PDA

View Full Version : Yet another not so quick-quick fix...the blue is GONE!

Mrs. Colleen
09-06-2008, 12:54 PM
You would think switching out a windscreen would be a quick swap, right? :willy: :willy:

First issue...the pre-drilled holes in the new screen were too small. Luckily my husband is really handy and he could drill the holes a bit bigger.

Once the holes were drilled I was able to pop the rubber covered nuts into the holes. From there I tried to line up the holes to get the little rubber pieces to pop into the holes on the upper fairing. But that was not as easy as it may sound! :willy: :no: I found that the easiest way to get them to go through was to twist the back of the nut and it would help it pop through the second piece of plastic. WELLLLL...I could not get my hand behind the right bottom one so it was just about impossible to get the piece to go through. :willy:

I should of taken pictures because this is hard to explain...

Anyway...I decided to just leave the bottom right nut as is and not have it go through the upper since there is a rubber washer that covers it and you would not be able to tell. After I decided to leave it I get to the top right piece and realize the rubber cover on the nut has a rib on it (the rubber is scrunched up) and it does not look long enough to go through both the windscreen and fairing. I wanted to make sure that this one did go though both pieces so I decided to swap the bottom right and the top right. WELL...once I got the bottom one out (the one I cannot really reach behind) I could NOT get the new one in! :willy: :bash: This became an event that both my husband and I spent WAY too much time trying to figure out. :willy:

Finally this morning after another 15-20 minutes of twisting and pulling the thing with a pair of tweezers I FINALLY got the bitch through the windscreen. At this point I do not CARE that it does not go through both pieces. :willy:

CLIFFNOTES...

Before...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/AFIDrummerGirl/Bike%20Pics/IMG_4815.jpg

During...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/AFIDrummerGirl/Bike%20Pics/NoScreen.jpg

After...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/AFIDrummerGirl/Bike%20Pics/DarkScreen.jpg

One more thing I found out. Because of the awful blue windscreen I never realize that the screws holding the thing on are also blue! :bash: :willy: You cannot really tell in the picture because the anodizing is mostly fading...but up close it is still tinted and new bolts are free (from hubby's work.) So I have to replace those at some point too. :td:

I will get better pictures this weekend...hard to take pics on the little patio.

And for whoever mentioned that the smoke screen is too dark at night/in full tuck...the blue was much darker and harder to see though than the new one. :cheers:

azoomm
09-06-2008, 02:41 PM
Looks GREAT!

marko138
09-06-2008, 02:44 PM
Looks way better than the blue.

Amber Lamps
09-06-2008, 02:49 PM

Yea the blue looked out of place. On a side note,I always pony up for a new mounting kit when I replace my wind shield and the secret,at least on my bike, is to remove the gauges so you can get down behind the fairing.:2cents:

marko138
09-06-2008, 02:50 PM
Yea the blue looked out of place. On a side note,I always pony up for a new mounting kit when I replace my wind shield and the secret,at least on my bike, is to remove the gauges so you can get down behind the fairing.:2cents:
I just took the whole front fairing off mine when I changed it.

Mrs. Colleen
09-06-2008, 04:07 PM
I just took the whole front fairing off mine when I changed it.

If I ever have to do it again...that will be the way I do it. :willy:

marko138
09-06-2008, 05:26 PM
Of course I couldn't get the gauges off w/o removing the aforementioned fairing anyway.

Amber Lamps
09-06-2008, 07:11 PM
Hey did you guys drill bigger holes in the fairing to put the well nuts in? OMG! Typically,the well nuts go into the fairing stay/support and/or the windshield which you slide behind the fairing and then you put the screws into the fairing and into the well nuts which pull the windshield up tight to the fairing! No wonder you had such problems!:hangman:

Mrs. Colleen
09-06-2008, 09:05 PM
Hey did you guys drill bigger holes in the fairing to put the well nuts in? OMG! Typically,the well nuts go into the fairing stay/support and/or the windshield which you slide behind the fairing and then you put the screws into the fairing and into the well nuts which pull the windshield up tight to the fairing! No wonder you had such problems!:hangman:

NO NO! The aftermarket windscreen's holes were too small. The nuts did not fit into the windscreen. Mark drilled the windscreen...not the fairing.

DLIT
09-06-2008, 10:00 PM

Agree

Trip
09-06-2008, 11:12 PM
Wow, bike is looking great colleen

getting rid of the blue definitely cleaned it up a ton.

JoJoYZF
09-07-2008, 01:30 AM

No doubt.

And marko, the beetlejuice avy is awesome.

Amber Lamps
09-07-2008, 02:55 AM
NO NO! The aftermarket windscreen's holes were too small. The nuts did not fit into the windscreen. Mark drilled the windscreen...not the fairing.

Oh...are there bigger holes in the fairing stay/support? Sometimes you put the well nuts into the fairing stay and run the bolts thru the fairing and the windshield.

In the pics it looked like you had the well nuts thru the fairing and the windshield. Anyway,looks good!!

marko138
09-07-2008, 09:15 AM
No doubt.

And marko, the beetlejuice avy is awesome.
Thanks man.

Mrs. Colleen
09-07-2008, 11:45 AM
Oh...are there bigger holes in the fairing stay/support? Sometimes you put the well nuts into the fairing stay and run the bolts thru the fairing and the windshield.

In the pics it looked like you had the well nuts thru the fairing and the windshield. Anyway,looks good!!

When I took off the old windscreen the rubber nuts were though both the windscreen and the fairing. :idk: All but one fit fine going through both. You cannot see them in the pictures...you can see the rubber washers that cover the nuts. :cheers:

Amber Lamps
09-07-2008, 01:37 PM
When I took off the old windscreen the rubber nuts were though both the windscreen and the fairing. :idk: All but one fit fine going through both. You cannot see them in the pictures...you can see the rubber washers that cover the nuts. :cheers:

Oh,I see...well it definitely looks better!

Mrs. Colleen
09-07-2008, 01:47 PM
Oh,I see...well it definitely looks better!

I just uncovered her this morning and for the first time it looks complete and finished. :D I still want to switch out those blue bolts...and the blue clutch cable adjuster (:td:) but as a whole I am so happy with this bike both mechanically and aesthetically. :rockout: :cheers:

Amber Lamps
09-07-2008, 03:40 PM
I just uncovered her this morning and for the first time it looks complete and finished. :D I still want to switch out those blue bolts...and the blue clutch cable adjuster (:td:) but as a whole I am so happy with this bike both mechanically and aesthetically. :rockout: :cheers:

Yep I really rode mine today since rebuilding it and I'm quite happy myself! Everyone seems to like the Jordan plastic and I LOVE white soooooo.... WIN/WIN!

Dnyce
09-07-2008, 04:44 PM
that looks really freakin gd, nice.:dthumb:

and that was me that mentioned about it being alil hard to see at nite in full tuck, but you got the smoke one, not the dark smoke, which is what i was talkin about.

Amber Lamps
09-07-2008, 07:28 PM
that looks really freakin gd, nice.:dthumb:

and that was me that mentioned about it being alil hard to see at nite in full tuck, but you got the smoke one, not the dark smoke, which is what i was talkin about.

Ah..who full tucks on the street anyway? Besides my old,broken down ass can't hardly get that low anymore!!! I'm putting an opaque shield on my bike when it comes in.

Gas Man
09-07-2008, 09:17 PM
Why not just put the well nuts in the windscreen then slide that into place and bolt in??? That is how I have done every one I've ever done...

Amber Lamps
09-07-2008, 09:38 PM
Why not just put the well nuts in the windscreen then slide that into place and bolt in??? That is how I have done every one I've ever done...

psssttt....because someone drilled out her fairing previously and fucked it all up... shhhh!!!! Also,I think originally the well nuts sat in the fairing stay and you ran the bolts thru both the fairing and the windshield. OR it was before they started using well nuts and there were actual nuts on the back...

Mrs. Colleen
09-07-2008, 09:46 PM
What exactly are well nuts? Can you describe them to me?

The fairing (and the blue screen) have obviously never been drilled.

Amber Lamps
09-07-2008, 10:45 PM

Um I posted a pic a few replies ago... Hey I downloaded your service manual and owner's manual. If I ever figure out how to send it to you I will! Funny thing is,it didn't show the windshield...

Mrs. Colleen
09-07-2008, 10:56 PM
Um I posted a pic a few replies ago... Hey I downloaded your service manual and owner's manual. If I ever figure out how to send it to you I will! Funny thing is,it didn't show the windshield...

We have the service manual and it is not helpful in the windscreen department. :td:

The pictures you posted looks similar to mine...thin metal nut type piece covered in rubber. The rubber pieces have to go in the windscreen in order to screw the bolts in.

We looked at my husband's bike and his rubber nuts go through both the windscreen and the upper too.

Amber Lamps
09-07-2008, 11:03 PM
We have the service manual and it is not helpful in the windscreen department. :td:

The pictures you posted looks similar to mine...thin metal nut type piece covered in rubber. The rubber pieces have to go in the windscreen in order to screw the bolts in.

We looked at my husband's bike and his rubber nuts go through both the windscreen and the upper too.

did he install that one too?..............j/k!

Ah I don't know,it's been years since I replaced a shield in a Yamaha. Maybe that's the way they go then. It just makes you have larger fastener presence...

z06boy
09-08-2008, 12:46 PM
Definitely looks better.

Gas Man
09-09-2008, 01:27 PM

Well nuts are those rubber things with threaded holes for bolts to go thru...

z06boy
09-09-2008, 02:42 PM
http://fstg.motosport.com/motographics/images/products/Metric/07body/NylonWdscnScrKitwWN.jpg

Quick281
10-04-2008, 01:14 AM
Nice! Glad to see you finally got rid of the blue!