PDA

View Full Version : Track Day Rider Gear

zortness
02-29-2008, 01:49 PM
General information about gear to bring to a track day.

1. Helmet - Must be a full-faced unit approved by any of the usual suspects (DOT, Snell, etc), and it must have a chin strap.

2. Full Coverage Leathers – These come in varying degrees of quality which we can't control. For our purposes you must have a full set of leathers. If they are two piece they must zip together at least ¾ of the way around your waist.

3. Gloves – These must be a leather riding glove that extends above the wrist, often called a gauntlet style glove. They must also have a cinching device at the wrist; some sort of strap that can be tightened around the wrist. Some of the first things to come off in a crash, street or track, are gloves if they're not cinched around the wrist. No motocross gloves.

4. Boots – The second item that comes off in a crash is foot wear. For the track you must wear leather boots that extend above the ankle; not ankle high, but above the ankle. I recommend racing style boots, as they offer the most protection.

5. Back Protector – Most track day organizations are now requiring back protectors. These devices usually do two things. First, they protect the spine from impact and abrasion. Second, they are designed to prevent the spine from flexing backwards beyond the normal human range of motion.

post credit (http://702sportbikes.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1159)

marko138
02-29-2008, 02:50 PM
Back protector is a must. Chest protector would be a great benefit as well.

zortness
02-29-2008, 04:09 PM
Yup, I use a KNOX chest protector in addition to my other gear.

Trip
02-29-2008, 04:58 PM
STT is really ramping up chest protector advice. I bet they require it soon.

marko138
02-29-2008, 04:59 PM
I'm looking to buy one this season. Maybe a Bohn.

t-homo
03-01-2008, 09:02 PM
What exactly does a chest protector do? Hypothetically I would think that a persons arms would be covering their chest anyway.

Mr Lefty
03-01-2008, 09:19 PM
What exactly does a chest protector do? Hypothetically I would think that a persons arms would be covering their chest anyway.

only if they've got the presence of mind to pull their arms in.... not everyone does... especially people who aren't used to going down.

OneSickPsycho
03-01-2008, 10:45 PM
only if they've got the presence of mind to pull their arms in.... not everyone does... especially people who aren't used to going down.

And those who get knocked the fuck out when their head hits the pavement.

Mr Lefty
03-01-2008, 10:50 PM
And those who get knocked the fuck out when their head hits the pavement.

true that!

t-homo
03-02-2008, 11:46 PM
True. Guess I didn't think about that.

Mrs. Colleen
03-03-2008, 01:08 AM
1. CHECK!
2. CHECK!
3. CHECK!
4. CHECK!
5. CHECK!

I bought all my gear with the intention of someday soon making it to the track. All I need now is a few more miles under my belt...either this spring or shortly after the summer. No summer riding in the desert! :willy:

:beers:

DLIT
03-03-2008, 02:31 AM
I find that spine protectors help prevent me from becoming crossed-up. They help me too move my upper body with my lower.

Mr Lefty
03-03-2008, 02:47 AM
I find that spine protectors help prevent me from becoming crossed-up. They help me too move my upper body with my lower.

what kind do you have?

DLIT
03-03-2008, 03:02 AM
what kind do you have?

Astars. Forget the model name. The first or second priciest one. Bought it off of Chappy during my mid-tour TD in September. He came down from Cali and did the track day with us.

Mr Lefty
03-03-2008, 03:08 AM
Astars. Forget the model name. The first or second priciest one. Bought it off of Chappy during my mid-tour TD in September. He came down from Cali and did the track day with us.

nice... speak'n of Chappy... where is that mofo?

DLIT
03-03-2008, 03:13 AM

No idea. He's usually on the 702 forum for Vegas and SoCal track days, but he hasn't been on that one in a long time either. At least since October, I think.

Mr Lefty
03-03-2008, 03:22 AM
No idea. He's usually on the 702 forum for Vegas and SoCal track days, but he hasn't been on that one in a long time either. At least since October, I think.

Well I hope he's doing alright... very cool dude :2cents:

DLIT
03-03-2008, 03:24 AM
Well I hope he's doing alright... very cool dude :2cents:

Yeah. I went riding the canyons in Cali with him and also did a track day with him. Real cool guy. I still have his number too. Gonna hafta call him when I get back.

Mr Lefty
03-03-2008, 03:27 AM
Yeah. I went riding the canyons in Cali with him and also did a track day with him. Real cool guy. I still have his number too. Gonna hafta call him when I get back.

try PM'n him on:twf: invite him here... you gotta break up the address though.. they've added it to the swear word block... :lol:

DLIT
03-03-2008, 03:28 AM
try PM'n him on:twf: invite him here... you gotta break up the address though.. they've added it to the swear word block... :lol:

i'm at work and will forget to by the time I get home (2330).

Mr Lefty
03-03-2008, 03:31 AM
i'm at work and will forget to by the time I get home (2330).

well how bout this... DON'T FUCKING FORGET! :lol:

DLIT
03-03-2008, 03:37 AM
well how bout this... DON'T FUCKING FORGET! :lol:

How 'bout you eat a bag of dicks.

Mr Lefty
03-03-2008, 03:42 AM
How 'bout you eat a bag of dicks.

:lol: that reminds me of my TI... he told another trainee he looked like a bag of smashed assholes :lmao: I was laughing even while I was doing the pushups for laughing :lol:

DLIT
03-03-2008, 03:54 AM
:lol: that reminds me of my TI... he told another trainee he looked like a bag of smashed assholes :lmao: I was laughing even while I was doing the pushups for laughing :lol:

We had one guy that was laughing too loud and my TI told him to go into the bathroom and flush the toilet 20 times. After each flush, he had to laugh out loud. We were all in the day room laughing our asses off. Even our TI was laughing. He had to stop him early because we were getting out of hand. It was towards the last week there or so, so it was more relaxed.

Mr Lefty
03-03-2008, 04:04 AM
We had one guy that was laughing too loud and my TI told him to go into the bathroom and flush the toilet 20 times. After each flush, he had to laugh out loud. We were all in the day room laughing our asses off. Even our TI was laughing. He had to stop him early because we were getting out of hand. It was towards the last week there or so, so it was more relaxed.

:lol: I kinda wanna go back and be a TI... but I think I'd just bust out laughing at trainee dumbfuck when he screws up... :lol:

DLIT
03-03-2008, 04:42 AM
:lol: I kinda wanna go back and be a TI... but I think I'd just bust out laughing at trainee dumbfuck when he screws up... :lol:

I would either laugh too much or get fired for insulting their dumb asses too much.

Mr Lefty
03-03-2008, 05:01 AM
I would either laugh too much or get fired for insulting their dumb asses too much.

yeah truly it'd probably be fired... I don't believe in that fucking time out bull shit

zortness
03-03-2008, 01:32 PM
He came to the race in January at fontana to watch a few of us. He said he didn't have internet access for a while, but just this morning he posted on the 702sportbikes forums to say hi.

Rider
03-03-2008, 01:34 PM
He came to the race in January at fontana to watch a few of us. He said he didn't have internet access for a while, but just this morning he posted on the 702sportbikes forums to say hi.

Then send him a link.. :twfix:

Mr Lefty
03-03-2008, 03:46 PM
Nice... tell that fucker I say what's up!
Then send him a link.. :twfix:
Hell yeah

his bike was :drool:

DLIT
03-04-2008, 03:16 AM
Nice... tell that fucker I say what's up!

Hell yeah

his bike was :drool:

His bike was even better in person, trust me. Nice pearl shade to it. Real smooth too. Wet-sanded it and everything.

Mr Lefty
03-04-2008, 03:25 AM
His bike was even better in person, trust me. Nice pearl shade to it. Real smooth too. Wet-sanded it and everything.

NICE...