View Full Version : Holy Scam...

NeonspeedRT
07-28-2008, 01:24 PM
Ok,
So i've been looking around at bikes since someone I know may be in the market soon. I've been looking at 04 to 06 R1's. I came across this "gem" on ebay. Note the sarcasm here.

It's an 06 Raven R1 with a buy it now for $2900. However if you buy it now, you have to send a $600 deposit instantly.

If you read the post, the sellers email is disabled by ebay. LMAO. So you have no way of contacting them. Thats great. I feel sorry for someone that falls for this. Anyone want to have some fun?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-Yamaha-R1-Raven-Edition-With-low-Milage_W0QQitemZ190240339704QQihZ009QQcategoryZ147 906QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Trip
07-28-2008, 01:42 PM
I flagged it.

BobTheBiker
07-28-2008, 01:55 PM
Its listed as being in Holiday, and I live right near there. theres NO Raven R1s on the road here. NONE.

Oh yeah, I flagged that bitch too. hope they eventually get busted and have to serve next to bubba as his bitch.

Rider
07-28-2008, 01:58 PM
I just sent an email saying I lived in FL and wanted to see it in person.. No reply yet.

NeonspeedRT
07-28-2008, 02:11 PM
I just sent an email saying I lived in FL and wanted to see it in person.. No reply yet.

So did I. I said I have cash in hand and would like to come look at it. If it looked good, then I would buy it. LOL.

BobTheBiker
07-28-2008, 02:18 PM
hey, he's like 5 miles from me, supposedly. if he agrees let me know. I'll show up quite gladly.

NeonspeedRT
07-28-2008, 02:48 PM
hey, he's like 5 miles from me, supposedly. if he agrees let me know. I'll show up quite gladly.

Sounds good man. I'll let you know. :dthumb:

Wow. Ebay is fast. The listing has already been removed by them. I'm curious to see if we get any emails now from the original poster.

NeonspeedRT
07-28-2008, 03:14 PM
Ok, so I got an email back. Here is the scam this time. I think i'm going to have some fun with him :rockout:

"Hello, Thank you for your interest in purchasing my bike.It is in perfect condition, with no scratches on it, no damage, Always garaged, Always covered. Everything about this bike functions perfectly. Incredible power, handling and reliability. If you are interested in buying, the price is $ 2,900 US. I had to move with my family in United Kingdom where I got a new job transfer. I brought the bike here with me but when I found out about the very high import duties and all the restrictions regarding registration and emissions tests here I've decided to sell the bike. I want to sell it in US because is still registered there. It is made for US market and has US specs on it. The buyer will receive it along with all papers and receipts that he needs to register it in his name. The transaction will be done through eBay for our own protection, no money first to me. I am registered with their secure trader department and they will handle the trade. Your funds will be 100% insured by eBay until you will receive and inspect the bike, and I will be sure that I will receive the payment. You will have 10 days from the time you receive the bike to inspect it and decide if you want to keep it or not.
If you want to buy my bike then e-mail me: Full name for the title, Shipping address
As soon as I have this information I'll start the official procedure, and eBay will notify you about this. You'll also receive important guidelines + instructions from them (please go through them exactly). I'll handle the shipping, so this will be free of charge for you.Looking forward to hearing from you."

Rider
07-28-2008, 03:15 PM
His reply

Hello,
Thank you for your interest in purchasing my bike.It is in perfect condition, with no scratches on it, no damage, Always garaged, Always covered. Everything about this bike functions perfectly. Incredible power, handling and reliability. If you are interested in buying, the price is $ 2,900 US.
I had to move with my family in United Kingdom where I got a new job transfer. I brought the bike here with me but when I found out about the very high import duties and all the restrictions regarding registration and emissions tests here I've decided to sell the bike. I want to sell it in US because is still registered there. It is made for US market and has US specs on it. The buyer will receive it along with all papers and receipts that he needs to register it in his name.
The transaction will be done through eBay for our own protection, no money first to me. I am registered with their secure trader department and they will handle the trade.
Your funds will be 100% insured by eBay until you will receive and inspect the bike, and I will be sure that I will receive the payment.
You will have 10 days from the time you receive the bike to inspect it and decide if you want to keep it or not.

If you want to buy my bike then e-mail me:
Full name for the title,
Shipping address

As soon as I have this information I'll start the official procedure, and eBay will notify you about this. You'll also receive important guidelines + instructions from them (please go through them exactly). I'll handle the shipping, so this will be free of charge for you.
Looking forward to hearing from you

NeonspeedRT
07-28-2008, 03:40 PM
At least he is consistant with his reply to both of us....

Rider
07-28-2008, 03:47 PM
At least he is consistant with his reply to both of us....

Auto generated reply.

NeonspeedRT
07-28-2008, 03:47 PM
My reply to the scammers email. Like I said i'm going to have some fun first off.

"Hello,
Thank you for the reply about your bike. So the bike isn't located in Holiday, FL? That presents a small problem. I was really hoping to have something this week. This will be the first time I purchase a bike over the internet. So how does this work with ebay? Is there someone with ebay I can contact to verify this is legit? I just don't want anything to happen with my money and be out a bike. I don't have a car, so the motorcycle will be my only transportation."

Sixxxxer
07-28-2008, 07:37 PM
These Things really Piss me Off...But This one Sticks out like a sore thumb.

BobTheBiker
07-28-2008, 07:39 PM
I can pick out any scam with GREAT EASE. theres very obvious signs on the craigslist ones, this one was just plain obvious.

Sixxxxer
07-28-2008, 07:44 PM
They've become so abundant nowadays I would hope NOONE ever gets caught in one...But the world is not that smart.

marko138
07-28-2008, 10:03 PM
Scamming bastards. F them in their stupid A's.

Shift
07-28-2008, 11:14 PM
I love these things, it allows me to laugh everyday at all the idiots out there who could fall for something so dumb. :whistle:

NeonspeedRT
07-29-2008, 08:29 AM
Here is his reply to my reply. He clears things up so much here LMAO. What a tool.

"OK,I just received your email. I'm not good at explications but I will try to explain you how it will work from now on:
1) You'll send me your full name and your shipping address.
2) I will contact eBay and open a case.
3) They will contact you with all transaction details,invoice.
4) You will make the payment like is stated on invoice.
5) You will send the payment details at eBay.
6) They will contact me that the payment is OK.
7) I will send you the bike to your address and send you the tracking number from the shipping company so you can check it online.
8) After you will receive the bike and only if it is like I described you will contact eBay to release the payment details to me.
9) You will get your new bike and they will pay me.Let me know if you understand how it work.Thanks and have a good day.Bye"

Gas Man
07-29-2008, 04:07 PM
Has anybody just went along with them... feed them some bogus info, and try to meet up with the bike???