PDA

View Full Version : Pro Grip SCS Carbon Grip & Throttle Kit

Big Kahuna
08-20-2008, 06:35 PM
SPEED CONTROL SISTEM 700 ROAD SCS
http://www.progrip.com/default.asp?tip=13&ite=gri

1058 1059

I finally installed the Pro Grip SCS Carbon Grip & Throttle Kit on the GT250R and all I have to say is... Wow, these things rock! Absolutely no grip slippage as the tubes are provided with the kit. The left grip is held on by two flush mounted set screws. I had them installed in a matter of minutes. I think I'm going to get these for all my bikes.

Crazy
08-20-2008, 06:43 PM
do you have to drill into the bars? or is there an existing hole the set screw goes into?

Big Kahuna
08-20-2008, 06:48 PM
No holes are needed. The throttle side replaces your stock tube and the clutch side slides on pretty snug and then is held in place by to opposing set screens that hold it tight against the bar.

jtemple
08-20-2008, 08:14 PM
I have a similar style set of grips on my mountain bike. They are on hard plastic tubes that clamp to the bars with some aluminum collars. They do NOT come off, and are super easy to take off/put on whenever the need arises. Grip slippage is a thing of the past. You can even replace the grips and re-use the aluminum collars.

I was curious if the throttle tube was a direct fit on those Progrips.

Big Kahuna
08-20-2008, 08:22 PM
They have two styles that seem to fit most bikes. The grips are glued onto the tubes, so when they go bad you'll need to replace the again as a unit.

jtemple
08-21-2008, 10:30 AM
I checked NewEnough for the grips, and they don't carry them. So, I shot them an email and asked if they were going to, because I was going to order some other stuff from them fairly soon.

Here's their response:

We actually did stock these, I thought it was an excellent idea but... ProGrip makes 2 fitment match ups for these, one is a Duc/Suz/Yam set and the other is the Apr/Hon/Kaw set. Everyone of these we sold was returned because they did not fit the make of motorcycle they said they would fit.

We researched through our supplier but no one could tell us anything so we returned them and pulled them from the website.

Sorry I couldn't help you with these but I felt that ProGrip should've done a better job with their fitment match up.

Big Kahuna
08-21-2008, 11:08 AM
I'm sure it was all user error. I fit mine no problem and I know a buddy who has them on a few of his bikes, all makes and models.

There are two different mounting points on the throttle tube you have to use the correct one. It's pretty obvious, one will be real loose and the other will be perfect. :)

I plan on buying a set for the Honda, but the set I bought for was for Suzuki and it fit my Hyosung bars and throttle assembly with no problems. Please, if it will fit my Hyosung, I don't see how they couldn't get them to fit more popular bikes. :)

Big Kahuna
08-22-2008, 11:42 AM
Hey I just checked with my buddy at it appears they did have a recall about a year or so ago. He even had problems with a set of grips that he had to ream out to get them working. They have fixed the problem and he hasn't had any worries since. :)

Big Kahuna
08-31-2008, 02:49 AM
Just put a set of these on the Repsol, again no problems during the install. Although they are gel grips, they seem a little tighter on the bars than their other gel grips.

I tell you, I can't put my finger on it, but the new throttle tube just feels better. I really like the feel on the both bikes and now I'm thinking of picking up another set for the 900RR, although I just replace the grips last week. :)

Dave
08-31-2008, 10:50 AM
so whats so great about those? regular grips dont slip if you glue em right

jtemple
08-31-2008, 12:02 PM
You don't have to mess with glue, they're easy to put on/take off over and over.

marko138
08-31-2008, 05:24 PM
I've never glued a pair of grips. Them shits just stay put by themselves.

dReWpY
09-01-2008, 02:42 AM
your a lucky sob

i have had to buy soft, i mean really soft grips since i shattered my right hand playing football a few years back, grip slippage sucks... i am still trying to find a good glue to get super soft compounds to stay stuck, if i dont the vibes kill my hand and make it so i cant even twist the throttle