PDA

View Full Version : Pirelli Diablo Rosso

t-homo
08-14-2008, 01:21 AM
Well after this 500 mile ride to pick up Chewy, my set of Shinkos that came on the R1 are going to be shot, thankfully. I have been looking around considering tires such as the diablo stradas and the road 2cts, but started looking at the rossos recently. Reading reviews, they look pretty good, and are supposed to give better wear than most street tires, but didn't know if anyone else had experience witht them at all. Kneedraggers has them for 275 shipped for a 120/70 and 190/50.

Phenix_Rider
08-14-2008, 07:58 AM
Well, I just put on a Rosso rear and Diablo front so I'll let you know how it goes. The rear came in with a Strada sticker on it, tied to a Strada front. They had a Diablo front, so I went with the (semi) matched stickier tires. So far I like them a lot. Better than the BT020s or Pilot Roads I have run- no idea what mileage I can expect though. Not as much feedback from the front as the 'Stones, but it doesn't have the "OMFG I'm falling!" feeling the Michelin did. Only 27 miles on the set so far, but they really inspire confidence.

Trip
08-14-2008, 08:31 AM
Well, I just put on a Rosso rear and Diablo front so I'll let you know how it goes. The rear came in with a Strada sticker on it, tied to a Strada front. They had a Diablo front, so I went with the (semi) matched stickier tires. So far I like them a lot. Better than the BT020s or Pilot Roads I have run- no idea what mileage I can expect though. Not as much feedback from the front as the 'Stones, but it doesn't have the "OMFG I'm falling!" feeling the Michelin did. Only 27 miles on the set so far, but they really inspire confidence.

You don't like the nice drop in the michelins have? That was my favorite thing about PPs.

JoJoYZF
08-14-2008, 05:14 PM
You don't like the nice drop in the michelins have? That was my favorite thing about PPs.

His was also on a true Pilot Road though so it wasnt meant for much stick. Thats why Im going with a PP front and PR2 rear, longer wear but still sticky.

Phenix_Rider
08-14-2008, 07:05 PM

No- because I knew it wouldn't be long till I lost the front (again). The Pirellis I have now require a little more effort, but they're a lot more consistent. It's not *wham* you're leaning. More gradual and controlled.

sfarson
08-15-2008, 12:02 AM
The Diablo Rosso's are on the short list for the next tire set. Don't have personal experience with them, but 1098 riders are raving about them.

fnfalman
08-21-2008, 09:52 AM
No- because I knew it wouldn't be long till I lost the front (again). The Pirellis I have now require a little more effort, but they're a lot more consistent. It's not *wham* you're leaning. More gradual and controlled.

It's the other way for me. I couldn't get the Michelin to turn for shit and went back to Pirelli/Metzler.

marko138
08-21-2008, 10:47 AM
Me too. Those suckers dove into corners with a vengeance.

t-homo
08-21-2008, 11:46 AM
Well I ordered a set of em last friday and should be here on tuesday. Motorcycle superstore was the only place I could find 190/55-17 and I had to wait until yesterday for it to get to them for them to ship. I also found a 20 dollar off online coupon so with the front it was 263 shipped. There is a guy in Springfield who works for a dealership that is going to mount and balance my tires for me at his house for 40 bucks for the set! I also have a pair of klucky pucks on the way for when I start hitting the track some next spring.

t-homo
08-27-2008, 01:50 AM
Tires got in today. Tomorrow, a guy who works at a dealership is going to put them on for me after he gets off of work for 40 bucks. He has a no-mar at his house, and being that he makes a living changing tires, i'm not too worried about not going to a dealership or service shop for it.

DLIT
08-27-2008, 03:07 AM
His was also on a true Pilot Road though so it wasnt meant for much stick. Thats why Im going with a PP front and PR2 rear, longer wear but still sticky.

You're putting a Pilot Race on the rear?

Phenix_Rider
08-27-2008, 09:46 AM
You're putting a Pilot Race on the rear?

He means Pilot Road 2

JoJoYZF
08-27-2008, 09:47 AM
He means Pilot Road 2

Thank you sir

smileyman
08-27-2008, 11:18 AM
I liked the Stradas alot, better than the BT 021's I have on now. I do believe that which bike your on has alot to do with it though...My friends Duc SS was a blast on the Bridgstones, which is why I boutgh them to replace the Stradas, but they don't like my suspension setup on the ZX6. The Stradas were perfect on it. The Metzlers worked good on it to (same parent company).

fatburg
09-20-2008, 09:40 PM
I've been running the Metzler Z6's and have been pretty happy with them from the commuter side of things but still aren't great in the twisties.

so know, i have to choose between the Z6, Rosso's, Stradas, Pilot Road 2's or the new BT-016 5-layer.

Mr Lefty
09-20-2008, 09:44 PM
I'll post some pics of my strada's... but after 4k... 3500 of super slab and 500 of twisties... they're just SLIGHTLY flat spotted... and I mean SLIGHTLY.

OUTSTANDING tire IMO... never had a pucker moment with them... I'd venture to guess I could make my trip 2 more times with these same tires and still have tread to spare...

fatburg
09-20-2008, 10:05 PM
I'll post some pics of my strada's... but after 4k... 3500 of super slab and 500 of twisties... they're just SLIGHTLY flat spotted... and I mean SLIGHTLY.

OUTSTANDING tire IMO... never had a pucker moment with them... I'd venture to guess I could make my trip 2 more times with these same tires and still have tread to spare...

I was leaning toward the strada's after talking with you in Indy, but have read good stuff about the Pilot Road 2. But I'll take word of mouth over read reviews most days

Mr Lefty
09-20-2008, 10:12 PM
Cutty saw mine yesterday and was really surprised how little they showed for wear.

I never even thought about my tires other than the chain lube on my left side... and even with that... never even felt a bit of slide... and I very nearly erased my chicken strips in what... a total of 3 days of twisty riding... EVER. lol

t-homo
09-21-2008, 03:00 AM
Mine don't show hardly anything after 1000 miles of interstate.

Amber Lamps
09-21-2008, 03:50 AM
Mine don't show hardly anything after 1000 miles of interstate.

Did you get Rosso's for $263 shipped? Man,I still have another set of Diablos to wear through!:hangman:

Phenix_Rider
09-21-2008, 10:00 AM
I love the Rosso. I've heard a lot of good about the Strada though- sounds like it's nearly as grippy with better mileage.

Cutty72
09-21-2008, 01:38 PM
after about 600 miles of highway non-twisty riding, the PP's are showing a bit of flat spot.

dReWpY
04-01-2009, 12:51 PM
trock, you still liking the rosso tires?

t-homo
04-11-2009, 11:13 AM
I like em a lot, but I'm not a good enough rider to tell you the difference.