PDA

View Full Version : UN to monitor elections

RACER X
10-25-2012, 05:20 PM
The Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE), a United Nations partner on democratization and human rights projects, will deploy 44 observers from its human rights office around the country on Election Day to monitor an array of activities, including potential disputes at polling places. It's part of a broader observation mission that will send out an additional 80 to 90 members of parliament from nearly 30 countries.

Liberal-leaning civil rights groups met with representatives from the OSCE this week to raise their fears about what they say are systematic efforts to suppress minority voters likely to vote for President Obama.

The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights, the NAACP and the ACLU, among other groups, warned this month in a letter to Daan Everts, a senior official with OSCE, of "a coordinated political effort to disenfranchise millions of Americans -- particularly traditionally disenfranchised groups like minorities."

Gregg Abbott, the texas state attorney general says no to United Nations observers at texas polling places...
he says they have no jurisdiction in Texas and that Texas law prohibits the interference of outsiders, he said he would be happy to teach them about Texas voting laws and that any UN observer who comes within 100 feet of any polling location will be arrested.

Papa_Complex
10-25-2012, 07:57 PM
Observation is not interference, but trust a Texan to lob the threat.

Trip
10-25-2012, 08:40 PM
Only steers and queers, lol

Dave
10-25-2012, 08:40 PM
poof we're third world. so, are they going to stop the new black panthers in philly?

RACER X
10-25-2012, 09:30 PM
Observation is not interference, but trust a Texan to lob the threat.

We don't need their help.

Homeslice
10-26-2012, 12:44 AM
Texas certainly has the right to enforce its laws, but I've always thought it's funny how Americans think it's ok for the UN to do stuff in every other UN nation except ours.

Papa_Complex
10-26-2012, 07:36 AM
We don't need their help.

Given that 'voting the graveyard' is a peculiar Americanism, many would say otherwise. Also, it seems to me that stopping that would generally benefit Republicans, so why would they be against THAT?

Trip
10-26-2012, 07:45 AM
Texas certainly has the right to enforce its laws, but I've always thought it's funny how Americans think it's ok for the UN to do stuff in every other UN nation except ours.

I don't, the UN is a fuckin joke. China having a say in human rights is always a laugh.

OneSickPsycho
10-26-2012, 09:00 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPlhRmRLxeU

I don't, the UN is a fuckin joke. China having a say in human rights is always a laugh.

Amongst others... The whole UN is a fucking joke.

pauldun170
10-26-2012, 10:27 AM
Independent folks
Do not care about parties
Just there to take notes

Gas Man
10-26-2012, 03:00 PM
Love Texas response...

Twobanger
10-26-2012, 04:53 PM
If they were serious, they'd be saturating the battleground states, not wasting their time in a state thats R+20 at least.

The Dems are trying to distract from their own propensity for voter fraud:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT77qP2Nai8

udman
10-26-2012, 06:53 PM
Given that 'voting the graveyard' is a peculiar Americanism, many would say otherwise. Also, it seems to me that stopping that would generally benefit Republicans, so why would they be against THAT?

The graveyard may be an Americanism but Man's Best Friend may not be...

Canada man votes using his dog's name; a 'test'
Updated 10:01 a.m., Friday, October 26, 2012

FREDERICTON, New Brunswick (AP) — An official with a Canadian political party is raising questions about the integrity of the opposition's leadership race in his province after he was able to vote using his dog's name.

Jean-Paul Soucy said Friday that he registered his dog "Pitou," or "puppy" in English, to vote online for one of the three candidates vying for the top Liberal job at Saturday's leadership convention in New Brunswick.

The executive director of the province's Conservative party says he wanted to test the Liberal voting system but couldn't use his own name because he's a member of another party.

Soucy says he was surprised when a voting package arrived in the mail for his dog.

He declined to say who he voted for.

No one from the Liberal party was immediately available to comment.

Papa_Complex
10-26-2012, 09:23 PM
The graveyard may be an Americanism but Man's Best Friend may not be...

Perhaps, but false voting registry calls to redirect opposition supporters to non existent polling stations is more common.