he told me 'I want to go back home, dad.'"

Paolo arrived at the scene of the crash as Marco was being lifted onto a stretcher and carried to the ambulance. He says he had called to his son, but Marco was already dead. He says he also bears no ill will to the bearers, who fumbled the stretcher on their way to the ambulance.

"I was thereabouts, but Marco was dead already. I was 10 metres away, but Marco was already dead, it changed nothing.

"I helped them: when they got back up and passed the stretcher over to my side of the guard rail I took the stretcher to place it in the ambulance and held Marco's hand and called him 'Ciao Marco', but he was gone already.

"There was nothing that could be done. Nothing would have changed in that case. As for the rest, maybe more (attention) is needed, but these people try to do their best, so it's useless... But in our case Marco died on impact.

"They say God summons the best to heaven. I don't know. I wish that's how it is."

Paolo said Marco's funeral would almost certainly be held this Thursday, as a private function for relatives, friends, fellow riders and Gresini Racing staff.
inShare16
Earlier MOTOGP story More news

shmike
10-25-2011, 10:06 PM
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/95668

Paolo Simoncelli pays his respects to a 'special, honest and pure' son
By Michele Lostia and Sam Tremayne Tuesday, October 25th 2011, 18:50 GMT

Marco SimoncelliPaolo Simoncelli has paid his respects to a 'special, honest and pure son' and expressed his gratitude at the outpouring of grief following Marco Simoncelli's fatal accident in the Malaysian Grand Prix.

Speaking to Italian media, Paolo Simoncelli said the support shown in the wake of the accident had provided comfort, and insisted there was no blame to be apportioned.

"Marco was a very special person, and perhaps people have understood what he was like. If he had to swear he would, he was like that. Most of all he was honest, he was really pure," said Simoncelli Sr.

"On top of that he was a warrior, and maybe that's why he died. Had he let the bike go...but last Sunday he wanted to win. He was again the Marco we had at the beginning of the season, but now he knew what to do, he knew everything."

Greeted by hundreds of fans when he landed in Rome with his son's body, Paolo said: "Honestly I couldn't believe it: it would be bullshit if I said I'm happy, but it pleases me. We didn't realise all this, but it's a very nice thing.

"Tomorrow evening, after the end of the funeral, we'll be alone. It'll be terrible. But now I have you and all the people that come visit us. That can only please us.

"Marco was always available with all the journalists, as with all the people that would come to disturb him while he was eating. In fact he would scold me when I complained. That's how he was.

"Marco was never judged badly, he was always judged for what he was and for the way he presented himself. I loved him, and he loved me. Marco was great and that's it. What a shame.

"He needed everything around him to work. He needed Aligi Deganello - his guru and chief technician - his team, and his dad, who would piss him off sometimes, as he would say. Before the start we would shake hands and hug. I did that on Sunday too, but I guess I got something wrong. It didn't go as usual.

"He enjoyed all the simple things he had: he liked his house, his dog, the grass... in fact on Sunday he told me 'I'm tired, I want to go back home', because we had been away to prepare for Malaysia, which for him has always been difficult: nutrition, he took an ice bath to cool down before the race... It was perfect, he was sure he would do well. But he told me 'I want to go back home, dad.'"

Paolo arrived at the scene of the crash as Marco was being lifted onto a stretcher and carried to the ambulance. He says he had called to his son, but Marco was already dead. He says he also bears no ill will to the bearers, who fumbled the stretcher on their way to the ambulance.

"I was thereabouts, but Marco was dead already. I was 10 metres away, but Marco was already dead, it changed nothing.

"I helped them: when they got back up and passed the stretcher over to my side of the guard rail I took the stretcher to place it in the ambulance and held Marco's hand and called him 'Ciao Marco', but he was gone already.

"There was nothing that could be done. Nothing would have changed in that case. As for the rest, maybe more (attention) is needed, but these people try to do their best, so it's useless... But in our case Marco died on impact.

"They say God summons the best to heaven. I don't know. I wish that's how it is."

Paolo said Marco's funeral would almost certainly be held this Thursday, as a private function for relatives, friends, fellow riders and Gresini Racing staff.
inShare16
Earlier MOTOGP story More news

Fuck.

I've seen the pics, watched the videos and read all the articles.

This one made me choke up.

azoomm
10-25-2011, 10:38 PM
Fuck.

I've seen the pics, watched the videos and read all the articles.

This one made me choke up.

Me too. Ugh.

Dave
10-25-2011, 11:15 PM
Wow...

RACER X
10-25-2011, 11:30 PM
a father/mother should never have to bury his/her child.

sigh

RACER X
10-27-2011, 06:37 AM
http://www.benspies.com/

defector
10-27-2011, 10:49 AM
Funeral was live on this site earlier.

http://www.bikesportnews.com/news-de...pm&newsid=5959

RACER X
10-27-2011, 11:34 AM
alot of screen shots of the funeral, not sure if you can see w/o registering

i see rossi & lorenzo there

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238839&page=12

Dave
10-27-2011, 12:11 PM
I heard they were supposed to bring his Gilera and rc212v into the church

#edit, I see them now.

Porkchop
10-27-2011, 04:17 PM
alot of screen shots of the funeral, not sure if you can see w/o registering

i see rossi & lorenzo there

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238839&page=12

If im not mistaken, is that Colin there on the left side as a pall bearer?

I thought it was quite interesting that everybody was pretty dressed down for a funeral, even rossi and the family. Yet Lorenzo looks like he is in a suit and tie. Big props to him. I hope there were more riders there than that. You would have figured the cameras would have caught them...

JoJoYZF
10-28-2011, 01:48 PM
If im not mistaken, is that Colin there on the left side as a pall bearer?

I thought it was quite interesting that everybody was pretty dressed down for a funeral, even rossi and the family. Yet Lorenzo looks like he is in a suit and tie. Big props to him. I hope there were more riders there than that. You would have figured the cameras would have caught them...

It was Edwards. Someone posted in that thread that him and Rossi were pall bearers and then Rossi pushed Sic's rc out to the steps next to the casket for the crowd to see.

KSGregman
10-28-2011, 01:56 PM
It was Edwards. Someone posted in that thread that him and Rossi were pall bearers and then Rossi pushed Sic's rc out to the steps next to the casket for the crowd to see.

Colin wasn't there....

“Firstly, I want to thank everybody for all their messages of support since Sunday. The support and love has been overwhelming and it has been a great comfort to me at this difficult time. My heart goes out to the family and friends of Marco and I will miss him a lot, as will the entire MotoGP family. I watched Marco's funeral yesterday and I really wish I could have been there. I wanted to go but unfortunately my injuries meant I was unable to travel. I know Valentino spoke to Marco's family on my behalf and I thank him for that. It was a great service and a fitting celebration of his life. I also wanted to be in Valencia next week to give my support to MotoGP, but it is not going to be possible because of the surgery I need on my left arm. The top of my left humerus bone has got multiple small fractures but the cartilage that is around the top of the bone has been pulled off. The surgery will anchor the cartilage back to the bone but there is no nerve damage, so I should be 100 per cent in about four weeks."

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2011/Edwards+to+miss+Valencia+MotoGP+round

shmike
10-28-2011, 01:57 PM
A video posted in Ed's link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpOsxTNteQQ&feature=player_embedded

JoJoYZF
10-29-2011, 02:21 PM
Colin wasn't there....

“Firstly, I want to thank everybody for all their messages of support since Sunday. The support and love has been overwhelming and it has been a great comfort to me at this difficult time. My heart goes out to the family and friends of Marco and I will miss him a lot, as will the entire MotoGP family. I watched Marco's funeral yesterday and I really wish I could have been there. I wanted to go but unfortunately my injuries meant I was unable to travel. I know Valentino spoke to Marco's family on my behalf and I thank him for that. It was a great service and a fitting celebration of his life. I also wanted to be in Valencia next week to give my support to MotoGP, but it is not going to be possible because of the surgery I need on my left arm. The top of my left humerus bone has got multiple small fractures but the cartilage that is around the top of the bone has been pulled off. The surgery will anchor the cartilage back to the bone but there is no nerve damage, so I should be 100 per cent in about four weeks."

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2011/Edwards+to+miss+Valencia+MotoGP+round

Guess not, my bad. The one guy looks similar so once I saw the post from the guy on the ape forum I figured it was.

fasternyou929
11-01-2011, 01:48 PM
Marco's father has requested a "minute of chaos" to honor his son. I dig it, and hope they follow-thru: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/95826

KSGregman
11-01-2011, 01:54 PM
Marco's father has requested a "minute of chaos" to honor his son. I dig it, and hope they follow-thru: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/95826

Agreed

defector
04-05-2012, 10:19 PM