PDA

View Full Version : Track Day Bike Prep

zortness
02-29-2008, 01:48 PM
Some general information about prepping your bike for a track day.

1. Tires and brake pads need to be in near new condition. If you are unsure, call the track provider and ask if a tire vendor will be present at the track day. Tire vendors will often offer track day specials on new tires, should you need them.

2. Mirrors need to be removed or taped over. I suggest removing them. They are directly in your line of sight when you are leaning off of the bike.

3. Throttle: The throttle should move freely and snap back into the closed position when released. Throttles usually have one or two cables with a screw type adjustment on the cable with two pieces that lock together that can be used to adjust the play.

4. Clutch Lever: The lever should have very little "play" (non-tensioned movement) on the cable and completely disengage the clutch when pulled in. Most cable-style clutches will have a screw type adjustment similar to the throttle cable.

5. Brake Lever: The lever should have very little play and should not be easily pulled all the way to the hand grip. If your brakes are too "soft", try bleeding the brakes and adding new fluid. Fluid should be mostly clear.

6. The bike must have a working kill-switch on the hand controls.

7. Headlights and taillights need to be removed taped over. I recommend blue painter's tape or vinyl.

8. Blinkers need to be taped over or removed.

9. Wheel weights need to be taped over. Duct tape works well for this.

10. Radiator Fluid: Most bikes come with a glycol-based coolant. The problem is, these coolants are very slick should a crash occur. Most tracks recommend Water Wetter or another glycol free coolant, but do not require it for track days (racing is another story). Miller Motorsports Park requires glycol free coolant for all vehicles on the track at all times.

11. Your engine needs to be in good working order. No leaks!

12. Tighten/Check frequently removed bolts, oil drain bolt, oil filter etc. These are the most common reasons for black flags, nasty wrecks, and long track delays. Also, check that your chain slack is within specifications.

13. Oil: Make sure your fluid level is correct before you arrive at the track. Oil will usually deteriorate more quickly with track use than street use.

14. Safety wiring is not required by track day organizations, but it is required for racing. Safety wiring can save a lot of preparation time and add peace of mind, but it is difficult and takes a good amount of time.

post credit (http://702sportbikes.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1160)

marko138
02-29-2008, 02:40 PM
Prep is very important. And most places will not refund your money if your bike doens't pass Tech.

Cutty72
02-29-2008, 02:57 PM
Not only the loss of money for the track day, but you miss out on a lot of fun as well!

azoomm
02-29-2008, 07:07 PM
Also note: Chain must have proper tension... and sprocket in good condition.

Last year I had to fail someone because their sprocket was missing teeth. I thought it was a common sense thing, I guess not.:idk:

zortness
02-29-2008, 07:43 PM
That's pretty sad, I would think that's common sense too... Maybe I should add that in, heh.

Cutty72
03-01-2008, 05:00 AM

Last year I had to fail someone because their sprocket was missing teeth. I thought it was a common sense thing, I guess not.:idk:

what if you're bike doesn't have a chain?? :whistle:

marko138
03-01-2008, 08:41 AM

Wow. Thats amazing. Who the hell would even consider going to Tech w/ a sprocket missing teeth. :pg:

OneSickPsycho
03-01-2008, 01:10 PM
Wow. Thats amazing. Who the hell would even consider going to Tech w/ a sprocket missing teeth. :pg:

This guy...
http://www.erichufschmid.net/Dumb-down/super-retard.JPG

jalaan1
03-01-2008, 01:26 PM
thanks Zortness.

t-homo
03-01-2008, 09:00 PM
Awesome post man. You have a ton of track info in ya.

Gas Man
03-02-2008, 11:18 AM
You forgot one... if this is your first time out for the season... make sure you have gas in the tank... :whistle:

Smittie61984
03-30-2008, 09:08 AM
I guess I have a little while to go before I can be ready for track day.

I'll probably be needing new brakes fairly soon and I already have a track take off that needs to be replaced. Along with a sport touring Front Tire that is not a race compound. Which I hope to add SS brake lines so I guess I'll do that then.

My clutch has been going bad and has play in it. That needs to be replaced.

And I need a Kill Switch. So my question is now who makes Kill Switches? And can they be easily removed? I'd prefer not having something that could easily kill my bike out on the street. Such as having someone come up and remove it for a joke or just to be an ass then have my stranded somewhere.

Great Info though. Just sucks because it will take a lot of money for me to get my bike up to prep.