PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations to Honda CBR1000 winning the 2008 Master Bike shootout

fnfalman
08-04-2008, 09:29 AM
Yep. Honda CBR1000RR was the fastest in the 2008 Master Bike shootout.

Interestingly this year they also included rider's preference points or something like that. Before that, it was pretty much the fastest bike won.

Don't get me wrong the CBR1000 was the fastest bike tested, but the categories were broken down in three:

Supersport (the usual Jap Big 4 plus Triumph 675), inline 4 superbike (Jap Big 4 plus MV Agusta) and V-twins (BMW, KTM, Aprilia - Ducati bowed out because they couldn't get the 1098R to work well with this year's selected control tire). The bikes from these respective categories are pitted against each other to get selected to go to the final round. The Aprilia Mille was chosen over the KTM RC8 because of riders' preferences even though the RC8 was about .4 of a second faster.

t-homo
08-04-2008, 10:17 AM
Interesting.

Big Kahuna
08-04-2008, 01:24 PM
I'd love to ride the new 1000RR, but I think it's just too damn small for me to own. Who knows, if they make a Repsol version next year it may fit me just fine. :) I just love the bike with the Taylormade pipe installed!!!!

Rider
08-04-2008, 01:27 PM
I'd love to ride the new 1000RR, but I think it's just too damn small for me to own. Who knows, if they make a Repsol version next year it may fit me just fine. :) I just love the bike with the Taylormade pipe installed!!!!

Now that IS bad ass!!! :drool:

dReWpY
08-04-2008, 01:32 PM
they look like 250's

Mr Lefty
08-04-2008, 04:38 PM
that talormade pipe is awesome...

wonder why they didn't have a 1125R in the mix though. :idk:

fnfalman
08-04-2008, 07:49 PM
that talormade pipe is awesome...

wonder why they didn't have a 1125R in the mix though. :idk:

I was thinking the same thing too. Supposedly Ducati pussed out because they couldn't get the chassis setup right with the test tire (Bridgestone, I think) and that under heavy braking, the tire kept rubbing against the forward cylinder head. So the 1098R didn't run.

Mr Lefty
08-04-2008, 07:59 PM
That's fuck'n retarded! so under hard braking there's that little space between the tire and the front cylinder head?! damn...

Now that Buell has addressed the fuel mapping issues I'd love to see a comparison done... that was the big gripe in all the comapro's done last year. :tt:

sfarson
08-04-2008, 08:41 PM
Indeed, congrats to Honda. There's value in considering "preferences" as a part of the evaluation. What matters to many isn't just how fast one can get from A to B on a sporting ride, but the experience in doing so.

Phenix_Rider
08-04-2008, 09:59 PM
Control tires were Dunlop D209- euro spec. Pirelli couldn't get their shit together in time.

They did have the BMW HP2 in the mix, but I don't recall it doing all that well. The Triumph did well, but the MV disappointed.

WildKat
08-05-2008, 12:35 AM
Honda spent so long in the middle of the pack during the 900RR, 929, & 954RR years that it's nice to see them back on top with the wicked 1000. I sat on one at the stealership and it was quite comfortable considering what it's made to do.

Big Kahuna
08-05-2008, 01:19 AM
Honda spent so long in the middle of the pack during the 900RR, 929, & 954RR years that it's nice to see them back on top with the wicked 1000. I sat on one at the stealership and it was quite comfortable considering what it's made to do.Are you kidding? the 900RR owned everything from 93-97. The R1 came out in 98 and knocked them off the block. Also, Honda owned the top speed/power title for years until the busa and similar bikes emerged.

Honda has always been about building bikes for the street first. Honda has some of the most refined bikes on the market and to me and other Honda riders, they have never lost touch with what really matters in the real world of motorcycling. :)

Mr Lefty
08-05-2008, 01:26 AM
Are you kidding? the 900RR owned everything from 93-97. The R1 came out in 98 and knocked them off the block. Also, Honda owned the top speed/power title for years until the busa and similar bikes emerged.

Honda has always been about building bikes for the street first. Honda has some of the most refined bikes on the market and to me and other Honda riders, they have never lost touch with what really matters in the real world of motorcycling. :)

actually I think of honda as starting the more performance orrented 600s... with the 600RR. granted they still offer the F4i

I like the honda's and think they're probably the best built bikes of the Big 4...

fnfalman
08-05-2008, 08:26 AM
They did have the BMW HP2 in the mix, but I don't recall it doing all that well.
Consider that the BMW had less than 120-HP to the rear wheel and with a wheelbase that is about 2" longer than the competitors, it did pretty well for not getting lapped.

dReWpY
08-05-2008, 10:41 AM
Are you kidding? the 900RR owned everything from 93-97. The R1 came out in 98 and knocked them off the block. Also, Honda owned the top speed/power title for years until the busa and similar bikes emerged.

I agree with everything you said, but had to laugh at that, my reason; the wild child rc51, attention to detail, yes. refined, hardly :lol:

but they do make some of the most reliable, refined, attention to detail bullet proof bikes

Big Kahuna
08-05-2008, 11:13 AM
I agree with everything you said, but had to laugh at that, my reason; the wild child rc51, attention to detail, yes. refined, hardly :lol:I think for a twin, it's pretty refined. :)