PDA

View Full Version : Track Plastics

Mr Lefty
08-05-2008, 05:19 PM
So just wondering... what are the better brands to look at for track plastics?

I've heard Hotbodies don't fit well... I think I've heard Cheetah were good... same with Shark Skinz but i've also seen Rockwall and Air-Tech. :idk:

just wondering. figure'n I'll be doing at least a couple once I get to MS... and considering my fairings are 600 for JUST the two stock side fairings combined... I might as well just get full track skins for a couple hundred more

DLIT
08-05-2008, 06:07 PM
Attack, Cheetah, the Woodcraft brand (CEO has 'em) and a couple others I forget. I have Attack and they're tits. $800, but they're worth it, they don't brak down in a wreck and if it's just a lowside, chances are good you can use them again no problem.

Mr Lefty
08-05-2008, 06:08 PM
cool... yeah I've heard the fitment of them is also quite a bit better.

DLIT
08-05-2008, 06:09 PM
I drilled through the center of their indents and I had no problems at all, didn't have to make any adjustments. Quality shit.

Mr Lefty
08-05-2008, 06:10 PM
Good to know... I'll look into them... got a long while before I need them.

Trip
08-05-2008, 06:16 PM
Seriously, I wouldn't buy expensive track glass. Find something under $500. They all hold up pretty well nowadays. Hell my e-racing china crap is one of the best rated for the 600rr. Several people including myself have had nasty wrecks and they hold up just find. Remember you are buying these for one purpose, to save you money. You aren't saving money if you go out and buy expensive glass and wreck the piss out of it.

DLIT
08-05-2008, 06:20 PM
If you want your bike to look good, buy the top notch stuff, the finish is excellent, as well as the durability. It's up to you, Ebbs. I like my shit clean so I had the wife (g/f then) buy me Attacks for our 4-year anniversary. Otherwise I woulda bought 'em myself.

Trip
08-05-2008, 06:23 PM
If you want your bike to look good, buy the top notch stuff, the finish is excellent, as well as the durability. It's up to you, Ebbs. I like my shit clean so I had the wife (g/f then) buy me Attacks for our 4-year anniversary. Otherwise I woulda bought 'em myself.

Ain't nothing wrong with the e-racings man, I have seen my shit compared to other brands and it's just as good quality and fitment. I have seen people complain about the gixxer mold on eracings though. 07-08 600rr is perfect though. The hot bodies shit is the worst I have seen, I wouldn't buy hot bodies.

I bit it at 108 mph high sided, shit held up awesome, better than I could expect for that kind of wreck. Durability was much more than I can ask for, for what I spent. As far as clean, that's just who you get to paint it. Any painter worth his salt can get em clean.

DLIT
08-05-2008, 06:30 PM
The e-racings I saw looked like shit. He also lowsided that day and they held up good. I'm talking about the finish straight from the factory. Smooth as glass on the higher priced shit. if you got the money, get the better stuff. if not, get the cheaper stuff and do more prep work if you want a solid paint job.

Mr Lefty
08-05-2008, 08:15 PM
Trip where did you get your set from?

Trip
08-05-2008, 08:19 PM
Trip where did you get your set from?

group buy on the wera forum, i think you can find them on ebay

www.eracings.com, huh looks like they are going out of business, that sucks I really liked my set

http://www.e-racings.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=21&Itemid=28

Cutty72
08-05-2008, 08:25 PM
My thoughts... and I know I'm no where near as anal as Dlit. Get cheap(er) track glass... cause it's just the track.
At that point i'd rather go out with a ratty looking bike and smoke everyone lap after lap.
Pretty paint doesn't make you go fast.

Mr Lefty
08-05-2008, 08:37 PM
yeah found it trip... thanks... but they don't offer any for my bike... GAY!

and yeah I'm with you Cutty... maybe later... when/if I get a straight track bike... but for this... I'll go with what I can afford as long as it's not TOO shitty fitment...

Trip
08-05-2008, 08:41 PM
yeah found it trip... thanks... but they don't offer any for my bike... GAY!

and yeah I'm with you Cutty... maybe later... when/if I get a straight track bike... but for this... I'll go with what I can afford as long as it's not TOO shitty fitment...

yeah seriously, if you spend $800+ on good plastics and whatever a decent painter costs, you might as well just risk your street plastics because you can get replacements on ebay for cheaper. I got track skins for one reason, save money in the event of an accident.

Phenix_Rider
08-05-2008, 08:48 PM
yeah seriously, if you spend $800+ on good plastics and whatever a decent painter costs, you might as well just risk your street plastics because you can get replacements on ebay for cheaper. I got track skins for one reason, save money in the event of an accident.

Yep. I found Hot Bodies for the 650R for under $500- guess what I got. Cheetah and Catalyst are supposed to have great stuff- for $300-400 more- but I'm not running track plastics on the street. I'll sand any rough spots- so what if it takes a little time? That $300-400 is a new helmet or jacket or pants or boots, etc.

Cutty72
08-05-2008, 08:59 PM
or tires

Dnyce
08-05-2008, 09:02 PM
i found a company on ebay with cheap track plastics for 269-but i cant recommend em really because i ordered a cf front fender from em like 3weeks ago, and they just told yesterday (after i bitched at em) that its going to be shipped out next friday. if shipping time isnt a issue, here ya go.

clicky
(http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-02-zx6r-zx6-05-07-zzr600-FULL-RACE-FAIRINGS-BODYWORK_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742Q2em153Q2e l1262QQcategoryZ35583QQihZ017QQitemZ270258853636)

for some reason, they dont have pics for your bike, so check the pics of the other kits. or email/call em. cant beat that price tho. their feedback is gd, just the shipping time seems long

Mr Lefty
08-05-2008, 09:04 PM
ehh shipping I could care less... I'll order them well in advance... cool... have to check it out at home... military doesn't like e-bay :lol:

DLIT
08-05-2008, 11:47 PM
My thoughts... and I know I'm no where near as anal as Dlit. Get cheap(er) track glass... cause it's just the track.
At that point i'd rather go out with a ratty looking bike and smoke everyone lap after lap.
Pretty paint doesn't make you go fast.

Well I'm anal...and I'm fast.

the chi
08-06-2008, 12:34 AM
why does no one else just track nekked? Then you dont HAVE to worry about paying out cash for plastics or jacking them up...less shit to ruin if it goes down...:whistle:

hoping to start working on mine this month, learn to fiber glass...if you get a cheap set, go for one thats already been fitted to the bike and drilled, NOT one that is sposed to fit and doesnt really...thinkin once i get mine, I can firm up my upper body and head positioning technique...

DLIT
08-06-2008, 12:54 AM
I don't plan on going down, maybe that's why I like my things nice. Will I go down? Probably. But I'm not racing, so I don't need to push it that extra little bit. And if I do go down and the 'glass is still usable, the paint will stay that way. Then I'll stop caring about the looks. I don't ride slower because I'm worried about wrecking and damaging my plastics, I just like them to look kick ass while I'm riding.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u58/DLITALIEN/Pro%20Shots/5-17-08110.jpg

Mr Lefty
08-06-2008, 05:36 AM
well there's no doubt your bike looks good DLit... but until I really know if I'm gonna be able to afford a bunch of track days... I don't wanna sink TO much into the hobby before I find out if I can really afford to get addicted...

I'll have a new house... so don't know...

Phenix_Rider
08-06-2008, 07:08 AM
why does no one else just track nekked? Then you dont HAVE to worry about paying out cash for plastics or jacking them up...less shit to ruin if it goes down...:whistle:

hoping to start working on mine this month, learn to fiber glass...if you get a cheap set, go for one thats already been fitted to the bike and drilled, NOT one that is sposed to fit and doesnt really...thinkin once i get mine, I can firm up my upper body and head positioning technique...

Less to ruin? My theory is that the plastics will help protect the frame and tank and forks. Kind of like the hard shell of your helmet. Now that may be an idea... Throw some EPS on the inside of the track plastics :wink:

the chi
08-06-2008, 10:25 AM
Less to ruin? My theory is that the plastics will help protect the frame and tank and forks. Kind of like the hard shell of your helmet. Now that may be an idea... Throw some EPS on the inside of the track plastics :wink:

Lets see, and use a lil logic here, rough for boys I know but...:lol:

Street plastics on a bike at the track. You wreck good, you total not only the plastics, but everything underneath (frame, tank and forks). MAJOR CASH out for that one...

Track Plastics - same scenario - wreck with flair, take out plastics and bike (again, frame tank and forks)...

Running Nekked - wreck with flair, take out bike, but no plastics. Not out the cash for plastic replacement, spend extra money from not replacing plastics on aftermarket versus stock replacement parts!!

And just a heads up, your plastics arent gonna protect a whole lot...ask someone who has wrecked.

Frame sliders are there to protect the frame, your plastics really wont do jack. Until or unless you are a licensed racer, theres not much sense in removing those sliders either...but most of the ones I know still have them on...

You flip the bike like speedracer did, NO amount of race plastics or anything else is gonna save that tank or the forks. It's totaled.

Your most common lost parts arent even near the plastics...rear sets, levers, clip ons...

so in conclusion, race plastics just look cool and give you the feel of your bike still on the street, as for protection, not quite what you are thinking...

The important lesson here is try NOT to wreck however...

Trip
08-06-2008, 10:26 AM
I don't plan on going down, maybe that's why I like my things nice.

Then why have track glass?

Rider
08-06-2008, 10:27 AM

That's what I was thinking. :idk:

Trip
08-06-2008, 10:27 AM
so in conclusion, race plastics just look cool and give you the feel of your bike still on the street, as for protection, not quite what you are thinking...

The important lesson here is try NOT to wreck however...

I crashed in my race plastics and they faired well and were easily brought back to a decent shape with fiberglass repair. You don't always need to replace them.

the chi
08-06-2008, 10:28 AM
I crashed in my race plastics and they faired well and were easily brought back to a decent shape with fiberglass repair. You don't always need to replace them.

fair enough, but you didnt try to take yourself out like speed racer did...mine are repairable as well, his however arent and require replacement...my point is that they didnt save the bike from damage to frame, forks or all those small parts...

Trip
08-06-2008, 10:33 AM
fair enough, but you didnt try to take yourself out like speed racer did...mine are repairable as well, his however arent and require replacement...my point is that they didnt save the bike from damage to frame, forks or all those small parts...

Yeah, but they still provide the aero package you need for high speed tracks. Which is nice at places like Barber and Nashville.

the chi
08-06-2008, 10:38 AM
Yeah, but they still provide the aero package you need for high speed tracks. Which is nice at places like Barber and Nashville.

:lol: Thats funny...i never notice the wind when I am tracking...even at Jennings with the semi decent straight...wind, what wind? you mean theres other people on the track too??!! We def need to get you down here...

that said, im hoping to get my plastics done this month sometime...

Dnyce
08-06-2008, 10:39 AM

130+mph on a naked bike sux, no matter how much u try and tuck.

the chi
08-06-2008, 10:41 AM
130+mph on a naked bike sux, no matter how much u try and tuck.

bwahahaha...thats funny...im not tall enough to really see over the front of mine guys, runnin nekked doesnt make that much difference to me, especially when Im hanging off neways...

papapoi
08-06-2008, 10:45 AM
Hmm i usually wear close when im running 130 :idk:

the chi
08-06-2008, 10:52 AM
Hmm i usually wear close when im running 130 :idk:

smartass!

dReWpY
08-06-2008, 10:53 AM
:lol: Thats funny...i never notice the wind when I am tracking...even at Jennings with the semi decent straight...wind, what wind? you mean theres other people on the track too??!! We def need to get you down here...

that said, im hoping to get my plastics done this month sometime...

at 150mph you might feel a slight breeze

papapoi
08-06-2008, 10:54 AM
:idk:

the chi
08-06-2008, 10:58 AM
at 150mph you might feel a slight breeze

who the hell gets up to 150 mph on a track? :lol:

DLIT
08-06-2008, 03:51 PM

I said I don't PLAN on it. Doesn't mean I'm not going to. Track glass is way cheaper than stock plastics.

Mr Lefty
08-06-2008, 04:18 PM
bwahahaha...thats funny...im not tall enough to really see over the front of mine guys, runnin nekked doesnt make that much difference to me, especially when Im hanging off neways...

how do you get the phone book to stay on your seat at the track?

the chi
08-06-2008, 04:21 PM
how do you get the phone book to stay on your seat at the track?

remind me to beat you with said phone book in approximately 30 days...

nm, you'd like it...

Mr Lefty
08-06-2008, 04:30 PM
oh yeah... you know what I like... phone books being beat against my knee

JoJoYZF
08-06-2008, 08:20 PM
oh yeah... you know what I like... phone books being beat against my knee

Big words from someone's bitch...

Mr Lefty
08-06-2008, 08:21 PM
hey... didn't you get fuck'n owned by a log while sledding?

JoJoYZF
08-06-2008, 08:25 PM
hey... didn't you get fuck'n owned by a log while sledding?

Better a big ass log then a little girl, nice try though princess

Mr Lefty
08-06-2008, 08:27 PM
actually it was by TRIP... Rae couldn't have done shit with out him... damn uncle tom

Trip
08-06-2008, 08:29 PM
actually it was by TRIP... Rae couldn't have done shit with out him... damn uncle tom

Well you have been able to change it back since about 6, but you haven't. :lol: You must like it.

JoJoYZF
08-06-2008, 08:30 PM

Fair enough, lost on the uncle tom thing though

Mr Lefty
08-06-2008, 08:30 PM
well I tried once... didn't have access... haven't tried since then... fuckers

Fair enough, lost on the uncle tom thing though

he's a traitor

JoJoYZF
08-06-2008, 08:31 PM
well I tried once... didn't have access... haven't tried since then... fuckers

he's a traitor

Ahh, gotcha

ceo012384
08-07-2008, 04:53 PM
Attack, Cheetah, the Woodcraft brand (CEO has 'em) and a couple others I forget. I have Attack and they're tits. $800, but they're worth it, they don't brak down in a wreck and if it's just a lowside, chances are good you can use them again no problem.
Yeah mine are Armour Bodies. Woodcraft sells them and I think they were giving out free sets of frame sliders when you buy a set recently.

Personally I wouldn't buy the cheap shit because, from what I have seen (and trip will disagree since his seem to fit ok and held up well in his wrecks), the fit is poor, it's heavy, it's not flexible, you'll have to do a TON of prep if you want it to look good, and the fiberglass is cheaply put together.

If you take a shitty upper and flex it all over the place you'll hear crackles and pops like rice crispy treats and the flex isn't very good.

You pick up Armour Bodies (best bang for the buck IMO) or Sharkskinz and the flex is crazy and makes no noise at all.

The painter I went to fully agreed with me on all of this pretty much...

Basically, sharkskinz has no equal. Nothing compares. If you have the cash, go for it.

A very small step down in quality and a decent step down in price will get you Armour Bodies, great deal for what you're getting.

You can keep going down from there if your budget requires. Eracings is cheap both quality and money-wise from the sets I've seen, but you do get bang for your buck.

Mr Lefty
08-07-2008, 04:59 PM
well Armour Bodies doesn't make anything for my bike... damnit... that's gonna be my biggest problem i think.

Trip
08-07-2008, 05:00 PM
I have seen poor fitting e-racings, especially on the gixxers, I wouldn't get e-racings for gixxers and I think ontwo would agree with me on that. Mine are very light, but I agree on the flex. Flex of these is very poor, but since they fit properly, I don't have to flex them much. I would get these again in a heartbeat though. I am very happy with the quality they were after getting them painted, not so much anymore cause I gave them a good beating. I will probably have em repainted in the offseason after I patched them up and clayed the scratches though.

ceo012384
08-07-2008, 05:06 PM
Flex of these is very poor, but since they fit properly, I don't have to flex them much.
I gotcha... and yes flex is important for fitment... but I meant flex in a crash situation.

If they can't flex well and you hit hard, they'll just fuckin' crack. I'm surprised yours didn't crack when you highsided...? Or did the bike not hit that hard?

Trip
08-07-2008, 05:21 PM
I gotcha... and yes flex is important for fitment... but I meant flex in a crash situation.

If they can't flex well and you hit hard, they'll just fuckin' crack. I'm surprised yours didn't crack when you highsided...? Or did the bike not hit that hard?

My took a fucking beating on impact and then slid for fucking ever with me laying on it. It burned away the fiberglass on the part that was laying on the ground, but never cracked. Held fine.

Cutty72
08-09-2008, 07:10 PM
who the hell gets up to 150 mph on a track? :lol:

I do.
Front straight, every time. 150+

and I run semi nude... aka buell stock form.