PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys...

ceo012384
08-20-2008, 04:58 PM
... keep a track riding journal like Keith Code suggests in his books?

I keep a turn by turn journal on my computer that I typed up. I update it after each visit to the track.

It's specific to NHMS so I'll only post it if people are interested. But in general it has helped me a lot.

Each time I return home from the track I'll put down what I did, what I changed, how it felt, what goals I set out to meet, which ones I met and didn't, what goals I should consider for next time.... etc etc etc.

Anyone else as OCD as me?

marko138
08-20-2008, 05:05 PM
I haven't. But it sounds like a good idea. I could see the benefit of doing so between sessions at the track. Just keeps it fresh in your mind.

smileyman
08-20-2008, 05:08 PM
I kept a set up journal but it was only gearing, suspension settings, tire pressures and stuff like that. The riding stuff just lives in my head...

ceo012384
08-20-2008, 05:11 PM
I haven't. But it sounds like a good idea. I could see the benefit of doing so between sessions at the track. Just keeps it fresh in your mind.
I sometimes make quick notes between sessions at the track. If it's a double TD I'll make some more in-depth notes between the two days. But usually it's the night after both TD's that I write something a lot more detailed.

I find it's very easy to recall all the details and reference points once you get home that evening because you've been concentrating on them for two days straight. So in between sessions scribbling when you've got other things you could be doing isn't too necessary, for me at least.
I kept a set up journal but it was only gearing, suspension settings, tire pressures and stuff like that. The riding stuff just lives in my head...
Yeah I keep set up as well.

And that's true... but if you want to make fine changes to your reference points a month later it's nice to know exactly what you were doing and where... eh?

edit: I think it's in TOTW1 where there is an excerpt from King Kenny's (or someone's) riding journal.

Trip
08-20-2008, 05:34 PM
It could be useful, but I would never read mine. I usually keep track of my setup to see what I like and what I don't.

Dnyce
08-20-2008, 09:26 PM
i do for the dragstrip-launch rpm, shift rpm, tire pressure, how it felt, how much the front wheel came up, how long it carried the front, what rpm i crossed the finish line at, did it drift left or right, reaction time, tire spin, how soon i got to wot, and the corresponding incremental times, air temp, wind, track conditions, left or right lane, and if it was the left or right side of whatever lane it was in. buyin a lil temp gun so some1 can check the tire and track temp just before i make a pass. never bothered with the track temp, and as far as the tire goes, id just try to do the burnout/staging within the same length of time.

helps ALOT with making adjustments and improving my riding, and shows where i can make a good pass better, or why it was a shitty pass. doubt its useful to anyone but me though, unless i sell the bike. goals stay the same=be consistent, and win.

DLIT
08-20-2008, 10:10 PM
Never done it. I usually go through it in my head while I'm at the track. My attention span won't allow me to stick to one.

OneSickPsycho
08-20-2008, 11:08 PM
No

Trip
08-21-2008, 09:02 AM
No

you dont ride track

BobTheBiker
08-21-2008, 11:53 AM
I dont do track, and I dont bother with a journal. I simply adjust things, take it through a certain road near me that I really like, and see how it handles. if I feel its quicker with xyz setup over zyx, and whatever lines I take, I'll stick with that setup and adjust accordingly as my skill improves.

pickle.of.doom
08-21-2008, 12:09 PM
Do your track friends tease you for writing in you diary after every session?

:D

DLIT
08-21-2008, 03:35 PM
I dont do track, and I dont bother with a journal. I simply adjust things, take it through a certain road near me that I really like, and see how it handles. if I feel its quicker with xyz setup over zyx, and whatever lines I take, I'll stick with that setup and adjust accordingly as my skill improves.

No offense, but your skill wll improve significantly once you upgrade from a '92 500. Just a thought, I'm sure you still love riding it.

DIMford
08-22-2008, 09:59 AM
I just started after my last track weekend. That way I am not starting from scratch everytime I go to a track I have been too. I have also started a suspension log.

ceo012384
08-24-2008, 11:09 PM
I just started after my last track weekend. That way I am not starting from scratch everytime I go to a track I have been too. I have also started a suspension log.
Nice... it helps me a lot. The only way to get consistent is to keep track of all your RPs IMO.

Trip
08-24-2008, 11:12 PM
lap timer vs adjustments is pretty much all I will consider. The XT ultra lap timer was one of my best investments for track days behind plastics and wheels.