PDA

View Full Version : Bolt Loosener?

JoJoYZF
08-21-2008, 10:56 PM
First off Im not even sure if loosener is a real word but whatever. Anyway, when I tried to break the engine mount bolt free a little while ago to install my frame sliders, it didnt want to break free. Im determined to get them out tomorrow. Is there such a thing as some sort of spray that helps loosen them or I just have to fight them and hope not to strip the bolts? Figured Id ask before I get my ass kicked by them.

jtemple
08-21-2008, 10:57 PM
WD-40?

impact wrench?

I have both, but you aren't anywhere near me.

Dnyce
08-21-2008, 11:08 PM
penetrator-i have a can, its the shit that melts styrofoam cups. cant remember the exact name. that, and a breaker bar. leverage is your friend. if you have a full size jack, take the handle off, slide it on to your rachet and use that. should be easy that way. mite not even need the penetrator

Cutty72
08-22-2008, 12:53 AM
-penetrating oil
-WD 40
-JB 80
-break free

all good options, and then like already said, good leverage on a breaker bar.

JoJoYZF
08-22-2008, 01:02 AM
I figured there was something, I just wasnt sure what would do it, or if wd40 would work. I was gonna give the jack handle a shot tomorrow, just didnt have much time the last time I tried so I was trying to do it with the plastics still on(not much room to operate).

Dnyce
08-22-2008, 01:46 AM
nice avy..

......shes way underage aint she.

dReWpY
08-22-2008, 03:47 AM
20 yo

Mr Lefty
08-22-2008, 04:16 AM
PB Blaster... best I've used.

OTB
08-22-2008, 07:43 AM
Any penetrating oil (liquid wrench, ect.) will work. On tough bolts USE A GOOD QUALITY SIX POINT (Rather than 12 pt) SOCKET, like Sears or Allen, ect., not a cheap import. The reason is, 12 pt sockets have a very small gripping are, and so the amount of pressure/sq in can be 3-4 times as much on the flats of the bolt heads as with a 6pt socket which uses the full face of each side of the hex to spread pressure. Good quality (but more expensive) sockets have tighter tolerances so they fit better, slip less and round out fewer bolt faces.

jtemple
08-22-2008, 08:43 AM
Also, if you're going to use a breaker bar, get yourself a rubber mallet and tap on it. You're less likely to strip/sheer off stuff that way.

z06boy
08-22-2008, 09:04 AM

Same here = good stuff !! :dthumb:

http://www.lighthouseind.com/images/products/thumb_pbblaster.jpg

MikeSP1
08-22-2008, 09:40 AM

can't get anything better.

JoJoYZF
08-22-2008, 10:20 AM
nice avy..

......shes way underage aint she.

Nope, like drewpy said, shes 20. See summer olympic thread, its Alicia Sacromone.

Thanks guys, I should have a rubber mallet sitting around and Ill be lookin for the PB blaster.

Gas Man
08-22-2008, 12:42 PM
PB BLaster is JAWSOME!!

And yes... WD40 is a penetrating oil not a lubricant!!!

azoomm
08-22-2008, 01:20 PM
PB BLaster is JAWSOME!!

And yes... WD40 is a penetrating oil not a lubricant!!!

Another vote for PB Blaster :dthumb:

Mr Lefty
08-22-2008, 08:45 PM
just a tip with PB Blaster... spray it... let it sit... try to loosen... if it doesn't work... spray some more... let it sit... try again... eventually it'll seep in... don't try to FORCE the issue too much...

I had a bolt that we put 150ftlbs of pressure on to loosen... no luck... after trying 3 or 4 times with no luck with the spray sit spray sit... it still wouldn't bust loose... I soaked the fucker over night... came out... and was able to crack the bolt with the 30ftlbs it was supposed to be holding with... and use my fingers to remove it the rest of the way.

just be patient PB Baster won't remove busted bolts :lol:

JoJoYZF
08-22-2008, 08:47 PM
Nice tip ebbs. Got the stuff to work and got my frame sliders put on finally. Even got motivated and tied up some other loose ends with the tail light I put on a little while ago.

Mr Lefty
08-22-2008, 08:50 PM
that's me... always timely with advice!:lol:

JoJoYZF
08-22-2008, 08:53 PM
Well luckily these ones didnt come to that but Im sure Ill come across some that will eventually.

NONE_too_SOFT
08-22-2008, 08:56 PM
penetrator-i have a can, its the shit that melts styrofoam cups. cant remember the exact name. that, and a breaker bar. leverage is your friend. if you have a full size jack, take the handle off, slide it on to your rachet and use that. should be easy that way. mite not even need the penetrator

just be sure you've to a good fit on the socket, or you're gonna end up drilling it out.

Mr Lefty
08-22-2008, 09:05 PM
just be sure you've to a good fit on the socket, or you're gonna end up drilling it out.

exactly... extra force is not always a good thing...

i've gotten into the practice that if it requires anything more than 10% more force to take it out than it's spec... then the PB blaster comes out... I soak it... and go work on something else... or grab a drink. come back and usually good to go

MikeSP1
08-22-2008, 09:12 PM
I case you round off the head of a bolt, here's the easiest way to get it out. I've had to do some amazing things with these and they have NEVER slipped.

http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/jhtml/browse.jhtml?catId=IrwinCat100511

Gas Man
08-23-2008, 09:16 PM
just a tip with PB Blaster... spray it... let it sit... try to loosen... if it doesn't work... spray some more... let it sit... try again... eventually it'll seep in... don't try to FORCE the issue too much...

I had a bolt that we put 150ftlbs of pressure on to loosen... no luck... after trying 3 or 4 times with no luck with the spray sit spray sit... it still wouldn't bust loose... I soaked the fucker over night... came out... and was able to crack the bolt with the 30ftlbs it was supposed to be holding with... and use my fingers to remove it the rest of the way.

just be patient PB Baster won't remove busted bolts :lol:

That is actually a great tip for any penetrating oil!! Good going Ebbs! :dthumb:

ceo012384
08-24-2008, 11:19 PM
The only thing better than PB blaster is Kroil... but it's really fucking hard to find and very expensive.

PB is good shit for 99% of things.

Gas Man
08-25-2008, 03:39 AM
I have some LST stuff that works KILLER too!