PDA

View Full Version : The fun of owning a "different" bike

dReWpY
09-06-2008, 03:37 PM
the headlight on my rc blew a bulb, that or i am low on headlight fluid either way, i took the clip off that held it on and now it is mia, i called honda and had them look at the microfiche and i looked online, the part does not exist... i have a h7 with an h4 prong, the computer shows a socket that the plus goes into, my bike does not have the said plug.

so i am out the clip that holds it in, cant find a plug that will work, looks like she will be a one eyed pig until i can get some help figuring it out...

marko138
09-06-2008, 05:25 PM
That sucks. I went through that bullshit looking for a part for the petcock on the Zuk. The dealer microfiche showed a completely different looking petcock. I was out of luck.

No Worries
09-06-2008, 07:21 PM
If it's like the ones on my CBR, it's springy steel wire bent in a very weird shape to hold the bulb base against the mount. Knowing Honda, they should all be the same. Look at some other Honda microfiche and see if you can find it.

By the way, my CBR used Honda's proprietary 45/45 watt H4 bulbs with the two lower tabs at a different angle than standard H4 bulbs. I got standard 55/60 watt H4 bulbs and snipped off the lower tabs. The top tab centers the bulb and the springy wire holds it in.

Amber Lamps
09-06-2008, 07:34 PM
the headlight on my rc blew a bulb, that or i am low on headlight fluid either way, i took the clip off that held it on and now it is mia, i called honda and had them look at the microfiche and i looked online, the part does not exist... i have a h7 with an h4 prong, the computer shows a socket that the plus goes into, my bike does not have the said plug.

so i am out the clip that holds it in, cant find a plug that will work, looks like she will be a one eyed pig until i can get some help figuring it out...

are you talking about that little wire like deal that hold the bulb in place? If so just get one from anything and make it work. The headlights for most,if not all of the bike makers are made by the same companies. An H7 clip,is an H7 clip. Heck,you could make one out of a paperclip if you wanted. You may also find something that will work in the "help" section of an auto parts store.

Is this it?

Amber Lamps
09-06-2008, 07:42 PM
If it's like the ones on my CBR, it's springy steel wire bent in a very weird shape to hold the bulb base against the mount. Knowing Honda, they should all be the same. Look at some other Honda microfiche and see if you can find it.

By the way, my CBR used Honda's proprietary 45/45 watt H4 bulbs with the two lower tabs at a different angle than standard H4 bulbs. I got standard 55/60 watt H4 bulbs and snipped off the lower tabs. The top tab centers the bulb and the springy wire holds it in.

Ha! I had to do that with aftermarket high wattage bulbs back in the day!

OneSickPsycho
09-06-2008, 08:03 PM
Sorta like riding a thousand miles on a bike that's running like shit and spending hundreds of dollars at multilple dealers only to never be able to find the problem... Wait... no it's not.

Cutty72
09-06-2008, 08:59 PM
And just as a side note. The pics in parts manuals won't always match the actual part on the bike. The part number could be correct but the pic in the book look totally different.

No Worries
09-06-2008, 10:10 PM
are you talking about that little wire like deal that hold the bulb in place? If so just get one from anything and make it work. The headlights for most,if not all of the bike makers are made by the same companies. An H7 clip,is an H7 clip. Heck,you could make one out of a paperclip if you wanted. You may also find something that will work in the "help" section of an auto parts store.

Is this it?

With two wires, I assume that the H7 is either high or low beam, but not both, like the three-wire H4. If it was mine, I would take the H7 wiring out and put in H4 wiring, to get both lamps on for low and high beam. Is the H7 bulb mount the same as the H4 (three tabs at noon, four, and eight o'clock)? Or is it made where that can't be done?

Amber Lamps
09-07-2008, 03:07 AM
With two wires, I assume that the H7 is either high or low beam, but not both, like the three-wire H4. If it was mine, I would take the H7 wiring out and put in H4 wiring, to get both lamps on for low and high beam. Is the H7 bulb mount the same as the H4 (three tabs at noon, four, and eight o'clock)? Or is it made where that can't be done?

Yea,there's one tab and two "raised areas" at 4 and 8 o'clock respectively. Isn't the biggest problem the fact that H4s are dual filament and H7s are single? The plug I posted will go from a H4 plug to a H7 bulb. He could always buy a H7 plug and wire it in or retro fit a H4 bulb.

dReWpY
01-27-2009, 10:41 AM
bump still need to fix this...

marko138
01-27-2009, 10:49 AM
Get to it.

No Worries
01-29-2009, 12:48 AM
Take the wire out of the other side and bend your paperclip to match it.

Mr Lefty
01-29-2009, 01:05 AM

you should talk to MikeSP1... he may have an extra one... he said he had parts...

other than that check RC51 sites to see if anyones got a bike they're parting out... :idk:

what exactly are you looking for... the same clip that Tigger showed in his pics? you could get some wire and make your own ya know... I've done that on my truck with a similar type clip. can't remember the guage I used but it's just steel wire

Tmall
01-29-2009, 06:20 AM
Fuck it. If you're too scared to do it yourself. I'll bend the paperclip for you and charge you 75 bucks. Just so you can have the dealer experience.

Pm me if you're interested.

Quick281
01-29-2009, 06:24 AM
Fuck it. If you're too scared to do it yourself. I'll bend the paperclip for you and charge you 75 bucks. Just so you can have the dealer experience.

Pm me if you're interested.

Rookie....

I have a better dealership experience. I will provide an OEM paper clip, 12 point inspection, and labor for only 199.99+tax. Call for an appointment.

dReWpY
01-29-2009, 03:20 PM
i went to a dealer and they said had to buy whole new fucking headlight unit for a nice and easy price of 199.98, fuck that, been to a few autozone, O'riellys and they arent much help, now im looking on boards for ppl parting out there wrecked rc's

Mr Lefty
01-29-2009, 03:24 PM
have you tried taking the clip off the other side... going to Lowes or Home Depot and looking at steel wire? find the guage closest to it and just make your own... :idk:

in fact... safety wire may work for this... now that I think about it... but I've never used the stuff so I don't know how thick it is

xx CURVE xx
01-29-2009, 03:53 PM
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f269/xxCURVExx/DUCT-TAPE-3M.jpg

Cutty72
01-29-2009, 08:23 PM

Truth.

marko138
01-30-2009, 07:59 AM
Now we're talking.