PDA

View Full Version : Kawasaki Card vs. Personal credit card

Porkchop
08-03-2008, 01:06 AM
Ok, guys and gals... I'm new to this forum so go easy on me.

I've been riding for a year now, but havn't owned due to the whole parents/finances thing. Im tired of just riding my friend's around the neighborhood and then getting left behind when they want to go on trips, so I making the jump. I've got 2 options here to choose and was wondering what you all thought was best. Buying outright is out of the question as I'm still a Junior in college, so I will have to finance.

Option 1- A dealer in northern Ohio about 2 hours away has a left over new 2007 Ninja ZX6R in Silver for $7200. My thought is to talk them down to 7 flat, have a grand down payment, and then finanace the $6,XXX after t/t/t. A brand new bike financed for six something isnt too bad with Kawi's payment options on the Kawasaki Card.

Option 2- A dealer on the OH/PA border specailizes in used bikes with minor cosmetic problems. They have a 2007 Monster Energy Ninja ZX6R(black) for $5,199 that has very slight rash on the right side, almost perfect. Could be easily fixed with touch up paint. Thay also have an 07 Daytona 675 and an 06 Special Edition 636 for around the same price range. This company only accepts cash and credit cards.

What do you think?? I mean the one bike is brand new and is on sale, but the other is super low miles with light scrapes, and way cheaper.... Is there anything wrong with using a personal credit card IYO???? I mean it has a way lower minimum payment so if i get in a pinch with an unexpected bill one month. Pour it on people!!! :idk:

Dnyce
08-03-2008, 04:48 AM
they have a daytona 675 for 5k? wtf ? im coming to ohio!

as for your question, save your money, go with the used option

OneSickPsycho
08-03-2008, 09:29 AM
First off, name the dealers... We have a few Ohioans on here who might know a thing or two about them. I was born and raised in Ohio, spent 9 years in Columbus... not even a year yet in FL.

I know zero about the Kawasaki card, but imagine that it's not much more than a regular loan, with the option of adding more shit to it later on (like gear, parts, labor, etc)... Probably only good at the Kawasaki dealer, much like a department store card. It might, possibly, have a low APR, but those cards are notorious for having ricockulously high interest rates.

As far as using a CC to buy the bike outright... if done properly you can save a ton of money, but you have to be very, very careful.

Generally speaking, if you use the CC to buy something big and don't pay it off immediately the APR will fuck you. Judging by your reference to your parents, I'd say you're probably a young guy... Therefore, you're likely to only get approved for cards with ginormous APR's... like 18-22%. Ballpark right in the middle at 20%, and even if you make 3x the minimum payment (of the original statement), it'd take you about 14 months to pay it off, and you'd pay about $1k in interest.

And BTW, your minimum payment would be like $136 for the first month - but all cards having different ways of calculating minimum payments so it could be more/less (this was 1% of the balance, plus interest). I kept the payment at 3x the original minimum payment, just for ease of calculation. Oh, and your first month's interest... yeah, that's $81.

Now, check this... You go into the dealer, finance a bike outright... get a 15% interest rate over a 72 month loan... Your minimum monthly payment is about $135. Pay 3x that rate for long enough to pay it off and you'd save a little more than 5% in interest.

Here's where it gets fun... and complicated...

Balance Transfers. Regardless of how you buy the bike in the first place, credit card or standard loan, you can drop your interest down to 0% by transferring the balance onto a credit card. It's a little known fact that you can do balance transfers on pretty much ANYTHING with an account number (auto loans, deliquent bills... hell use your SSN and you can balance transfer back taxes!).

What you need to do is to get a new card that offers balance transfer at 0% introductory APR (generally it will be offered for 6-15 billing cycles). Transfer whatever loan you use onto that card (or just use a card with a 0% introductory APR offer on purchases). Make your payments, as best you can... all of that money will go towards the principle (cutting your minimum payment in half as well).

The problem with doing this is two fold.

1) If you don't pay it off during that introductory period, you'll have to get another card and do another balance transfer to keep your 0% status. Otherwise, you'll jump to 20% or whatever at the end of that term. That could be a pain in the ass, but if you can save a considerable amount of scratch, it might be worth it right?

2) Balance transfers aren't free. Generally you're looking at 3-5% of the balance being transferred assessed as a fee. Even so, you're STILL saving money over 15% or whatever your original line of credit charges. If you do multiple BT's, you'd still probably save money as each time you do one the cost goes down because you'll be transferring a smaller balance.

I just sent in for a new credit card and am transferring my truck and bike loan balances... 0% until April of '09. If I continue making the same amount of payments, yeah I'll have to do another BT or two, but I'll have that shit paid off in 2 years. If I just continue to pay the original loans, it'll be 2 years until I pay off my truck and another 5 years to pay off my bike... who knows how much interest at that point...

OneSickPsycho
08-03-2008, 09:34 AM
Oh yeah, I almost forgot...

Many bike/auto loans include GAP insurance... you total your machine, the balance of the loan is covered. Using a credit card, not so much, however your regular insurance might include GAP.

Phenix_Rider
08-03-2008, 10:32 AM
I know shit about financing. But if you've been riding your buddies' bikes for a year, you really need to look at something better suited to a new rider. Look at the SV650 and Ninja 650R or an F2/F3/F4i- you can get any of them for a few thousand less than what you're looking at now. Say under $4k slightly used because so many are jumping up after a few thousand miles.

comonboys
08-03-2008, 02:35 PM
Ok, guys and gals... I'm new to this forum so go easy on me.

I've been riding for a year now, but havn't owned due to the whole parents/finances thing. Im tired of just riding my friend's around the neighborhood and then getting left behind when they want to go on trips, so I making the jump. I've got 2 options here to choose and was wondering what you all thought was best. Buying outright is out of the question as I'm still a Junior in college, so I will have to finance.

Option 1- A dealer in northern Ohio about 2 hours away has a left over new 2007 Ninja ZX6R in Silver for $7200. My thought is to talk them down to 7 flat, have a grand down payment, and then finanace the $6,XXX after t/t/t. A brand new bike financed for six something isnt too bad with Kawi's payment options on the Kawasaki Card.

Option 2- A dealer on the OH/PA border specailizes in used bikes with minor cosmetic problems. They have a 2007 Monster Energy Ninja ZX6R(black) for $5,199 that has very slight rash on the right side, almost perfect. Could be easily fixed with touch up paint. Thay also have an 07 Daytona 675 and an 06 Special Edition 636 for around the same price range. This company only accepts cash and credit cards.

What do you think?? I mean the one bike is brand new and is on sale, but the other is super low miles with light scrapes, and way cheaper.... Is there anything wrong with using a personal credit card IYO???? I mean it has a way lower minimum payment so if i get in a pinch with an unexpected bill one month. Pour it on people!!! :idk:

When we got the 250, I got it through a Kawi dealer here in Fargo... I had 6.9% financing through the Kawi card. It was for 2 years I believe. I really think that was the better option. I don't know of any cc that would give you that rate. However its really depending on what your cc rates are and the terms and conditions. For sure look around and see who can give you the best interest rates. Also check with banks with financing options. Alot are offering good rates to get your business...... Cutty got his loan through the bank cause financing from Buell wasn't the greatest...

JoJoYZF
08-03-2008, 03:16 PM
Im especially curious which dealer you were lookin at thats 2 hours north of columbus since thats right up by where me and None too soft live at. Im guessin Ive at least seen which ever it is. If its rick roush they arent too bad, but state 8 marks up all their shit pretty far. Id honestly say go with the used zx6r. One because I love the look of the ninjas with green and black and the monster stuff and two because its already slightly rashed so if you drop it you wont feel as bad.

No Worries
08-03-2008, 05:20 PM
If you asked Suze Orman on her call-in TV show, she would say "denied, denied, denied." Going into debt in this economy is so last year. The old-school way of saving up $1500 to buy an 18-year-old CBR600, ZX6, FZR600, or Katana 600 is the best thing to do. If they know bikes, you can have your friends check out a used one.

OneSickPsycho
08-03-2008, 07:58 PM
If you asked Suze Orman on her call-in TV show, she would say "denied, denied, denied." Going into debt in this economy is so last year. The old-school way of saving up $1500 to buy an 18-year-old CBR600, ZX6, FZR600, or Katana 600 is the best thing to do. If they know bikes, you can have your friends check out a used one.

This man speaketh the truth.

Porkchop
08-03-2008, 08:34 PM
Ok guys, sorry i've been gone all day, I see I missed alot! To answer your questions yes i am 20, i have good credit, and minimal money... lol

Jojoyzf- The dealer in northern ohio is Powersports360 (formerly J & J) in Port Clinton, about an hour drive from cleveland on Rt 2. They have another location by the lake too. And yes State 8's prices are rediculous. But my thoughts exactly on the bike thats already been dropped, Less emotional!

Dnyce- The dealer in PA is Addams Auto Cycle. They specialize in slightly rashed bikes. The Triumph is extremely nice... one slight problem though... the bike is red and the tail is silver. I kinda like it tho... Buckeye colors.:rockwoot: I'm gonna take shit for that one...

Onesickpsycho- Where at in Columbus?? The kawasaki card is just like all the dealer cards. High interest rate about 17%, my friend has $149 a month min payment. The funny thing tho is that he has a Suzuki Card and bought a Yamaha on it. Yes he can buy gear on the card at the dealership, or use it for service/maintinace. But thanks for all the information, it seems like the general consensus on all the forums is to carefully do 0% CCs and then balance transfer to a new card at the end of the year.

NoWorries- Why would I want an 18 year old bike?? Many people have told me that sport bikes get finickey with age and miles. I mean i know its my starter bike, but why would i want to throw more into maintinance than cost??? Oh... and I know way more about bikes and maintinace than my friends... its just they have the wallets and willing parents to let them buy one....

PS- has anybody owned/rode an older Z1000?? I saw one in the parking lot today... looked way more comfortable than the SS's, and pretty sweet for a naked!!

Mr Lefty
08-03-2008, 08:42 PM
by buying an 18 year old bike 1 you aren't in debt... 2 they're easier to work on and you'll learn how to it yourself. 3. you aren't in debt! :lol:

OneSickPsycho
08-03-2008, 08:47 PM
Onesickpsycho- Where at in Columbus?? The kawasaki card is just like all the dealer cards. High interest rate about 17%, my friend has $149 a month min payment. The funny thing tho is that he has a Suzuki Card and bought a Yamaha on it. Yes he can buy gear on the card at the dealership, or use it for service/maintinace. But thanks for all the information, it seems like the general consensus on all the forums is to carefully do 0% CCs and then balance transfer to a new card at the end of the year.

NoWorries- Why would I want an 18 year old bike?? Many people have told me that sport bikes get finickey with age and miles. I mean i know its my starter bike, but why would i want to throw more into maintinance than cost??? Oh... and I know way more about bikes and maintinace than my friends... its just they have the wallets and willing parents to let them buy one....

PS- has anybody owned/rode an older Z1000?? I saw one in the parking lot today... looked way more comfortable than the SS's, and pretty sweet for a naked!!

I lived on Tompkins St for 6 years or so... first up by Summit, then down by High. Before that I lived on the east side near Refugee and Hamilton Rd... you know, where they find bodies and shit (Walnut Glen). I've routinely been thrown out of the old Outlands and my favorite bars are the dirty nasty ones like The Stube (between Cousin's and 14-0) and O'Reilly's (across from Giant Eagle on N. High)... I miss PJ's subs...

Again... The CC thing is not a bad plan, but you cannot fuck around with it. If you dick off and lose track of it, you WILL get fucked...

As far as the old bikes are concerned, they can be rock solid machines. You just have to know what to look for... find/take someone who does.

Z1k's are probably not the best choice for noobs, but they are good bikes. Little has changed with them mechanically through the years from what I remember.

Personally, I'd look for an older SS... like something 10 or so years old... They can be had for a song, look decent (unless someone REALLY knows bikes, they'll have NO IDEA how old it is), and if you dump it, it'll be much less of a big deal. Also too, depending on your experience anything over 650cc might be a little much for you.

marko138
08-03-2008, 08:49 PM
by buying an 18 year old bike 1 you aren't in debt... 2 they're easier to work on and you'll learn how to it yourself. 3. you aren't in debt! :lol:
Some people don't know, don't care, and must have the latest and greatest.

OTB
08-03-2008, 09:01 PM
...couple of things.

A. You haven't told us about your experience; you are showing an R6 in you avi line, but say you don't own a bike......mebbe you might want to try something a little more forgiving than a Z1000 for starters....

B. I know you don't wanna hear it, but 17% interest IS high interest and you'll be payin that bad boy off for years. The average biker changes bikes every 30 or months....which means you're gonna be upside down when you go to trade/sell down the road.

C. NoWorries is right: first bike; buy a good, inexpensive used bike. I am familar with Addams...their bikes are all salvage/rebuilt titled bikes which means the resale value will not be there; which is OK if you are going to pay cash and ride it till the wheels fall off, but not so hot if you plan on riding for a year or two and then try to resell or trade and still owe money....you are going to find yourself upside down again...

D. Careful shopping netted my co-worker a cherry '95 750 Honda with 2500 miles on it for $1200 dollars and he's ridden the wheels off it this summer. I found an 04 R6 this spring for 3k and a 99 Superhawk with 4000 miles for $2700.....bargains abound, you just need a sharp eye and some patience.

Unless you are made of money, in which case, go straight to the Desmosedici and jump right in.....

Mr Lefty
08-03-2008, 09:04 PM
if you wanna know how to get a good deal on a bike listen to OTB...

he's got it down to a science...

OneSickPsycho
08-03-2008, 09:33 PM
...couple of things.

A. You haven't told us about your experience; you are showing an R6 in you avi line, but say you don't own a bike......mebbe you might want to try something a little more forgiving than a Z1000 for starters....

B. I know you don't wanna hear it, but 17% interest IS high interest and you'll be payin that bad boy off for years. The average biker changes bikes every 30 or months....which means you're gonna be upside down when you go to trade/sell down the road.

C. NoWorries is right: first bike; buy a good, inexpensive used bike. I am familar with Addams...their bikes are all salvage/rebuilt titled bikes which means the resale value will not be there; which is OK if you are going to pay cash and ride it till the wheels fall off, but not so hot if you plan on riding for a year or two and then try to resell or trade and still owe money....you are going to find yourself upside down again...

D. Careful shopping netted my co-worker a cherry '95 750 Honda with 2500 miles on it for $1200 dollars and he's ridden the wheels off it this summer. I found an 04 R6 this spring for 3k and a 99 Superhawk with 4000 miles for $2700.....bargains abound, you just need a sharp eye and some patience.

Unless you are made of money, in which case, go straight to the Desmosedici and jump right in.....

You got that Superhawk for $2700... Damnit!!!! Awesome.

marko138
08-03-2008, 09:39 PM
You got that Superhawk for $2700... Damnit!!!! Awesome.
I know of a pretty sweet price on a Buell he found too!

JoJoYZF
08-03-2008, 09:58 PM
Ok guys, sorry i've been gone all day, I see I missed alot! To answer your questions yes i am 20, i have good credit, and minimal money... lol

Jojoyzf- The dealer in northern ohio is Powersports360 (formerly J & J) in Port Clinton, about an hour drive from cleveland on Rt 2. They have another location by the lake too. And yes State 8's prices are rediculous. But my thoughts exactly on the bike thats already been dropped, Less emotional!

Dnyce- The dealer in PA is Addams Auto Cycle. They specialize in slightly rashed bikes. The Triumph is extremely nice... one slight problem though... the bike is red and the tail is silver. I kinda like it tho... Buckeye colors.:rockwoot: I'm gonna take shit for that one...

I dont think Ive ever been in there, but I know where youre talking about.

Im not too sure Id go with the rashed place just based off of what OTB said unless you know exactly why those bikes have salvage titles. Rash is no big deal but salvage could be anything from a scratched frame to totaled and everything in between. Like the others said, pay attention to what OTB says when it comes to finding/buying used bikes. I believe he even had a post a little while back just about that. Try searching for it and it should be pretty helpful for you.

Cutty72
08-03-2008, 09:59 PM
have you tried going to the bank for a loan??

Porkchop
08-03-2008, 10:35 PM
:willy:... the East side, where they find bodies... so true!! Campus isnt bad at all but there was a road closing and were forced to go down on the east side to get back on 70 the other night. The windows were closed and the doors were locked!! lol

But back on topic. I have never missed a credit card payment ever, but you guys put a little doubt in my mind. As much as I cant stand not having a bike right now, I might just save up and buy used in the winter/spring.

About me.... I've been riding for a year, not quite a noob, but far far from totally comfortable in all situations on a bike. The whole thing about the 05 R6 is it is the bike I ride on a constant basis. It is my best friends. The bikes I have ridden include that R6, an 02 Kat, an 05 CBR600RR, an 08 Gixxer, and a 1978 Suzuki GS750.

1) I never said I wanted a Z1000, I just saw one in the parking lot. Maybe an 04, and thought it was nice... well for a naked bike. I know it is way too much power for me, although I am pushing 310 and have a mature right hand..

2) I am definately not made of money... hence the poor college student looking for financing....

3) Oh and that 78 Suzuki might be for sale... maybe $500???

Porkchop
08-03-2008, 10:37 PM
Yes, I have gone to the bank... but with a bank loan I would be forced into full coverage and with the bikes i am/was looking at, Id be paying more a year in insurance than the bike itself... screw that...

Mr Lefty
08-03-2008, 10:43 PM
so your'd be going with a newish bike an just liablility? ouch dude... I wouldn't be looking to spend over about 2500 then... or you'll be paying for a long time on a bike that... if you go down... your gonna have to pay to get back on the road.

also if you wanna upgrade... your only choice would be to sell it privately... as trading it in would be applying it to your new bike... and you'd still be paying the card.

just something to think about...

have you checked into insurance at all on an older say mid to late 90's bike?

marko138
08-03-2008, 10:48 PM
Yes, I have gone to the bank... but with a bank loan I would be forced into full coverage and with the bikes i am/was looking at, Id be paying more a year in insurance than the bike itself... screw that...
Motorcycles are expensive. Thats part of the game.

JoJoYZF
08-03-2008, 11:07 PM
Motorcycles are expensive. Thats part of the game.

No doubt about that

No Worries
08-04-2008, 12:21 AM
That GS750 was Suzuki's first attempt at a four-cylinder, four-stroke after decades of making two-stroke street bikes. They over built the frame and engine so much, the only way you can destroy it is run it without oil.

I bought a GS1000 in 1979. I rode the thing today on one of the steepest, twistiest roads in Colorado and had a ball. Don't tell anyone else that I passed a Ducati Hypermotard because some people don't like to hear that stuff. But just remember, it's the rider, not the bike that's important

Porkchop
08-04-2008, 01:26 AM
Well as an alternative to an SS I have also considered a couple other bikes.

A used FZ6- Light, versitile, no fairings to scratch/dent, yet stylish, I4, upright comfortable ergos, and super cheap to insure.

A used ZZR600- "Honestly" a ninja at heart, not as razor edged as current gen SS, insured as a S-T, carberated and no fuel guage tho:panic:....

Maybe an 01 F4I...

Or maybe the Z1000!!! I kid I kid.... :hangman:

Mr Lefty
08-04-2008, 02:13 AM
Well as an alternative to an SS I have also considered a couple other bikes.

A used FZ6- Light, versitile, no fairings to scratch/dent, yet stylish, I4, upright comfortable ergos, and super cheap to insure.

A used ZZR600- "Honestly" a ninja at heart, not as razor edged as current gen SS, insured as a S-T, carberated and no fuel guage tho:panic:....
Maybe an 01 F4I...

Or maybe the Z1000!!! I kid I kid.... :hangman:

That's what I have... 05 ZZR00... (not a fatboy as my profile says... thank Trip)

I LOVE my bike...
the headlights are fuck'n awesome...
a bit of the sleeper look as it doesn't have the "loud" grafics...
seat is comfy and so it's good for long trips...
Great aftermarket already (02 ZX6R is the same model the J model)

the downfalls are
no gas guage or light... start looking for a gas station around 160
Carbed... but really the carbs are VERY good on this bike...
not the 636 motor

I got mine with 618 miles in Jan of 06 for 4999 OTD with a 500 Arai helmet thrown in.

but that was January in Alaska.:lol:

Dnyce
08-04-2008, 02:18 AM
no reserve? its carbed, so should have a petcock...with a reserve, if it has no guage or light. if not, that sux

they are nice bikes tho, in your case i wouldnt buy new. actually in most "first bike" cases i wouldnt buy new. go with the kawi

Mr Lefty
08-04-2008, 02:27 AM
no reserve? its carbed, so should have a petcock...with a reserve, if it has no guage or light. if not, that sux

they are nice bikes tho, in your case i wouldnt buy new. actually in most "first bike" cases i wouldnt buy new. go with the kawi

it has a reserve... .4 gal... with a petcock just under your left thigh as you sit on the bike.

Dnyce
08-04-2008, 02:30 AM
it has a reserve... .4 gal... with a petcock just under your left thigh as you sit on the bike.

oh cool, just like my kawi

Mr Lefty
08-04-2008, 02:36 AM
yeah it's nice... once you get used to it... you'll know when you're due to fill up... and if you forget... it studders... flip the petcock... and you've go about 10-15 miles to find a gas station.

I'm really happy with my bike... depending on what happens with my bro... I may end up keeping this bike for a LONG time... even if I end up giving it to my bro... I want it back when he upgrades... it's part of the deal

Phenix_Rider
08-04-2008, 07:08 AM
3) Oh and that 78 Suzuki might be for sale... maybe $500???

There's your winner if you're really looking for cheap. Easy maintenance, extremely cheap insurance.

The ZZR would be good too. Nice bike.

Porkchop
08-04-2008, 05:20 PM
So Ebbs... since you don't have a fatboy (thank god)... I'm guessing you dont live in South Korea either???? Ond who's the chick in you pic?? It seems everybody sports that avitar.... :whistle:

What does eveybody think about an 01/02 F4I??? Not as good as the ZZR???

Mr Lefty
08-04-2008, 05:31 PM
:lol: no I am currently in South Korea... here for the Air Force... but I'll be home in 23 days!

and the pic... it's Rae... a photo from the Rally earlier this year I cropped.

F4i is a great bike. honestly it'd be hard to choose between the F4i and my ZZr600... the ZZR600 new is cheaper I think. but both have excelent motors, and excelent aftermarkets....

I prefer the ZZR only because 1 I already have one :lol: and 2 the headlights are awesome (both are on for hi and lo) and I tend to ride after dark alot

marko138
08-04-2008, 05:39 PM
I've never ridden a bike with a fuel gauge.

Mr Lefty
08-04-2008, 07:04 PM
but they probably had a light

marko138
08-04-2008, 08:41 PM
but they probably had a light
Not the Zuk. When the engine started to sputter...time to switch to reserve.

Mr Lefty
08-04-2008, 08:44 PM
yeah that's same with the ZZr... how many miles before reserve for the zuk?

marko138
08-04-2008, 08:47 PM
yeah that's same with the ZZr... how many miles before reserve for the zuk?
Not many....bout 100 maybe 110.

No Worries
08-04-2008, 08:48 PM
I've never ridden a bike with a fuel gauge.

That's alright, they always way underestimate how much fuel is left anyway.

Mr Lefty
08-04-2008, 08:53 PM
Not many....bout 100 maybe 110.
damn I'd be pissed! I can go 170-175 in town... hope'n for 190+ on the freeway

marko138
08-04-2008, 08:58 PM
That's alright, they always way underestimate how much fuel is left anyway.

I've heard that. Never cared for a fuel gauge.

damn I'd be pissed! I can go 170-175 in town... hope'n for 190+ on the freeway

And it had a 5 gallon tank.

Mr Lefty
08-04-2008, 09:00 PM
FUCK! I have a 4.7 with .3 being reserve! and I thought my mileage was on the shitty side... 37 or so

marko138
08-04-2008, 09:04 PM
Mileage on that thing was not good.

Mr Lefty
08-04-2008, 09:06 PM
Love'n gas'n up that buell then huh... you probably get WAY more miles between fill ups even with what a 3.2 gal tank

marko138
08-04-2008, 09:09 PM
Love'n gas'n up that buell then huh... you probably get WAY more miles between fill ups even with what a 3.2 gal tank
I'm only at about 125 or 130 when I fill. The light is supposed to come on with .7 gallons left. I usually fill up right away and it almost always takes 2.7. So my light consistently comes on with about a gallon left.

Mr Lefty
08-04-2008, 09:11 PM
wonder what you'd get on a road trip... heard they're pretty reliable at getting close to if not over 60

marko138
08-04-2008, 09:15 PM
wonder what you'd get on a road trip... heard they're pretty reliable at getting close to if not over 60
I never even use 5th....so I'd imagine it's capable of MUCH better.

Mr Lefty
08-04-2008, 09:23 PM
:lol: yeah I'd guess so... I'm hope'n the 1125r with all the new changes will get mid 40's reliably... I'm think'n it's my next bike

OneSickPsycho
08-04-2008, 09:29 PM
I never even use 5th....so I'd imagine it's capable of MUCH better.

Buell... 3rd gear FTW.

WildKat
08-05-2008, 12:43 AM
I know shit about financing. But if you've been riding your buddies' bikes for a year, you really need to look at something better suited to a new rider. Look at the SV650 and Ninja 650R or an F2/F3/F4i- you can get any of them for a few thousand less than what you're looking at now. Say under $4k slightly used because so many are jumping up after a few thousand miles.

I was thinking the same thing..you can save yourself a ton of cash and get a great used bike that will not only be easier for you to afford but to insure as well. You can't forget about that because once your insurance company sees you wanting to pick up a Daytona 675 or anything of that nature all they are going to see is dollar signs and your insurance payment each month is liable to be as much if not more than your bike payment.

Get yourself an early generation CBR, consider a 600 or 750 Katana as well, an older FZR would be a solid option as would the SV's. There are tons of used bikes for a great price that still have a lot of miles left of them that will suit you well as you get older and get more experience. Don't rush heading out to buy the latest and greatest just to keep up with your buddies; that's asking for trouble dude :)

not to sound like an ass but that really is the way wrong answer here. You're a new rider, 1 year of experience is not much. You've got your whole life ahead of you to buy new stuff; take the time to do it right and carry the proper insurance but your risk of going down is way higher as a new rider on a sport bike than it is for someone 20 years older on the same bike. Get a cosigner if possible or bite the bullet and get a bike you can afford. It doesn't have to be a sport bike to be fun.

I've been riding street bikes since I was 16 and dirtbikes before that. I have as much fun on my Katana as I have on any other bike. It's cheap to insure even for new riders, it looks good, it's bullet proof, easy to work on,and very forgiving to new riders and easy to ride for experienced ones. That's just one example of not having the latest and greatest but still being able to go out and tear up the twisties and keep up with anybody else. Sure they might lose me on the straights off the line or something but regardless the thing about riding is, do what feels right not what your buddies think you should be doing.

Porkchop
08-05-2008, 04:22 AM
Well... I think that settles it.

I knew all along that this idea wasnt the best option. But with my buddies constantly in my head, and all the shiney plastic i see inside the pages of Sport Rider every month... my head just got a little too far ahead of itself. I really believed that i could pull this off, and who knows maybe i could have. But with a stronger sense of reason (everyone here) I think i will hold off a bit. Now that I'm back from vaca and back to work on Wed... with a new raise :rockwoot:, and with a little better budgeting, I'll save a nice little lump in my pocket. Come January/February when theres a foot of snow on the ground here in Ohio... I think I'll start looking for a nice little deal on an 03/04 FZ6. Shouldn't be too hard to barter at that point.

I want to thank all of you guys(and gals) for all the help. I posed this question in a couple different forums and I can honestly say this is the only one I will be returning to. Thanks for not being too brutal to a forum noob either. With all the help you gave me... who knows what you guys can teach me, maybe I'll just stick around and become a regular. Thanks Again!!

Mr Lefty
08-05-2008, 04:34 AM
any reason why your so specific with the bike you want? you listed the F4I and the ZZR but now say you want an FZ6? don't get me wrong... the FZ6 is a GREAT bike... but really... I'd just look for the best deal... don't tie your self into only looking for one type of bike... I myself was looking for a SV650 when I found mine...

Keep an open mind... and remember... ANY of these bikes are gonna put a smile on your face... and the only opinion that matters is the one you get in your helmet while riding it.

OneSickPsycho
08-05-2008, 09:09 AM
any reason why your so specific with the bike you want? you listed the F4I and the ZZR but now say you want an FZ6? don't get me wrong... the FZ6 is a GREAT bike... but really... I'd just look for the best deal... don't tie your self into only looking for one type of bike... I myself was looking for a SV650 when I found mine...

Keep an open mind... and remember... ANY of these bikes are gonna put a smile on your face... and the only opinion that matters is the one you get in your helmet while riding it.

Truth.

azoomm
08-05-2008, 11:46 AM
Well... I think that settles it.

I knew all along that this idea wasnt the best option. But with my buddies constantly in my head, and all the shiney plastic i see inside the pages of Sport Rider every month... my head just got a little too far ahead of itself. I really believed that i could pull this off, and who knows maybe i could have. But with a stronger sense of reason (everyone here) I think i will hold off a bit. Now that I'm back from vaca and back to work on Wed... with a new raise :rockwoot:, and with a little better budgeting, I'll save a nice little lump in my pocket. Come January/February when theres a foot of snow on the ground here in Ohio... I think I'll start looking for a nice little deal on an 03/04 FZ6. Shouldn't be too hard to barter at that point.

I want to thank all of you guys(and gals) for all the help. I posed this question in a couple different forums and I can honestly say this is the only one I will be returning to. Thanks for not being too brutal to a forum noob either. With all the help you gave me... who knows what you guys can teach me, maybe I'll just stick around and become a regular. Thanks Again!!

I just read through this thread with the thought that you were going to go through with it despite the advice given. I'm relieved to see you have at least put some thought to it all. Good job.

I wouldn't EVER, Never NEVER EVER buy a bike on a loan or credit of any sort, from anywhere. Motorcycles are big toys, and toys shouldn't be financed. That is for this economy and others.

The ONLY reason to go without full coverage is if you have enough in your pocket to get it back to condition if something happens. In fact, I usually recommend you get a good agent with gap insurance and a medical rider on the policy.

Keep an open mind.

Congrats, and welcome to the forum.

marko138
08-05-2008, 12:11 PM
Buell... 3rd gear FTW.

Thats exactly right. On the tightest of tight roads I will use 2nd.

Porkchop
08-05-2008, 07:50 PM
Well... I havn't exactly locked myself in to the bike per se. And I did list the FZ6 in that second list. IDK... I read two or three really bad reviews on the F4i, nothing about how it handles tho. Fit, finish, and build quality... but it's a Honda!?!? The ZZR is still in that very short list and seems like a really nice bike. Never ridden it though, just sat on it. I think the Yami might be a better learning tool with how small and agile it is, less "balls to the wall" sport oriented as well. Plus, insurance on the thing is fantastic compared to an SS. We will see... :dthumb:

Mr Lefty
08-05-2008, 08:01 PM
well I'll tell you right now... the F4i is a great bike it wouldn't still be made if it wasn't selling... and it wouldn't sell if it wasn't a solid bike... just like the ZZR considering they're running "old" tech.

shit even if you had an F4 or an F3 they're still great bikes... NtS had an F3 before his 600rr... as far as I know he loved the thing...

becarefull where you read your "reviews" and remember when looking at motorcycle mags... they're "paid" to rate one better than the other... and they ALWAYS have to have a winner... most of us won't really notice much of a diffrence in performance between the two... but they need to break them down and name a winner to sell mags...

if it's from a forum... really do your research... find out who's saying it... and read a lot of their other posts... to find out if they're full of shit or a solid source of info. also find out what type of rider they are... someone like Trip who rides track alot may say the F4i is overweight and slow to him... but that's not where the F4i is meant to be... (not putting words in Trip's mouth)

above all... just do your research... and honestly... Kawi, Honda, Suzy, or Yamaha.... you can't go wrong. all the bikes are well built. some have a few personality quirks... but as a new rider... they'll be fine.

good luck

Phenix_Rider
08-05-2008, 08:35 PM
It's hard to really decide what you want to live with until you've ridden a lot of bikes. Which is a Catch 22, since it's hard as a new rider to test ride many. Really, you've ridden a couple other bikes, so you've got a head start. Look at the specs- more than just peak HP and redline- 0-60 and especially top gear 60-80 rollon will tell you something about a bike's character. Spend as much time as you can hanging around several dealers familiarizing yourself with all the models you're considering, and more important spend time in the seat. Pick it off the stand, shift your weight, see how the controls feel in different positions.

I personally don't care for the FZ6- but I'm used to the grunty little 650R. The FZ spins up really fast, and you probably need to downshift a few to really make it move. It's all in what you like, and you could do a lot worse than that. If you like the low clipons, high pegs feel, the FZ will feel strange. If you like the upright easy going feel, a ZZR is going to be rough riding more than a few miles.

Mags can be useful, but a lot of times they're just giddy to have a new bike to thrash. Look for long-term rides to see what they say about day-to-day.

Cutty72
08-05-2008, 08:42 PM
I wouldn't EVER, Never NEVER EVER buy a bike on a loan or credit of any sort, from anywhere. Motorcycles are big toys, and toys shouldn't be financed. That is for this economy and others.

The ONLY reason to go without full coverage is if you have enough in your pocket to get it back to condition if something happens. In fact, I usually recommend you get a good agent with gap insurance and a medical rider on the policy.

I disagree with the first part, as I have financed every bike i've owned.
Does it cost a little more in the end? yes.
Does it pay for itself with the smiles over the miles? IMO yes.
And I'm quite sure that even with the shitty mileage that my savings in gas riding the 1125 over driving my pickup is more than my interest.

I do agree on the insurance though.

Mr Lefty
08-05-2008, 09:01 PM

Keep an open mind.

Congrats, and welcome to the forum.

My bike wasn't purchased as a toy... it's a vehicle to me... a vehicle I enjoy... but a vehicle none the less...

once I get a track only bike... that'll be a toy. :2cents:

comonboys
08-05-2008, 11:36 PM
My bike wasn't purchased as a toy... it's a vehicle to me... a vehicle I enjoy... but a vehicle none the less...

once I get a track only bike... that'll be a toy. :2cents:

i agree with you. My bike was for fun. But it's also for day to day usage. So it's an investment for me. So having financing it is an option.... However my bike would not become a track one. i will have another bike that i barely paid anything for that I could drop when the time comes.

Mr Lefty
08-05-2008, 11:40 PM
actually your SV would be a perfect track bike though... HUGE track aftermarket... and tons of parts available for repair.

comonboys
08-06-2008, 12:05 AM
actually your SV would be a perfect track bike though... HUGE track aftermarket... and tons of parts available for repair.

Yeah, but I realllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy like my bike. So I would have to find another for an everyday rider then.

Mr Lefty
08-06-2008, 12:26 AM
well yeah... :lol:

Phenix_Rider
08-06-2008, 07:13 AM
:lol: What I'd love to do is find a cheap rashed 650R for the track, and keep mine street only. I may have other street bikes eventually, but I'll always hang on to this one. No garage space or cash right now :(

Porkchop
08-06-2008, 11:14 AM
Is the 650R really a good track bike?? I mean i've heard of ppl tracking them and I know that there is a whole racing series full of them.... but idk, it just seems weird.

Phenix_Rider
08-06-2008, 12:21 PM
Is the 650R really a good track bike?? I mean i've heard of ppl tracking them and I know that there is a whole racing series full of them.... but idk, it just seems weird.

How's it weird? People race 50s! You got 125 and 250 GPs. The SV650 is insanely popular while the 650R is just coming into it's own.

azoomm
08-06-2008, 02:22 PM
I disagree with the first part, as I have financed every bike i've owned.
Does it cost a little more in the end? yes.
Does it pay for itself with the smiles over the miles? IMO yes.
And I'm quite sure that even with the shitty mileage that my savings in gas riding the 1125 over driving my pickup is more than my interest.

I do agree on the insurance though.

I know, I come off as harsh, I usually do. But, *toy* by definition: something that serves for or as if for diversion, rather than for serious practical use. Fun, yes. Love them, hell yes. Practical, usually really not.

It's all in what it is worth to you. Many choose the cost as an item worth it... as a trade off. That's fine. It's just my opinion, I'm not going into debt for something I want ever again.

r!der
08-06-2008, 04:57 PM
I think it's ok to finance as long as you pay it off quick before the introductory rate ends. You'll only do this by sending in 700 to 1K payments per month. Problem is, most people don't. They say, "OH WOW! I can get this shiny new bike and only pay $39 a month?!?! WHERE DO I SIGN?!?!" LOL

Phenix_Rider
08-06-2008, 07:25 PM
I know, I come off as harsh, I usually do. But, *toy* by definition: something that serves for or as if for diversion, rather than for serious practical use. Fun, yes. Love them, hell yes. Practical, usually really not.

It's all in what it is worth to you. Many choose the cost as an item worth it... as a trade off. That's fine. It's just my opinion, I'm not going into debt for something I want ever again.

Don't know about you, but I commute on two wheels. Serious transportation that's also a hell of a lot of fun. I won't finance anything I want either- I already pay way too much for school loans, and at some point I'm sure I'll have to finance a house.

azoomm
08-06-2008, 07:30 PM
Don't know about you, but I commute on two wheels. Serious transportation that's also a hell of a lot of fun. I won't finance anything I want either- I already pay way too much for school loans, and at some point I'm sure I'll have to finance a house.

My commute and work are both all about two wheels ;)

I know a few people that I see as an exception, they are two-wheeled only. As in, it's not an option for them... they ONLY ride. But, even in their cases, they didn't finance.

Look, it is easy to get sucked into living on credit. I just wish more people were smart about it. It doesn't mean all credit is bad, it's that there are too many bad options out there. Hell, I improved my credit by getting a personal loan and buying a bike with it - then paid it off early. But, I wouldn't ever finance through the dealer or one of the bonus manuf. cards.

comonboys
08-14-2008, 08:23 PM

I agree, commuting on the bike saves me easily $500 a year. Granted it rains all the damn time and we can only ride 5 months out of the year. That $500 is worth the "investment" to me.

comonboys
08-14-2008, 08:25 PM
My commute and work are both all about two wheels ;)

I know a few people that I see as an exception, they are two-wheeled only. As in, it's not an option for them... they ONLY ride. But, even in their cases, they didn't finance.

Look, it is easy to get sucked into living on credit. I just wish more people were smart about it. It doesn't mean all credit is bad, it's that there are too many bad options out there. Hell, I improved my credit by getting a personal loan and buying a bike with it - then paid it off early. But, I wouldn't ever finance through the dealer or one of the bonus manuf. cards.

I got a kick ass rate with my bike, and I had the same amount of time to pay it off as I would have through a bank.... I think if you are responsible with it there isn't any reason that financing the bike is a BAD thing. And mine was on the Kawi card. 6.9% beat anything that a bank would offer.....

Phenix_Rider
08-15-2008, 09:16 AM
I agree, commuting on the bike saves me easily $500 a year. Granted it rains all the damn time and we can only ride 5 months out of the year. That $500 is worth the "investment" to me.

Truck to the bike is ~$200 /month fuel savings.

Cutty72
08-15-2008, 12:54 PM
Truck to the bike is ~$200 /month fuel savings.

Yeah, me too. She has a car though.
Her car to my buell is damn near an equal. I only gain about 3 mpg :panic: