PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Ducati 848 vs Suzuki GSX-R750

Rider
08-12-2008, 09:22 AM
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=6900&Page=1

Gunther1000
08-12-2008, 10:27 AM
man, I don't know.. It seems like a tough call even for a guy like me who has only had in line 4's. I like the avalibility of aftermarket stuff for the gsxr and of course cost but your averag duc doesnt need much upgrading... I cant wait for KTM to come up to speed. I think they woll be a major player and possibly my first v twin.

smileyman
08-12-2008, 10:45 AM
Can't get any more sexy than that 848. Of course for everyday riding you probably would feel much more comfortable on the 750. Plus I wouldn't sweat leaving it outside Hooters at 1 am, but the Duc I would have to have a window seat to watch it like a hawk...

z06boy
08-12-2008, 11:40 AM
I like both and would take either. For the $$...sure I'd take the 750 but overall the 848 is :drool:.

Trip
08-12-2008, 03:35 PM
750 will whip the 848's ass. Ten Kate 600rrs in race trim whip the 848's ass over in europe. The 848 is just prettier in this case.

z06boy
08-13-2008, 12:49 PM
750 will whip the 848's ass. Ten Kate 600rrs in race trim whip the 848's ass over in europe. The 848 is just prettier in this case.

...plus the fact that you don't see tons of them running up and down the street like gsxr's...

According to the link in the initial post...

Okay, okay-so you're still wondering which one is best? Without a doubt these two machines are equally matched. But it all comes down to where you like to ride. If trackdays at tight and technical racetracks are your idea of fun then without a doubt the 848 is hard to beat. Its racy ergos, solid chassis and rider-friendly engine make it almost impossible not to have a good time aboard. However if you're planning on riding at faster circuits like Willow Springs big track, then the more Suzuki's forgiving chassis, extra bit of power, along with the gear ratios might suit you better.

As for which one is king on the street again, that depends on where you are riding. If you're just going to be running around town and looking for something different that will standout in a sea of Japanese sportbikes and American cruisers than by all means the 848 it is. However, if you need a fast, comfortable commuter that's easy to live with everyday and flat out eats up roads then the GSX-R's hard to beat.

smileyman
08-13-2008, 02:54 PM
Name a middleweight bike that a Ten Kate 600 rr couldn't whip anyways...Hell Tommy Hayden won some 750 superstock races back in '03 on a 636 Kawi. Doesn't mean it was necessarily just the bike though.

Bottom line, OEM Vs OEM the Suzy comes out on top performance wise, comfort wise, all around utility wise, but the Duc has passion and style, and that certain flair that makes ones hypthallamous gland squirt juicy love fluids all over...

Trip
08-13-2008, 02:57 PM
Name a middleweight bike that a Ten Kate 600 rr couldn't whip anyways...Hell Tommy Hayden won some 750 superstock races back in '03 on a 636 Kawi. Doesn't mean it was necessarily just the bike though.

Bottom line, OEM Vs OEM the Suzy comes out on top performance wise, comfort wise, all around utility wise, but the Duc has passion and style, and that certain flair that makes ones hypthallamous gland squirt juicy love fluids all over...

yeah this is definitely a performance vs pretty competition. 848 isnt a bad bike performance wise, just not a 750.

Gunther1000
08-14-2008, 09:22 AM
yeah this is definitely a performance vs pretty competition. 848 isnt a bad bike performance wise, just not a 750.

Well, Your 600 whip's my 1000 every pass thru the gap... :idk:

z06boy
08-14-2008, 12:25 PM

Pretty much sums it up right there. :dthumb:

DLIT
08-15-2008, 12:39 PM
I'd take the 848 anyday, especially after riding one. The ergos set you up perfect for aggressive riding.

Trip
08-15-2008, 12:53 PM
I'd take the 848 anyday, especially after riding one. The ergos set you up perfect for aggressive riding.

I think most people would take an 848 over a 750 just for sheer value of the bike. You would be stupid if you didn't, you could always sell it and buy a 750 and have cash left over if you really wanted a 750.

DLIT
08-15-2008, 07:16 PM
Don't care about value, you're really just paying for a name. I'd get it because of pure performance.

Dnyce
08-15-2008, 09:04 PM
Don't care about value, you're really just paying for a name. I'd get it because of pure performance.

seems everyone is saying thats exactly why theyd take the 750

im not fast enough yet to exploits the flaws in each one to tell which is better. 848 def looks better tho, probably more adjustable too, but im just guessing.

DLIT
08-16-2008, 12:51 PM
seems everyone is saying thats exactly why theyd take the 750

im not fast enough yet to exploits the flaws in each one to tell which is better. 848 def looks better tho, probably more adjustable too, but im just guessing.

Haven't rode the 750, I just fell in love with the 848's ergos when I rode it that one day. Never opened it up because it was a buddies, but handling alone I'd be all over it.

Phenix_Rider
08-16-2008, 07:06 PM
Haven't rode the 750, I just fell in love with the 848's ergos when I rode it that one day. Never opened it up because it was a buddies, but handling alone I'd be all over it.

Neither one is all that comfortable for me. The GSXR has that funky tank flair that gets in the way of long arms, and the seat is strange at the tank so it tries to pinch my legs/groin. The 848 has that squared off tank rear, and the longish reach to the bars would make it rough for a daily rider. Beautiful bike, the 848. The 750 isn't terrible either.

I'm a Kawi guy though :dthumb: Just saw an '08 zixxer anni edition with the chrome wedge/stripes. :drool: That would be incredible with white lines zapping past.