PDA

View Full Version : Your Suggestions or Ideas

nhgunnut
07-30-2008, 09:01 AM
Ok Gang, While it is only the end of July, I am painfully aware that winter is going to come and I am going to need something to keep my mind and hands busy so I don’t wind up on the evening news.
Last year me and some friends built AK 47s fun but having done it and now having all the tools doing it again will not eat the kind of time I have to occupy.
I am about 90% certain that the next project will be a 70s style Café Racer. I would like to do a twin of some kind and in a budget unlimited world a Triumph Norton or BSA would be cool. But here in the real work I can’t justify the budget or cutting up a classic.
At the moment I am leaning toward a using Yamaha 650 twin as a base. There is one down the road that is quickly turning into a basket case. Anyone know the bike and what to watch for?
Now I have no qualms about using a newer bike (have thought about a wrinkled Hyosung or SV650 but they limit creativity) but I am not aware of any that fit the bill as it were.
If I go the inline 4 route the bike to use seems to be a CB750 K lots and lots of parts out there and it becomes kind of a bolt on project. I have also begun to think about using a 600 bandit but finding one seems to be a bit of a challenge.
I would also consider a bigger 2 stroke but the H series Kawasakis are out because as much as I love them they called them they are Flexible Flyer for a reason and there is nothing like the approximation of brakes on a H2 to bring you closer to god.
I would love to hear the thoughts and ideas of folks here. So how about gang those of you who have a few silver highlights in your hair or you younger historians what are your thoughts?
My requirements are:
That it be chain drive so I can easily change the gearing.
A reasonable budget machine ( I don’t want to go 10k for the whole project minus paint)
Reasonable original brakes or a easily upgraded braking system.
Something that can be made to appear 70’s appropriate

Dave
07-30-2008, 11:38 AM
hmm well i dont have much in the way of bike recommendations at the moment. but check out bike bandit's oem parts listings, that'll show what (if any) parts are no longer available and a generall break down on how they are assembled. might help you decide yay/nay on your yami

No Worries
07-30-2008, 01:18 PM
For a four-stroke, I would look for Suzuki's Tempter: http://www.davidreiss.com/tempter.html. I saw one at a dealer, but never saw one on the street. For a two-stroke, I would look for an RD400, GT550, or GT750.

Dnyce
07-30-2008, 09:08 PM
late 70's kz's had triple discs brakes if u get the right model (ltd, z1r), and if not, very ez to upgrade with a well built 1075 and itlll run all day long
a cb750 with a 836kit would be badass too

BobTheBiker
07-30-2008, 10:33 PM
I would NOT TOUCH Hyosung junk. its way too cheap, and not even a replica of an SV, it just looks similar.

The yamaha sounds like a solid idea. Remember, the RD250-400 are the same bottom ends, only difference is the 400 has longer stroke, and better tranny. otherwise EXACTLY the same bikes.

Dave
07-30-2008, 10:42 PM
doesnt the gt650r share engines with the sv? im sure i read that somewhere

:edit: found it, hyosung manufactures suzukis lower line including the SV. and while they are different bikes they are quite similar

OneSickPsycho
07-31-2008, 12:35 AM
OTB needs to find this thread.

Mr Lefty
07-31-2008, 04:11 AM
I think OTB needs to find the forum again... :idk:

nhgunnut
07-31-2008, 07:46 AM
doesnt the gt650r share engines with the sv? im sure i read that somewhere

:edit: found it, hyosung manufactures suzukis lower line including the SV. and while they are different bikes they are quite similar

I don't believe they are bolt by bolt copies but they are very close in design. I also know the Hyosung was the talk of the Tokyo Bike show with there fuel injected 650 street fighter. I have no long term experience with them but have spent a few hours on them. They are what they are a nice inexpensive bike about 3 to 5 years behind the curve. Like Hyundai they will catch up. What appeals to me about them is cost picking up a wirnkled one is cheap. The Aussies seem to love them and have parts (most importantly to me is brakes)

'73 H1 Triple
08-02-2008, 08:26 AM
I would also consider a bigger 2 stroke but the H series Kawasakis are out because as much as I love them they called them they are Flexible Flyer for a reason and there is nothing like the approximation of brakes on a H2 to bring you closer to god.

My requirements are:
That it be chain drive so I can easily change the gearing.
A reasonable budget machine ( I don’t want to go 10k for the whole project minus paint)

Reasonable original brakes or a easily upgraded braking system.
Something that can be made to appear 70’s appropriate

If you want to go with a classix triple, the front brake is an easy upgrade to the EX500 caliper.
http://kawtriple.com/mraxl/caliper/conversions.htm

I got a '96 EX500 master cylinder and front caliper off Ebay for $50 shipped for my '73 H1.

Here's a ton of info/specs on the Kawasaki Triples http://kawtriple.com/mraxl/

Another option would be to put a triple motor in a newer frame. Some of the guys have added later model front ends and swingarms to H1/H2 frames.

Jeff

OTB
08-04-2008, 09:55 PM
Find a GT750, there are still guys port and polishing these, with a set of chambers, clubman bars and ikon shocks as well as a fork brace, you have a stonking 11 second, 160 mph screamer.......that actually handles pretty good. http://www.motocarrera.com/custombikes.htm

Or how about a 500 or 250 Gamma restoration project http://www.lancegamma.com

http://www.lancegamma.com/Ride_2007_62.jpg

sniper
04-05-2009, 01:31 AM
I would NOT TOUCH Hyosung junk. its way too cheap, and not even a replica of an SV, it just looks similar.

The yamaha sounds like a solid idea. Remember, the RD250-400 are the same bottom ends, only difference is the 400 has longer stroke, and better tranny. otherwise EXACTLY the same bikes.

Wrong.... rd400 bottom end different.. rd400 trani sucked

dads has a 350 trani... good..
had to buy new bttom end for the 400... crank wicked huge

different stator
different side plates

but does still mount in like a 350/250

sniper
04-05-2009, 01:32 AM
i have a gt750 engine im sellin... compression good.. and has stock pipes.. decent shape too