PDA

View Full Version : almost done

NONE_too_SOFT
08-04-2008, 10:30 PM
Just heard from ronayers.com (GREAT site for oem parts) and my order is shipping this week, containing the last bits and pieces i need to get my bike all dolled up with skin again.

Gonna have to set the new plastics back and make it a winter project, so im gonna paint it up. Gonna start sanding tomorrow.

I've read a lot of guys doing rattle can jobs with mixxed results, and same for air brush. Im really not TOO worried about the looks of the paint, as my front is a POS anyways, and i'll be replacing it sometime soon. I do have a compressor, so im leaning towards an airbrush (as i'll be able to re-use it) i've been told i can get one for 40 bucks at walmart. But the rattle can would save cash, and ive seen some actual nice examples of it.

input, please.

JoJoYZF
08-04-2008, 10:35 PM
If you take your time and prep it right you can get pretty decent results from an air can. If you want it to look the best possible just really focus on the prep work and use the air brush. Either way, the prep for any painting project is a huge part if you want it turning out nice.

Mr Lefty
08-04-2008, 11:22 PM
PREP is HUGE... but also make'n sure you take your time... don't get too heavy... helps ya keep it even on the larger pieces

ceo012384
08-04-2008, 11:37 PM
mrcycles.com can usually beat ronayers for parts.

if you don't care about looks just rattlecan. even if you do care about looks, rattlecan can come out very nicely if you prep carefully... fine wetsand... remove all the sanding dust with tack cloth, primer, sand and tack, color, sand and tack, clear, very fine sand and buff, etc etc...

OneSickPsycho
08-05-2008, 09:11 AM
And if you fuck up the rattlecan or just aren't satisfied, you really only have time invested, not a whole lot of money.

Phenix_Rider
08-05-2008, 03:42 PM
Get a decent sprayer, but make sure your compressor will run it. If you don't have enough pressure or flow, the results could be nasty. I'll rattle can my track plastics, but I don't much care how they look.

NONE_too_SOFT
08-05-2008, 04:00 PM
mrcycles.com can usually beat ronayers for parts.

if you don't care about looks just rattlecan. even if you do care about looks, rattlecan can come out very nicely if you prep carefully... fine wetsand... remove all the sanding dust with tack cloth, primer, sand and tack, color, sand and tack, clear, very fine sand and buff, etc etc...
Thx for the heads up. Can i borrow your time machine and go back in time to utilize that important information?

And if you fuck up the rattlecan or just aren't satisfied, you really only have time invested, not a whole lot of money.

Which is why i think im gonna rattle can right off the bat. just go out and buy 4 or 5 cans of primer, and then what would go on after that?

Phoenix, reason im not leaning towards a sprayer is exactly that. i could only really afford a cheap one, unless i was going to fabricate my own paint out of goat blood and motor oil.

Phenix_Rider
08-05-2008, 05:02 PM
Phoenix, reason im not leaning towards a sprayer is exactly that. i could only really afford a cheap one, unless i was going to fabricate my own paint out of goat blood and motor oil.

Yeah- good paint is expensive. I think a gun would be under $100 for a decent one, but primer, paint, and clear will wipe you out.

NONE_too_SOFT
08-05-2008, 05:20 PM
just got done plastic welding the last little parts. fit the ram air tubes onto the front fairing, along with the headlights, and everything is fitting near perfect so far. worried i may be missing a few nuts or fairing bolts, but i over-bought some items so i should be able to make due without a trip to the shop.

package is expected to arrive tomorrow.
http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/8883/attid025e6984fr3.jpg

Amber Lamps
08-05-2008, 07:05 PM
Thx for the heads up. Can i borrow your time machine and go back in time to utilize that important information?

Which is why i think im gonna rattle can right off the bat. just go out and buy 4 or 5 cans of primer, and then what would go on after that?

Shit,have you seen the price of goats blood lately? You'd think OPEC was in charge of that too! I don't know about them being cheaper than Ron Ayers but I get 20% off the top so that may be why...:whistle:

Oh and I agree with the rattle can guys,and make sure you get the primer made for plastic. It's more expensive but you'll thank me later...

NONE_too_SOFT
08-05-2008, 07:15 PM
Shit,have you seen the price of goats blood lately? You'd think OPEC was in charge of that too! I don't know about them being cheaper than Ron Ayers but I get 20% off the top so that may be why...:whistle:

Oh and I agree with the rattle can guys,and make sure you get the primer made for plastic. It's more expensive but you'll thank me later...

thx for the solid advice!(before the fact, rather than after)

Dnyce
08-05-2008, 11:39 PM
if u dont sand it, mite as well not even do it. dont have to be meticulous with it for a decent job like ceo was saying, but i garantee itll look like shit if u just load it up with primer the way it sits now, and then load more yellow on top of it.

if you wana take the time to do it right, ill explain in detail what ceo was talkin about, and what steps u can skip-if ur already kinda set on a 40mph/40ft paint job, i wont bother:dthumb:

JoJoYZF
08-05-2008, 11:49 PM
if u dont sand it, mite as well not even do it. dont have to be meticulous with it for a decent job like ceo was saying, but i garantee itll look like shit if u just load it up with primer the way it sits now, and then load more yellow on top of it.

if you wana take the time to do it right, ill explain in detail what ceo was talkin about, and what steps u can skip-if ur already kinda set on a 40mph/40ft paint job, i wont bother:dthumb:

Same here, I can give you some pretty solid advice on it if you run into any issues. And like tigger said, definitely go with a plastic specific primer, itll adhere a lot better that way. Other than that youll really only need the paint you want to use, some tack cloths, fine grit sand paper, and the clear coat.

Dnyce
08-05-2008, 11:52 PM
jojo's in ohio too, he can supervise in person or by phone :whistle: no excuse for a shitty lookin honda now buddy.

JoJoYZF
08-05-2008, 11:54 PM
jojo's in ohio too, he can supervise in person or by phone :whistle: no excuse for a shitty lookin honda now buddy.

True, I actually live about a half hour from him. I got my stand from him.

Dnyce
08-06-2008, 12:02 AM
True, I actually live about a half hour from him. I got my stand from him.

oh shit no fuckin excuse now

the chi
08-06-2008, 12:06 AM
these guys are right...

rattle can if you prep right...but dont waste money on a cheap sprayer, get a good one...

you saw all the painting I did with my old honda, been there done that a few times...

problem with rattle can is after awhile it will start looking like crap no matter what you do...especially the gas tank if you spill gas on it! But to get her up n running for now, do what ya gotta do, make a friend later who paints well!!

Prep by sanding plastics nice and smooth, clean'em then do it again, prime it, (i wet sand it as well here sometimes, others may not) then paint her up, let it set up good, wet sand any imperfections, then clear coat it and wet sand again...tedious, but worth it if you do it right, just make sure not to spray it on tooo thick, else it will look like crap...cant wait to see it babe!

Mr Lefty
08-06-2008, 12:29 AM
anyone wanna come down to Mississippi and paint some track plastics for... I mean with me?

the chi
08-06-2008, 12:30 AM
anyone wanna come down to Mississippi and paint some track plastics for... I mean with me?

spaz, u know I'll help, but you can bring your happy ass to Florida!

Mr Lefty
08-06-2008, 12:38 AM
and bring them over there? I'll have my own garage... and not have to take up yours...err... ybslow's :lol:

the chi
08-06-2008, 12:41 AM
and bring them over there? I'll have my own garage... and not have to take up yours...err... ybslow's :lol:

uh huh. complaining about the assistance offered. Sheesh. My tools, my shared garage...

:lol:

Mr Lefty
08-06-2008, 12:46 AM
no... it's just I don't wanna eat up someones garage while I wait for the fairings to cure... ya know?

the chi
08-06-2008, 12:48 AM
no... it's just I don't wanna eat up someones garage while I wait for the fairings to cure... ya know?

cuz it would so suck having to hang out with me and my crew for a weekend of riding and chilling..uh huh, TOTALLY logical...

dork.

Mr Lefty
08-06-2008, 12:51 AM
cuz it would so suck having to hang out with me and my crew for a weekend of riding and chilling..uh huh, TOTALLY logical...

dork.

no cause I'd rather have you at myplace for the weekend :wink: :lol:

Gas Man
08-06-2008, 01:16 AM
Ebbs.. you're a fuckin idiot if you pass up offerings like that! Just sayin bud! :D

Mr Lefty
08-06-2008, 01:22 AM
:lol: who said I'm passing it up? I'm just giving her shit...

Gas Man
08-06-2008, 01:27 AM
:lol: who said I'm passing it up? I'm just giving her shit...
As I am you...