PDA

View Full Version : A Canadian music icon dies

Papa_Complex
09-24-2012, 07:26 AM
Sam Sniderman, founder of the "Sam the Record Man" chain of stores, has died at age 92. His main store, in the heart of Toronto, was an icon. With the rise of downloads and financial issues all of the stores closed, some years back.

The university bought the site of the main store and, as it was a local icon, we had to promise to put the sign back up when our new building goes in. Many of you would have seen the revolving record neon sign in various Hollywood movies, but wouldn't have known what it was. For example it was in the night street scene, where The Hulk trashed a bunch of cars.

Sniderman was a power in the Canadian music scene. If he didn't sell your records, you weren't selling any.

Sam's closing: http://torontoist.com/2007/06/sam_the_record_1/

Sam dies: http://www.torontosun.com/2012/09/23/sam-the-record-man-sniderman-dies

Gas Man
09-25-2012, 04:25 AM
WOW. I stayed at the Delta right across the street (Jones st?) from that. Although I have no idea who he is... I just know the store.

Papa_Complex
09-25-2012, 06:56 AM
WOW. I stayed at the Delta right across the street (Jones st?) from that. Although I have no idea who he is... I just know the store.

That's on Gerrard, just a block up from where the store used to be along Yonge Street. When the chain of stores started to close they held onto the 'flagship' original store as long as they could, but ultimately couldn't keep in open any longer. Now it's a hole in the ground and some concrete footings.

Just goes to show how much things have changed, in a relatively short time.

Trip
09-25-2012, 07:26 AM
Canadian and Music should not go together EVAR. For everyone of decent quality you provide the world, you produce the horror that is Bryan Adams and Celine Dion. Your music making privileges are revoked.

Papa_Complex
09-25-2012, 08:34 AM
Canadian and Music should not go together EVAR. For everyone of decent quality you provide the world, you produce the horror that is Bryan Adams and Celine Dion. Your music making privileges are revoked.

Well SOMEONE has to make money off the American Mid-West. We also have hotties who can really sing, like Nelly Furtado. Forget what she's signing and listen to the voice. Diana Krall; awesome jazz singer. Sara MacLachlan; the ubiquitous Canadian songstress.

Then there's The Barenaked Ladies; a Toronto area bar band that I used to see hawking their CDs in club parking lots after they had played, but became so successful that they became a parody of themselves. The Wild Strawberries. The Watchmen. Junkhouse. The Tragically Hip.And one of my all-time favourites, Northern Pikes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG3ExHB133k

We also make it up in film making, with David Cronenberg. He also likes Ducatis.

Trip
09-25-2012, 08:42 AM
Nelly Furtado
Fuck you...her music sucks...she needs to follow the Elisha Cuthbert just look pretty model

Diana Krall
eh, she doesn't bother me

Barenaked Ladies
Fuck you with dildo ribbed with shark teeth

You didn't help yourself with two of those, lol

Dave
09-25-2012, 09:45 AM
No more checking out the late night record shop downtown in the rain...

Adeptus_Minor
09-25-2012, 10:23 AM
And one of my all-time favourites, Northern Pikes.

Hah! My friends and I heard that song back in college and it was an instant hit with us.
:dthumb:

Papa_Complex
09-25-2012, 10:23 AM
Nelly Furtado
Fuck you...her music sucks...she needs to follow the Elisha Cuthbert just look pretty model
Like I said, forget the music and listen to the voice. Get her singing something other than pop and she could really be something. She's also fucking awesomely hot in person.

Diana Krall
eh, she doesn't bother me
Another great voice, but actually suited to the music she sings.

Barenaked Ladies
Fuck you with dildo ribbed with shark teeth
Can't argue with success.

You didn't help yourself with two of those, lol

You're applying personal taste and calling it absolute. Life just don't work that way. I think that 99.9% of Prince's music sucks platypus balls, but I can't deny that he's a talented motherfucker ;)

Papa_Complex
09-25-2012, 10:26 AM
Hah! My friends and I heard that song back in college and it was an instant hit with us.
:dthumb:

They've got a lot of good stuff. They still get together, every now and then, to do gigs at little festivals and stuff. I saw them maybe 5 years ago on New Year's Eve, at a little outdoor bandstand at Brampton City Hall.

The Things I Do For Money.

Papa_Complex
09-25-2012, 10:27 AM
No more checking out the late night record shop downtown in the rain...

... said the pedagogue.

Trip
09-25-2012, 10:53 AM
You're applying personal taste and calling it absolute. Life just don't work that way. I think that 99.9% of Prince's music sucks platypus balls, but I can't deny that he's a talented motherfucker ;)

Celine Dion is successful and she is one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse. Barenaked ladies suck balls.

Papa_Complex
09-25-2012, 12:02 PM
Celine Dion is successful and she is one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse. Barenaked ladies suck balls.

Think about The Barenaked Ladies in the same way that you do Weird Al or Presidents of the United States of America, and you might just grow to like them. They were essentially a musical comedy act, when they started out.

Celine is Quebec's plan to destroy your culture. I take no ownership.

Smittie61984
09-25-2012, 11:54 PM
Celine is Quebec's plan to destroy your culture. I take no ownership.

She is the anti-matter of the Universe.

You also forgot the hottest thing to ever be put on the planet. Shania Twain.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6wBxQVBozI&feature=fvst

Smittie61984
09-25-2012, 11:56 PM
Which Canada has put out some major shit. BUT through mass production, America has given the rest of the reason plenty of justification to bomb us. Cher for example.