PDA

View Full Version : Not sure...

psychochild28
08-20-2008, 02:54 PM
So I'm headed back home from meeting drewp and signing papers for a new Apt :yay: I'm sitting between 75-80mph, and yes the bike goes that fast:nee: And all of a sudden i start hearing a really loud rattle/buzz sound. Thank god I'm at my work exit (which is aprox 7 miles from my apt.) So I pull over and I can still hear it with the bike in idle I give it gas and it sounds like a damn harley.

So I bend down to look at the exhaust and such and notice this dangling from the pipe...
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x157/jrohrs13/DSCI0802.jpg

Umm that's not supposed to be there... So I follow it the pipe up and sure enough the one bolt broke and the other just rattled itself loose.
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x157/jrohrs13/DSCI0803.jpg
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x157/jrohrs13/DSCI0805.jpg

So I limped the 7 miles home (seriously sounding like a harley).

And now my question is how easy is that going to be to fix or should I just replace the exhaust? (i kinda want to anyway) ANd I guess how stupid was I for riding it home?

the chi
08-20-2008, 02:59 PM
I would just like to say BRAVO!!! For finding the issue and doing what you needed to do. I think as long as one of the bolts was holding it and you werent being ridiculous on the way home, you arent dumb, you needed to get it home, and it wasnt like you had thrown a rod or something. Good job!!

Cant tell from the pics if its just a replacement issue of that one piece or if the bolt sheared off tho...details?

Damn, i could just hug you girly!!

pickle.of.doom
08-20-2008, 03:03 PM
You are going to have to use a drill and a stud puller to get that broken off one out most likely. If you or drewpy or friends aren't able or don't have the stuff to do it, an honest shop won't charge you out the ass to get that out.

psychochild28
08-20-2008, 03:03 PM
Umm yea there was two bolts holding it on before.

I'm currently waiting on drewp to get home so he can tell me the technical terms for what's wrong. I'm far from a mechanic, learning but slowly.

Rider
08-20-2008, 03:04 PM
What you hear is the exhaust leaking out between the head and the header pipe. The broken bolt should pop right out with a EZ out bit. Other than getting new stud(I'm not talking about replacing drewpy) and a new nut, you should be ok. Should be a very easy fix.

As far as damage from riding? Probably none since it was such a short distance. But continued riding could result in a bent exhaust valve.

psychochild28
08-20-2008, 03:09 PM
What you hear is the exhaust leaking out between the head and the header pipe. The broken bolt should pop right out with a EZ out bit. Other than getting new stud(I'm not talking about replacing drewpy) and a new nut, you should be ok. Should be a very easy fix.

As far as damage from riding? Probably none since it was such a short distance. But continued riding could result in a bent exhaust valve.

:lol: drewp and stud.......:lol:

Good I was kinda worried i messed something up.

So I need to get it fixed before hand or else I'm going to need to trailer it to wheeler's and the dragon on the 26th of Sept. :bash:

NONE_too_SOFT
08-20-2008, 03:26 PM
consult the JB weld thread, lol.

Just get the old nut out and find a replacement, Why replace the exaust on an old rebel?

pickle.of.doom
08-20-2008, 03:28 PM
Yeah try with a drill and an EZ Out bit first, but that may be rusted in there pretty badly.

NONE_too_SOFT
08-20-2008, 03:29 PM
Yeah try with a drill and an EZ Out bit first, but that may be rusted in there pretty badly.

worst case scenario you have to drill it out and re-tap it, and get a helicoil. no big deal.

psychochild28
08-20-2008, 05:02 PM
consult the JB weld thread, lol.

Just get the old nut out and find a replacement, Why replace the exaust on an old rebel?

you mean get the old stud out?????

I'll try to find the old nut on 24 if you try to find your pride on the side of a guard rail. :lol:

ceo012384
08-20-2008, 05:03 PM
Be very careful with the ez-out and use a center punch.

Ez-outs are a fucking misnomer :lol:

edit: header studs can be a bit of a bitch because they're baked in there, ya know? Might want to soak with PB Blaster before trying it (not WD)

MikeSP1
08-20-2008, 05:58 PM
Be very careful with the ez-out and use a center punch.

Ez-outs are a fucking misnomer :lol:

edit: header studs can be a bit of a bitch because they're baked in there, ya know? Might want to soak with PB Blaster before trying it (not WD)

And I was just gonna suggest drenching it with PBlaster. But ya, soak it in PB, center punch the stud and back it out with an EZ-out. Then install a new exhaust stud and you're good-to-go.

Gunther1000
08-22-2008, 03:49 PM
Pc, I have a set of E-Z out bolt extractors if Drewpy needs to use them. I have a shitty cordless drill that loves to run dead on me half way thru any drilling job put the bits are new and I do have a regular drill bit we can use to get it started.

It looks like maybe the other bolt might have been loose and this one broke from holding the weight of the whole exhaust. I see you take after Drewpy with the washing skills... Its not just for vanity, you really do find a lot of potental problems on the bike like loose shit when you wash it. It just helps you keep in tune with the fucker.

But ya, No damage and I have never seen a bike truely damaged from running an open exhaust. Shit most harley's out there have no back pressure what so ever.

And as for JB weld... I love the shit but I think the heat is going to be working against you on this one.

If you need to use the garage and tools just let me know!

(and Ya I do have a garden hose also... = ) :whistle:

NONE_too_SOFT
08-22-2008, 03:58 PM
you mean get the old stud out?????

I'll try to find the old nut on 24 if you try to find your pride on the side of a guard rail. :lol:

You're hilarious. ya i meant get the old stud out.

Gas Man
08-23-2008, 10:07 PM
Yeah get that old stud out, then get a new one. Then do yourself a favor... buy a bunch more of the nuts for your flanges... you will need to double nut the new stud for installation but then double nut the rest of your flange nuts. Will prevent you from loosing any more studs.

I have been double nutting the exhausts on the bikes I work on in my garage.... I have lost a few myself before doing this.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/Lift%20Wrenching/Dave/BigDay035.jpg
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/Lift%20Wrenching/Dave/BigDay037.jpg
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/BDM/Wrenchin/BigDay034.jpg

dReWpY
08-25-2008, 06:47 PM
Pc, I have a set of E-Z out bolt extractors if Drewpy needs to use them. I have a shitty cordless drill that loves to run dead on me half way thru any drilling job put the bits are new and I do have a regular drill bit we can use to get it started.

It looks like maybe the other bolt might have been loose and this one broke from holding the weight of the whole exhaust. I see you take after Drewpy with the washing skills... Its not just for vanity, you really do find a lot of potental problems on the bike like loose shit when you wash it. It just helps you keep in tune with the fucker.

But ya, No damage and I have never seen a bike truely damaged from running an open exhaust. Shit most harley's out there have no back pressure what so ever.

And as for JB weld... I love the shit but I think the heat is going to be working against you on this one.

If you need to use the garage and tools just let me know!

(and Ya I do have a garden hose also... = ) :whistle:

bought the stud and nuts today, will def hit you up shortly to get it all set up and ridable

Gunther1000
08-26-2008, 10:06 AM
bought the stud and nuts today, will def hit you up shortly to get it all set up and ridable

Sounds good...

Switch
08-26-2008, 10:10 AM
Take it to a machine shop.